It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Made up Illnesses to take your $$$$.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Forestlady,

it's not that they don't SEEM depressed....they are NOT depressed.

The ONLY time they are "depressed" is when they are having those various problems (as I stated, mostly money problems). Other than that they are very normal and happy people.

It's actually the exact opposite of what you said, they have moments of depression not moments of happiness.

Which is the case with almost EVERY "depressed" person I know. Like I also said, I have no doubt that there are SOME people out there that are VERY VERY physically depressed. I just don't feel that it's anywhere NEAR the widespread problem that the antidepressant prescriptions prescribed would indicate.

Therefore, NO i'm not saying depression is a made up illness. However, as far as it being as widescale an "epidemic" as it appears to be...yes THAT is made up. It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well this has been going on for quite some time now. All these prescription drugs companies and even the doctors are in this scam and have been for so long now. They have the power and people are so easily taken it saddens me. Most of the symptoms are in your head the mind is a powerful thing. All these so called diseases make me laugh and it makes me so sad people accually believe it. We as humans do not need all this medication and processed cra**. I am sorry but it does make me so angry about all of this stuff. I keep waiting for people to see the truth , but they never do. I guess if it makes you happy to always feel sick and depressed well so be it. Anyway if you end up going to a doctor they always prescribe something and it never fails that if you even mention a natural remedy tthe doctor will immediatetly dismiss it. It is so pathetic and it makes me mad and frustrated. Good topic OP and I am glad you can see the light, maybe some others will wake up and find out it is about power and money.

[edit on 10-8-2007 by paigcal]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I too have had every doctor I've ever mentioned a natural remedy dismiss it outright, just before he prescribed me some of his money makers.

Prime example:

I had reaccuring eye infections for YEARS. They were so vicious at times that I would literally blink blood tears in my dark room. The eye doctors I went too always prescribed the same allergy drops to knock out the infection. At 200 dollars approx. for 20 drops of this crap; it still took about a week for the infection to go away (the same length of time it took for them to naturally go away) and on top of that I found out that the drops they were prescribing me all those years caused glaucoma. YAY!

Anyhow, I mentioned to my doctor the last time I visited that I had heard colloidal silver was an amazing antibiotic. He actually laughed at me and said something along the lines of "well if you believe that crap I feel sorry for ya".

Needless to say, I did believe that crap and bought some instead of his 200 dollar bottle of eye drops.

I got home, put 3 drops into my eye and guess what? The redness and pain were gone with 2 hours. The sensitivity to light was gone when I woke up the next morning.

Since this time, I have kept my bottle of silver and used it everytime my eye starts to act up and have remained pain free ever since.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY,
jasn

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
Anyhow, I mentioned to my doctor the last time I visited that I had heard colloidal silver was an amazing antibiotic. He actually laughed at me and said something along the lines of "well if you believe that crap I feel sorry for ya".

Needless to say, I did believe that crap and bought some instead of his 200 dollar bottle of eye drops.

I got home, put 3 drops into my eye and guess what? The redness and pain were gone with 2 hours. The sensitivity to light was gone when I woke up the next morning.

Since this time, I have kept my bottle of silver and used it everytime my eye starts to act up and have remained pain free ever since.

Good for you!

I told my doctor that I was able to get off the antidepressants simply by cleaning up my diet and he said... "well you can't avoid ALL chemicals in the environment". I told him no but I know how to avoid the majority of them and it makes my depression practically nonexistent. He then dodged around it and stated that some people really need antidepressant medications and I told him, "not if they clean up their diet". He ended the discussion at that point. I think he realized it was not an argument he was going to win. I used to trust my doctor(s) but not anymore (I use plural because I relocate fairly often for my job and have to change doctors).

I've come to the conclusion that most western doctors are either not aware of the true medicinal effects of organic foods and herbs, or they are denying it in order to push the meds for their own profit.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Not only fake illnesses, but the preference for the development of "treatments" for illnesses, that bring in money long-term as opposed to cures which would bring in far less money.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm just waiting for the "Your limb falls asleep if you block the blood supply to it syndrome"

Or how about the, "You don't believe what they show on the news syndrome" bwhahaha..."

