It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Challenge For Non-Believers Of Christianity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'm a catholic. I am aware though, that the bible is largly a historic text. The most complete account of the human experiance in existance. It has many variations, though the message is not the same and would not be so even if they were the same text, word for word. It is worth what you can learn from it. Not what can be taught from it (doctrine of accepted interpretation). It is not for everyone, always. I dont think that it is wrong to dissagree with it. That is another part of it, if its relevant to you than good for you. If you can make it relevant to others, great for them. For those that do not agree, it is the way of life that they choose that keeps them from its secrets.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
There is much confusion surrounding the idea of rebirth so please allow me to clear it.
When you speak of your soul, you think of this living being inside of your body. You believe you have a body and a soul that are temporarily intersected at a point in time, and then they separate.

You are the soul my friend, but according to Jesus, you are dead. Therefore you follow what your body tells you to follow. And you make decisions based on the results of your past decisions and what your emotions are telling you in the moment.
Using this system you try to fulfill what the body, essentially the animal, desires.

For those who believe in Jesus it is different.
We are not controlled by thoughts alone. Rather we wrestle our thoughts and our desires to submit them to our spirit, which we submit to Jesus.
We are born just like you. Our soul is created, but dead by the bodies stranglehold. In order to break out of this we need to have our souls brought to their intended state. A spiritual rebirth, if you will.

When we heard of the death and resurrection of Jesus, something briefly changed in our spirit. We became aware for the first time of our true selves, and our bodies stranglehold.
I made the decision to ask for a reborn soul from Jesus. When I asked Him to change me, he repaired the damage my body had done. Nothing else in this world can or will do that. You can look everywhere else in this world and eventually grasp that you are still dead and have no real purpose.
You can try everything and still only end up a hollow shell. A slave to your own thoughts.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Amen,
Very well said!!!

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 12-8-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickleye
There is much confusion surrounding the idea of rebirth so please allow me to clear it.
When you speak of your soul, you think of this living being inside of your body. You believe you have a body and a soul that are temporarily intersected at a point in time, and then they separate.

You are the soul my friend, but according to Jesus, you are dead. Therefore you follow what your body tells you to follow. And you make decisions based on the results of your past decisions and what your emotions are telling you in the moment.
Using this system you try to fulfill what the body, essentially the animal, desires.

We are not controlled by thoughts alone. Rather we wrestle our thoughts and our desires to submit them to our spirit, which we submit to Jesus.
We are born just like you. Our soul is created, but dead by the bodies stranglehold. In order to break out of this we need to have our souls brought to their intended state. A spiritual rebirth, if you will.

When we heard of the death and resurrection of Jesus, something briefly changed in our spirit. We became aware for the first time of our true selves, and our bodies stranglehold.
I made the decision to ask for a reborn soul from Jesus. When I asked Him to change me, he repaired the damage my body had done. Nothing else in this world can or will do that. You can look everywhere else in this world and eventually grasp that you are still dead and have no real purpose.
You can try everything and still only end up a hollow shell. A slave to your own thoughts.

Actually, What you describe is nothing more than a specific induced Amnesia. Amnesia has the same effect on people. Usually people who have a conflict within will exhibit all sorts of maladies, both psychological and physical. And although Amnesia solves all of these issues, they can return when people regain their memory, but sometimes don't. Obviously, therapy, and "spritual awakenings" also provide similar experiences.

Lately, many tests have found, interestingly enough, that psychadelic experiences, when performed under the supervision of a medical doctor, can often have very quick and long lasting effects like the ones you described.

The interesting thing to note... those with more of a religious understanding of some sort, it didn't matter which kind, were more likely to benefit inthat way. Supposedly because there was a context for the experience to be interpreted through in the minds of those with a religous background.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by janasstar

Obviously then, you didn't have the re-birth that Jesus is speaking of. That's the one that Christians believe you need to enter Heaven. And that's who the question was directed at. Most times, people are not aware of Jesus at birth, and whether they are or not, the Lord said that we must be born again. Which is a spiritual re-birth. Which comes from believing that Jesus is the Son of God (Lord). Then 1st, you believe it in your heart, then confess it with your mouth. Then you shall be saved. It's a free gift.

But don't you know that somepeople don't want, or even need that gift?

I was answering a question that was directed at a Christian. Since I believe myself to be one, I answered it, and I don't see answering a question as trying to push something on somebody. Lighten up!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
lol. This entire thread is egotistical, capricious, and presumptious on such a level it should be classes with thgose "icke" followers.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Obviously then, you didn't have the re-birth that Jesus is speaking of. That's the one that Christians believe you need to enter Heaven. And that's who the question was directed at. Most times, people are not aware of Jesus at birth, and whether they are or not, the Lord said that we must be born again. Which is a spiritual re-birth. Which comes from believing that Jesus is the Son of God (Lord). Then 1st, you believe it in your heart, then confess it with your mouth. Then you shall be saved. It's a free gift.

