It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confessions of an ex-conspiracy-theorist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Allow me to weigh in on the whole degree subject.

When a Mason says there's only three degrees, he's both right and wrong, depending on interpretation. There are only three degrees that are *universally recognized* by all Masons in the world, and that's the degrees of Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and Master Mason. When one becomes a Master Mason, he is a full member of the fraternity.

Now some folks on ATS and elsewhere have a fascination (for whatever reason) with "33rd degree Masons", and erroneously believe that 33rd degree Masons somehow control Masonry. In reality though, the 33rd degree simply means that one has received the highest degree in the Scottish Rite of Masonry. It has absolutely nothing to do with other Rites of Masonry. In the Scottish Rite, the 33rd degree means that a brother has been made an honorary member of the Supreme Council, which is the Scottish Rite's administrative board.

Any Mason who wants the Scottish Rite's degrees all the way up to the 32nd just has to ask for them. The 33rd is reserved to bestow upon 32nd degrees in recognition of outstanding service. Same thing in the York Rite: whoever wants those degrees just has to ask. None of those degrees confer any special rank or leadership privilege on the Masons who receive them. Masonic rank and leadership positions come from being elected to hold the various Masonic offices, *not from degrees*!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I most certainly did misunderstand your post. I mean, the topic says "Confessions of an ex-conspiracy-theorist," not "Confessions of an ex-masonry-conspiracy-theorist" so it's not so hard to see where I got the misconception

Originally posted by Skyfloating
one of the premises that runs through conspiracy literature is the concept that elitists or those with power and money tend to be more evil than the common man. After getting to know some people with power and money I find this to be false.

I pick up on that too.. but I would suggest that you are perhaps drawing these links yourself. I haven't come across any theories that mention Money and Power automatically meaning "evil." The simple fact is that people with lots of power and money - have the resources to pull a conspiracy off, moreso than a homeless person without any social pull whatsoever. Neither has anything to do with evil, but potential. Potentially, anyone could be the next antichrist given the proper resources.

dont be surprised if one day you find out that what you thought is a conspiracy is not.

heh, it's more likely my definition of "conspiracy" will change first.

Look at how some people tense up and get wide eyes when I say "I am a freemason". From the expression on their face I know they have some ideas that are, at least partially, inaccurate.

heh... come on... admit it... you kinda like that

and just for the record, I find lodge to be incredibly boring at times too... but that is mainly because it's treated like a social club. I prefer burying my nose into books and etc. as opposed to eating dinner and talking about medical problems with some of my older bros

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

"Confessions of an ex-conspiracy-theorist"

Dam we lost another good Man....maybe this mind control stuff is working

i have some fuel ,to maybe reignite and enlightened you

"The Belmont Brotherhood,The John Birch Society,Cecil John Rhodes, are they conceted and if not does anyone have the Name of Cecil John Rhodes secret society?

en.wikipedia.org...

While attending Oxford, Rhodes became a Freemason. Although his initial view of it was not approving, he continued to be a Freemason until his death in 1902. He was appalled by the fact that the Masons had so much influence and yet chose not to use this to make changes in society. Another factor in Rhodes's dislike of Masonry was that the group was apolitical. The failures of the Freemasons, in his mind, later caused him to found his own secret society with the goal of bringing the entire world under British rule. He said that the Jesuits inspired it

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
I believe freemasonry is a scapegoat for the groups that are actually bad.

maybe. interesting thought.

I don't think freemasonry is bad. It has some bad people, though.

true.

There are various world leaders, dictators, etc who were/are masons, but that shouldn't reflect on the society as a whole.

true.

Simply because there may be no grand freemasonry conspiracy does not mean there is no grand conspiracy with another group or society, though.

true. but in my time I must have seen dozens of conspiracy books who portray the "illuminati pyramid" (as posted on ATS again and again and again) that feature freemasonry as a major part of "the world conspiracy".

9/11 and freemasonry really have nothing to do with each other either.

true

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

and just for the record, I find lodge to be incredibly boring at times too... but that is mainly because it's treated like a social club. I prefer burying my nose into books and etc. as opposed to eating dinner and talking about medical problems with some of my older bros

One thing is for sure: I always look forward to masonic education and lectures. I guess Id be the first one to vote for a reform of masonry toward more education if that ever came up.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Okay, so it's a fun, nice group...and why don't you allow women in it?

