It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's over house, son scared to play in the backyard

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Torlough

I agree, I would be very hestitant to share a sighting or a strange event here, the attacks are overwhelming. And if the guy is truly concerned about his son and seeking advice, well, I guess we showed him, huh?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

So you saying that he is all familiar with shields etc etc etc...and not with flying saucers......?
He Never heard of flying saucers while he knows everything about shields appeerantly..

Drag in a kid to your(fake)story and expect everyone to trust you, is that it?????

Im very open minded, a bit too open minded maybe to smell bs in a story and how its brought.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I just read from last post to what appears to be the end of page 17, so if there's more, sorry.

There was a hasty conclusion made by a senior MOD, (Springers words) on putting the hoax tag on here. It has been removed because nothing has been proved.

Go ahead and warn me if you feel the need mods, but I'll speak my piece. This has been the absolute most disgraceful display I have ever been a witness to. And say what you will about staying on topic, but the REAL topic IS the behavior on these boards.

I will not call names; you, I, and everyone else that can read know who I mean. I certainly hope that you got the "call to self glorification" out of your system on this one. And the mod that chose to make the "hoax" call on this one, and then still lacks the gumption to admit to it, is just as bad.

Am I off topic? I doubt it. The topic here on this thread is UFOs and the reporting of such things and the ideas and theories about that subject. Well boys and girls, this has been a set back for everyone that has read this thread. Before you blast me over stating that little nugget, go back and read how many people posted that they wouldn't even talk about a sighting after this debacle. That's not counting all those "views" people that likely feel the same way.

Is this the direction you members want ATS to take? Do you want to suppress the number of reports here? Do you want to muzzle people? How about you folks in Admin?

How about the MOD that rushed to do the labeling? Why don't you come out here, on this thread where it took place, and tell the rest of us just how you did your part? Trust me, if this is off topic, being as it is the scene of the crime, then I'm talking to the wall.

This is NOT something to be brushed aside with a simple "Oops" explanation. This goes to the core of this site. DENY IGNORANCE. Well if bashers get a free ride to drive people from this site by a thuggish attitude that is not seeking information but is just belittling anybody in their path, and if Mods can act like they are in the same camp, then ignorance is NOT being denied.

Take me to task if you will, but when the exchange of information becomes the suppression of information, based on who can scream the bashing mantra the loudest, then this place is no better than all those other biased websites.

Hand me a warning if you feel inclined, but you are a moral coward if you fail to do the exact same thing to those people that are driving others from ATS.

And the sad thing is that I too think this is a hoax. But I refuse to stand quietly by on that grounds and see this place lower itself to level of some sites I won't mention in mixed company.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Thanks NGC, I agree with every word in your post. And MODS, if you give NGC a warning, I fully expect you will give one to me as well, since I agree with NGC. If you don't, it wouldn't be fair. I, too, have experienced not getting a response to my questions/complaints several times. In fact, I've never had a response when I use the Complaint button.

Further how come the MODs didn't do anything to stop the insulting?

Now, can the mod who posted "hoax" please identify and explain him/herself?
Thank you, Forestlady

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Boockelbee

That is exactly the point that I made on at least two posts in this thread, but no one seems to listen, at least not until I seen your post.

When you involve a child in a story then people think that they will be less likely to doubt their story or call them out for the hoax that it was.
Me on the other hand, has seen this "tactic" a few times on message boards and I'm not afraid to call it like i see it.
People also tend to think that if there is a child involved in the story then it might increase their credibility, thinking that people would say that, theres no way this guy would drag a child into their lies and deception.
Then while people are to busy feeling sorry for the child, they may let key elements or inconsistencies in the story slide by.
My X-Wife used this tactic on several occasions in and out of custody court, luckily the judge, who was a woman herself, saw right through it

The child was also a good scapegoat when people started questioning the drawing or other inconsistencies in the story, he could just blame it on the "kid"

Oh and lets not forget about the dog that he through in there to gain the support of the animal lovers.
This guy obviously had some instructions on how to attempt to pull a prank, unfortunately for him though he just wasnt a good enough liar and was unable to put the story together properly enough to be convincing

Oh, one more thing. Is it just me or did this thread get just a little bit more tolerable since putting BO XIAN on ignore

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm sorry to be a little self serving right now, but i've said that (about how the child factor might be pulling strings) a few times and got no response at all...

