It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats support Affirmative Action

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by krankinkx
People who don't have the ability through their own merits to get a job need the support of the AA policy. Isn't that right Rant?

It is just a helping hand....right??

Not at all. That's the AM radio spin. The "policy" is don't discriminate. If you have 50 or more employees in a mixed area or industry where qualifications are represented throughout the population, then NATURALLY equality in employment should occur. AA never even comes up. When you wantonly go against all empirical evidence and obviously, for example, prefer whites or men, or whatever, given disproportionate hiring of one group as opposed to your community or industry as a whole... typically someone complains, then an investigation ensues, and you may or may not be found in violation of what you should have done all along. Corrections are highly suggested, then eventually imposed if you don't respond.

But again, it really doesn't come up. My one case where it did was in a part time staff of telephone interviewers. Too many were black. We raised everyone's pay and suddenly we had more more whites representative of the population, allowing us to get government contracts.

We didn't HAVE to do that, but it seemed right and we wanted the $$$ from government work. It's usually a win-win situation for employers to adhere to... doing the right thing. NEVER did I turn down a qualified white employee in any hiring, including even executive postions...nor did I have to opt for a person of color.

If you just do what you're supposed to, it doesn't come up. Resumes come in without race. You interview who you like. You hire whoever is best. IF you can't get enough say qualified BLACK underwater metal welders for your oil rig... it will never even come up, UNLESS one that you pass over complains to the government. If he was qualifed you do have inequal hiring practices, if none complain or none exist...an all white crew is fine.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Hiring, education and everything else should be based on merit and capabilities. Justice is (supposedly) blind and I think everything else should be as well.

I agree I wont the doctor working on me to be the best SOB for the job not just there because he was the right color OR because his daddy donated the right amount of money or any other bull# reason.

Letting someone in JUST because his daddys got the right connections is JUST as wrong as letting them in for being the right color.

I would be insulted if I was hired on or promoted or enrolled just because I am white or because my daddy bought my way in.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

you wouldn't flame people who want to give it a chance, but you would flame people who don't understand what you think you understand? hmm...

No i dont agree with AA becuase I really dont think that many people pay any attention to it any way...so really it does not matter..I doubt that many black people got their jobs from this anyway..But I understand the need for oppressed people to get a leg up in a socioty that loves nothing more than stereotypes and racism...if you are white and dont know lots of other white people that like to say "ni--g-ger"[forgive me] then i would call you a liar!!!!!!This needs to be here simply because most people are selfish ignorants...and thats the truth..and you know it!!

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I appreciate your level head, you sound like a tempered and intelligent man. If all things were equal, as the democrats claim they want it to be, the only criteria for getting a job or any other placement would be based on merit not based on some artificial criteria bestowed upon them at birth and which they had no control over. If that were to benefit a white man it would be a crime. We have laws on the books that make it illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of race, gender, Sexual preference, and religion. Let's just enforce those laws.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
The black guy can't get the job but Bush can go to Yale and be preisdent through his AA program. Does anyone see a discrepancy here?

No one, including Bush, should have anything handed to them based on race. But I don't think that race had any part in him getting into Yale. I am not saying that its right but the old statement is "Its not what you know its who you know". If you have connections you can get pretty much anything you want regardless of race.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Is anyone even reading my explanations of AA?

It's not sorting through resumes looking for the black person to hire. (You don't even know!)

And it's not asking a phone interview "Say are you black, cause I need me some color."

And it's DEFINITELY NOT "Sorry, Mr. White Man, you're the best for the job, but you're not black." Because that doesn't happen, and anyone that says it does or happened to them is lying or covering up why they REALLY can't get a job.

Please don't base your opinion on just hypothetical ponderings largely made popular by the likes of Limbaugh. Look at what corporate America has to say on the subject. NOTHING except we STRONGLY SUPPORT AA AND ARE AN EOE EMPLOYER! Without the slightest complaint.

The complainers are issue monkeys trying to appeal to white, middle class America inventing yet another thing for you to get mad about just for your vote. Kind of like the WAR ON CHRISTIANITY, same BS as the WAR ON HARD WORKING WHITE MALES.