But don't you know that somepeople don't want, or even need that gift?

I was answering a question that was directed at a Christian. Since I believe myself to be one, I answered it, and I don't see answering a question as trying to push something on somebody. Lighten up!!!

I'm sorry, after re-reading your original post, I still think this warranted the reply I gave it.

originally posted by janasstar

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Actually, What you describe is nothing more than a specific induced Amnesia. Amnesia has the same effect on people. Usually people who have a conflict within will exhibit all sorts of maladies, both psychological and physical. And although Amnesia solves all of these issues, they can return when people regain their memory, but sometimes don't. Obviously, therapy, and "spritual awakenings" also provide similar experiences.

Lately, many tests have found, interestingly enough, that psychadelic experiences, when performed under the supervision of a medical doctor, can often have very quick and long lasting effects like the ones you described.

The interesting thing to note... those with more of a religious understanding of some sort, it didn't matter which kind, were more likely to benefit inthat way. Supposedly because there was a context for the experience to be interpreted through in the minds of those with a religous background.

I found this explanation of the re-birth to be very much like my own. and I have never taken mind-altering drugs or experienced amnesia. Quazga, you claim to be a Christian, but almost everything you say, defies this fact. You confuse me to the point of pulling my hair out. I understand the atheists and agnostics, much more clearly than I do you. Don't mean to be critical, just being honest. But in any case, evry time I turn around, you're all over my back.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   

TextOK so sickle, are you calling me just an empty shell for not accepting jesus? I am very much alive and iam not a slave to my own thoughts and as far as I am concerned I have purpose. Your the kind of person I think of when people say Christians despise atheists

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I found this explanation of the re-birth to be very much like my own. and I have never taken mind-altering drugs or experienced amnesia. Quazga, you claim to be a Christian, but almost everything you say, defies this fact. You confuse me to the point of pulling my hair out. I understand the atheists and agnostics, much more clearly than I do you. Don't mean to be critical, just being honest. But in any case, evry time I turn around, you're all over my back.

First off, please note that this post wasn't directed at you, so I can hardly be all over your back.

Second, I never said that sickleeye had amnesia or had taken mind altering drugs. Nor did I mention that I thought you had.

I only said that the experience of "spiritual awakening" and the side effects of it are a natural phenomena that can occur from many different methods, and are called many different things, including "re-birth". They are not unique to the Christian Experience.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I completely disagree. This is the fundamental problem with the Christian doctrine, the belief that submitting to Jesus is the only way. Did Jesus even teach this? Is this not a trick of the church used to convert people, the threat of no salvation?

It's a lie, it has to be. If you could only know the beauty and invigoration that I've personally experienced from bringing God into my life through simple meditation. I've checked out the Bible, and I've been to church. Frankly though, those experiences can not even compare to how I feel when I connect with God through meditation, on a daily basis.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I can't help but wonder what the results would be, if the non-believers, agnostics and atheists would take a certain amount of time (the amount will be up to the individual), and wipe all the hate from their hearts, or as much as is possible. Forget about every Christian or so-called christian they ever met, steer clear of the Old-Testament, and look at the Bible in a new light. Instead of studying it to use it as a weapon, just read it. By saying to stay out of the Old Testament, I am not saying that Jesus did away with the Old Law. He said that He came to fulfill it with a new Law. The law of love. Don't get hung-up on that statement either.
Will you take the challenge?

I have already taken your challenge - For over 30 years practically.
You can read about my thoughts etc. on my ATS blog (link below) - and/or supplement it with my blog at wordpress that you can link to from my ATS blog. (as ATS has blog issues, no one can currently blog there...)

I challenge you to take the N.T. then go into the O.T. - most Christians are scared of it as they cant reconcile it with the N.T. message.
Then explore the beliefs of Charismatics, Baptist, Presbyterians...read learn from the top guys from each category, although with charismatics its tricky...and dont go to far, as more will be explained in a later assignment which uncovers a lot of their misunderstandings of there teachings.

After you do that explore Catholicism from more 'Christian kosher roots' as Thomas Merton (the guy that the beloved singer John MIchael Talbot uses as a source for some of his songs) - and Henri Nowen, a guy that is respected even amongst non-catholics.

Then you may want to explore Orthodox Christianity, if anything at least read the treatise 'the river of fire' which I have experts on my blog. Get it to help you think about things.

