It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Aspertame Lawsuit (Equal Sugar Sweetener Is Toxic!)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

Oh oh oh!! Check it out, you don't even have to google, just type it in the addy bar...

www.caffeinekills.com...

Getting the picture yet???

[edit on 5-11-2007 by 27jd]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Wait, there's even MORE about your "healthy" drink....

Long term consumption of yerba mate increases the risk of developing certain cancers, most notably mouth, laryngeal, liver, kidney and bladder. This risk seems to be greatest when the supplement is consumed as a warm beverage, and also when it is drunk by persons who smoke and consume alcohol.

www.youronlinenutritionist.com...

YIKES!

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is getting ridiculous, the argument is that aspartame is harmful. It's not how much toxins we digest. If we are going to stop consuming dangerous stuff, we can't argue about everything at once.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Luther777

Sorry if I've strayed from topic, just making the point that there is ALWAYS somebody waiting to tell you that whatever you're eating, drinking, breathing, absorbing, etc. is a deadly killer. There are studies that both prove and disprove that aspartame is harmful. It all comes down to your own personal chemistry, and choices. But being alarmist about it is not allowing people to do HONEST research, and decide for themselves what they want to ingest. It gives a preconceived fear that some folks are too paranoid to see through and make informed decisions, that's just wrong.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Your love for aspartame is kind of odd, are you seriously addicted to Diet Coke or Pepsi?.... let alone, lately trying to change the subject..... and really, thank you so much for your concern on what I drink, this morning, water and green tea. And please, remember the name of the thread here Ms or Mr Skull.... and spare me your absolute statements that can't be proven, they're your opinion, like most of your responses -- "always" -- doesn't make any sense.

[] [] []

Why don't people take a stroll through Google Scholar w/ the word 'aspartame' -- I found quite a few articles, peer-reviewed papers. First let's start w/ this link, the cached works, yet the original link doesn't -- hmm, that's odd.

Methanol has no therapeutic properties and is considered only as a toxicant (20). The ingestion of two teaspoons is considered lethal in humans (19).
Methyl alcohol produces the Methyl alcohol syndrome, consistently, only in humans and no other test animal, including monkeys.

Also, here's a couple of /articles/PDFs I found on the aforementioned site:

www.thelastoutpost.com...
www.geocities.com...

Lastly, here's an interesting clip:

Jennifer Cohen is an eleven-year old student in Mrs. Simmons' sixth grade Oradell, New Jersey class....Jennifer conducted an experiment proving aspartame, the artificial sweetener in diet soda, breaks down into two deadly neurotoxins when stored at room temperature and under refrigeration.

Her paper is here, from 1997, some interesting 'parts per billion' results for her study w/ FORMALDEHYDE/Diet Coke: www.dorway.com...

[edit on 6-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by anhinga
Your love for aspartame is kind of odd, are you seriously addicted to Diet Coke or Pepsi?....

Yes, I'm seriously addicted to them, any and all of them. I need aspartame, I've been trying to figure out ways to extract it from beverages and or food products, and find new, more effective means of getting it into my body. As soon as I can shoot it up, I will. Help me, I have blood in my aspartame stream.

let alone, lately trying to change the subject.....

No, just making a point that you can't refute, and it seems to upset you.

and really, thank you so much for your concern on what I drink

Hey, just returning the favor.

this morning, water and green tea

Surely, you knew this was coming....

The use of green tea as an aid to health may prove to be a disaster. The problem is that today’s green tea is not the same as it was hundreds of years ago. The plant is the same. The antioxidants are there. But there is also something else in today’s green tea in quantities which are unprecedented and quite troublesome: fluoride.

Despite what many of the nutrition texts tell us, fluoride has no recognized, essential use in the human body. It is simply a poisonous substance--one of the most toxic known to man. What’s more, green tea is becoming increasingly more contaminated with fluoride than ever before. But how much fluoride could there possibly be in a cup of green tea?