Maybe the "You just went to a funeral and feel sad syndrome"

I mean, come on. They have medication for heart burn. It all has to do with your diet. Eat spicy food, don't want to suffer the consequences? Okay, pay for this medication.

I agree, ADHD and all of that is made up. Only weak minded people who don't have a shred of personal responsibility fall for it. I worked with a guy with so called ADHD, and he took no medication. He told me that doctors diagnosed him with it, but he thought they were full of crap. He had a problem concentrating on one particular thing as perceived by normal people, but that was just because his mind took everything in faster than people without ADHD.. He finished his BS degree while working full time in about 2 years.

Sorry, but if you consider being "depressed" a medical disorder, then you are not facing life. Everyone gets depressed. Even if you think you are born with a "chemical imbalance", then... okay. It's fine. It's you. It's how you ended up. It's what you are, work with it. Don't run away from yourself to fit what OTHER PEOPLE want you to be. (By paying money that you worked time for, in other words, you are giving up a part of your life to be "normal"). Unless you think you are not worthy of living in the world without taking drugs that you pay for. The mind is powerful.

Or, you could accept that you are a sub-par human being on behalf of BigPharm, and PAY YOUR HARD EARNED CASH to be CONSIDERED NORMAL, TO FIT IN. TO BE WHAT SOCIETY WANTS YOU TO BE.

It's even worse when doctors prescribe anti-depressents to teenagers and high school kids. Who in high school isn't depressed? Who in high school knows what they want in life? Well, let's market on that and prescribe everyone medication that they have to pay for, so we can fill our pockets and convince them they are screwed up in the head. We'll even see more income later from them, as they have now been conditioned to think that they ARE screwed up!

It's sad:

People don't think that they are missing something in life, they just figure they have a disease. They don't go out to look for what they need to make their life fulfilling. Everyone is different, and everyone needs something different to make themselves feel whole, and feel complete.

Instead, they buy medication to cover up the hole; They pay to have their everyday problems covered up.

Like I said, weak minded. No dicipline. No Spirit.

The way I see it:

Most everyone grows up and ages with a gaping, black, deep void, an abyss that is inside of them that hinders their every move. At least I did. You need to find out what your causal conditioned self needs. You are the sum of all of your experiences and you must find out what YOU AS A CONDITIONED BEING need in order to fill that hole. The journey is what counts. The Journey to fill that hole will supply you with the confidence you need. Not medication. It does nothing but cover up the problem.

Medication is a cowards way out... YOU ARE NOT SELF-SUFFICIENT. BOTTOM LINE. YOU ARE NOT A COMPLETE PERSON UNTIL YOU CAN COME TO TERMS WITH YOURSELF. QUIT HIDING, AND FACE YOUR PROBLEMS HEAD ON.

I'm sorry for you if you don't agree, and if I have offended anyone, then I was addressing this at you.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by benign.psychosis
I'm sorry for you if you don't agree, and if I have offended anyone, then I was addressing this at you.

haha i found it funny how you said "at" and not "to". But seriously people have to stop being brainwashed by schools, doctors for example only know how to prescribe drugs, do CPR and surgery. My doctor only gives me drugs, he doesnt cure me (ive stopped taking prescription drugs). Thats because they read in textbooks, in medical school, what drugs to give out. Funny enough the manufacturers of those drugs are the ones who payed for the text books for the school.

Also has anyone heard of the consiracy surrounding sunscreen, how its a contributant to cancer (does not cause) as opposed to the sun.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by tankthinker
Also has anyone heard of the consiracy surrounding sunscreen, how its a contributant to cancer (does not cause) as opposed to the sun.

Yes. It's true. Here's an article about it:
The sunscreen myth: How sunscreen products actually promote cancer

The medical industry promotes illness by making sure that we don't get the proper sunlight we need for optimum health AND poisoning us with the very substance that's supposed to "protect" us.

