It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Nasty Are McDonalds Fries?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

Probably could just be the Burger King's up here in Michigan.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
this is madness
we will poop the food within hours as others sayd.
long before it desolves.
so the experiment says that they use too much preservatives on the fires making them hazardious?
i heard that americans had some bread that tastes like brick but last years

but i just wanna make jokes about the fries

hit them with a nuke,hit them with a ion cannon,hit them with a scud storm,hit them with antrax bomb hit them with emp bomb......still fresh

i dont care it tastes good cant resist

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
Thankfully I saw the McDonald's documentary entitled "Supersize Me"
in 2004 where the particpants almost died (literally) from a 30 day
diet of McDonald's food.

My entire family watched this short documentary and quit eating at
McDonalds. My wife and I lost weight, our kid's grades improved
and we all feel so much better.

I have to laugh, if you eat burgers, fries and pop every day, wether they are from McDonalds, BK or wherever or you cooked them yourself, it doesn't matter.

Everyone knows you can't eat burgers and fries and drink pop every day and stay healthy, it's common knowledge.
That's why I don't promote 'Supersize Me', because it flouts common sense, like DUH! As if people wouldn't know that's not exactly a balanced diet. Heck, I know that!

The magic word is MODERATION.

One other thing, the fries don't have enough water content to mold, there is not even any moisture on the jar surface, all the other jars are foggy, the moisture content is more condusive to mold growth of which the fry jar is not sufficient therefore no mold.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
just for a clarification ... McDonald's uses 100% vegetable oil to cook their fries. They were one of the first to switch. I say, try this experiment yourself. Cut some fresh potatoes, FRY them at home, and stick them side by side with McDonald's fries.

I also know that McDonald's doesn't cross vats ... Fish have a special vat, chicken has a special vat, and fries have a special vat. The oil is filtered every day, and changed usually two to three times a week.

This doesn't mean that eating a large fry everyday is healthy. But let's call it how it is.

Wendy's ... their fries are either a) cooked in lard ... or b) cross contaminated with fish and/or chicken. I can smell the fat, and, I can taste the greasyness in comparison. This was after only 1 week after being a vegetarian. I got sick to the stomach.

I think some of these places get a worse rap than they deserve. I have no stock in anything ... I don't work for any of these places ... I just don't like the bashing.

It is each of our responsibility to eat healthy. You don't have to buy a big mac, you can get a salad. The same goes for all the shops.

Should I sue coke for me drinking too much? or Hersheys for making white chocolate and me eating too much? Sue them for my health and dental, right?

I just see a bit of bias, and wanted to counterpoint for that reason.

These places aren't your enemy, YOU are for not choosing what is right for you.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Damn I just ate some of those for lunch. I haven't had them in a while... and really they dont taste that bad. I don't think ill be eating the frys again hehe.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Everyone knows you can't eat burgers and fries and drink pop every day and stay healthy, it's common knowledge.

Unfortunately, this is not true.

You might be shocked to learn how many people actually do eat at McD's every day. Maybe you should watch the documentary. It presents some truly horrific statistics on people who consume way too much of this product.

As mentioned by others, this is not surprising considering the invasive marketing that they use. Not only do they present their "food" as being an important part of the culture, but they do it in such a way as to make it seem perfectly acceptable as a dietary staple. Do you remember the old slogan "Have you had you're McDonald's today?". There's a large portion of the population that simply isn't critical of the media/marketing inflicted upon them. They just accept it without question.

Hell, just look at the number of people who have made the comment "I don't care, it's tastes good" in this thread! Anti-freeze tastes good, but I don't suggest you drink it. McD's food is loaded with fillers, additives, preservatives, and cheap/low grade base ingredients. This makes the product cheaper to produce and allows the company's bottom line to be that much more fat.

By the way, I do pick up a McD's burger every once and awhile (I can't stand the fries, tho). Last time I did, I got violently sick for 2 days after eating 3 bacon cheese burgers. I have no plans to return. Ever.
(Just for the record, it had nothing to do with the amount of "food" I'd consumed... I eat a LOT due to a hyper metabolism. For the same reason, I eat a lot of fat just to maintain my bodyweight. It normally does not effect me that way.)

Anyway, I've digressed.
Point is, McDonald's is a very good example of a Corporation that is willing to sell products that will harm their customers as long as it improves their profits.
Gotta love Capitalism.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Are you serious?

I also know from working at mcdonalds that there are times that they have had to bring in environmental clean up crews to some mcdonalds because the grease traps underneath the restaurant wouldn't decay and got so rancid it was an environmental hazard. Uhoh, the Mcd police are going to come and get me.

