It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster spider web spun in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Ugh! I had chill bumps after reading this...Yuck!
I hate spiders, but this really does it for me...see the link below

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yeah, I saw this earlier on FOX. Kinda creepy looking, isn't it? I hate spiders, too!!

Scientists Debate Massive Spider Web Blanketing 200 Yards of Texas Park

Aug 28: Lake Tawokoni State Park rangers Mike McCord, left, and Freddie Gowin monitor a giant web at the park near Willis Point, Texas.

SOURCE | FoxNews.com | Read more...

[edit on 8/30/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Thats just plain scary!

Does make you wonder if its a public stunt for a film ect,

Tell you what i would be standing no where near that, no for all the money in the world,

"A dispersal event is when spiders balloon out and try to go to a new area and because there was so many thousands putting their web up, they became trapped in the web and can't go anywhere," said Garde. The park says they hope the busy spiders don't go anywhere and just keep itsy bitsying themselves across the trail. Atleast, for a little while longer.

Tawakoni State Park says it's been told entomologists will be out to study the giant spider web. The park also says if you want to see the web it recommends you do so soon as it's age is starting to show.

www.kltv.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
OMG!

I'm so arachnophobic...and that so freaks me out. Oh, how I never want to walk up on something like that.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
there is these little buggers

www.bbc.co.uk...

who are the only communal spiders (i think) but they live in africa (thank gawd) but they do build huge webs like that

falling into that web would be my worst nigthmare and then some

and then some more

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Wow!

Shows what a little constructive team work is capable of!

Go social spiders!

*rah rah sis boom bah!*

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Oh, come on, guys! These spiders are just getting the place ready for Halloween!!!

Just add the skeleton, a few bats hanging from the trees, and we're set!!

I find it fascinating that the spiders changed their behavior... How many webs have I seen that were empty? Or big spiders trying to munch on no-seeum's?

My only concern is if these spiders turn out to be poisonous to humans. (Much like the Brown Recluse spiders that I am trying to coax out of the house...) And if they're jumping poisonous-to-human spiders....

...the Halloween party's off. Ain't no amount of candy gonna get me to walk thru that gauntlet...

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Here is some more weird spider behavior. I took these shots on at a house I'm wiring in the Colorado Rockies. I saw these webs and went over to get a picture of them. After about 5 step into the grass, I realized these were everywhere, as far as the I could see. That's about as far as I went.

There must have been millions of them.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Dude, that right there is the Brown Recluse. You'll always know by the funnel web.

Stay away from those spiders!! Usually they skitter away, but when they don't.... learn quick and go the opposite direction. They have fangs big enough to penetrate the skin, and the poison can cause necrosis if you leave it unattended.

A quick google search will provide more pictures than I can. They are originally from the SouthWest, but have crossed up to the NorthEast. They *love* hot and dry weather... (of course, up here, they've adapted.)

I've poked at 'em with a stick -- most of the time they run. My sweetie's poked 'em, and had one charge!!

Good rule to keep one's thumb: If it's got a funnel web, get the BLEEP outta there!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm not sure the picture above is of a Brown Recluse? I'm not saying that it isn't, however I did take a second to pull up some info on the Brown Recluse Spider. I grew up with also having known them as a fiddle back spider, take a second to look at the picture in the link. They do have a fiddle/violin looking mark on their upper body.

I've seen horrid picture of bite from these spiders. I have some of these spider living in my wood pile, and I never go out to get firewood without gloves on, and turning each piece of wood so I can smash them. I don't want any of these in my house *shutters* They are bad new!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jensouth31

If I had chips to bet, they'd go on Brown Recluse.

If it's not, then I'd still say keep away. It's the funnel web that I know the 'bad' (aka poisonous to humans) spiders by. The Wolf Spider, Trapdoor spider, Brown Recluse... evil. EVIL I tells ya!

. o O (I can't believe that I'm sitting here, on a Saturday, creepin' myself out by looking at pictures of spiders... I guess I should thank my lucky stars that we're not talkin' roaches, cuz I'd be emitting a high-pitched "girlish" scream...)

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Diseria]

new topics

top topics

join