It's such a disgusting scam that our government is pulling on us. I like to call it an advanced form of genocide. They purposely kill us with chemicals but not before they've sucked every penny out of our bank accounts.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I totally agree that Big Medicine intentionally makes you weak and sick to hook you on their drugs. These drugs totally mess you up. My uncle has severe ulcers and liver problems because of pain drugs. The name escapes me at the moment but it is the major one that everyone prescribes. When my cousin died his girlfriend was put on anti depressants and she was like a rock and had no emotion whatsoever. Totally out of character. I was also on wrongly on meds for about six months and i was a completely different person. I was more depressed, less hungry and felt bad for some time until i got off them.

Also i do believe natural cures are being suppressed. Does anyone remember a while back when the courts tried to force a kid to go on chemo against his will when he wanted to try natural therapy?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by benign.psychosis
Sorry, but if you consider being "depressed" a medical disorder, then you are not facing life. Everyone gets depressed. Even if you think you are born with a "chemical imbalance", then... okay. It's fine. It's you. It's how you ended up. It's what you are, work with it. Don't run away from yourself to fit what OTHER PEOPLE want you to be. (By paying money that you worked time for, in other words, you are giving up a part of your life to be "normal"). Unless you think you are not worthy of living in the world without taking drugs that you pay for. The mind is powerful.

One thing that needs to be understood is that the chemicals in the food, water and products we use everyday actually cause depression. So people who have depression do not have to consider it the "cards they were dealt". All they have to do is eat clean chemical-free organic food and use clean chemical-free organic products.

I got off of antidepressants after 6 years and my depression was very serious. Cleaning up my diet completely eliminated my depression. Occasionally I do consume something with chemicals because I'm not the only food shopper and cook in my household, and then my depression returns (slightly) but I can alleviate the symptoms with St. John's Wort, which is an herbal alternative to antidepressants and it works beautifully.

The medical industry makes us "think" that depression is some illness that is not under our control but they are actually working hand-in-hand with the food industry to ensure that we ARE sick so that we will be forced to take their prescription medications and make them richer while making us sicker, which makes them richer (yes it's a vicious circle).

All you have to do is refuse to play their nasty genocidal game.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Made up diseases? I don't think so. I believe these diseases have always been around. Many have only recently been identified and named. You think "Restless Leg Syndrome" is a joke? Well my Father had "Restless Leg Syndrome" 40 years ago. It wasn't called that, but that's exactly what it was.

I have Fibromyalgia. Because there wasn't and still isn't any diagnostic test to validate its existence, only 20 years ago it was still thought to be a psychological disorder just like Menopause was.

Descriptions of Fibromyalgia have existed for hundreds of years but because it is primarily a women's illness, doctors dismissed it. Only in recent years as more and more women entered the medical profession, has it finally been recognized.

I do agree that the marketing of countless new drugs designed exclusively for every existing ailment now known to man, is ridiculous. What happened to the old fashioned concept of cure all remedies?

Of course the natural medicines used by non -western cultures for 1000's of years do posses "multi tasking" healing elements. In contrast, modern medicine if it works at all , leaves you with an onslaught of undesirable side effects. What's the point?

Mainstream Western medicine has become an industry of profit not healing. People need to wake up to the facts and look back to simpler times for answers to their basic health needs.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
There's much to say about the current trends of medicine, throwing medications at people to treat illnesses when the root cause of those illnesses is not addressed.

In a previous post, I included a website that advised of the dangers lurking in your tap water, which is a valid concern. There are alternatives to tap water, such as filters and alkaline water. Here is a link that is very informative, whereas the role of dehydration is attributed to chronic disease.

www.watercure.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
Forestlady,

it's not that they don't SEEM depressed....they are NOT depressed.

The ONLY time they are "depressed" is when they are having those various problems (as I stated, mostly money problems). Other than that they are very normal and happy people.

It's actually the exact opposite of what you said, they have moments of depression not moments of happiness.

Which is the case with almost EVERY "depressed" person I know. Like I also said, I have no doubt that there are SOME people out there that are VERY VERY physically depressed. I just don't feel that it's anywhere NEAR the widespread problem that the antidepressant prescriptions prescribed would indicate.

