It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prove you own the money or we'll take it !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
www.chron.com...

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A trucker has sued the Drug Enforcement Administration, seeking to get back nearly $24,000 seized by DEA agents earlier this month at a weigh station on U.S. 54 in New Mexico north of El Paso, Texas.

DEA agents told Prieto he would receive a notice of federal proceedings to permanently forfeit the money within 30 days and that to get it back, he'd have to prove it was his and did not come from illegal drug sales.

Evil governments !

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Guilty until proven innocent.

Sure the money's a bit suspicious, but that doesn't give them the right.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
My husband and I were discussing this last night. What a joke ! I can hardly believe that a person can't walk around with that amount of cash without being accused of being a drug smuggler. When I think of all the times we have left from the bank with large amounts of cash to go Christmas shopping or to buy a new car or home repairs. I really am hoping that this man is beyond reproach and completely innocent. Long ago my Dad told me to only make major purchases when you can afford them and to forget about credit. Well I wish I had obeyed a bit better...

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
They hate people having cash, with cash you can go anywhere, buy anything and leave no trace for the new STASI
Soon it will be illegal to leave no trace

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So... if I were to withdrawl half a million dollars in cash from my retirement funds... and carry it around in duffel bags... it's ok for the Federal Government to take my hard earned money from me, and force me to prove it's legitimate money... or they'll keep it?

I'd expect them to take my money due to irresponsibility... not proof of righteous ownership.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infoholic
So... if I were to withdrawl half a million dollars in cash from my retirement funds... and carry it around in duffel bags... it's ok for the Federal Government to take my hard earned money from me, and force me to prove it's legitimate money... or they'll keep it?

I'd expect them to take my money due to irresponsibility... not proof of righteous ownership.

Nope. . .That is the last of your worries, you still have to watch for me.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This might be a little OT, but my husband and I are going through an IRS audit right now - something I wouldn't wish upon anybody. We were just being audited for 2005 (not a good year for our businesses.) Things that I didn't even think would be questioned are being thrown out as invalid!!! My accountant was quoting tax laws to the auditor and things still got thrown out. Now we're being audited for 2004 & 2006 (also not good years for us). Nothing like reliving your worst financial years with the IRS!

My cousin got audited 2 years (not a good time financially for him). He went through a similar experience that I'm going through right now. He wound up hiring a tax lawyer because they said he owed Uncle Sam an outrageous amount. My cousin simply said to me, " Well what did you expect. The US has got to support a war somehow!"

Just a heads up - the IRS is targeting small businesses and "small time" people like me. This is because they can get through the audits faster! What a racket! I'm not making this up. Our accountant told us this. Why? To support an unpopular war.

Keep your receipts!

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
is'nt that a joke, they take your money every day and say nothing of it, It goes to funding something they will never tell you about. They are making billions of sitting on their butts. I personally want to know why they feel the need to tax us three times!? once on our paychecks, once on what we buy, and once every april or even before.

top topics

join