Hmmm. I just think sometimes 'what's the point?'

But - such is life...At least I tried...

[edit on 21-8-2007 by more_serotonin_pls]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
i have found this thread hard to believe from the start

even the professionals have had a hard time here
the whole thing ended up being a slagging war

the debunkers are sure it is a hoax and made sure everybody knew about it, but it has not been proved 100% that it is a hoax

i can understand people getting annoyed with hoaxs but surely there is rules about being rude to people just because "you" have decided it is a hoax and the other people dont

for years i have hoped to see a U.F.O and i would like to tell the world about it but to be honest, i dont know if this would be a place to do it.

and i am sure there is a lot of people who are thinking the same way.

debunking is one thing, rudness is another

but it does not matter anymore
because i dont think the op will be back

bring on the next victim please

edit to say:
spot on NGC2736
you had posted as i was trying to find the right words for my post
you got my vote
well said

[edit on 21-8-2007 by spliffy]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Unfortunately, what starts off as an attempt to question develops into an argument between the 'believers' and debunkers.

I place myself in the believer camp, but if something doesn't fit, I'll admit it.

This has just gone beyond and turned into a brawl, in a manner of speaking...

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Sorry but I had thought the mod in question was known around here, well if not then ill post it here.. at least this is who I believe it to be.. if im wrong then I apologize to "thebandit795" and the mods.

Like i said, this is who I believed it was and I wasnt aware that it was a secret (if it is).. the mods name is TheBandit795

more_seretonin_plz

I'm sorry to be a little self serving right now, but i've said that (about how the child factor might be pulling strings) a few times and got no response at all...

I guess I missed you saying it to, sorry about that. Since I missed it and since I am guessing that you missed my post about it then..
I guess it is possible that we werent ignored, maybe our statements just got lost in all of the "words" that were flying back and forth lol..

[edit on 8/21/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boockelbee
So you saying that he is all familiar with shields etc etc etc...and not with flying saucers......?
He Never heard of flying saucers while he knows everything about shields appeerantly..

Drag in a kid to your(fake)story and expect everyone to trust you, is that it?????

i know when i was a child, i had little plastic men and some of them had shields. i would safely say, every little boy knows about shields and swords.

dragging a child into a hoax is very sad indeed, we just need to find out if it is a hoax

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
NGC,

There are some points you've made that I firmly agree with and then there are others I do not agree with. But I'd also like to point out that the hyperbole of your post - along with the hyperbole of others through-out this thread - doesn't help in either direction. Many people have declared the death of ATS at certain points they were in violent disagreement on; events ranging from April Fools jokes the admin have played, to how people such as Bill Ryan were treated.

Each of those people's proclamation of the death of ATS were wrong - so get ready for your membership card to that club.

You being a new member of ATS I have feeling you have come into the ATS of today and assumed it is a finalized large and active board with mapped processes and procedures on how to handle any and all situations. That is untrue. ATS is a maturing website that has grown phenomenally fast and is trying to construct its policies "on-the-fly" to keep up. Each "lesson learned" allows the admin to construct another "official policy" on how a particular situation will be handled. Such will be the case on this lesson learned and I have no doubt that if a written policy on what must be involved before a thread is labeled a hoax has not already been published to the staff - it is forthcoming in short order.

Your call for some particular mod to step forward means nothing. If the admin (and the mod in question) decide to learn from the mistakes in this thread and formalize a better manner in which to handle these situations, then what caused the issues that have you (overly) irritated at this point will have been rectified and there is no reason to give you the chance to further vent your spleen at some one who appears to have done no more than make a humanly mistake of judgment.

