It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you talk to others about ATS?????

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I've been here for over two years, and only about two weeks ago did I finally talk to someone about this and recommend that they sign up. As it has been said, for the most part, this place is above most people I know. Most people sit in front of their televisions buying into what is fed to them, never questioning the material that is presented. When it comes to 9/11, most people couldn't even tell you what WTC #7 is.

I can remember about a year ago I did mention it to two co-workers, no longer work at this job, and we discussed a few topics that are prevalent here. They literally looked at me like I had four heads and thought I was crazy. Up until I left that position, they honestly looked at me differently, because I thought the way I thought.

For the most part, I do not spread the word of ATS. Mainly due to the fact that most people just do not get it. But when I get a small hint of tinfoil in any individual, and I think they might find our alternative subjects interesting, I immediately let them know of our site. I've never disclosed that chissler is chissler, and probably would not if they signed up.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Oh my gosh...he's so proud of ATS he's bursting into song!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
i have a close friend who posts here and we talk about the new and exciting threads almost every time we get together. to be honest, it's hard not to talk about some of the stuff i read on this site

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Only to selected people - even got a couple of them to join, and I'm working on a couple of others

I find that as soon as I say conspiracy, a lot of people switch off - until I explain that there's a lot more here than just that

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have a number of friends that I consider to be my "Intellectual Inner Circle." I have brought up ATS any number of times and even managed to get one to join. He never has never posted and now admits to never even reading the threads that interest him????

Please don't take this wrong, but most of the people I associate with on a daily basis, are just not interested in an intellectual pursuit. That is a shame as they may have much to contribute....

Maybe this is for the best.

ATS is not a place one could be dragged to. The free and unfettered exchange of ideas we are all engaged in are just that, free and unfettered. Any coercion would, by definition, corrupt that free flow and thereby change the face of ATS.

When I am on ATS, as funny as it may seem, I envision myself in settings similar to Ancient Rome, sitting around the Bath House discussing Philosophy. In a Tea House in Old England, surrounded by old books and the smell of leather as we all discuss those uppity colonists.

We have exchanged the coffee table, tea room and bath house for the keyboard and monitor, but what we do is equally as important. We should never doubt that, and we should always feel proud that we are carrying on a tradition founded in the intellectual pursuit of the betterment of all man...

Just my thoughts...

Semper

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I try to but after I keep my mouth shut because they think I'm crazy

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
There are 4 people in my circle of friends that I discuss ATS with regularly. These individuals, I feel, can deal with most of the subjects that get raised here. Everyone else in my circle appear to think that I have just eaten their first born, at least so I perceive, from the looks I get when the nonmainstream topics come to light in conversation. With these people I rarely use ATS as a talking point although they keep wondering how I hear about the breaking news before it hits their idiot boxes, like the earthquakes happening the last few days.

The first time I say that our governments are selling out our country and their may be a NAU coming in the near future, the light goes out in their eyes and I swear they mentally try to shut me up.

Or when the subject of 9/11 comes up, which it had a quite a bit this week, their answer to my questions and comments is that it just isn't possible. Although you can show them historical references to just such actions, they just can't comprehend. The 6 o'clock news didn't say it so I must be crazy.

As someone stated earlier, I look at ATS as a huge gathering of people of like mind discussing topics that are above most people's ability or want to understand. I don't think that makes us better than them, just more open minded then the folks who claim to be such.

In saying all that, I have got one friend definitely turned on to this site. I showed him the discussion thread on UBL first video last week and he was riveted. I don't anticipate he'll sign up but he'll be a lurker I think from now on. I caught him in the office of the restaurant reading evo80's thread about his daughters experiences yesterday when I went in to check on the Earthquake news, at ATS of course.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Actually, I am in dire need of replacing my ATS cap that I wear everywhere.

I do bring it up often. People at work now see me accessing it, and especially with the recent earthquakes in Indonesia, people were coming to me asking, "what is the most recent news?"

I simply replied, "www.abovetopsecret.com"

Then realized I was the only person in the office with a computer. :bnghd:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'll mention some topics occasionally and friends will send me stories usually. Then I'll give them further background that I found here, but I don't mention the site unless they want to know more. I'll give them a couple of sites along with this one. Once they hit this one they usually see the difference.

My wife knows about the forum, but is intellectual enough (has a history degree like myself) in that she can understand my wanting to read it for the sake of being and remaining objective and informed. These days she jokes about black helicopters following me around. If I pulled out a tinfoil hat... she'll take away the laptop probably. Then I'll be forced to use my ESP to see what other ATS users are reading in the forums.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
I was just curious to know if anyone else talks about ATS as much as I do?

kleverone ???