Isn't it about time? Would it be that upsetting?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

I dont know too much about those societies, lets have someone else answer that.

What I find interesting is that the same people who critisize freemasons polticial influence also critisize that they are apolitical. I recall this website I was reading where a researcher was saying that freemasons talk serious politics at their meetings. Then, on the next page he was saying that freemasons dont talk politics at their meetings.

The truth is that religion and politics are not discussed in the lodge.

As for the influence...I suspect it was higher 100 years ago, but I am not 100% sure about this.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
for the sake of tradition, mostly (from what I can tell). there may be a more nefarious reason, but I am unaware of it. Why don't women tag along to bachelor parties? perhaps that's a bad example. actually, im pretty sure it is, but take it for what it's worth

Besides, there's always co-masonry and Eastern Star.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
Okay, so it's a fun, nice group...and why don't you allow women in it?

Isn't it about time? Would it be that upsetting?

Mixed Lodges do exist outside of regular freemasonry. And if I had any say, I wouldnt mind the presence of women at all. But thats just the way it is for now. And it does have the benefit of not being distracted by something other than masonic study.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yeah, it sure is a bad example. I know freemasonry doesn't replace a religion and it isn't a religion itself, apparently, from reading the wiki; but it is a philosophical belief system that apparently is very enlightening...

I just don't understand why you can't include women in it? I heard that some offshoot lodges do but the primary ones do not.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

Give it another 100 years and that limitation too will pass.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Wow, for someone who is claiming to be doing their damnedest to be dispelling all of this conspiracy theory nonsense, they sure aren't helping their cause by refusing to talk about the Appendant Bodies (which, based off my research, are mostly or totally innocuous).

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by Kacen

Give it another 100 years and that limitation too will pass.

I do hope so.

Though it's taking long already...

[edit on 9/27/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Wow, for someone who is claiming to be doing their damnedest to be dispelling all of this conspiracy theory nonsense, they sure aren't helping their cause by refusing to talk about the Appendant Bodies (which, based off my research, are mostly or totally innocuous).

Well, some things are private property, not for the internet or to be forever engraved in its search machines. Simple as that.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

All I want to know is what your rank is in the Scottish and York Rites. I've seen many other Masons freely divulge such information even without prompting, so I'm almost 100% sure that this information is not confidential.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

All I want to know is what your rank is in the Scottish and York Rites. I've seen many other Masons freely divulge such information even without prompting, so I'm almost 100% sure that this information is not confidential.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
As much as I love my brothers, I am also aware of lodges that are not so squeaky clean - and I don't mean stuff I've read in books or seen on youtube. Real world examples. They are by all means the exception, not the rule - however, bad apples exist.

Perhaps you are just being more reserved... but I still see your whole perspective being a bit myopic. You are describing a small microcosm, and even at that - just your own view. I highly doubt any corruption within a lodge will be made public to new initiates, or anyone not involved.

For example, the P2 Lodge

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Reply to uberarcanist

No, its not confidential. I am just not going to share it for reasons of my own, period.

But I also suspect to know what you are getting at: Like other repliers to this thread, you are probably thinking that "low-level-masons have no idea what goes on at the top". Suffice it to say I am not an infamous "33rd Degree Freemason".

The whole idea of non-masons (C-theorists) knowing more about the inner workings of masonry than the freemason himself is laughable. I have been told by an outsider: "You have no idea what goes on in your lodge". I grin and respond: "But you do".

I know some people who hold those Scottish Rite positions. Ive sat with them at tables, talked to them, questioned them, discussed conspiracy theory with them (yes, even that).

and there is nothing that has led me to believe that they harbour evil secrets in their souls. Nothing at all.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Skyfloating]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Interesting to see that you are ambivalent on the subject of freemasonry

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

but I still see your whole perspective being a bit myopic. You are describing a small microcosm, and even at that - just your own view.

ever heard of visiting other lodges as a guest?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join