It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two cops shot in 12 hours in Philadelphia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

Admin edit to remove personal attacks. A moderator advised to stop this activity in a previous post in this thread.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by SimonGray]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
From this point forth, users shall not engage in personal attacks or the thread will be closed.

This is an open warning to ALL posters. Please discuss the story at hand.

apc

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

Why?

It's the same logic as hate crime legislation.

Murder is murder and justice should be dispensed equally regardless of the employment of the victim.

Being a cop isn't like being an elected official. It's just a job. There's nothing special about them.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This is a tragedy and no laughing matter. I'm glad some posters stood up in defense. I'm fully against police violence, but we can't assume every cop is like that. There's good and some bad with each profession. I'll admit my grandfather was a sheriff but that doesn't make me fully biased, these cops have families just like everyone else, that suffer just the same with loss.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It saddens me when people fall into the peasant versus peasant battle. (Bad guys hurt cops, cops hurt normal people.) mentality. But I would guess this serves the purpose of the true criminals laughing high above.

As far as I am concerned cops, protesters and probably many criminals are both just common people being told what to think from an early age.

If the Elite "powers that be" can get people to attack cops, then get cops to attack people they can really ratchet up the tyranny. The real enemies are the ones indoctrinating the cops and us, they are far above the donut shop patrol officer. And violence is never the answer.

Besides if things ever really get bad, we will need the police to stand against tyranny and enforce the Constitution of the United States, instead of the current desire for a dictatorship.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I am not sure if anyone has seen this, but I just read it. As I am over the other side of the globe, I couldn't imagine what the streets of Philly are like. This article provides some insight into the level of crime and tensions on the streets.

Posted on ABC 23/10/07
blogs.abc.net.au...

In Philadelphia thousands of men, most of them dressed in black, have stepped forward to volunteer to serve as peacekeepers on the streets of the violence plagued city.

It's the official launch of the 10,000 men project, an ambitious plan to have mostly African-American men patrol crime-ridden areas of the city.

So far this year there have been 321 murders in Philadelphia, almost all committed with a gun.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
All the shootings look unrelated. I always find it amusing when a cop is killed and the police go no holds barred after the perp. Seems the victim's employment matters.

I don't find anything about this amusing, but your observation regarding police response to "officer down" is obvious and disconcerting, at best.

I don't begrudge the police for looking after their own, but in a place like New Orleans, where murder was a daily occurrence and the murder rate is still very high, cops become pretty blasé regarding crime.

When I was hit by a car in 1989 and the cops arrived, they acted like I'd staged the incident, broken leg and all. One even kicked my leg to see if I was telling the truth.

Later, I was recounting the event to my landlord who was a former Chief of Police and he said nonchalantly that the cop was just checking to see if my leg was really broken.

However, when a cop got hurt in New Orleans, you could hear dozens of sirens responding from all parts of the city.

Yet, my opinion of cops is still good. I see them for what they are--humans out there doing a job the best they can and just like any profession a few corrupt morons can make life hard for all the rest.

These are tragedies and they should be viewed as such.

[edit on 2007/11/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
As I am over the other side of the globe, I couldn't imagine what the streets of Philly are like.

Well I can tell you first hand what they are like, you are probably getting the wrong picture from reading information such as the excerpts you posted. Like I said, it all depends on where you live, who you know and what you do. I feel safe and so do the majority of the city, not everyone nor every part is plagued by gun violence. I hate to say it but it is only a small part of the mostly black community, and mostly certain areas where this type of violence occurs. Most of the time it's gang, drug, or criminally related, as in the people getting shot were involved somehow. Then of course you have the innocent (dead) bystander, the (dead) dude getting mugged or the (dead) guy getting robbed. As for the citizen watch thing, nonsense, they have failed to even recruit a few hundred volunteers much less ten thousand, just another "dumb" move by our police commissioner and the likewise idiotic and corrupt mayor. There's promise in the new Democratic (candidate as of now but for all purposes) mayor of Philadelphia and his new police commoner, we shall wait and see. Anyway, these people, would volunteer to "monitor" their area of residence (neighborhood) and alert police if they see anything suspicious, they will not be armed nor dressed like batman. This program has gotten no where and it's not visible nor has it been effective as of yet. Naturally however it will only lead to more violence as "snitches" and their families are prime targets... But I digress...