But on top of that I am sensing something that has occurred in the membership of ATS lately that may have been fueled by the increasing number of hoaxers who have wasted people's time and diverted attention from topics that could be of great value to the membership...or worse yet to have tainted topics that are indeed of great value to the membership. Right now I sense a severe point of "half passed give a $h!t" in the membership which has led to a "rush to judgement" by some.

Maybe we all need to take a breath and shake the errors that are inherent to being human off in the path we just left behind us, pick up our walking sticks and commit to forging ahead on the common path to "doing better".

Let's spend about 5% of our time belly-aching about what we did wrong, and the other 95% on mapping the improved course, so that we can avoid the situations that cause us concerns.

Above all...just chill out. You're not helping the situation any.

[edit on 8-21-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Let's be honest - when irate words are flying, it tends to be the sensible and calming words that lost in the mix...I hope people will learn from this one and try to work as one - clrying to 'cleary on two sides - without resorting to bitching and to 'out-intellectualise' one another. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I don't think we can go much further with this one?

Anyone disagree?

peace dudes and dudettes

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

Many of us who did not issue personal attacks were personally attacked. Many of us questioned the evidence, the story and the photo. It is possible to question a story's veracity without questioning the storyteller. And it is certainly okay to question the storyteller after having done such. There is nothing wrong with asking questions. Asking questions is the way to make things known, not unknown. If others choose to overlook or disregard inconsistencies that is their concern, and those who would like more information will be concerned with asking questions in order to get it. No one is wrong in either case. However, if one feels so strongly about the motives of another then one should ask questions first and not issue personal attacks at all.

Those who are not therapists can question the actions of therapists, just as a therapist can question the actions of those who are not therapists, or that therapist's patients. It is known that therapists disagree with one another, have differences of opinion and interpretation of cases, and different understanding of the human mind and human behavior. New schools of thought and discipline can be created around those differences. Because of those differences the treatment of patients is predictably different. Many of us here at ATS may not be therapists, but many of us have in fact studied different schools of thought as relates to human behavior and psychology, and so if a therapist decides to direct someone to ATS for advice and opinion then it is perfectly alright for members here to offer it regardless of their level of understanding of human behavior and psychology. This is obviously not a forum for professional psychological or psychiatric opinion and assistance.

Another point is that there is nothing wrong with members forming an opinion about the current available evidence to any case. It's not necessary for someone to have to wait 24 hours or more or less than 24 hours to form an opinion. Members can form an opinion in the first few seconds of encountering evidence if they are inclined to make the determination that they have considered, as far as they are concerned, all that is necessary to be considered. And if that is done it does not mean that those members are not willing to consider more evidence if presented at a later time. Members here change their minds and opinions all of the time, and so all of this badgering about whose debunking, assuming, and drawing quick conclusions is beside the matter, and is a personal matter for those who are making the accusations.

Again, just because questions are asked does not mean that the motivation and intention about asking those questions is to dispel a myth. It only means that if someone is confident enough to present their story here then at the least they are expecting to have have their story considered to be believed. Because of that it is not unreasonable for those who are not credulous to get passed the heart and down to the bone of the matter in order to form what they consider to be a reasonable opinion, or to conclude that reason does not apply but persistence of faith does. Those who are deeply skeptical understand this and are not afraid of unpredictable outcomes. Those who are deeply skeptical do not seek to avoid undesirable outcomes unless they are debunkers. Not every skeptic is a debunker. And many skeptics have worked long and hard to acquire deeply held beliefs.