Try out Jews for Jesus, maybe for a short term, or merely as a supplement, but then go into Judaism (orthodox) and check out works from some of the sources linked on my blog such as Rabbi Tzadok (Orthodox rabbi at koshertorah.com)
His writings will give you a deep insight into clearing up a lot of the charismatic teachings and help add to the putting the puzzle together.

All the while, the truth is, I withdraw my challenge.
Ah, why is this? As it wont work. Why? Because it has to be your choice, not out of some challenge...it has to be a desire that is awakened within you where you 'seek' with all your heart' - and - 'when you seek with 'all your heart' then you will find.

This path may or may not take you deeper into a truth your heart is familiar with but you have yet to uncover.

But for the fun of it, I would say, top off all this with studying Eckhart Tolle - start with power of now, maybe silence speaks, which is basically the same 'pointers' - and then with a bit of a twist, a new earth.

I highly recommend audio book for the latter (and for even the rabbi, if you want to spend money, though most of his 'older stuff' is now gone and being replaced so you may find more value going though his free pdf library...could get confusing but look for terms such as 'bereshit' etc. which has to do with creation...this may be of particular interest.) -spoiler-
see in Judaism Creation is not taken literal, it is taken in 4 levels of understanding, P.R.D.S.. And seeing that Christians will typically blow this off as they are the guardians of all knowledge (yet they cannot piece together the 'inconsistencies' they are faced with) it may or may not be of use...you will have to have an open mind and not blindly follow what church leaders of today tell you. (Paul said you need no teacher the spirit is in you, but oh, how we like to cling to a shepherd...human one that is).

So there you have it...one suggestion out of many Im sure...but again, the journey has to be and truly only is...yours to make.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 12-8-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

I can't help

I have already taken your challenge - For over 30 years practically.
You can read about my thoughts etc. on my ATS blog (link below) - and/or supplement it with my blog at wordpress that you can link to from my ATS blog. (as ATS has blog issues, no one can currently blog there...)

I challenge you to take the N.T. then go into the O.T. - most Christians are scared of it as they cant reconcile it with the N.T. message.
Then explore the beliefs of Charismatics, Baptist, Presbyterians...read learn from the top guys from each category, although with charismatics its tricky...and dont go to far, as more will be explained in a later assignment which uncovers a lot of their misunderstandings of there teachings.

After you do that explore Catholicism from more 'Christian kosher roots' as Thomas Merton (the guy that the beloved singer John MIchael Talbot uses as a source for some of his songs) - and Henri Nowen, a guy that is respected even amongst non-catholics.

Then you may want to explore Orthodox Christianity, if anything at least read the treatise 'the river of fire' which I have experts on my blog. Get it to help you think about things.

Try out Jews for Jesus, maybe for a short term, or merely as a supplement, but then go into Judaism (orthodox) and check out works from some of the sources linked on my blog such as Rabbi Tzadok (Orthodox rabbi at koshertorah.com)
His writings will give you a deep insight into clearing up a lot of the charismatic teachings and help add to the putting the puzzle together.

All the while, the truth is, I withdraw my challenge.
Ah, why is this? As it wont work. Why? Because it has to be your choice, not out of some challenge...it has to be a desire that is awakened within you where you 'seek' with all your heart' - and - 'when you seek with 'all your heart' then you will find."

I guess I will have to say this again. It was not my intention that the old testament was to be permanently disregarded. Just during the experiment. And NO, I am not afraid of the old testament, because I understand what Jesus meant when He said, "I have not come to do away with the law, but to fulfill it."

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Well im screwed then......i think i might follow buddhism, at least its a known fact that buddah WAS a real person and there are different levels of worship for buddah to

AHHH. but which Buddha do you speak of?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana

Jesus' answer to that was, "ye must be born again to enter Heaven." What does that mean, you might ask? Believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord. John 3:16

When someone is born are they aware of Jesus? No. This implies that Jesus is not necessary for a rebirth. In fact, I have even experienced this rebirth you speak of, and it had nothing to do with Jesus at all. No, it all came from within.

[edit on 11-8-2007 by Vipassana]

In order to be "reborn" you must surrender yourself to god. complete submission. Its called renunciation and you must give up all ties to the material world. Jesus taught his disciples this .

[edit on 12-8-2007 by plague]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
I'm a catholic. I am aware though, that the bible is largly a historic text. The most complete account of the human experiance in existance. It has many variations, though the message is not the same and would not be so even if they were the same text, word for word. It is worth what you can learn from it. Not what can be taught from it (doctrine of accepted interpretation). It is not for everyone, always. I dont think that it is wrong to dissagree with it. That is another part of it, if its relevant to you than good for you. If you can make it relevant to others, great for them. For those that do not agree, it is the way of life that they choose that keeps them from its secrets.