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Wow, what a disgrace when you can't even have a doughnut anymore without being shot in the head. I hope they find the dude. Peace out my dead homie cop. Y(^_^)

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

oh thank you for providing a clearer picture. It is unfortunate that for others like me, we rely on media to give us the story. It seems as though the one I provided is extreme.

thanks again
I appreciate it.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I for one will forgo the 500 points that I lost to make sure that the point i was making is taken to heart. I take warnings to heart and I would not put myself out there unless i felt I should. Read my posts. I have been beaten and abused many many times and this put me over. We are supposed to deny ignorance on this site, not promote it through hate of law enforcement

Play nice??? You are advocating violence against law enforcement, I mean, under the patriot act I think I could find a DHS worker to arrest you.

I do not apologize for the personal attack nor do I feel I was out of line. I was advocating for the family of the officer that died, not laughing in their face as eyewitness was. Was he warned or slapped for malicious posting??? How were his words any different than ours against him???

Bottom line is there are officers who are killed each day with families in traffic stops, domestic disputes and accidents. If we as citizens are not allowed to stand up for those who protect us, what future does this country have? If we all thought as eyewitness, we would be living in a society that none of us would enjoy nor be able to survive from.

There is sarcasm, and there is narcissism. where should we draw the line in this forum????????

PS- I find it strange that one can make fun of death and not be warned. Pretty freaked up........

[edit on 2-11-2007 by esdad71]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

I didn't complain but this line: "" police also wear Che gueverra t-shirts and think Ron Paul is the best candidate for our future. "" was a little uncalled for.

The revolutionary's name is w/ one R by the way and Ron Paul is, by far, the best candidate -- who else could you possibly like?

[][][]

Back to the topic at hand, there was a big peace rally in Philly today, too bad Mayor Street is a bum and his press conference was a monotone joke about catching this killer. The videotape shows how twisted this punk was -- walked right up to him at the counter - BLAM - point blank.

Yeah, it was cool last night about a lot of old school Philly heads volunteering to police the streets -- many hoods in Phila are beyond crime-ridden wastelands, and seriously no bias, the cops in Philly are really cool and usually are awesome about minor infringements but the outskirts are bordering on warzones, it's top 3 in the country -- Killadephia.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

That was sarcasm, and misspelling Che's name was not a huge mistake, it was a long day. Also, I wish Ron Paul all the luck in the world to be honest since no one is giving much of a showing. Again, sarcasm....I apologize for that if it upset anyone, honestly.

As far as Philly though, if you have ever lived in a large city you know that the job of a cop is one of the hardest there is. There is corruption, but there are alos good cops. People who go to work each day who want to make a difference. .

To me, the cop in the donut shop was
a) a hit, is he testifying against anyone or working a case
b) gang initiation, go kill a cop...

Add to that the 2 or 3 incidents each night that involve gunfire and it is a wonder more are not dead.

I got my arse handed to me by a cop for no reason and had my nose broken, but I am not going to teach my kids that all cops are bad. The attitude eyewitness stated makes me fear the fact they will have children one day and raise them to hate cops. It is no different than 'making' your child abide by your religion. Kids need freedom of choice as long as they are not hurting themselves.

NY was cleaned up and it is time to move farther south.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Pending on how you gauge "cleaned up" NY crime is still huge. Killings are down from 2k a year in the 90s, most recently. Here's a 'good' site w/ all the info:
www.disastercenter.com...

As per the Phila stuff, it's drug related, one of the cases.
www.philly.com...

