It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsters in closets, Full moon and Werewolves, where did they come from?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Monsters in closets, Full moon and Werewolves, where did they come from?

None
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
None

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I was just wondering where these ideas came from, out of curiosity..., like the Aliens in saucers, just facination, please respond.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This really should'nt be submitted as a news article since it's not news in anyway.

However to answer your questions.

Werewolves are a very old mythology and as such come from different sources in
different places.
Going even farther back it probably came about from the Greek games where hairy
men from the mountains were said to come down and join in the games occasionally.

Werewolves in the modern cultural sense our a product of medieval European
superstition and such as a broad explanation fro people who were very hairy or
acted oddly at night or during the full moon.

In North America the idea comes from the Native American myth of the skinwalker.

As for the full moon, well it's a semi-rare event and some animals mate and do other
things during it, so it is natural that myths and urban legends sprang up about it.

When it comes to the monster in the closet thing, I'll be honest I really have no
idea where that started, but I'm willing to bet it was in the 19th century in North America
or Europe.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
all throughout mankinds history & prehistory there have been StoryTellers,

sometimes these versatile players would be known as traveling minstrels, bards, thespians, fortune tellers, entertainers of all sorts.

sometimes the tales & stories they told had a reason behind it other than
the excitement or stimulation of the listeners imagination,

....for instance the Gypsies concocted the 'evil eye' curse for their own groups protection from angry villagers (angry after they found that they were fleeced or pick-pocketed by the bands of Gypsies visiting their villages)

every tale has a reason

[edit on 26-8-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
They all come from the recesses of our unconscious. They are expressions of our deepest fears and anxieties and are expressed in dreams, psychosis and myth.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I agree-these are all primal,tucked away in our reptilian brain somewhere-same as being ticklish (a nervous response to make us aware of possible spiders/snakes/insects when sleeping,possibly?).
The monster in the closet thing could be an age old part of our survival mechanism-fear can make you more alert to danger.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
They are just as real as anything else that is hard to believe with no proof to substantiate. Some stories being more believeable than others. As to where some may have come from, I would lean towards the unknown of the past. People did not have the means of explanation of new and unknown things so the stories of excitment were just as well.

new topics

top topics

join