What has been found is that most teas evaluated exceed the maximum fluoride contaminant level of 4 parts per million set by the EPA for drinking water. Any person with a lifetime of consuming more than the established contaminant level is expected to develop crippling skeletal fluorosis (denser, but more brittle bones). The first stage of this disease--vague muscular pains, as well sporadic pain and stiffness in the joints and spine--is estimated to develop in as little as five years based on the daily consumption of the amount of fluoride found in three or four average cups of green tea.

*snip*

To make matters worse, some samples of green tea recently analyzed have proven to be contaminated with DDT and the DDT-like pesticide Dursban--raising concerns about tea’s possible role in the development of breast cancer.

*snip*

In a large 2001 study involving 26,000 people, no association was found between green tea consumption and the risk of gastric cancer. In 2002 an even larger study of 73,000 individuals found the same thing. An earlier study, however, found green tea consumption was linked to higher rates of stomach cancer.
www.worldwidehealth.com...

(emphasis mine)

The famous rhyme about the sailor on the ocean drifting in a lifeboat - "water, water everywhere - but not a drop to drink", and getting thirstier by the minute - may be repeated throughout the world sooner than we think, and not only on the ocean but in our own homes!

Water, the life-giving form of oxygen and hydrogen that makes up about 80% of our bodies and about the same percentage for our world and which we cannot be without else we perish, today contains many elements that are not good for our systems. Studies have shown that most of the water we drink from local sources, supposedly controlled and filtered to the last drop, may not be what we think it is!

While those states and local municipal water utilities use the standards established by our own government EPA, these do not cover what is needed. There are over 35,000 registered pesticides alone containing 600 chemical compounds, yet water systems are only required to test for six. Many of these chemicals are know to cause birth defects, nerve damage, sterility and cancer. In addition, contaminants such as lead, Trihalomethanes and Asbestos can occur in drinking water after the water leaves the municipal treatment plant. Lead is known to leach into water from plumbing in our homes as well as from the municipal distribution systems, causing problems for many water users. Of equal concern are Trihalomethanes, an undesirable byproduct produced by chlorine treatment which is known to be a carcinogen.
www.karinya.com...

And please, remember the name of the thread here Ms or Mr Skull....

It's Mr. Skull. And yeah, Ms or Mr Taking Pictures of Dirt, you're right. Nobody on ATS ever invokes examples not directly related to a thread topic, in order to make their point. Nope. You never see references to Vietnam in an Iraq discussion, or the U.S.'s previous use of atomic weapons on an Iran nuclear thread. I'm sure you've never strayed a little from topic in order to make a point about the topic. We must be rigid, and adhere strictly to topic. I'd make a Hitler reference, but that would really get your undies in a bunch, huh?

and spare me your absolute statements that can't be proven, they're your opinion, like most of your responses -- "always" -- doesn't make any sense

I'll stop making absolute statements, when they're not true. You haven't named ONE healthy thing you drink that a quick google search won't bring up at least a few sites that say they are DEADLY KILLERS...

Why don't people take a stroll through Google Scholar w/ the word 'aspartame' -- I found quite a few articles, peer-reviewed papers.

Why don't they also take a stroll through the National Library of Medicine, so they can find even more peer-reviewed papers, both pro and con...

You can access the summaries of all published medical research by searching for "aspartame", "aspartame symptoms" or "aspartame experiment" (for example) at National Library of Medicine This site contains over 9 million citations from medical journals. It (of course) includes experiments and commentary both critical and supportive of the safety of aspartame. It is ALL published research. Judge for yourself. And ask yourself, Why don't the anti-aspartame sites mention where I can get the real research?. Look at the variety of Universities and Medical Centers involved in this research. No, this isn't research done by Monsanto--it's real research submitted and reviewed by the editorial boards of real medical journals. These are doctors, universities and journals that are putting their reputation on the line.
aspartametruth.org...

Lastly, here's an interesting clip:

Jennifer Cohen is an eleven-year old student in Mrs. Simmons' sixth grade Oradell, New Jersey class....Jennifer conducted an experiment proving aspartame, the artificial sweetener in diet soda, breaks down into two deadly neurotoxins when stored at room temperature and under refrigeration.

Yes, we should replace medical professionals with sixth graders.

