It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats support Affirmative Action

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally made by Rant................. I've fired more snively little white boy racists for running their mouth more than any other group. And I liked it. May they pump gas forever spewing their racist glory to all who will listen. Or join ATS and add to this thread.

I don't think you would know a racist is if he were to come up an laugh in your face. Let alone if he was a moderator on this BB.

[Edited on 1-21-2004 by krankinkx]

[Edited on 1-21-2004 by krankinkx]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I don't think you would know a racist is if he were to come up an laugh in your face. Let alone if he was a moderator on this BB.

Ouch...hehe....

Well, my view on AA is simple...no.

I'm a firm believer in EQUALITY, not special rights... You got a black man and a white man up for the same job....fine, which one is better suited to the job? Skin color shouldn't enter into it either way....same for other criteria of discrimination.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If you truly believe in this form of institutionalized racism, the next time you need surgery, you will consult with the medical staff, not to find the name of the most skilled surgeon, but rather to be operated on by a surgeon that scored at the bottom of their class, but had the correct skin tone.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Gazrok, you're a reasonable person and I respect your opinion, but please read my whole explanation (not just another's excerpts) of how AA works from the persective of corporate America. (last page)

It's not "special rights" at all.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
If you truly believe in this form of institutionalized racism, the next time you need surgery, you will consult with the medical staff, not to find the name of the most skilled surgeon, but rather to be operated on by a surgeon that scored at the bottom of their class, but had the correct skin tone.

Yeah, I may just get someone oF Dubya's Affirmative Action background.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Isn't it also strange how a black man can call a black guy a 'n-word', and a white person white trash, honky, or whatever, but if a white person does it all hell breaks loose?

Is it just me or is there only one side to the coin?

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
yeah... Ummm, that's not what I'm talking about.

But way to shut er down, and turn the other way.

Ignorance...

Why don't you debate instead of posting some snide remark about a guy who didn't make the rules..

University of Michigan did.

And your response please? All in the interest of good conversation, no need to get so defensive.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

yeah... Ummm, that's not what I'm talking about.

But way to shut er down, and turn the other way.

Ignorance...

Why don't you debate instead of posting some snide remark about a guy who didn't make the rules..

University of Michigan did.

And your response please? All in the interest of good conversation, no need to get so defensive.

You might as well say: "Oh, um duhh, well, uh duhhh. "

Bush had his Affirmative Action legacy program WAYYYY before Michigan had their rules. Maybe you should address that before you attack Michigan.

Expecting the "duhh, uhh" answer again.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
I guess White AA is bad too but it worked for Bush. He got into Yale with Cs.

With his money and family connections, he'd have got into Yale with half a brain.

Hang on ... he did

I don't agree with AA though. I've worked with people from many different races and everyone got where they did by merit and ability. Maybe I just worked for the right company, but I truly can't remember anyone I worked with being employed purely for race or looks.

Surely ability must be the top requisite for a job. Employ the best, whoever they are, and you'll get the best job done. Or am I just being naive ?

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Mary Coleman is the president of U of M... She doesn't want it stuck down.. You know this all started with a white girl that couldn't get into law school there because
of her colour?

She had top marks...

and what is with the duhhh uhh stuff??

Is that really necessary for a board "moderator"

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This is the mudpit and I run it. There is a warning on the entrance. If you don't like it, I suggest more pleasant forums on this site.

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by Colonel]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The only reason why bush got into yale was because of his family...

His dad went there, and his grandfather went there...

A nice line up good american heros

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

The only reason why bush got into yale was because of his family...

His dad went there, and his grandfather went there...

A nice line up good american heros

His grandfather sold goods to the Nazis during WWII while American soldiers died. Good American hero! And legacy programs are a form of Affirmative Action.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
People who don't have the ability through their own merits to get a job need the support of the AA policy. Isn't that right Rant?

It is just a helping hand....right??

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Affirmative Action is Great and Terrible. I think that it is misaimed, and should be a transitory program only.

School model

Problem- Public schools are terrible due to the inequity of funding, being based on personal property tax, the rich areas get the money, and the poor areas don�t.

To counter act this, AA should be used to support people in poverty exclusively.
30.6% of Blacks are impoverished
9.4% of Whites are also.

I know that this is heavily tilted to the black side, but when looking at the actual population, this becomes a bit different:

Blacks
33,947,837 * 30.6% = 10,388,038 black people are impoverished

Whites
194,552,774 * 9.4% = 18,287,960 white people are impoverished

Now numerically, there are more poor white people than blacks. This is the reason that fiscal background should be the aim of Affirmative Action.

The transitory aspect of it would be that it would take place during a time of radical change to public school policy. If the public school system boasts that all students should have the same education, then the school should get the same money per student. No more state control.
Preferentially I would say that all kids should get the same amount nationwide, but this might not be possible, so at the very least it should be statewide.

Side note- for all you who oppose Affermative Action, I would encourage you to look into Legacy and other such programs

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is one of the most egotistical bull# statements from you yet!!!

This is the mudpit and I run it. There is a warning on the entrance. If you don't like it, I suggest more pleasant forums on this site.

You don't "run" # besides your mouth. William and Simon "run" the site. They just gave you mod powers as a sort of AA on the board so you would shut your trap about being "oppressed by the man".

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I don't agree with AA for this reason:

If a White male and a black male are up for a position and they have the white guy has better experience and education than the black guy then why should the black guy get the job? Shouldn't the black guy work to increase his education and experience so that he may get the job next go around instead of looking for a handout.

AA is nothing more than a way to destroy the idea of hard work and accomplishment.

Why in the hell should I work to improve myself when someone will just hand it to me.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

AA is nothing more than a way to destroy the idea of hard work and accomplishment.

Why in the hell should I work to improve myself when someone will just hand it to me.

Hell Ya!!!

I fully agree.

Hiring, education and everything else should be based on merit and capabilities. Justice is (supposedly) blind and I think everything else should be as well.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
AA sounds like Communism for the Politically Correct(aka Liberal Democrats)...Doesn't it??

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The black guy can't get the job but Bush can go to Yale and be preisdent through his AA program. Does anyone see a discrepancy here?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join