It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it gets crazy in U.S, what country to move to?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
If we get enough signs here in the U.S. tha it's about to "go down," and still have enough time to get past to border to leave, what would be the best country to go to??

Considering most of the world hates us because of Bush, so we have to tell people were Canadian?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I am an American. I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. For me, the United States seemed to have "gone crazy" long ago so in 1979 I moved to Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the United States. I cherish the U.S. Constitution and the "American Dream". However, the day I was robbed at gunpoint by a kid who looked like he was 12 years old was the day that things seemed crazy and that was the last straw.

I have lived in Canada ever since and I don't regret a minute of life in Canada. Yes, I do miss the U.S. at times. I miss White Castle hamburgers, I miss going to see the Detroit Tigers play ball on a regular basis and I miss the Summer Festivals and events in Detroit. But, to be honest, I still go to Detroit when the urge hits, to visit family and friends, to grab a "slider" or to see the Red Wings or the Tigers play. However, I have made Canada my home now and I am quite content.

(damn.....could I ever go for a sack of White Castles right about now).

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

If you only speak English, I would think Canada and Australia the best countries to seek out. I don't think the government of New Zealand would allow too many US citizens to move there during a crisis.

If you speak Spanish, Costa Rica can be a good option. Also, if you have financial resources outside of the USA and can access them from Argentina or Chile, both of those countries are very nice to live in provided you have the money.

I know some US citizens who have moved to Belize, and apart from hurricanes they are very happy there with all the English speaking people and Mennonite farmers etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
benevolent tyrant,

Why not move to a different town or state?Just wondering,although since things are getting pretty nuts these days I may be your neighbor some day.Hell you guys can complain about us like we complain about Mexico,you will feel like your in America again.

*On Topic

First I'd have to say I would want to try to stay in the U.S. and do whatever I could to defend it from whoever,a invading country or the goverment.But if things got way out of hand I would surely leave.Self preservation is first thought,this including your family of course.

It depends how bad of shape the U.S. is in.Would airports be working?
If no airports I say Canada,but there would be hundreds of thousands of other Americans trying to get there also,so I'm not sure how that would turn out.

If you mean world war or something I think i'd have to go to some barren part of Africa since not many bombs would be dropped there.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Here's a tool that should help:

CIA world factbook

It lists economic and demographic data for each nation, as well as a paragraph regarding trends in the country.

I think Brazil has a lot of promise for Americans. While the culture is very different, some of the values are familiar. Probably social tension is less racial, but more economic. You can read about their economy, which really looked doomed about 15 years ago, but their central bank has matured its inflation fighting strategy.

South Africa once held a great deal of promise, but it quickly being overtaken by overwhelming problems, like a 20% HIV rate among adults, and refugees from the rest of Africa flooding in.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
benevolent tyrant,

Why not move to a different town or state?Just wondering,although since things are getting pretty nuts these days I may be your neighbor some day.Hell you guys can complain about us like we complain about Mexico,you will feel like your in America again.

Well I did consider moving to another locale in the United States. But, except for the American NorthWest, I really couldn't find a place in the U.S. that could offer me the sense of sanity and security that Canada offers.

At some point, as you suggest, Canada might have it's own "illegal immigration" problem -- with Americans trying to enter Canada. It certainly is possible but I don't think that this is really a concern for quite some time. Until that time, I will enjoy my life in the "Great White North". Canada is a sensible country. It's a place that is not focused on being the "greatest country in the world". Rather, it seems to focus on simply being the "best" country in the world in which to live, work and, of course, to play!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I for one would consider Australia a good choice.

Far enough away that any craziness wouldn't effect you directly. Stable economy. No one wanting to declare war on them. Nicole Kidman..........

Plus i could adopt a duck billed platypus. I would name that duck billed platypus daffywillard. Wait! I'd get a kangaroo too! Yep, like when I take that kangaroo out for a walk, I could stash some beer in the pouch! Yeah! Yalk about convenient!

That's it. I'm headin' to the outback. Gonzo, mate!

Hmmmmm... Now BT has me wanting to go get some White Castles. I wonder if Australia has them?

[edit on 20-9-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
IF the world went to war, the one place I WOULDNT go to, would be Australia.
Id head home to NZ.
Australia would be prime target number 1 for invasion and occupation in my mind.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Out of curiosity, why do you say that?
I've never considered Australia as a place anyone wanted to invade.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   
if you do not get yourself situated BEFORE things hit the fan then your to late anyway. You need to make your choices happen before all breaks loose or it won't even matter...........food storage ect. It all takes PRIOR planning.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Its also worth pointing out that most Immigration laws in most westernised Countries wont allow you to just arrive and stay unless you have access to a lot of money.