Philly Inquirer is a good, local paper, they usually cover a story correctly. Guy walked right up to the cop's windshield.

www.whptv.com...

This is only about the post-shooting -- jumped in the river, died. That cop is recovering.

Here's another Inquirer article, kinda insane how this witness saw the hurt cop chasing the dude towards the river, the shooter jumps in, I know that hood well, the water is deep, can't believe he died. Actually the current is strong around there and he could of been pulled under quickly at night loaded on sedatives.

www.philly.com...

There's a lot more articles about this for those following the case and for those in Phila, the manhunt is on, the cops are totally sullen over this vet's loss and the other two will recover. Like I just posted, Street is a bum, he should have a huge force looking for these killers and attempted cop killers.

Seriously, I'm totally anti-gov't in many ways, but this is too much for gang violence to still be this strong.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
As far as NY, You can walk around the East village or Harlem with no issues, which no one would have thought possible 15 or 20 years ago without seeing junkies in the streets.

I was stating that I hope that Baltimore and Philly have some relief from the drug violence that plauged NY since the 60's. It took over 30 years and cannot happen overnight.

Is cop killing something that is occuring more often in Philly? Retribution?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

I for one will forgo the 500 points that I lost to make sure that the point i was making is taken to heart. I take warnings to heart and I would not put myself out there unless i felt I should. Read my posts. I have been beaten and abused many many times and this put me over. We are supposed to deny ignorance on this site, not promote it through hate of law enforcement.

" You have not learned your lesson obviously as you are still making personal attacks..maybe if you were banned for a while you would take the Mods statements seriously. By the way, there is no rule that we must all agree with you in order to be acceptable. "

Play nice??? You are advocating violence against law enforcement, I mean, under the patriot act I think I could find a DHS worker to arrest you.

"Why don't you make good on that threat and find some pig and come to my house and try to arrest me for expressing my opinion; I guarantee you the same fate that awaits the pig. Fair enough? Oh, I forget, you rely on others to back up your wishes. Is there really a law on the books that says I have no right to an opinion if it offends YOU? What a laugh. "

I do not apologize for the personal attack nor do I feel I was out of line.

" Then the Mods can assume that you have not been sufficiently dealt with, correct? "

I was advocating for the family of the officer that died, not laughing in their face as eyewitness was. Was he warned or slapped for malicious posting??? How were his words any different than ours against him???

" Of course I was not disciplined for making personal observations; you merely are angry that my opinions are different than yours, and that your opinion is not universally shared..get over it. I NEVER mentioned another poster or made personal attacks,YOU DID!! THAT is the difference you asked about and why I never got in trouble. My remarks were generic and not specific to a person. Can you tell the difference? I hope so . "

Bottom line is there are officers who are killed each day with families in traffic stops, domestic disputes and accidents. If we as citizens are not allowed to stand up for those who protect us, what future does this country have? If we all thought as eyewitness, we would be living in a society that none of us would enjoy nor be able to survive from.

" That is your opinion, and one not shared by others, obviously. Who are YOU to take on the ' standing up ' for cops anyway? This nation has NO future if cops are allowed to kill us but we cannot kill them as payback. Your survival has more to do with getting murdering cops in jail than it does making sure I am politically correct according to YOUR beliefs "

There is sarcasm, and there is narcissism. where should we draw the line in this forum????????

PS- I find it strange that one can make fun of death and not be warned. Pretty freaked up........

" Why is it strange? I did not make fun of anything..I merely asserted that cops cannot be dealt with by their own kind as they always cover up the murders they committ, so new and perhaps radical methods are needed to make cops tow the line and obey the law instead of killing
us without repercussions ."