Jasn

It really irks me when I see uninformed twaddle like this.
The WHO states that more than 1 in 4 people suffer from a psychiatric illness at some point in their life and here's what they say about depression:

Myths and Misconceptions about Depression

In spite of depression being a common illness, many myths and misconceptions are associated with it. Partly, the stigma attached to mental disorders, including depression, is responsible for some of these misconceptions. Such a stigma prejudices the public against people with depression. Attitudes like ’they are unpredictable; they talk and express ideas in a weird manner; they are themselves to blame; they will not recover or improve even if treated’, are still widely prevalent. Also, there is inadequate understanding among general practitioners and primary health care physicians regarding appropriate diagnosis and treatment of depression. For these reasons, a large number of persons suffering from depression do not seek help for treatment.

Myth: Depression is a problem of the western industrialized world and not of developing countries.

Fact: Depression affects all people in all cultures across the world. However, in some countries ‘sadness’, particularly in old age, is considered ‘normal’ and not a disease to be treated by a doctor.

Myth: Depression is due to the influence of witchcraft, magic or sorcery.

Fact: Depression is like any other medical illness. It is caused by the interaction of biological and environmental influences, and manifests in psychological and physical symptoms.

Myth: Even if depression is an illness, what can we do about it? We cannot treat it the way other diseases can be treated.

Fact: Depression is a treatable disorder. There are many drugs available even in developing countries which are effective and affordable.

Myth: Spending scarce resources for treating depression is wasteful expenditure when there are so many other communicable and noncommunicable diseases needing attention and which are still not under control in developing countries.

Fact: Depression causes considerable suffering among patients worldwide. The burden caused by psychiatric disorders has been underestimated in the past. At present, out of the 10 leading causes of suffering worldwide, five are psychiatric conditions, including depression. By 2020, depression will become the second largest cause of suffering -- next only to heart disease.

Myth: There are not enough, and there never will be enough trained psychiatrists in developing countries to look after all the cases of depression. The situation is hopeless and will never improve.

Fact: The number of psychiatrists is gradually increasing in the developing countries. Moreover, all cases of depression do not have to be treated by psychiatrists. General practitioners and primary health care physicians can satisfactorily treat this illness with some training.

Myth: Depression is one’s own creation.

Fact: This is completely false. The sufferers cannot be blamed for the illness.

Myth: Today’s competitive world predisposes a person to depression.

Fact: Yes, the world today is very competitive. This may lead to some anxiety and business loss can lead to a person being temporarily sad. However, a person should be able to handle such situations in daily life.

Myth: If a person is depressed, there has to be an external factor bothering him.

Fact: External factors are not always necessary to make a person depressed. It is now known that chemical changes in the brain can lead to depression without any external precipitating factor.

Myth: Once depressed, a person remains depressed throughout his/her life.

Fact: In most cases, depression lasts for a limited period. Adequate treatment leads to complete resolution of the symptoms and the person can return to a normal state of activity and health.

Myth: There is no need to go to a medical doctor for treatment. One can cure depression by will power, a holiday, or at times by taking a peg or two of alcohol to lift one’s spirits.

Fact: Many communities continue to believe in such home remedies. Will power cannot cure depression. A depressed person experiencing lack of pleasure in his surroundings will not enjoy his holidays either. Alcohol may worsen the depression. Depression should be treated with prescribed medicines and social support of the family and community.

Myth: Drugs used for treating depressions are addictive.

Fact: Drugs used for treating depression are not addictive or habit forming. When depression is in remission, the drugs can be slowly tapered off and stopped.

Myth: When a depressed person expresses suicidal ideas, he does not mean to act upon them.

Fact: Suicide is a major risk during the course of depression. The individual usually gives an indication of his suicidal intention before attempting suicide and this must be taken very seriously.

Myth: If an individual is suspected to be harbouring suicidal ideas, one should not talk about depression, death or suicide.

Fact: If the discussion about suicide is done sympathetically and tactfully, it gives an opportunity to the individual to express his/her ideas and feelings clearly and to receive appropriate care. In most cases, this prevents suicide.

