It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds Virus Contributes to Obesity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Study Finds Virus Contributes to Obesity

www.forbes.com

WASHINGTON - In the buffet of reasons for why Americans are getting fatter, researchers are piling more evidence on the plate for one still-controversial cause: a virus.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.webmd.com
news.independent.co.uk

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Holy big giant fat ass, Batman, what won't those big pharma criminals think of next?

Look, this is getting out of hand. So obesity is now caused by a virus? Isn't that wonderful, that means big pharma can sell you anti-virals because you can't stop shoving cheesecake into your big fat mouth.

I don't believe it AT ALL. I really think that this is the next big ploy to make money. Think about it, vanity flows through modern society's veins, but so does obesity. It's the perfect plan. Just prey on the insecure and boatloads of cash can be yours.

Hey, how about we all do a sociological study. We can each follow an obese person around for a day and write down what they do. I bet we find a large number of common denominators.

Take a look at these two passages...

"Interestingly, other researchers have implicated another human adenovirus -- Ad-37 -- in human obesity." - The Web MD article

"Previous research on animals suggested that adenovirus-36, and two related viruses known as Ad-37 and Ad-5, can trigger obesity." - The independant article

So what does that mean boys and girls?

They've been LOOKING for a viral cause. Actively looking, AND probably hoping as well.

Proper diet, supplementation, and exercise can't make them billions, but an obesity vaccination, that sure can

Obesity vaccination, it has a nice ring, doesn't it?

I realize how trivial this seems to the more hard core conspiracists and religion debators, but to me it's very unsettling.

I'm going to keep my eye on this, but for now I must sleep.

www.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
That's great Sunset! LMAO! And so true.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
lol, i guess this virus is native to the USA

seems like thats where most of the 'sick people' are from

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

Oh grand, just what we needed: another reason to give human beings vaccinations that are processed with mercury.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
i suppose the virus is passed through mc donalds burgers then, that is crazy if they actually tell the public that, i really think alot of people will fall for it, it seems people believe anything they see on tv especially if it is from a "trustworthy" source like the news
well if they do indeed sell any drugs to cure this "pandemic" then im sure they will make the quick buck they look for

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
This really is an odd virus, and it seems to strike even the very young.

I think Americans spend more money on diets and weight loss programs than any other country on the planet. Now big pharma wants a piece of that nice fat pie.

The only thing I can't figure out is how this virus got loose in the States. Where was the World Health Organization or the CDC when this virus started sweeping across the land

Maybe they were just out to lunch when this all started. :shk:

Personally, I think parents of obese children should be charged with child abuse......

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
There does seem to be some good evidence here that a minority of obesity cases may be associated with this virus. Adenoviruses 36 and 37 are known to suppress the release of mRNA found in Leptin, which is a type of protein that only binds to specific receptors found in the Hypothalamus. This gland is specifically designed to regulate the metabolic rate, body temperature, hunger, etc. in humans and other mammals. Because AD-36 and 37 viruses work to block the release of Leptin mRNA by attaching through Sialic Acid on the cells surface, it essentially immobilizes and prevents it from binding to these receptors in the Hypothalamus. Without enough Leptin attaching itself to the Hypothalamus during consumption of food the body can not self regulate its own food intake. Thus, too little Leptin gives the sensation of the person still being hungry, which in turn causes overeating and obesity.

This is not to say that every case of obesity in humans is the direct cause of an Adenovirus, but there seems to be excellent evidence to show that a possible small minority are. Adenoviruses are not all that uncommon in humans, but they rarely result in fatalities and people are generally able to fight them off and recover; the fatalities usually occuring in a few cases in Immunosuppressed individuals.

Here is one study from back in 2006 that showed a link between AD-36 Virus and a decrease in Leptin production:

International Journal of Obesity

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Praise God and pass the buttered biscuits.
I hope and pray that we will one day have a cure for obesity. I've stopped going to buffets because it makes me ill to ses a 300 pound person waddle from the food bar with a plate piled so high that food is falling from the plate. We humans must learn to eat to live and not live to eat. Obesity is a killer.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I read a report earlier this summer about parasites linked to migraines.

www.thehealthyplanet.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzerman

It seems that you're the virus guy.

So, I axe ya, how do you catch this virus?
Is it airborne, or is it a little bit more difficult?

Are some people naturally immune?

Why don't the truly athletic and healthy get it?

It's just that these articles contain so little information that it sounds like it's a carefully worded spin set up by the pharacutical-industrial complex.
And us american dummies eat spin up like cheesecake, bunch of fatsos we are.

It's just that, I've noticed that whenever anybody ever asks me how to get in good shape they NEVER like the answer. They usually do like the easy infomercial style answers though.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Big pharma likes to put it to the people in very simple terms so they don't have to think too much. They take a complex disease state such as heart disease or obesity and reduce it to a single cause which luckily they have a cure for. Heart disease? You have too much cholesterol. So simple! Just take this drug to make it lower. Obesity? We found the cause, a simple virus. Now come get your shot.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sunsetspawn,

The basic methods for being infected with an Adenovirus of any serotype is commonly through physical contact with an infected person, by inhaling in coughed out saliva droplets containing the virus, or by coming in contact with non-dried viruses on common objects. Essentially, the virus is not airborne, but can survive outside of the body in water droplets or saliva expelled by a person through coughing. Infection with this particular class of virus displays symptoms similar to that of a Rhinovirus infection in that respiratory problems are most commonly noted. Like any viral infection it can cause multiple symptoms, and the patients own immune system is generally able to fight off the infection over time. AD-36 and AD-37 do not have symptoms common to most Adenovirus serotypes, and because of the suppression of mRNA in Leptin it has been found that it can contribute to the buildup of fat through the process I previously described.

Currently, there is no easy way to conclude why some people display adverse reactions to AD-36 or 37 infections, and why others don't. Keep in mind that any virus in a particular person, including various forms of an Adenovirus, can make people display different symptoms. For example...while in one healthy adult this virus may be characterized by the symptoms of Bronchitis or Gastroenteritis, in another unhealthy person it may make the person display symptoms including adverse obesity.

Now, what can be called the "smoking gun" in this whole puzzle is that people that test positive for AD-36 Antibodies and have obesity display very low levels of Cholesterol or fatty acids (lipids). With normal weight gain the presence of high Cholesterol goes hand in hand with obestity, and the fact that this remains very low in obese people with infections of AD-36 points to viral responsibility. This is not to say, of course, that every case of obesity is caused by a viral infection, but that a small minority very well may be as it causes Leptin blockage in the Hypothalamus.

[edit on 25-8-2007 by Jazzerman]

top topics

join