One does not have recourse to argument because he or she does not like the conclusion drawn by another. It is, on all sides of a given issue, the actions of those who wish to divide and issue blanket statements, accusations and personal attacks under the guise of passion that are the debilitating force around here, and not those of us who work to get to the core of the matter.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliffy
i

i can understand people getting annoyed with hoaxs but surely there is rules about being rude to people just because "you" have decided it is a hoax and the other people dont

for years i have hoped to see a U.F.O and i would like to tell the world about it but to be honest, i dont know if this would be a place to do it.

and i am sure there is a lot of people who are thinking the same way.

debunking is one thing, rudness is another

Well there is a topic about this that some people in this thread need to visit:

Courtesy Is Mandatory

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Valhall, I have to say that I am disappointed in your response to NGC. He obviously was upset, as was I, at the rudeness and attacking of some members. That shouldn't be tolerated by anyone, anywhere at any time. Ad hominem attacks are against T&C of ATS. Period, end of story. WHERE WERE THE MODS to warn the people who were administering ad hominem attacks? That's the mods job. Instead, we, the rank and file folks at ATS had to do the policing ourselves and then got attacked by the same members who needed to be warned. That's probably why NGC got to that point of frustration. That and having his complaint BEING IGNORED so long.
I find your attitude to be judgmental and not very respectful, and the fact that you didn't help out with this situation when it became so heated doesn't make you look good.
Who are you to judge someone else's feelings, like you did with NGC? To him, his feelings were absolutely valid. I don't find your post to be very helpful at all.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

While you may have seen hyperbole, I saw truth. It's just viewpoint.

And I retract my call for the responsible(?) mod to step forward. I personally have a sense of honor that requires me to take responsibility for my actions. (And I know that can be easily doubted, but maybe U2U Lexion on how I behave when I'm wrong.) Just saying, I called for it, and now retract that because I can see it serving no constructive purpose.

I speak from the heart. What can I say? I would not change, even if I could.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

I echo your view. While I have admitted that some parts of this story don't add up, I think EVERYONE should be treated with respect. I would never treat anyone in such a way as some people have treated TLH - even if I think is blagging..

Grow up. Seriously. GROW UP. DO NOT ENTER INTO IT. And yes I am SHOUTING. Someone's got to.

I love this site. I love this forum.

I HATE the way some people conduct themselves.

end of rant.

peace.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Sorry for the one liner...ish

Hyberbole?

Hyperboleks..........

Sorry - couldn't help it! Hope I'm not banned, but his is getting silly...

Sooner or later someone is gonna accuse someone of semianthromoporphising the EBE's.....getting my drift?

Chill......

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

Area 51, you do make some good points. But I think you missed my point. It is the lack of courtesy that I object to. I don't really care whether someone is a debunker or not, it doesn't give them an excuse to be rude and attacking to other members.

As for your comments about therapists, I think you also missed my point. What I'm saying is that Bo's comments received some personal attacks, and some here questioned his expertise as a psych in a way that was personally insulting.
The problem here is that there are lots of armchair psychologists here, who absolutely refuse to respect or believe what a psych tells them, from their own experiences. Instead of just leaving it alone, people attack the psych. I've seen this so many times and had it done to me. There is something about our profession that some people love to attack us, debunk us and ridicule us and/or our profession. I'm starting to see the same thing with scientists and people knowledgeable in the field of science.
When you work therapeutically with people for years, you learn skills and insights that most people don't have because they haven't done that kind of work.

Area 51 wrote:
"and so if a therapist decides to direct someone to ATS for advice and opinion then it is perfectly alright for members here to offer it regardless of their level of understanding of human behavior and psychology".

I agree that it's perfectly alright for people to ask questions of therapists on here. My point is that it's NOT OK to treat us or anyone else with disrespect and abuse. Ask questions, but don't attack us if you don't like the response. Do you really think that all of the exchanges on this thread have been respectful?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donoso
I read the OP and I am very inclined to post now. After reading the comment with the goofy CGI sarcasm, I had to check the picture for any true faults. I don't have the time to read the rest of the comments, but, this is a hoax. It's an undeniable & terrible hoax. The image has sharp pixels and perfectly square sections. Then there's the whole aspect of, that's not drawn by a kid but by an imitator.

Why would you ever attempt to hoax something like this, especially if you're going to suck so bad at it?

Here's what OP should have done:

1. Find a kid to draw a silly picture of a UFO + Alien.

2. Take a photo of the picture.

3. Scan the drawn picture.

4. Post both pictures + kid's story.

5. Leave out bogus dog story.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join