You are saying that because normal food breaks down fast that there is something wrong with it compared to mcdonalds?That's pretty funny. I really hope you are joking?

Just because you think it is all passing out the other end, doesn't mean it all is. All you see is what goes in your mouth and what leaves, and not what happens in between. Fact is, that stuff could be sitting in your system for days, weeks, or years. It is amazing how many chronic fast food eaters I see who are always sick and depressed. But it couldn't possibly be their diet.They love their fast food so much that they won't accept it is bad. Food that doesn't decay in a respectable amount of time just can't be good for you.

The McDonalds food did break down. Only the fries stayed the same didn't they? They threw away the regular burger and fries because they stunk out Morgan's office. And what? Did the McDonalds food used in this "experiment" not stink as well? If it makes good telly, then I guess it's okay to put up with the stink then.

They held the McDonalds food for an extended period of time to try and make a point along the lines of..."LOOK! at that Big Mac. Frosty goodness...mmmmmm." or perhaps "There is no mold on those fries. What is wrong with this picture?" They held the McSandwiches 5 weeks more then the regular burger and fries which were thrown away by the shadowy intern because of the smell. Then they held it for another 10 weeks to show it molding further. That's not proof. That's just trying to sicken weak minded people and make them think "Gee, is that what I'm eating?"

Just also to clarify for you. Our store cleans the grease traps. I did them tonight actually. We have a very high cleanliness standard which we abide by, and we actually care believe it or not. It is also personel choice to whether or not to go and have a McDonalds. And before you go on with all the "AHH, but would they still go if they knew what was in it?" argument, they know what is in it. They know it's unhealthy. Yet despite it, they want something in their stomuchs, to keep them going through the day. If they choose to have it every day then fine. If they do it just for a one-off then fine. There are loads of other resteraunts as well but the customer is always welcome to return for a milkshake or whatever.
Also, I wouldn't worry about the McD police coming after you. You are small fry believe it or not.

[edit on 4/9/07 by MacDonagh]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Souljah

There's almost as much calories in an order of large fries from McDonalds as there is in a Big Mac! I always skip the fries now when I go to McDonalds, and that saves my diet.

For proof, look up McDonalds French Fries at www.dietfacts.com.... Compare it to the Big Mac and Quarter Pounder.

One more thing: Most people don't realize it, but just eating an entree at your average restaurant will cost you a little over 1000 calories! So McDonalds really isn't that bad, compared to all of the other fast food chains and restaurants.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Mc Donalds ....hmm i prefer Quick personnally
,too much sauce in the burgers as the mc donalds ones...but still better.

I heard Burger King is the top notch restaurant chain in this field a.k.a "fast food", too bad i've never tested it out.

The thing that ruins almost everything are the sauces in the burgers each time i spend two good minutes to remove all this otherwise i'm sure i would be as fat as the average american i tell you, not to mention the possible disease that go along.

I believe all the things about fast food restaurants are half wrong i mean about the cleaning and stuff.They're probably more clean than your kitchen...within my country's boundaries at least

About the ingredients and stuff..i'd rather not know what they contains for my self preservation...

On a side note i must say i wouldn't eat in this kind of restaurant everyday, still enjoyable /handy sometimes

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I think its possible that the potatoes that McDonald's uses for its fries are genetically modified. If, for example, the potatoes are designed to resist fungus so that the grower will lose less crop and consumers will get more potatoes, then that could be tha answer to why the fries would last so long without growing any mold. Where would McDonald's get all of the meat and potatoes necessary to feed billions of people per day? The company is not going to be able to naturally grow enough cows, chickens, fish, pigs, and harvest enough potatoes and other vegetables in order to feed as many people as it does each and every single day of the week year after year after year.

Okay, maybe McDonald's can, I don't know their methods. It just doesn't seem like it's naturally possible to have that much livestock and crop available to feed as many mouths as they have to without some sort of artificial help. (Not to mention the billions or trillions of tonnage of McDonald's food that goes to waste every year; food that's prepared that never gets sold or eaten, and food that expires on the shelf.) I certainly consider that genetically modifying organisms to do something that they wouldn't naturally do to be an artificial process. Nature may have its reasons for crops to decompose quickly and to be susceptible to diseases. Nature tends to want things to be as robust as they can be, but in order for there to be a balance, Nature has to conduct a balancing act. And so genetically modifying crops may cause Nature to bring about something so lethal that no matter what we as humans do to counter it will be effective. You know, because to genetically modify one thing could mean that we need to genetically modify everything else. And since not every living organism on Earth has been discovered yet, it's an impossible task for us humans. It's an impossible task. Period. Regardless of how many organisms we've classified.