Also, one must ask...why the HELL are sixth graders doing experiments with deadly neurotoxins??? What happened to macaroni pictures? Mrs. Simmons needs her arse handed to her. Quite the liability issue if you ask me.

[edit on 6-11-2007 by 27jd]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Anything can be dangerous, but some things more than others. This thread is about aspartame being dangerous. It's about proving whether aspartame is harmful; not water, not caffeine, and not green tea. The main discussion here is aspartame. Aspartame may be more harmful than most other substances we find in food, and that is what this is all about.

We don't need aspartame, especially if it is going to cause damage.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Luther777
It's about proving whether aspartame is harmful; not water, not caffeine, and not green tea. The main discussion here is aspartame.

Right, the main discussion is about aspartame. But, once again, sometimes topics stray a little one way or the other, and I feel those points are relevant to the topic because I was making a point related to the topic. The point being, you can find scary articles and studies on just about anything we ingest. People on this thread have called it poison, toxic, etc. Caffeine is a pesticide, plants produce it to kill bugs that eat them, but most of us love some caffeine. Either way, you are not a moderator that I can tell, so unless you are, leave the moderating to them, please.

Aspartame may be more harmful than most other substances we find in food, and that is what this is all about.

More harmful? Based on what? You think aspartame may be more harmful than flouride, or DDT? Interesting.

We don't need alot of things, but we ingest them anyway. Alcohol is HORRIBLE for our bodies, both in the short and long term, but I don't see whole threads devoted to the toxic dangers of alcohol. I'm sure you enjoy a beer now and again, you're Canadian, of course you do.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Aspartame may be more harmful than most other substances we find in food, and that is what this is all about.

More harmful? Based on what? You think aspartame may be more harmful than flouride, or DDT? Interesting.

I mentioned aspartame may be more harmful. That is what is what this thread is about, isn't it? I also didn't say anything about aspartame being more dangerous than flouride or DDT.

We don't need alot of things, but we ingest them anyway. Alcohol is HORRIBLE for our bodies, both in the short and long term, but I don't see whole threads devoted to the toxic dangers of alcohol. I'm sure you enjoy a beer now and again, you're Canadian, of course you do.

There are other natural sweeteners that we could be using instead of aspartame. Why should we consume something that could pose major damage when we don't have to?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Luther777
I mentioned aspartame may be more harmful. That is what is what this thread is about, isn't it? I also didn't say anything about aspartame being more dangerous than flouride or DDT.

Well, sorry if I misunderstood the intent of your statement. It seemed to be in response to my posting about other potentially harmful things in drinks everybody assumes are healthy.

There are other natural sweeteners that we could be using instead of aspartame. Why should we consume something that could pose major damage when we don't have to?

I understand what you mean, like I said, I prefer Splenda over Nutrasweet as far as low calorie sweeteners go. However, of course it's already deadly too...

The inventors of Splenda admit around fifteen percent (15%) of sucralose is absorbed by the body, but they cannot guarantee us (out of this fifteen percent) what amount of chlorine stays in the body and what percent flushes out.

So, do you feel lucky today as you sprinkle that yellow packet of powder in your tea? You will be alarmed once you realize how chlorine, this common chemical we’ve trusted as a “purifier”, is actually affecting our health in more ways than you know. Hopefully, this chapter will make you hesitate before you let your toddler take another sip of your diet cola.

www.splendaexposed.com...

I bolded alarmed, because that's the goal of many of these people. They are alarmist Chicken Little's who seem to find pleasure in scaring the bejeezus out of people who believe everybody is out to kill them.

Big surprise though, the site is also selling a book.

Like I've said before, your body will let you know if it doesn't like what you're putting in it. Use YOUR judgement, if you don't feel comfortable drinking diet soda, don't.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Diet soda is one product w/ this synthetic poison in it, there's plenty more. But Diet soda itself is nothing more then poisoned sugar water w/ a hint of caffeine.

Should you need the energy, there's plenty of natural products available from (poisonless) coffees to teas and juices for energy.

Mr or Ms skull, I don't see your points, at all, the proof of what the ingredients are and how they're broken down in the body is all one needs to know the truth... back to being informative in this thread, I posted this in the "Red Bull" one recently, there's a "ban" on soft drinks in high schools, but NOT including diet drinks, so the poison remains.

