It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water War 2007 - A Man-Made Disaster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
America's next disaster is here. There is a catastrophic drought in the Southeastern United States, covering at least 5 states. Within 2 - 3 months, based on current rainfall estimates, millions of people will not have access to water in their own homes. By many estimates, there is only an 80 to 90 day supply of water left for the greater Atlanta metro area (some 4 - 5 million people) and the quality of that water will be severely diminished.

Background:

www.cnn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Here is the catch - This disaster is man-made.

Lake Lanier, Atlanta's primary water reservoir, is at least 14 feet below full pool capacity and the Army Corps of Engineers is letting 33,000 gallons of water out of the dam per minute. The lake will soon be dry.

The Corps will give several different justifications for the continued release of the water: protected species and environmental concerns, drinking supplies downstream, industrial usage downstream, etc.

Here is what they can't justify or explain:

This past summer the Corps of Engineers had an "accidental" release of billions of gallons of water, resulting in a 3 ft. drop in lake level. They did not own up to this action until pressed by local municipalities and residents.

Details:

wizbangblog.com...

The Corps acknowledged over the weekend that a faulty gauge at Lake Lanier had allowed 22 billion gallons of water to be released by mistake. Carol Couch, director of Georgia's Environmental Protection Division, said the amount of water mistakenly drained would have been enough to support the city of Atlanta for 118 days.

They at least owe us that water back by limiting further releases. The 22 billion gallons would mean just shy of an additional four months worth of water.

Additionally, this past week, the Florida panhandle and south Alabama received record rainfall due to a subtropical system. Some areas received as much as 7 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. Why, then, did the Corps of Engineers continue to release water at the same rate? I can attest to this fact, as I live less than a 1/2 mile from the dam and everyday I can hear the sirens that sound prior to a release. They never altered the release schedule, despite the overwhelming amount of rainfall downstream.

Furthermore, Georgia Power, which operates a dam on Lake Burton in North Georgia, issued a statement this week that the scheduled yearly release from that dam would be cancelled this year due to the drought. Why would the Corps not follow similar protocols?

So what if they need the water down stream!? At this rate, there will be no water -upstream or downstream - sooner rather than later. No one will have access to water. The current rate of water release from Lanier Dam is three times the rate of water entry from the Chattahoochee River into the lake. If the rate of release is slowed or stopped, even temporarily, the water supply will last longer for everyone.

We should question what (or who) does it serve to continue to let water out of Lake Lanier? What will be the economic impact of NO WATER!? Talk about Disaster Capitalism, someone is going to make a lot of money on bottled water but local agriculture, businesses and families will be hit hard. What about the social impact? Will it cause civic unrest? You bet! Neighbors are already policing each other and it's getting nasty. Will Martial Law be far behind when neighbors turn against neighbors or when Georgia has had enough and considers seizing that dam?

What about the Federal Government's unwillingness to get involved in the crisis? This certainly has echoes of Katrina, only without the water.

And finally, in case you think this doesn't really affect you:

www.independencejournal.com...

When the Fed and corpgov finally run out of serial bubbles to bail out the rich folks at the top, what will be the control mechanism to keep folks sending money to Washington? And email from a reader yesterday falls neatly into line with one major bank study which said a long time back that in order to have a major economic crash, you need a currency crisis as well as an agriculture crisis.

Ask yourself: How much more can our people and our economy withstand - $90 oil, de-valued dollar, housing crisis, credit crunch, War on Terror, War in Iraq, possible War with Iran, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. When is enough, enough?

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
ATS needs to read this thread. This story is only going to get bigger and it will definitely have a nation-wide impact.

I thought for sure I would get some takers wanting to discuss how over-developed the Atlanta metro area is and how this could be construed to play a part in the current crisis. NOT!

Aren't there any Georgia, Florida or Alabama residents on ATS? Surely, you must have an opinion?

Ultimately, given the right scenarios, we are all at the mercy of the Federal Government. It may be your region next.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The crisis is a worldwide one. Humans are 6.4 billion people beyond their carrying capacity. Those who would believe there is not a resource war going on are truly mistaken. The power faction within the U.S. government known as the Illuminati are devout environmentalists. They realized there was a problem some time ago. However, rather than put an end to it immediately, they decided to allow the sprawling Earth to develop itself. This ensures that infrastructure needed to sustain society will be here after a depopulating event.
Ultimately, the goal is to concentrate a fraction of the world's survivors into a few concentrated areas with microchips, while allowing Earth to recover from human history.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Ultimately that plan is doomed to failure, though - people aren't going to sit back and allow some sort of A.I branch-race of humans to lord it over in giant crystalline towers made up of giant solar panels and technological heaven while the rest of us slum it out in an industrial wasteland, there will always be people willing to make life hard for the idealists, whoever the idealists are.

Unless, that is - they have some sort of anti-nuke counter-measures or intend to allow humanity to nuke each other in order to secure resources (important point coming up).