Just my two cents.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

I saw a special show on CNBC about this subject about two months ago. McDonalds outsources it's hamburger supply and processing to many small businesses in the food industry throughout the world. These companies make McDonalds hamburgers for McDonalds, but they are not themselves part of McDonalds. But in order for them to win the contract they must pass very, very strict and precise tests to make sure their hamburgers are exactly the same as McDonalds hamburgers in quality and taste.

It was a very interesting show. They have people whose sole job is to taste-test hamburgers from indepedent distributors to make sure they are up to McDonalds standards. The approval process is long and unforgiving. So everything about a McDonalds hamburger, from the appearance, to the texture and taste is quite deliberate.

I was impressed by the extent to which the McDonalds corporation goes to insure "quality." But then you have to think: If they can go to those lengths to make sure that third-party manufacturers make hamburgers the McDonalds Way, then it must be assumed that they go out of their way to make sure their product is consistently UN-HEALTHY, without concern for long-term health of their customers.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
too bad i cant even buy me some hamburgers and fries.
here its just too expensive.sure i can buy 1 or maybe 2,but not everyday.
the burger is small as hell and just too expensive
ive never even eated a big mac>_

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
This Video is BOGUS!! Why? Because this is a study on how foods break down naturally, that is rot! When we digest food in our stomachs, it does NOT rot there. Gastric juices break it down into more digestible bits and these are further digested in the small intestine and large intestine. If food rots inside our body, we get sick. So this video doesnt mean jack!

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
indeed its nothin,maybe they wanted to explain that mcdonalds use too much preservatives in theyr fries making them too unhealthy?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Yes - too much time, and no, its not a dismissal because I disagree with it - its a dismissal because its junk science. It doesn't replicate anything apart from what happens when you put food in a jar and leave it, and as I stated in my post, the actual cooking process of the fries will all but ensure that its bacteria free.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
A better anti ad would be to show a big chunk of fat being removed from the heart or neck of the idiots that eat that crap. NYC has a smoking anti ad like that. That is why people are dying from heart failure at 28 now, when 30 years ago it was 58. Dont eat that crap, dont shop at WalMart and walk when you can....Oh and eat veggies for a change.....And Fiji water, rant over

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

I also know from working at mcdonalds that there are times that they have had to bring in environmental clean up crews to some mcdonalds because the grease traps underneath the restaurant wouldn't decay and got so rancid it was an environmental hazard. Uhoh, the Mcd police are going to come and get me.

Being rancid implies decay, you don't make sense.

Also, as a post script, the use of modern preservatives prevents us all from starving to death.
Food would be impossible to ship, transport, and prepare without them. There are simply too many people in this world and things must be shipped too far to feed them all. Just because it didn't decay in the jars doesn't mean anything.

Mod Edit: Automatic Censors -- Please Review

[edit on 8-9-2007 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Im going to have to try this one

Just proves thats there are things that McDonalds put into their food products that shouldnt probebly be even touched by humans, but no fatalities yet

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I say so what. A few hundred years ago you could easlily die from eating rotten food. I'm with the guy who said who gives a #. I don't eat fries anywhere normally simply because I am a carnavour and like to keep my abbs rippin. I like meat and will even sacrifice desert for another bite of meat. Thats just me though.

I don't realy like fast foods but am often stuck eating wherever I can grab something. Decent food cost so much everywhere you go now its plumb rediculous. Anywhere you go that has vegtables is nearly ten dollars.

I do appreciate the warning though, I suppose whatever that preservative is they put on those fries could be harmful. I'll have to go back and read the whole thread in case anyone mentioned that. I don't have time to read it all now.

I guess a fellow could always pack a lunch if the fast food industry proves to be to unhealthy. I believe its fine long as you don't over eat, I could be wrong though. I'm all for anything that would help me feel better and stronger.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Nasty video. That chicken sandwich was the worst. Why aren't you guys/gals asking about that bun? Why did it turn to mush so quickly? YUCK!

Can we test this with real stomach acid?
Is there a chemical we could use that is similar to stomach acid?

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
I also know that McDonald's doesn't cross vats ... Fish have a special vat, chicken has a special vat, and fries have a special vat. The oil is filtered every day, and changed usually two to three times a week.

I have worked at a McD's. I know several people that still do. I have never heard or seen anything like this. They use the same fry vats for all of there items. The vats have timers on them. The workers drop the food in a vat of there choice. Then press the button for that food item. The oil that is used for the fries can and is also used to cook chicken and fish.

MacDonagh - Whats it like where you work? Do they fry things separately?

[edit on 6-9-2007 by HrdCorHillbilly]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join