Here's a clip of the cutoff date and some outstanding issues:

www.washingtonpost.com...

In Racine, Wis., officials decided not to remove high-calorie drinks from high schools earlier this year after they learned they would have to pay the local Pepsi bottler $200,000.

The Alliance for a Healthier Generation estimates high-calorie sodas and drinks would be removed from 75 percent of school vending machines and cafeterias by the start of the 2008 school year and from every school by 2009.

In the meantime, families and individuals should find out alternatives to 'liquid coc aine' easily. Remember, every body needs 8 glasses of water a day! That's about a gallon! And smokers, you need even more.

[edit on 11-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Should you need the energy, there's plenty of natural products available from (poisonless) coffees to teas and juices for energy.

Poisonless coffees and teas? You must mean decaf then, I don't know how they would provide energy without caffeine. A natural poison used by plants to kill bugs, yes, caffeine is one of nature's pesticides. That is it's intended purpose.

Mr or Ms skull, I don't see your points, at all

I know, but only because you don't want to. And that's fine, keep your blinders on Mr or Ms taking pictures of dirt, I really don't care one way or the other.

the proof of what the ingredients are and how they're broken down in the body is all one needs to know the truth...

No, it's not that simple by far. There are studies that prove, and studies that disprove what you are asserting. It's very ignorant to willingly blow off evidence just because it doesn't agree with you. I've have taken in both arguments, and concluded for myself that reactions vary individually and it, like everything else isn't good for some people. So again I say, use your own judgement.

back to being informative in this thread

Yeah, imforming us of your unwavering (regardless of anything) opinion.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Sand a little different then dirt Mr or Ms skull.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

Gravel, sand, dust, etc. is all just dirt. Just like bacteria, viruses, etc. are all just germs. Pictures of dirt were being taken....

Just kidding. We can argue about anything, huh?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I have a question. If someone's immune system is strong, and they are not under stress, shouldn't the body be able to deal with these extra chemicals in our water? I mean, can't we somehow adapt to live on this toxic stew?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by quintar

Yes. We expel toxins from our body in many different ways...#'s 1 and 2, when we breath out, when we sweat, the liver strains toxins from the blood, etc.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by quintar

Absolutely, but this thread isn't about water. It's about aspartame and should you of been using it, you should detox.

As per water, sure, some have additives within, but there still are pure sources available...

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The point people have been trying to make by bringing other substances into this debate, for those of you too dense, irrational, or hot-tempered to see for yourselves, is that a google search can turn up internet sites claiming how bad ANYTHING is for you.

If you believe aspartame is bad for you, because a *minority* of information from mostly biased and unreliable websites, says it is, then you should also believe that green tea, and even regular old water is bad for you as well. As people pointed out, there's a website stating that just about anything you could possible want to eat or drink is bad for you.

One of the claims made on aspartamekills.com is "In the case of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, (when in reality, the disease is methanol toxicity), most of the symptoms disappear. We've seen many cases where vision returned and hearing improved markedly."

This is BS! I mean COME ON!

Even if we accept the premise that methanol poisoning could be misdiagnosed as multiple sclerosis, the effects of methanol poisoning are almost always permanent. In patients suffering from neurological damage, vision loss and movement disorders from methanol poisoning, little long-term improvement can be expected.

Methanol poisoning occurs around when consuming about 1 gram of methanol per kilogram of body weight. For the 75 kilogram [165 lbs] male, a dose of 75 grams of methanol would be required. About 10% of aspartame is broken down into methanol, so to get 75 grams of methanol, you'd have to ingest 750 grams of aspartame. To get 750 grams of aspartame, you'd have to drink about 375 cans of diet cola (remember, a can of diet cola contains about 200 milligrams of aspartame). But you'd have to drink those 375 cans within a few hours since methanol has a half life in the body between one and two hours. Bottoms up!

Another claim "If you are using ASPARTAME (NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc.) and you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss-you probably have ASPARTAME DISEASE!"

Could the list of ailments be any more generic? Throw in bad breath! How about baldness?