Until you have read some Vedic literature you can not truthfully state that the bible is the most complete account.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I completely disagree. This is the fundamental problem with the Christian doctrine, the belief that submitting to Jesus is the only way. Did Jesus even teach this? Is this not a trick of the church used to convert people, the threat of no salvation?

It's a lie, it has to be. If you could only know the beauty and invigoration that I've personally experienced from bringing God into my life through simple meditation. I've checked out the Bible, and I've been to church. Frankly though, those experiences can not even compare to how I feel when I connect with God through meditation, on a daily basis.

Jesus taught according to time, circumstance and intelligence of his intended audience. His intended audience were the Jews. He even told his Apostles to only teach the Jews, but he also said that the gentiles would join the father in heaven. But the Jews at that time were weak and easily swayed , and could not even keep gods commandments. So Jesus told them I am the way ... if they had another option do you think they would still follow Jesus? He had to teach them on there level. Think about it like this... In elementary school you learn in mathmatics that a large number can not be subtracted from a smaller number, but then later on in your schooling at a higher intelligence level you learn about negetive numbers.
The same holds true for Jesus's teachings.

But no Jesus is not the only way. God sends many avatars and acyras to teach about his love. Each one of these teachers teach according to time and circumstance. But if one is in search of the true knowledge of the soul he need look no further then the Vedic text. the Bhavagad Gita. Written over 5,000 bc. Where the supreme personality (the original personaliy) of godhead taught the science of the soul to his most confident
devotee. If you have already figured out that you can speak to the supersoul inside you through meditation then you are ahead of the game and you will find the Gita most interesting and enlightening.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by plague]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by plague

Jesus taught according to time, circumstance and intelligence of his intended audience. His intended audience were the Jews. He even told his Apostles to only teach the Jews, but he also said that the gentiles would join the father in heaven. But the Jews at that time were weak and easily swayed , and could not even keep gods commandments. So Jesus told them I am the way ... if they had another option do you think they would still follow Jesus? He had to teach them on his level. Think about it like this... In elementary school you learn in mathmatics that a large number can not be subtracted from a smaller number, but then later on in your schooling at a higher intelligence level you learn about negetive numbers.
The same holds true for Jesus's teachings.

But no Jesus is not the only way. God sends many avatars and acyras to teach about his love. Each one of these teachers teach according to time and circumstance. But if one is in search of the true knowledge of the soul he need look no further then the Vedic text. the Bhavagad Gita. Written over 5,000 bc. Where the supreme personality (the original personaliy) of godhead taught the science of the soul to his most confident
devotee. If you have already figured out that you can speak to the supersoul inside you through meditation then you are ahead of the game and you will find the Gita most interesting and enlightening.

No Thank you, I'll stick with Jesus. I know in Whom, I have believed.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   

All the while, the truth is, I withdraw my challenge. Ah, why is this? As it wont work. Why? Because it has to be your choice, not out of some challenge...it has to be a desire that is awakened within you where you 'seek' with all your heart' - and - 'when you seek with 'all your heart' then you will find.

nicely said.

How is the god that so many believe in today any different from all the ones that have existed through out history? To me, i find god just as fanciful as zeus and his lightning bolts. Id like to add that i grew up in a catholic family, went to a catholic school till highschool and have never been able to comprehend how the god taught to me was any more real than any other god that has been thought up throughout history.

Do people really need a god to feel happy, warm, safe, and inner peace? If so thats fine, but why the intense need for conflict with those that dont. And yes, this thread is in its own way, is just another way to conflict with others. Dont lie to yourself either, when you meet someone and you find out they are atheist or maybe they like to pray to rocks and trees instead of god, you immediately change your whole view about that person and possibly discriminate against that person. My mother does it, ive worked with co-workers that have done it. Not all believers do it, but a large portion do.

I feel just fine with my buddhist/taoist views. By the way, id like to add that i did not intend to be a buddhist/toaist and to be honest this is the first time i think i have ever said that i was buddhist/taoist. i have always had certain views and beliefs about life and existance, even while in catholic school. it was serveral years out of highschool that i actually learned that my views fell into line with buddhism/taoism, it was pointed out to me by friends.

This will be my last religous thread. Life is to short to worry about such things in my opinion. If i get it wrong and god send me to hell...all the interesting people are in hell so at least i wont get bored.

Other things should be of higher priority, like the moon not being natural, the cia trying to steal all your info and use it against you, area51...spaceships...and the possibility of aliens living on uranus.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   

No Thank you, Ill stick with Jesus. I know in Whom, I have believed.

You can be with Jesus and still meditate by the way. I would highly recommend it in fact, you may be surprised at what you find if you truly commit to it. In fact you may find it brings you closer to Jesus!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join