A nuclear war is a sheer folly when it comes to securing resources - you end up destroying most of the resources you need when you use nuclear weapons - it's why they haven't been used so far (apart from various ethical reasons of course).

Nuclear weapons are weapons of terror - it's the biological ones we need to look out for.

It's possible that the illuminati are manufacturing some sort of biological weapon with the cure already in place (possibly an innoculation...), thereby allowing members of the illuminati (if it is indeed the illumins, not some splinter-faction therein) to survive where most other humans will not.

I can survive without the majority of resources available to me anyway - i live near the sea and have the equipment to seperate the salt and various other contagions, food is somewhat troubling but can be dealt with through the same reason as my living near the sea - what with the various wildlife that breeds and grows on the beaches nearby i should be okay.

There is also plenty of land for vegetable farming.

Tis' part of the reason why i'm against over-industrialisation - it'll make me dependant on civilisation for food and water, otherwise i'll end up drinking pollutants and eating mutants.

[edit on 21-10-2007 by Throbber]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
UUHHH...This is a thread about water resources, the over-bearing, arbitrary and irresponsible methods of the Federal Government and the coming crisis in the Southeast.

Maybe we can talk about the possible ramifications and long term implications. Maybe we can talk about what the Government gains through its ridiculous lack of intervention. Maybe we can talk about the Corps and its ineptitude in both this incident and Katrina. Maybe we could talk about capitalistic exploitation of our natural resources. Maybe we can talk about over-development.

But, PLEASE, let's don't talk about the Illuminati. There is plenty of blame to go around without dragging that theory into the mix and derailing this very important topic.

[edit on 21/10/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Well then, what can i say other than that it's but one more step in a game that everyone knows about?

The fact that you've brought it before our attention is noteworthy - Because of you i am now aware of where we currently stand.

2-3 months from now, will be the beginning of an end, i think, and the beginning will take place in atlanta.

provided no one does anything about it, of course.

P.S: It's possible that this is politically motivated - if someone manages to take care of this in a prim and proper fashion, then that person will stand quite a lot taller than his or her rivals.

[edit on 21-10-2007 by Throbber]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

do yourself a favor and move to Wisconisn... Plenty of water here..lol... seems no matter what road you turn onto... or what highway you travel on (in northern wisconsin) you wil pass multiple lakes...

but seriously... THAT IS BS!!!! BILLIONS of gallons of water? WHAT THE @$#% .. Honestly... Stop reeasing water... forget the people downstream let the resevior fill back up for a bit so that they can do something about it!!!! lol

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sad Lil Alex

It seems like a no-brainer doesn't it!? Why is this so complicated? What is the goal? It sure isn't water management if we are going to run out of water sooner rather than later.

First the problem is water, which then transfers to agriculture. Prices skyrocket in conjuction with a de-valued dollar, a credit crunch, and mortgage woes. Sound fun yet, ATS?

We haven't even discussed cold and flu season or the lack of hygiene and sanitation. Land fills will start over-flowing with disposable everything since showers will be in short supply and there won't be enough water to wash the dishes.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Three months ago I was boating in West Point Lake in North West Ga.. There was plenty of water. I left to go back to my home in South Ga. and came back to an area just a few miles below Atlanta today.

How horrible it was to see the dry lake bed. Residents here are in an uproar and seem ready to fight for their water.

The story is that areas in Florida need the water for stergon and mollusk.

It's too dark to take good pictures now but will take some tomorrow and post them. My heart sank to my toes when I saw the lakes.

For once I agree with the Ga. governor.
IMHO this is a man made disaster. The problem is very real.

Our Gov. asked Pres. Bush to declare this a distaster area and it truely is. I'm here at ground zero....I see it as it is happening.

Dizzie

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Unbelievably the Corps says "It's out of their hands"
and the President has failed to respond to the Governor's request to intervene.
In the meantime - 33.000 gallons a minute! (actually it might be more and I am trying to verify this)

Yesterday it was verified by the Dept. of Enviromental Quality that the Corps releases twice as much water downstream than is actually required. In fact, the only dam managed lakes in Georgia that are dangerously low are those managed by the Corps. Evidently the power companies have been much more efficient and responsible in their water management.

When we go to the beach, by way of South Georgia, we pass a series of dams along the Chattahoochee. The last I saw the lakes associated with these dams, they were each at full pool. Does any one know their status now? I would be willing to bet they are not more than 14 feet down or anywhere close.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Since it's Monday morning, I am kicking this back up to the main page for all of you work-day-web-surfers.

This is a slow motion train wreck and the FED has the power to stop it. The question is will they?