How about this one "Systemic lupus has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis,especially with Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. The victim usually does not know that the aspartame is the culprit."

The FAQ of the Lupus Foundation of America states: We are aware there is an email message circulating on the Internet warning individuals with lupus about dangers associated with using the artificial sweetener aspartame. The Lupus Foundation of America consulted with the chair of the LFA Medical Council, Evelyn Hess, MD, MACP, MACR. Dr. Hess is one of the nation's leading researchers in the field of lupus specializing in environmental influences. According to Dr. Hess, there is, as of now, no specific proof of an association with aspartame as a cause or worsening of SLE.

Jeez, this site's motto is "Deny Ignorance" not propagate it. The majority of information out there states that aspartame is SAFE. But who cares what the majority says, because the majority is controlled and bought out right? I mean, everyone knows that it's easier to control a multi-national, multi-interest, often objective, group of people, than it is to spread your own agenda amongst a minority, right? There is an agenda at work behind the anti-aspartame crowd, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out it's someone with a FINANCIAL interest.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Going through the list of controversial sugars, let's see what we got: Cyclamate (banned by the FDA in 1970), then Saccharin (banned in some countries, but not the FDA), then Aspartame and Sucralose (which, the latter, Mr/Ms skull already pointed out is another toxic -- chlorine, ya'll like drinking pool water?!) And the bottom line w/ Aspartame is that it breaks down to a known carcinogen in the way it's processed and let's hope it goes by the way some of these others have -- banned.

Aspartame has been banned in other countries and in Europe, a recent ban of it in children's products is in effect.... the Wiki page has a list of natural sweeteners and lastly, to the last poster, who mentioned money or special-interest -- you got it backwards -- these products are best-sellers! They're the ones w/ the special-interest over human concern.

www.healingdaily.com...
www.redicecreations.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
aspartame.worldwarning.net

Formaldehyde is classified as a human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and a probable human carcinogen by the US Environmental Protection Agency.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Mr/Ms skull already pointed out is another toxic -- chlorine, ya'll like drinking pool water?!)

There ya go again, sound the ALARM, ding ding ding ding! We're all gonna die of chlorine now!! We're drinking pool water, even though we've ALL drank gallons and gallons of it swimming as children.

K, that was fun. Back to reality...

But what about the chlorine? That sounds like the real problem. It can’t be good to consume chlorine.

First of all, every time you eat salt, half of what you are eating is chlorine. Common table salt is sodium chloride, half sodium and half chlorine (since the chlorine is in its ionic form it’s called chloride). Chloride is a natural substance. In fact chlorine is one of the elements in the periodic table. No one would consider salt artificial, so how can chloride - a natural element - be artificial?

So, Splenda isn’t really an artificial sweetener. If anything it would be more accurately called a chemically altered sweetener.

Splenda is made by replacing three hydroxyl groups (and oxygen-hydrogen combination) on a sucrose (common table sugar) molecule with three chloride ions. By doing so, the sweetening power of the sugar is increased by a factor of about 600. So, in actuality, when you consume Splenda, you consume real sugar, but because of the huge increase in sweetening power only about 1/600th of what you normally would . Instead of a teaspoon it would be a tiny grain.

But what about the extra chlorine? Doesn’t that cause any kind of problem.

Well, you do eat salt don’t you. A teaspoon of salt contains many thousands of times more chlorine than you would get from the teaspoon of sugar equivalent of Splenda.

If you want even more evidence that the tiny amount of chloride in the Splenda is harmless consider that like with blood sugar you have about a teaspoon of chloride circulating in your blood at any given time, which is more than 20,000 times the amount you would get from a dose of Splenda. How do we figure this?

A normal value for chloride as a component of an electrolyte panel (common lab measurement of blood that doctors often look at) is about 100 mEq/L. One mEq of chloride equals about 35 mg. 35 mg times 100 equals 3500 mg. One teaspoon is about 4000 mg, so 100 mEq of chloride is a little less than one teaspoon.

So, knowing what we now know, it’s easy to see who is telling the truth about Splenda.

www.proteinpower.com...

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join