It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

91-Year-Old Jailed 8 Days For Alleged Threat On Nurse... Claims Police Used Excessive Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   

91-Year-Old Jailed 8 Days For Alleged Threat On Nurse... Claims Police Used Excessive Force

www.local6.com

A 91-year-old World War II veteran spent eight days in jail after being accused of threatening his caregiver who apparently refused to let him take a walk around his assisted-living facility.

William Kepler was arrested at Deerfoot Manor Alf, an assisted-living home in DeLand, after an incident involving his nurse.

DeLand police were called to the facility, and Kepler was arrested after police said he refused to obey their commands.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I hope someone got a video of this and we find it on youtube. The police are out of control. Did they really think this old man could harm them? This is getting ridiculous!

www.local6.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/24/2007 by stellawayten]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
That sounds bad, too many bad police news lately.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
It said he had a fake firearm on him. Maybe the officers thought it was real, he wasn't listening to their commands and followed their general orders for their city. Right now all you have is a one sided story.

I think he needs respect because he fought for this country. But being ex -military he knows how it is to follow commands.

Thing they ought to find out is why he even had a fake firearm to begin with. Maybe he wanted to cause some problems. Everyones quick to shout police brutality. I'm not seeing anyone shout out that some people, not saying this guy is one, are complete jerks and will do stuff to cause trouble. Not all police officers are bad and not all are on power trips. That's like saying all conspiracy theorists are nutcases.

apc

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Uhh yeah that's usually a good way to get your face pressed against the floor... fake gun + cops. If he pointed it at anyone, especially the cops, he's lucky he's still alive. So he can't really be surprised at force being used. The level of force however isn't really clear beyond the cut on his forehead.

>
Maybe he wanted to die.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by apc]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I've seen a lot of stories like this one lately, but this one I think I am inclined to side with the cops for once. The police could not take the chance that the gun was real, regardless of whether he pulled it out or not. As long as it was visible to the police, or the man said he had a gun, then I think they were justified, despite his respectable age and service to country in the war.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Here's an unpopular concept: there are some old people that are meaner than a bag of snakes. Having been in nursing many years I can tell you that the only patients to have ever BEATEN me were elderly. I don't know what happens to their mind or what they've lived through to make them that way. Maybe they were just polite as long as they could and couldn't hold back all the years of pent-up anger anymore but they can bounce your butt like a Dallas quarterback. Nurses aren't allowed to defend themselves from abusive patients and the patients quickly figure that out. We're easy pickins. My guess would be that he wanted to die and his insurance wouldn't pay in the event of a suicide so he opted for police-assisted suicide. Pull a gun on a cop and be prepared to die of lead poisoning. He's lucky all he got was a slap on the wrist.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Whitewave, being an EMT I have been to many nursing homes. I never knew you guys couldn't defend yourselves. Is it a rule or just some common info passed on to employees? You have a tough job, kudos to you!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
No health care professional can work in the healthcare arena if they've ever been convicted of assault. Even if you've been accused or suspected of assault, you can be blackballed.

Assault is a VERY broad term legally. Basically, anything that makes the patient feel "threatened" is assault. If you come in their room with the syringe full of painkilling medicine they've been screaming for they can say they feel threatened by the size of the needle. Probably wouldn't win that lawsuit but they can eat up your time and money with it.

Desparate people with an agenda to make money off of someone else is the reason I've never carried liability insurance. Can't collect off you if you don't have any money. I have all my assets in an LLC, including my house.

As an EMT, you would be subject to the same rules. No b****-slapping the obnoxious or combative ones. Learn pressure points. wink wink.
We've had 4 assaultive behaviors by elderly on staff members in the past 3 weeks. They can be a vicious lot. They may not be able to walk but they can still kick like mules and swing their fists. I had one nearly choke me to death with my stethoscope. Can't restrain them physically or chemically either.

Truck driving school is sounding better all the time.

top topics

join