You're a Mod I didn't know of.
How strange, are you new to the Mod position, or did I just miss something.

Back to topic though:

I do talk about ATS to people, my husband has an acct. and so does my brother. I just don't see them posting very often, but I know they read.

As far as friends go, we've talked about it, and I know they surf the site from time to time, but I won't tell them my user ID. I just feel I need a bit of privacy from my friends, and the fact that I write about them sometimes, I don't want them to draw the connection.

I'll promote the site, but I'll hide behind my limited invisibility.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I have tried, but i get laughed at.

Too bad for them, they dont know what they're missing.

I am not to be taken seriously, i guess. I'm too happy, bubbly and people think that is nuts. Now i have a feeling, if i were miserable beatch, people would take me more seriously and stop by here.

I have a reputation as being "different" because i happen to KNOW MORE ABOUT WORLD EVENTS than anyone else i know....Ahem.... I'm a conspiratorial nutcase, and there is no Bush, there is no war, there are no lies, there are no aliens, there is no deceipt, and the people i know are NOT affected by any of the things we talk about.

Must be nice to be in the dark. I wish i were.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
DG,

You stay right there in the light were ya' belong and where we all like you...

Semper

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The "A" List

People whom I've known for a long time, such as family and friends, know all about my passion for ATS and why I love this place so much.

Since they know me very well in a non-ATS context, they tend not to make false assumptions about me based on my interest in "conspiracy theories", and several have remarked that since I started hanging out here three years ago, I seem to be much better informed about world affairs than I used to.

And they know that's no accident.

As for newer acquaintances, if I develop enough of a rapport with them, I may mention my involvement with ATS and explain why I'm so fond of it.

I think it serves as a good litmus test for personal relationships.

Those who are open-minded enough to accept my interest in non-mainstream thought tend to make better candidates for closer relationships in the future.

Those who would reflexively reject or ridicule such an interest, on the other hand, are probably unlikely to remain acquaintances at all.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Something about free advertisement just doesn't click. As for your plug to the ATS store, the ATS store needs to be heavily expanded with variety.

I mainly go into ATS at work. My boss once in a while asks me about some of the things on here but it is like all other sheep, you show them something significant and important and they just say, "Oh man that is bad, now I'm mad." or "Really, if that is true then everybody should know about this." Next thing you know they forget all about what you just told them, and then try to show you clips of a stupid music video on you tube about a cat that attacks his owner...weak....

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
are you kidding?!?! i push this site like a drug i talk just in general about stuff and then people say where did you hear about this and i tell them ATS most of my friends stay as lurkers though since they donet get on the internet alot

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Do I talk to others about ATS? Why Yes! Absolutely!

Ever since I first "discovered" ATS about four years ago, I've been telling everyone that I know about this amazing site. I've gotten to be a bit more discriminating about who or what I express about ATS -- naturally, if the person is interested in UFO's, I tell them it's a site with lots of info on the subject. If the person is interested in alternative news, well, that's what I push.

I'm sure that I've "worn out" some of my friends. But I know that I've gotten quite a few friends to visit. I know a couple of them are now lurkers. A bit more prodding on my part and I'm certain that they will get off of their couches and start expressing their opinions.

All I know is that when I find something good -- really good -- I want all of my friends to know about it. ATS is something that I want to share with all of my friends!

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by souls
Something about free advertisement just doesn't click. As for your plug to the ATS store, the ATS store needs to be heavily expanded with variety.

Im glad Im not the only one who thought that about the advertising thing?

In 40 years of wearing T shirts, Ive never had one person question what it was about, let alone 'lots'

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Sometimes I mention that I discussed a topic on ATS in passing during a conversation. I probably come across as a conspiracy theorist but I'm more of a political nut. I don't mention how addicted I am to ATS outside of the boards.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I only mention ATS to people I have known for a very long time. This is to avoid the "conspiracy nutter" stigma.

If I happen to talk to someone I recently met about some current event that has a conspiracy behind it, I try to manoeuvre the conversation in such a way that they come up with the conspiracy conclusion themselves. This is usually done with crafty usage of questions.

Don't say I didn't learn anything from psychology classes

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I've just bought a 30 metre roll of tin foil and made a LOT of hats, then I'm going to go stand on the main street wearing a sandwich board with Deny Ignorance and the site address written on it, and hand out the hats.

I'm hoping to attract new members, but I might get a little holiday in a rubber room with some non toxic crayons instead

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join