It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's over house, son scared to play in the backyard

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
It is so easy for someone to come on here and post a "story" and get everyone so riled up, lol. Maybe that's why they do it. ATS has a lot of people out there that like nothing better than to see a bunch of members here fall over themselves concerning some ridicules story that they themselves, or their "buddies" posted.

It goes something like this:

"Hey (insert buddy name here) go look at what I just posted over at ATS, hee hee. Lets watch them make fools of themselves"

While there may be a few bored and boring individuals "out there" who would do something that stupid, it doesn't matter. This sort of paranoia, and yes it IS paranoia, that we may look foolish for allowing someone to use the forum for exactly what it was created for is really wearing me out.

WHO, exactly will be "laughing" in your example above? WHY would we care that people like that are laughing at us? If a situation like the one you describe comes about it won't take long for it to be found out and the hoaxer banned, etc...

On the other hand, IF there is truth to the story (NO matter how hard it is for some to believe) using your criteria, we would never find out.

I've had to restate the "rules of engagement" a few times in the past and I had hoped and believed we were past this level of immaturity as a community but after reviewing this thread I see we are not.

When someone comes to ATS with an experience or a "story" to tell they WILL RECEIVE THE COURTESY AND THE ABILITY TO SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE WITHOUT BEING ACCUSED OF HOAXING, CALLED A LIAR, RUDELY INTERROGATED, BADGERED OR ILL TREATED IN ANY WAY.

If after the ALL THE DETAILS are presented the vast majority of the Membership feel the story/experience is a hoax it will be addressed accordingly.

I will say however that anyone who expects to come to ATS and present an extraordinary story without getting politely questioned and asked for supporting details to bolster the claim has certainly come to the wrong forum.

This is a two way street, the skeptics must be polite and the presenters/true believers must have thick enough skin for discussion.

We have established a new policy that the "[HOAX]" tag will only be applied by one of the three owners of this site going forward. The reason for that should be obvious and we hope it will avoid the confusion we saw in this thread.

I want to reiterate, if you can't add to the discussion, DON'T POST, if all you have to add is your opinion that the OP is liar and a hoaxer BEFORE all the details have been presented DON'T POST.

Also, if you can't take the "heat" of courteous questions, challenges and the logical demand for supporting details to your story, DON'T POST it.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Still, we should try to remain civil towards the individual, instead of barraging them with slanderous remarks about them and their credibility as a human being when they have attempted to explain what they saw/experienced. I've been here a good while myself, and I've seen the same types of tactics used as well.

What I suggest is that we stop attacking people's credibility, and move towards some sort of resolution to the problem. This way, if we can keep our focus on the issue at hand, we'll spend less time squabbling over the nonsensical nature of human interaction, and more time on finding the answers that brought us all here.

To put it plainly, we need to stop being so anal. I even include myself in this because I can get heated in a debate, and do once in a while. Objectivity is hard sometimes, but it can be achieved. Well, as closely as we can to it, considering we're all biased humans, or at least I hope we are...

TheBorg

Thx Borg for the down to earth wake up call. I admit I was on the side of hoax as well. And still am to be honest because the OP took his ball and went home so to speak. I didn’t contribute much to this thread because I got derailed when the psychics started hammering me when I agreed with the liar, liar pants on fire comments about the water color picture issue.

I try and allow for al the facts to be brought forward before I call an OP out but in this case the OP only gave us a tid bit. A story and a drawing. This to me would make the hounds come out in full force, because this site is so about the proof. It may help to have a disclaimer when new members sign up which states you are about to enter the world of fact finding and truth seeking, please make sure that when posting a story you can add credible evidence to it so that a good investigation can move forward. Beware there are very intelligent members with vast experience in many different areas so have your act together or they will feed on your hesitation to provide those answers being asked.

I feel that anyone who creates a thread has the responsibility to stay with it till conclusion. Running off because not everyone believes you outright is a sure sign something here wasn’t right. If had brought this story out and got the treatment this OP did I would have for sure came back with a video of the Dog cringing by the back door, the Son crying when I tried to walk him out back. I would have provided more info on how the pic got scanned in and resized or at least got my location right the first time instead of coming back and saying OH I forgot to tell you I moved from TX to Canada. A lot didn’t fit here so I can understand why the OP got jacked. I just wish I had of been a bit more grounded and that’s where you and NGC helped me. Thank you next time ill try and be a better investigator.

Take care everyone

To forest lady and BO XIAN got nothing but love for yas both. Just try not to assume, or judge anyone you don’t know. I only want to find the answers to....... and I have my own mind and will make my own decisions on how I feel about everything. Remember it’s easy for people to be harsh and critical when they are typing on the internet. Prob would be a bit more respectful if it were in person, don’t you agree?