Just picking up sticks and moving to another country isnt as easy as a lot of people think.
My friends neighbour in France has just found that out after being thrown out of the country back to the US after living in France illegally for 3 years

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
if you do not get yourself situated BEFORE things hit the fan then your to late anyway. You need to make your choices happen before all breaks loose or it won't even matter...........food storage ect. It all takes PRIOR planning.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

I completely agree.I do have plans etc,I'm just not sure wether I should/would try to stay and fight whatever/whoever with many fellow Americans I know would stay and fight.

Does anyone consider staying and fighting whatever/whoever?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Ok, well, the way I look at it,

1. Australia's military defence, is pretty much a push over.

My scenario, is here in WA we have a booooming mining industry, just ask China. Our economy at the moment is being funded by the chinese thurst for materials, ie steel, ore etc etc.

Should the world go to war, on the scale percieved for the 21st century it will be a massive undertaking.

I invision a large fleet akin to normandy landing on the Perth coastline.

It would pulverize the west Australian defence force in a few days.
Have access to this un-ending supply of materials for tanks, boats guns, etc etc..

All the chinese would need to do is setup defenses on the border, and on the coast.

They'd then have a major port of operations, that has a major mining and manufacturing industry.

The vast landscape of Australia, means it would take some considerable amount of time for the eastern states to build up and attempt a counter-attack on the west...
imagine 1000 tanks screaming across the outback?... it just wouldnt happen fast enough to repell the invasion.
And you only need to occupymaybe a fifth of open land...

Australians would fight to death, but we just dont have the equipment or trainined personal to repel a large invasion.
We are an armies gold mine... and once youve got your foot in the door, it would be VERY difficult to kick them out.

Im looking out over the CBD and the river right now at my desk, you could get 10 subs up that river right onto perths city centre, you'd only need 1000 armed soliders and I kid you not, you'd over-run Perth.

Yes our military would kick in to gear, arm up and be at the front line within hours, but that just wouldnt be enough time to repel an invasion.
If I had the time id find details on the Perth defense force.
ALSO, We depend on the USA for defense/protection. Thus why we went into IRaq, we cant bite the hand that protects us.
But RUDD, bless him is going to pull troops out of this illegial war, and I fear how the immature leader of America will react.
Maybe our defensive treaties wont be as airtight as they were under howard.

Also, once the war starts, indonesia has the largest % of muslims in the world. and we havent exactly been nice to them as of late.
they will flood in from the north, assisting anyone whos AGAINST the west.

Australia's great now, but we're easy pick'ns

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Dont worry Agit8dChop

You can just sit under the bridge over the estuary in Mandurah and continue catching crabs an garfish as normal, The chinese will all rush to Kalgoorlie and then North for the diamonds. After that itll be the Iron ore.

By the way. Is the rope still hanging from the tree over the river on the Pinjarra Rd a few miles east of Mandurah?
Spent some fun times swinging from that into the river many moons ago.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I grew up on that bridge!
Crabbing man I love crabbing, I still head out before the sun comes up in dudley park and catch a dozen mana's

Aint hit Pinny in a while, but i rmemeber the swining rope on a 40'c day.
The rail lines almost compelte, from Perth to Mandurah, only cost 1. something billion, and ran 6 months over time scheduale...
but alas, we now have a train!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I used to own a very nice house down in Avalon before it got developed and used to spend many a night under Mandurah bridge with my Tilley lamp !. Those were the days before Mandurah became a one way system.

Then I moved way North to Trigg

[edit on 20/9/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Considering I don't live in the US, I shouldn't really post here, but let's say I live in, oh, I don't know, New York?

Yeah, that'll be good. If the poo hit the fan then I'd move to Britain.
No, I'm joking, it'd be Canada easily. I've always wanted to live in Canada.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   

I live in as well Australia and IMO it's safe enough here since we're so far from everyone

But seriously speaking, there has been an attempt of invasion in Queensland by Asians. In the Vietnam war? correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm sure there has been an attempt, not sure when it was. But thankfully, the U.S come into the show and we were not invaded... or at least back then, but on the other hand, now we have to support the U.S in every war they get into.

On topic, i think the safest place to be is South America, they've seemed quiet and peaceful for the last couple of years, except for Chavez.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
If I didn't already live in my #1 choice -- Canada -- I think that I would pick Iceland. For one thing, I cannot imagine a more out-of-way place.

The people are well educated. The geography is interesting, albeit unusual (volcanic island terrain). The culture is, essentially Scandinavian -- Danish.
The women are beautiful, in an exotic sort of way (think Bjork). What more could someone want?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

The women are beautiful, in an exotic sort of way (think Bjork). What more could someone want?

Hmmmm......... You just might be on to something here.
HEY! I have alot of frequent flyer miles...............

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join