Now, since you insist on addressing ME and my OPINONS rather than the topic, perhaps another Mod will take your comments as an indication that you do NOT respect the ATS Mods and their warnings, and you are actually asking for more sanctions by continuing the personal attacks and references. Are you really saying that you disrespect the rules here? Thats what it seems like!! If you get this emotionally worked up about just another opinion, you are a perfect example of the blind and thoughtless drones that make cops heroes when they should be mere servants.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Eyewitness,

I'd just like to point out that once again, you're employing the "us, them" mentality that should not be employed in this situation. This cop getting killed has absolutely nothing to do with other cops who have killed citizens. That's like saying "The guy at McDonald's in New York insulted me, so I beat up the next McDonald's employee I saw over in Virginia. Someone's got to teach them a lesson!"

Cops are human beings. They are not robots who all share the exact same ideas all the time. They go home, take off their uniforms, and spend time with their family and friends just like everybody else. It's sickening what happened to them, and I think things like this happening say a lot about our society and our respect for those who protect us as a whole.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I live in Philadelphia and have been following this story closely ( even if I didn't want to follow it, I wouldn't have a choice, because it's all the media has talked about.) and some of the information is this post is way off. First off, he wasn't eating a doughnut like the typical sterotype. He was making a security check because that Dunkin Donuts was robbed on September 18th, at gunpoint, almost,for sure, by the same man who was robbing the shop that day. As he entered, the robber swirled around and shot him in the head. He died the next morning. I can tell you that this finally led to the breaking point of us Philadelphians who want an end to the gun violence. There have been over 300, yes 300, cops seaching the neighborhood where the shooting took place. Just an hour ago, the killer has been identified as John Lewis, and an arrest warrant has been issued.

The violence in this city is unbelieveable. Our mayor, John Street, is the most crooked politican you'll ever hear of. He was fined for not paying his bills, ran a no-bid contract scandal, and sat in line for 15 hours to buy an iphone. When asked what he was doing in line when he had work to do, he said " I'm done for the day" Thank god the mayorial elections are on Tuesday, and Michael Nutter will be mayor.

And BTW, shame on the poster who said he felt no sympathy for Officer Cassidy. Don't let some of these theroies, such as the New World Order, provoke blind hate for good men. You're a fool for saying that. If the mods have a problem with that, suspend me.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I am address you eyewitness but it is not a personal attack. A personal attack would br what I previoulsy wrote that I accepted the warn for by wanting physical harm to you or someone else.

Now, it is time to step up and realize that you cannot state something and then attempt to hide behind the mods here when pressed and you have run out of smart remarks. Backpeddling is what I see. I am addressing the audience here and you are the main subject. THere is nothing malicious there. Welcome to this forum.

Everyone is eintitled to an opinion, but promoting that opinion is where the issue arises. I am upset at the fact that you are advocating violence against law enforcement and there are a lot of impressionable people, including children, who could take that message the wrong way.

A police officer was shot in cold blood, leaves behind a family and you feel that berating the entire US police force and stating that they deserve it is something that should be stated and spread to all. I disagree. That is called a discussion forum.

So, the question I pose is ..

Why are you supporting the killing of police, which, is also agaisnt the rules of this forum, oh so I would think? You are stating that it is OK to kill someone with no provocation or reason if they are a LEO.

So answer the question please as to why you feel this cop should have died?

www.cnn.com...

Take a look at his face, and then think about the kids he left behind. Would you say the same thing to them???

Also, where do I state the I support cops killing us, the american citizen???

[edit on 4-11-2007 by esdad71]

[edit on 4-11-2007 by esdad71]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I mourn and honor the fallen officer and he and his family are in my prayers. He seemed to be a good man who was doing his job.

I respect those in law enforcement who willingly and with courage and honor put themselves between us and those that would harm our families and loved ones. I have no patience for those who wish harm or seem to believe that it is somehow okay to bring harm on others simply because of their jobs in law enforcement.

It brings no honor to those who believe like that. The vast majority of law enforcement professionals are men and women who behave with dignity, courage and honor. I respect them and wish them well.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by gallopinghordes]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join