Take care

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Bunch
Is there a way that we can put together all the post of TLH in a post here or just have a link to all his posts?.

You can see all the contributions of any member within a thread just by clicking on the [thread] link just below their post. Here's the link for TLH
Texas_Longhorn thread posts

Ok, I read all of Tex's posts in SO's link........then I read the rest of the posts on this page (edit, make that page 20)......then I had to re-read the 11 posts in SO's link!

?......are we all talking about the same 11 posts?? Has a particular vile post by Tex been deleted??? ( was there really a " HOAX " label added ??? 'cause I'm not seeing one now??)

What in the world did Tex claim that was so horrific??!! That his son made a drawing of 'something'......that he and the dog were refusing to go out into the backyard??? Then he saw something??

And then he made a post about it.......How dare he!!? Get the torches! Tolerance must be denied!!

(edit to change the pg. no. cited above, as to not be called out !
)

[edit on 22-8-2007 by frayed1]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I've read all this post and refused to comment because of all the attacks. I personally think there should be a disclaimer that everyone should have to read before proceeding to the threads. Maybe even zero tolerance on making rude comments and calling people liars etc. Some say that the OP TexasLH should come back with proof and credit himself despite all the bashing he received. I say we need to prove ourselves worthy of reading a story like his. I myself would go on to another site or keep it to myself after all the crap that was thrown on TLH. Anyway that's my opinion and just be courteous to others even if you think it's a hoax. Let the hoaxter proof himself a hoax.

[edit on 8/22/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by geemony
To forest lady and BO XIAN got nothing but love for yas both. Just try not to assume, or judge anyone you don’t know. I only want to find the answers to....... and I have my own mind and will make my own decisions on how I feel about everything. Remember it’s easy for people to be harsh and critical when they are typing on the internet. Prob would be a bit more respectful if it were in person, don’t you agree? Take care

Geemony, thanks for the compliment. I do have a question for you: how was I assuming or judging someone without knowing them? My only complaint is the discourteous ad hominem attacks on the the OP. I am sincerely interested to know why you think I judged someone, as I try very hard not to judge others. My posts weren't even aimed at any one particular person except when I responded to Val's post. You can U2U me on this so we don't take up space here.

The reason I didn't hit the complain button is that I have never had any of my complaint posts answered and I have posted several. I'm with Cuhail on this one, I am up to my eyebrows with the discourtesy and sometimes insulting/attacking ways that people on ATS treat each other. I'd had it yesterday and I blew up. Val thinks I'm just being hysterical for no reason, but I'm not, I'm frustrated and angry at some of the things I've seen here. And when I report something, I get no answer. After 2 years of this I'd had enough of it. It was discourtesy that made the OP run off, nothing more as far as I can tell. There's no way I would have stuck around if that had happened to me on my first post here. Maybe he was a hoaxer, but he may well not have been, we just don't have enough information.

Now for the topic: In answer to the person who asked about children's drawings: yes, there are a number of ways to interpret children's drawings. I know something about it, but by far, I'm no expert. Bo may have some input on that one, not sure. But I do think that if there's someone here who is good at analyzing kid's drawings, it would be a good way to find out more info.

I saw nothing that indicated blatantly that this was a hoax. And like, Bo, I've been a professional interviewer for many years, I was trained to try to detect BS when a person is talking. It always takes awhile before you can be sure. Someone else mentioned that sooner or later liars always trip themselves up and I've found that to be true. I've also found that it's much better to gather as much info as you can in a respectful way before making any decisions. Though he may have been hoaxing us, I'm not satisfied or entirely sure that he was, I needed more info from him.
As I said, I see nothing here that screams blatant hoax. How he spells the word "colour" has no significance in this case, because it has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
Having said that, I do find it odd that he didn't bother to ask his son who the red man was in the first drawing and I wonder why he didn't follow up on the red man by asking his son more questions about it. If he was a hoaxer, though, I'd say he wasn't very good at it because I would think that he'd have a story about the red man or at least offer more info on him to flesh out his hoax.

[edit on 22/8/07 by forestlady]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
See my post at top of page 11. Again I maintain that Longhorn's story is missing the real "meat" that the believable (or more believable) accounts of the extraordinary have. Real experiencers go out of their way to acknowledge and address the skeptical or dissenting views, because at least most of us are smart enough to know that a significant number of readers aren't gullible . That guy just basically blew in and out of here with minimal info and no corroberation.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Now for the topic: In answer to the person who asked about children's drawings: yes, there are a number of ways to interpret children's drawings. I know something about it, but by far, I'm no expert. Bo may have some input on that one, not sure. But I do think that if there's someone here who is good at analyzing kid's drawings, it would be a good way to find out more info.