Myth: A depressed person should be in a sheltered, protected environment for the rest of his/her life.

Fact: Once treated successfully, the person returns to his/her normal self, and can resume all personal, social and occupational activities.

Myth: If you have everything in life, all material comforts, you cannot suffer from depression.

Fact: Though low socioeconomic status may be a contributing factor for depression, it can affect people across all socioeconomic levels. Many rich and famous people have been known to have suffered from depression.

source

Until you can show me some solid research or that you have at the very least a medical degree, I'll take what you say with a pinch of salt - or are you saying that you know better than WHO?

Depression is a terrible illness, much maligned by those who don't understand it.
If you have a broken leg - you go to the doc and get it fixed.
If you have depression, irresponsible individuals stigmatize the disease and try to pretend it doesn't exist. And the fact remains that although there are rarely physical signs of the illness, it is very real and no less valid than any other illness.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I would love to see some peer reviewed evidence for most anything being said on this topic, aside from dubious websites and a general lack of knowledge when it comes to human physiology, psychiatry, and its relation to pharmacology. Do you realize how much research, time, and discovery it takes to produce just one effective medicine, and the cost of doing so? In fact, the cost for clinical trials, research and development of just one drug is on average around $2 Billion USD. When you factor in the amount of medications that are proven ineffective and dropped from the trials you come up with an even bigger amount of money. At this point I haven't even starting talking about Orphan medications, patents, and the FDA Approval phase. Pharmaceutials are an industry that provide us with a needed product and those products do cost quite a bit of money to develop effectively. A general rule of any business is to maximize profit and minimize loss, and because of the large cost associated with research and development, the medications themselves often carry a heavy price tag in lieu of this.

I think it is a gross misjudgement to believe that Physicians and the Pharmaceutical Companies are trying to conjure certain illnesses all in the name of profit. If you want a real conspiracy out of this look no further than the Insurance industry which from a moral, legal, and ethical standpoint should be of far more concern for anyone complaining about the cost of medications.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I think people are confusing depression with 'sadness'. How about us people who have great lives (nothing to worry about except normal day stresses) but are yet suicidal? you cant tell me to get over it. whats to get over? i have a great family, boyfriend, friends, carreer....oh no...how will i ever get over that? (sarcasm!)

depression gets the best of you. even if you arent sad.

i can't get over it. i can help it a bit. maintaining a healthy lifestyle, always staying active. but it is always there. it never leaves.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzerman

Do you realize how much research, time, and discovery it takes to produce just one effective medicine, band the cost of doing so?

As it turns out, it costs less to research it than it does to advertise for it. I think there is more to the conspiracy than you are implying.

www.sciencedaily.com...
Big Pharma Spends More On Advertising Than Research And Development, Study Finds

ScienceDaily (Jan. 7, 2008) — A new study by two York University researchers estimates the U.S. pharmaceutical industry spends almost twice as much on promotion as it does on research and development, contrary to the industry’s claim.

The researchers’ estimate is based on the systematic collection of data directly from the industry and doctors during 2004, which shows the U.S. pharmaceutical industry spent 24.4% of the sales dollar on promotion, versus 13.4% for research and development, as a percentage of US domestic sales of US$235.4 billion.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

it depends ont he setting. With private practice docs I would agree, but several major universities Stanford where I work is one of them) has basicaly evicted pharma reps from the campus. At many hospitals you see pends, scratchpads etc with drug names on them. these are all gone now. A committie decides drug purchases etc and MD's who have taken gifts against the policy have found out the hard way what the phrase 'condition of employment" means. Its a step in the right direction and more HMO's and hospital systems are getting on board.

I go to the VA for my medical and Big Pharm is not allowed in the door.

i have RLS and fibromyalgia and i have found that a older generic drug works just fine for both. instead of taking two drugs one for fibro and another for the RLS.

for me that drug is gabapentin a epilepsy drug.

one this i have noticed is the drug companies try to get approval for condustions that don't overlap

there are many people with both fibro and RLS and the drug companies have never gotten A drug approved for both.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join