It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats support Affirmative Action

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

I appeciate your perspective and I am of the opinion that Veterans should be given extra points too. But those points are based not on gender or race(something which they have no control over)...but on a personal sacrifice they made to proctect this great country!!! Very different scenarios!

I agree

me too...I agree aswell...and I actually think that if you put on your job app. that you are a vet. then you get extra attention anyway....and like I said....most companies simply ignore this AA anyway..so stop bitchin and go get a job!!!!!!I am white and never had trouble getting a job because of AA...maybe you just need to learn a little more instead of blaming these types of programes for your short comings!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I suppose in the long run we all agree on one thing.

In a perfect world there would be no need for programs such as Affirmative Action. Bias in all of it's forms would not exist and Colonel would finally shut up.

Unfortunately, we're not there yet.

I still don't think AA is being done correctly. Rant has explained his experiences and as far as I see it that's the way AA should work. I had a different experience in my last job in 1993 when I was literally forced to set aside perfectly qualified "non-minority" applicants in favor of a minority regardless of qualifications. Mind you, this was not a "highly skilled" position I was hiring for. I mostly was looking for industry experience. I ended up hiring a (black) friend of mine from a couple towns away with no experience but he was quick to learn. AA immediately got off my bosses back and it all worked out fine in the end.
I don't know what I would have done if I didn't know Dave though. The Connecticut shoreline is blindingly whitebread. All of my applicants were white. I think the whole town was to be honest. We now have a much higher latino population but not really so much out in the suburbs. AA has not been a problem at all for me in my current job since we are a non-profit org. serving people with disabilities. I have 5 disabled employees just in my division.
The odd thing is that we have this certificate from the state allowing us to pay sub-minimum wage to those individuals based on ability.
Does anyone else see a strange correlation here? If you are born with green skin the govt. can make someone hire you for a job you may not qualify for at equal wages to a blue skinned highly qualified worker.
If you are born with a disability you could get hired for a job you are qualified for but you will be paid less than a non-disabled person who may even be less qualified.

Strange indeed.

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by Fry2]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally made by mcgotti............me too...I agree aswell...and I actually think that if you put on your job app. that you are a vet. then you get extra attention anyway....and like I said....most companies simply ignore this AA anyway..so stop bitchin and go get a job!!!!!!I am white and never had trouble getting a job because of AA...maybe you just need to learn a little more instead of blaming these types of programes for your short comings!!!

My man...I have worked since the tender age of 14. I have no regrets and have done well for myself and my family. I would only suggest that COMMI-LIB-DEMS (probably like you) not take my hard earned money and spend it on slugs(probably like you). No offense intended my good man! Just because a social injustice doesn't effect me directly, does not mean I must remain quiet about it, DOES IT? I would do the same for a slob like you if you were wronged.....Really I would!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
My man...I have worked since the tender age of 14. I have no regrets and have done well for myself and my family. I would only suggest that COMMI-LIB-DEMS (probably like you) not take my hard earned money and spend it on slugs(probably like you). No offense intended my good man! Just because a social injustice doesn't effect me directly, does not mean I must remain quiet about it, DOES IT? I would do the same for a slob like you if you were wronged.....Really I would!

ok people...again..this is extreme ignorance at work ...please ignore anything the above poster has said...he speaks nonsense!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

me too...I agree aswell...and I actually think that if you put on your job app. that you are a vet. then you get extra attention anyway....and like I said....most companies simply ignore this AA anyway..so stop bitchin and go get a job!!!!!!I am white and never had trouble getting a job because of AA...maybe you just need to learn a little more instead of blaming these types of programes for your short comings!!!

I have never had a problem with getting a job either so I hope this was not aimed at me

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It was not amuk......

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Cool

No harm no foul

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If all else fails, try to divert attention away from the subject and maybe they won't notice that you are a toad. I re-affirm "Any policy that dictates quotas based on race, gender, religion, or sexual preference are wrong" the point is not whether they are adhered to or not, the point is that they exist. mcgotti do you read what you write or just babble?!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
mcgotti do you read what you write or just babble?!

well of coarse i babble as much ass possible and read as little as i can..that is my way
ya..I am a real toad
talk about diverting attention away from the subject!!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Toad! Notice I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you could read.

My point remains:
The AA policy is biased

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by krankinkx
Toad! Notice I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you could read.

My point remains:
The AA policy is biased

ok ok..Im stopping this # now...you obviously have no sense of humor and refuse to post any good points...so I refuse to be involved in your ignorance...

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
you cant support equal rights and special intrest groups. thats not equal. if you want equal rights get rid of those groups then you have equality.

[Edited on 1-21-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by krankinkx

right on!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti

ok people...again..this is extreme ignorance at work ...please ignore anything the above poster has said...he speaks nonsense!!!

McGotti; What did I say about the Spirit of Cain in the repugnant? its in full flower with K..whatever's statement.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
You disgust me...you repugnant repugnants and I smite you smiter of smites...................."It gets old fast doesn't it"?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I support AA as I've said many times on this board. I work in corporate america. the positions filled by minorities and women are hand picked. just as Fry said-they see an open position and they know they need some color or some ovaries. I think this practice holds many folk back, because there are qualified minorities that get passed over cause they've got their blacks or women or their token asian and hispanic.

Walk into any office in corporate america you will see white males in abundance--white women next--black men and black women such as myself are last. I wasn't the only black woman at ISU taking Human Resources so what gives ???

There is discrimination and glass cielings that is part of the reality in america--it's not going away we all need AA...at least it addresses the problem and whether you like it or not there is a problem in this country. Doors are not open. Mainly it keeps companies honest it has little to do with qualifications.

I know I am the best person for my job even though some would see me as a plug in - it would be nice if the world was color blind but it's not...I know it's not when one of co-workers felt the need to tell me I was AA and it happened to be the laziest man I have ever met of any color (and lord knows I hate a lazy man). You shouldn't assume because someone is in an AA position they are less qualified for the position. It doesn't work that way in corporate america--lose a black gain a black, lose a woman gain a woman, that's how they do it.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheConservative
Stop with the liberal BS.

This thread should have been locked right here. Do you job, moderator.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by saphronia............Walk into any office in corporate america you will see white males in abundance--white women next--black men and black women such as myself are last. I wasn't the only black woman at ISU taking Human Resources so what gives ???

How many black females took Human Resources at ISU as apposed to white males. I'll bet more white males were in attendance than black females. That would only naturally translate into more white males in cooperate America wouldn't it?

These numbers are from Iowa State University's website:

2003 Campus Profile
� 27,380 students
� 22,230 undergraduate students
� 4,741 graduate students
� 2,082 minority students

Now that I look into it you probably went to Idaho SU Tech. I am trying to get those numbers right now.

I support equal rights not AA.

[Edited on 1-22-2004 by krankinkx]

[Edited on 1-22-2004 by krankinkx]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kramtronix

Originally posted by TheConservative
Stop with the liberal BS.

This thread should have been locked right here. Do you job, moderator.

Shut your hole.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Don't pop a blood vessel dude, would you not have that man voice his opinion??

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join