Thanks for the feedback.

I understand that people may write something, having a thought in their mind, and have to words not clearly state the thought to another person reading those words.

The OP words don't clearly state the picture is associated with the 'shield' sighting. It could be implied as such but maybe the dad just assumed it. When I look at the Cap America picture I think that if his son was drawing the shield, he would have made it much more round or elliptical. His Cap America picture looks proportioned well. Maybe the whole picture aspect is not related to the backyard fears, at least directly. It was drawn earlier in the year. I thought if there some well founded evidence that it shows distress in the artist then it might show a long period of emotional stress from a fear and may well be a clue.

I really have to wonder why TLH simply states he also saw a shield and does not mention any other details or use a more common term for it's shape. He also doesn't comment about a comparison of his sight to the drawing.

Without more visits from TLH, I realize I'm just speculating and will get no closer to the truth. Until then if ever...

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Here is what I find odd about the story. Being in construction for many years I have never seen one residential home with a 10 foot fence and rarely do people have 6 foot fences in their yard, unless privacy is a concern.

Commercial and industrial properties will have 10 foot fences but not residential homes, in fact most cities allow 6 foot fences only with a permit and consent from surrounding neighbors, anything higher won't fly.

But the story was interesting.

Good point. The ten foot caught my attention also. But, it was in Canada, and I won't pretend to know what the specific housing/construction codes state. In addition, OP's area might have few restrictions on fences.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

Originally posted by geemony
To forest lady and BO XIAN got nothing but love for yas both. Just try not to assume, or judge anyone you don’t know.

I WOULD LOVE TO RESPOND TO THAT ISSUE . . . however . . .

I am evidently singled out as the only member who is not allowed to make such comments in this thread else I'll be warned and points subtracted. Maybe I'll comment in a U2U and maybe I just won't give a flip or bother. I don't enjoy points being subtracted for what appears to be personal bias/vendetta reasons.

It's been too long since I was active in terms of house/tree/person drawings and especially children's drawings to give a very experienced or knowledgeable perspective. I will comment from the residue of that experience base . . .

The drawing looked authentic enough for a child. The Captain whatever later drawing--the blue one--looked even more so. Before I made a firm evaluation, I'd want more drawings over a year or 3 by the same child. I'd also ask the child to draw some in front of me with parents absent. I'd ask him to draw his favorite drawing subject(s). Then I'd ask him to draw each of his parents. Then I'd ask him to draw his family. Then, in this case, I'd probably ask him to draw 1-3 ET figures. Then I'd explore the drawings with him.

The ET figure was disturbing to me when I first saw it. My strongest feelings were intense compassion for the boy. I felt and still feel from that drawing that the boy has seen ET's related to the craft whether he has clear memories of it, or not. I think they did very frightening things with him, to him or at least were threatening. The red color and the over all effect of the drawing is very disturbing to me as I try to put myself in the 7 year old's skin.

It is conceivable that the red color reflects the boy's anger at the ET's and at feeling helpless to talk about it whether for fear of ridicule or because his own memories are so mangled as to make articulation about it very frustrating and difficult to him. But that's a lot of conjecture.

I agree that eventually, the truth will out given enough dialogue and information. I'm quite patient about that evolving in a RELATIONSHIP. I'd better stop or I'll get more points subtracted. GRRR.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Thanks for your insight. I suppose there is only a very small chance you could get the opportunity see enough pictures outlined in your reply given that TLH may or not be around. I am still on the fence as to whether the red man really indicates an ET experience or just a coincidence that can fit inti the event.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

NGC2736 Said:
There was a thread a few days back where someone found a tiny square metal "thing" in the back of their throat, and coughed it up. This person was naturally concerned. Turned out it was the staple that holds a set of bristles to the brush head.

The point was this thread took a very nice and unexpected turn. People actually looked for the explanation to the event instead of turning into a mob, and lynching the OP. Except for one or two people who questioned the veracity of the poster, most people just went looking for a way to understand what had been reported.

My point exactly! Because educated posters knew the difference between a hoax and the truth. I for one love to give out the rope but when the noose starts to tighten right away you tend to get a lynching. Kinda like the Sherriff's start the investigating and the lynch party jumps in and does the hanging because the lawmen are going too slow or treating the perp to nicely.

It is wrong to jump an OP or insult them but many here have been looking at these stories for so long that even the most subtle issue is noticed right down to the words used and the style of writing.

That's all I'm saying.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
It is wrong to jump an OP or insult them but many here have been looking at these stories for so long that even the most subtle issue is noticed right down to the words used and the style of writing.

That's all I'm saying.

imho . . .

Such is AT BEST a very subjective art and far from a science.