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I just saw on Fox that the Governor has filed a suit to stop the water being allowed out. If the Gov had a clue he would send the national guard to force them to stop. The army corps has screwed up every major water way and hurt the natural ecosystem and to fix it they will need to do the same. The problem is that the lake is feeding the Okefenokee swap in Georgia and parts of Florida and in turn the Swanee river. The impact of no water going to them could be very bad as well to wildlife.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Actually it feeds into Apalachicola and the Apalachicola Bay. But yes, there is an ecological impact.

The wildlife of primary concern is certain freshwater mollusks and spawning fish. However, there is more than enough water, currently, to sustain these ecosystems and the Corps continues to let out water.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I read water was draining out of Atlanta's drinking water lake to protect an endangered species, some mollusk or something. I'm left thinking, what about the endangered lives of the people and their jobs? Sounds like the corps are doing as fine a job as the federal government did after Katrina.

I live in South Carolina and I wouldn't be surprised if plans to do a massive piping of water from surrounding areas won't go over too well since we're in a big drought as well. I'm lucky that our local officials control our lake water and I read our lake was only 1 foot below full a couple of weeks ago. The corps is not in control here at my local lake. I don't even have any water restrictions but the state governor has asked everyone to conserve. I can just imagine greedy eyes looking at our water from all over the place.

You would think that FEMA or the Dept of Homeland Security would recognize this crisis and take immediate action to protect the people and our jobs and our economy rather than doing nothing. I guess this might be called Katrina II in a few months.

The severe water problems apparently exist in both Atlanta and Raleigh with limited supplies running out. I don't know how much longer the supply would last if pipes were extended farther into the lakes or reservoirs.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by orionthehunter]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I can easily imagine that businesses will be forced to close down all around Atlanta if the water becomes severely restricted. People will be out of work. Bottled water price gouging may occur. Maybe there's a lot more water in the lakes and the pipes just need to be extended. Only 80 days of water left sounds like the crisis is already here unless you believe miracles will save the day. Perhaps Atlanta will create a new reservoir under their control as a longer term solution to the problem. I don't know where that would be at though.

This may sound like a local problem but I see a big national impact if cities like Atlanta, Raleigh, and others are effectively shut down due to severe water restrictions.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Economically, it has been having an impact for several months. There is a huge fishing industry around Lake Lanier. One Marina has lost $50,000 so far this month. Then there are the support businesses like restaurants and gas stations, etc.

So...on Saturday the Governor asked the President to declare North Georgia a disaster area and order the Corps to reduce the amount of water released from the dam. As of yet, there has been no response from the President. However, the Corps says they will absolutely not limit the water flow out of the dam. In response, Alabama's Governor formally asked the President to deny Georgia's request. And you all thought "war" was too harsh of a term, just wait until we actually run out of water in 80 to 90 days.

Additionally, it was revealed that residents further down stream (in FL and AL) on the Chattahoochee and Apalachicola Rivers are not subjected to water restrictions, unlike the Atlanta metro area. Just more outrage.

Yesterday, the Governor ordered local water companies to restrict usage by 10% starting November 1st. It's only going to go down hill from there.

Well, at least the place isn't on fire like California. At least not yet anyway.

[edit on 24/10/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yes I see what you are talking about however they were talking about the Suawnnee and the Okefenokee swamp on the news so who knows if it branches off and goes there too.

[edit on 24-10-2007 by Sky watcher]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Did you not read my post? I saw the dry lake beds.

I am from southeast Ga. Water , water everywhere there. But it sure isn't here in Lagrange, Ga.

The gov. asked us Georgians to shorten our showers. Today he has put restrictions of 10 per cent less usage by utilities and businesses.

If anyone has any doubt of the water shortage here just take a ride and see for yourself. I am camping 45 miles from the heart of Atlanta. I will gladly give you a tour of the lakes in question.

Dizzie

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I'm very near Lake Oconee here in Georgia. It is down about 14 feet or more from what I've heard.

My sister lives on the lake itself. Her boat is sitting on mud at her dock. And grass is already starting to sprout from what used to be a lake bottom.

I've also heard that there will be no water in Athens, Ga where my daughter lives if something is not done about this soon.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
So the Governor of Georgia had another press conference today. As Dizzie Dame indicated, the Governor has asked all water management institutions to cut their output by 10%. Furthermore, he has asked all local and state agencies to cut their usage by 15% or more, with the exception of the Department of Corrections which will cut their usage by 25% or more. Thats okay though right? Prisoners aren't too fond of showers...As predicted, he is asking citizens to use paper plates and cups at least one day a week.

One statistic released today was that, on a daily basis, the Corps of Engineers releases enough water from Lake Lanier to accomodate the daily water usage of 10,000,000 four-person households. Or to put it another way, 100's of millions of toilet flushes or five minute showers.

I have to give it to Georgia Governor Purdue, he is not taking any crap from reporters or the Governor of Alabama, Bob Riley. Georgia doesn't take too kindly to those 'bama boys. Besides, we know they don't take regular baths over there, except with their sisters.
Oh lighten up...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join