White males and God are just fine.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm listening, Rant. I see you perfectly clear.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I believe that you are mistaken Rant. Civil service law in NYS provides asdditional points on exams for minorities. Those exam scores are the sole criteria for hiring for the respective civil service positions. Providing that you meet the requirements to take the job. Tell me that is not reverse descrimination!?

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I believe that you are mistaken Rant. Civil service law in NYS provides asdditional points on exams for minorities. Those exam scores are the sole criteria for hiring for the respective civil service positions. Providing that you meet the requirements to take the job. Tell me that is not reverse descrimination!?

How many points do you get for legacy programs?

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Any way by which you impose hiring quotas on the basis of race or gender is BIAS!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

How many points do you get for legacy programs?

This should be outlawed too

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
There is no such thing as YOUR 'Legacy' bias in NYS civil service.
NYS is second to none in DEM LIB policies.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
You know what's funny? These "people" who brought up this topic will bash AA but will not address legacy programs. BUT, when they get BUMPED out by the Asian minorities b/c they do better, they scream AA for themselves!

Oh, you thought I didn't know...

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure what in the world your babbling about but:
As long as we are on the subject of political parties, I'll let you in on a little secret about the Democratic Party. When I was young and ignorant like you, I believed that they (Democrats) were for poor people (which my family was). Now that I have a few more years under my belt I have grown to realize that Democrats are for "Keeping People Poor". They want you to be dependant on Government (and them) for your needs (food, medicine, education, housing). They NEVER want you to become wealthy unless in doing so you become a puppet for the party (which they know most people have no desire to do). If you do somehow break away from the grip of them holding you down and actually do well for yourself, they tell you that you are out of touch with your roots. Then they try to redistribute the wealth that you have worked to gain through TAXATION (now thats a premise that Democrats know a lot about). Each and every time someone takes a hand-out from the government for cash, food, housing, or anything else I hope they thank 'THE MAN' for keeping them down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You said this before so its no secret. Now, when Asian minorities do better than whites (and they have) and start bumping you out of your college seats, why do you scream AA for whites? As you have. What's the problem? I beleive it happend at Brown University (or Dartmouth) a few years back.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
They want you to be dependant on Government (and them) for your needs (food, medicine, education, housing). They NEVER want you to become wealthy unless in doing so you become a puppet for the party (which they know most people have no desire to do). If you do somehow break away from the grip of them holding you down and actually do well for yourself, they tell you that you are out of touch with your roots. quote krankinkx

This is ignorance at its strongest folks.....please disregard anything this person says.....

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I believe it was the great philosopher Forrest Gump who said "Stupid is as Mcgotti does" Or something like that.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I believe it was the great philosopher Forrest Gump who said "Stupid is as Mcgotti does" Or something like that.

Please be advised that if you feel the need to berate another that you must say somethihg constructive in your response dealing with the subject or simply do not respond at all.

link   

The exception to how corporate America does it is definitely different to how the the blue collar arm of government jobs must do it from NECESSITY. Though the required 'evils' may appear shady, imagine having no process to hire black police officers when you really need them. Granted, efforts are being made to improve recruitment at the source... but here's the thing. "Qualified" minoritites for shat jobs are more than likely qualified to earn much more elsewhere. So in order to avoid WORSE racism as in an all white police force patrolling South Central, they envoke temporary measures to beef up representation.

I had this problem when Georgia Tech was a client. Any minority smart enough to get a scholarship to Tech, could just go to an Ivy League instead. And they did. Now Tech was not about to lower standards, so they just suffer through less representation while trying to build more in the future by programs in minority area high schools, Advertisments, etc.

No doubt there are temporary shortcomings and the time will come when AA is not required, but that time is not now. Just imagine all white cops in Harlem to see why.

link   
By the way if there is an Asian that can do my job better than me, I will step aside and hand him my gun. That is the way THIS country is supposed to work, You get rewarded for excelling not for being a dope smokin' Lib.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join