The dad was treated as though such was an exact science and he had been absolutely 100% proven grossly and horribly lacking and that it was insulting to have to bother with him.

Wellllllllllllllllllllll excuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze me! Not by a long shot was such the case.

That was a functional falsehood yet the dad was the one accused of lying.

That's part of what I've tried to vividly articulate.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I want to reiterate, if you can't add to the discussion, DON'T POST, if all you have to add is your opinion that the OP is liar and a hoaxer BEFORE all the details have been presented DON'T POST.

I think that was important enough to be posted again

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I dunno what to say, but this thread is pure comedy gold.

I love almost all the responses, I'm only up to the page after he posted the Captain America pic, and some of the responses ("yea and you made sure to go outside the lines on that one", lmao) are so funny, I'm nearly crying.

If anything, this thread gave me a great laugh, I'm gonna go back and continue reading, i hope it get's even funnier.

I mean this is even more intense of an argument than that chadsquito CGI contest thread. Now we have battle of the crayon, water color/colour experts.

*Goes back to reading thread to see if Springer is gonna bring in someone from Disney to analyze and try to reproduce the drawing/painting, see if he can't hit the 1,000 water color stroke count in two hours using MS paint*

**EDIT** aww darn springer you spoiled the ending on page 15

prolly just as well this thread was reading like a perfect satire to the chadsquito thread it was getting a bit scary and not so funny anymore.

[edit on 22-8-2007 by Nola213]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

The important thing to notice is that every single straight line is parallel with the edge of the screen. That doesn't happen with hand-drawn art.

Now compare that with the crayon drawing he provided later

These things combined with several other corroborating details (Longhorns use of British/Canadian spellings of color/colour and neighbor/neighbour), his ambiguity regarding the picture details, Lead me to believe that this is a hoax. I know I am reiterating myself, but the most pertinent detail is the fact that those straight lines align perfectly with the screens edge. For me, a dead giveaway that the image was generated with a computer.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

honestly, i think you might be on to something. It is VERY strange that those lines are PERFECTLY straight. This thread has just become a huge mess. I think it should be closed until the op decides to return (just my opinion) to defend himself. Because we're getting nowhere. Hoax or no Hoax, who cares anymore? Its over and done with. Theres nothing to talk about until the OP comes back, which im pretty sure he said he isn't in his last post.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't post here often, I mainly lurk. But I have to say I believed Texas Longhorn -- maybe I just wonder why anyone would waste their time trying to hoax a forum, but maybe that is just me, I am often surprised my the actions of people.

I believe because I have been around little kids and seen their artwork, I saw nothing unchildlike in the drawing and some of the debunking was rather ridiculous.

Although I cannot prove it and have no documentation to soothe worried and jaded minds, I, as a 5 year old, moved into a old house and was terrified to walk into one room. Many years later, I discovered a woman fought a long and painful battle with cancer in that room and died there. Later in the weeks before my own sister died I was terrified to let her out of my sight. No, I can't prove this, but it happened.

Kids know stuff and dogs are sensitive and Texas Longhorn sounded sincere. The reason I do not post here often is because I have seen this attack dog behavior over and again on these threads.

I agree with Springer, I don't think there are hoards of people attempting to make jokes of you folks. And my thanks to Bo Xian and others for trying.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

EE, good point about the straight lines. I went back to look at the pictures again and I wondered about that, too. Another thing when I looked at the pictures again just now, I felt that there was ALOT of anger in those pictures. I'm wondering if the OP drew those pictures himself?

Another thing: when people began to ask him questions of any depth, and/or became rough with him, he answered with very little emotion. It was as if he switched off his feelings and went into "story-telling" mode. THe normal response would be to either be defensive, become hostile, provide whatever evidence there was, or be angry at being called a liar. I didn't sense any of that in his last posts.

I don't have a good feeling about this...

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExquisitExamplE

The important thing to notice is that every single straight line is parallel with the edge of the screen. That doesn't happen with hand-drawn art.

In CG straight lines are always parallel to the edge due to the square shape of the pixels. The only way around that is a high enough resolution to hide it from your eye. If you zoom in on any image far enough without re-sampling you will eventually see jagged edges except were they run perpendicular to the edges. That is just the way it is.

I see I've missed quite a little Soap Opera. Kudos to Springer for the level head.

I don't know what is real or not. I don't know if the OP drew this or his child did it. I know Texas asked for advice and got a lot of insight into the dark side of human nature instead. Texas if you are reading still, I think you could come back safely and post the info you promised? There are plenty of level headed people here and keep in mind there have been a lot of hoaxes lately. I'm still a little miffed by one I missed I should not have. I even own the software and the tree models used. Talk about embarrassed
I was even thrown off ATS once and came back without ridicule.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join