It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Made up Illnesses to take your $$$$.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Big Pharm. has posted tremendous profits over the last few years. Could the real reason for this be that we live in a society that's itching for a new illness?

I don't know about you guys, but I have known many people in my time that are all too eager to jump on an illness "bandwagon". For example, I have an Aunt and Uncle that can't see a "do you have trouble sleeping?" type commercial without saying "Hey! I need to ask my doctor about that. I've been having that problem for years."

My big question is this. Where were all those sufferers of Restless Legs Syndrome 10 years ago? How did all of those poor ADHD children and adults make it 20 (or 50 or 100 or 200) years ago? And what about Rosacia?

I mean, COME ON!!! What is the deal these days? You can't even turn on the television anymore without seeing some type of commercial touting a common ailment with a new "scientific" name that they have a new pill for. Seriously dammit! RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME????? How stupid are we?

MOD EDIT: Chris Rock is funny, but please don't circumvent the censors.

IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY!

Jasn

[edit on 8-8-2007 by spacedoubt]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yes, it's definitely a scam. In fact, the food industry is in on it with Big Pharma by adding chemicals to the food supply that causes all of these illnesses. There's lots of threads on this topic in the medical conspiracy forum. One of the main websites I do my research is at Newstarget:
www.newstarget.com...

You'll find hundreds of articles that discuss the scams of the food and pharma industries and the corruption of the FDA. Even cancer and diabetes is cureable but they will never let it be public knowledge. They would lose too much money.

After doing my research, I was able to get off of antidepressant medication after 6 years simply by changing my diet to consume organic foods and eliminating all foods that contain chemicals. It's not easy because pretty much everything you buy in a supermarket is loaded with chemicals.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

After doing my research, I was able to get off of antidepressant medication after 6 years simply by changing my diet to consume organic foods and eliminating all foods that contain chemicals. It's not easy because pretty much everything you buy in a supermarket is loaded with chemicals.

Antidepressants are truly a scourge upon the planet. We, as humans, go through good times and bad. Unfortunately, those bad times have a tendency to bring us down. However, we should learn to cope with those bad times and not dope to get through them. Taking a pill to make those bad times go away ultimately only prolongs those bad times. You know, kind of like a rebound relationship, it's good when it starts but in the end you just have TWO bad relationships to get over.

Jasn

EDIT: After seeing that you live in Florida, I now see why you were on the anti-depressants. I'm a Georgia resident myself so I know what it's like down there hahaha. (Sorry, just trying to keep the humor involved)

[edit on 8-8-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hmmm this thread is a bit of a mixed bag IMHO

ADHD is a real disease and children that are truly effected by it can be helped by medication. The problem with Ritalin as well as SSRI's etc is that most of the MD's prescribing them are not specialits in that area.

If my son needed Ritalin etc. i would take him for a second opinion and that would have to come from a specilaist and only after we explored non pharma options etc.

To say it is a made up disease is really off the mark. I have no idea about restless leg syndrome.

Edit to add: Depression is also in the same bag. Many people have been helped by thier meds. But the same thing I said for Ritalin applies here as well

[edit on 8/8/07 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
ADHD is a real disease and children that are truly effected by it can be helped by medication. The problem with Ritalin as well as SSRI's etc is that most of the MD's prescribing them are not specialits in that area.

ADHD is not a real disease and is caused by chemicals in the food supply. Most every kid diagnosed with ADHD can be "cured" simply by getting them off of the chemicals.

Source: Neurologist Dr. Fred Baughman talks about the fraud of ADHD and the poisoning of U.S. children

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
Antidepressants are truly a scourge upon the planet. We, as humans, go through good times and bad. Unfortunately, those bad times have a tendency to bring us down. However, we should learn to cope with those bad times and not dope to get through them. Taking a pill to make those bad times go away ultimately only prolongs those bad times. You know, kind of like a rebound relationship, it's good when it starts but in the end you just have TWO bad relationships to get over.

I agree with you that everyone must go thru bad times as well as good. That is what life is about. The bad times make you grow as a person and appreciate all that life has to offer. However... the government is purposely allowing the food companies to place these chemicals in the food to cause depression in order to get as many people as possible on antidepressant medications. The longer people are on them, the more brain damage they do, which in turn results in people having to stay on them indefinitely. It's a huge scam and the best thing everyone can do is switch to organic foods and products as soon as possible.

Check out the hundred year lie website:
www.hundredyearlie.com...

It explains how today's illnesses and disease have increased along with the increasing amount of chemicals placed into the food, water and personal care products for the last 100 years. It's some scary information.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Every profession is a conspiracy against the laity. To put it in simpler terms, the more med's your doc can prescribe the more money he/she makes.

I thought I had ADHD and went to see the doc. I saw the doc's assistant and walked out with a prescription for amphetamines. Not long after I was on anti-depressants as well. It was the happiest time of my life. I had more sex and parties while under that doctors care than I did when I was married.

A year later I was broke, homeless and going thru withdrawals that were absolutely psychotic.

I'm much better now though

We have become a society where the medical profession does not care about the patient. They only care about the money they can milk out of them.

In a money driven society every thing will always come second to the cash, including your health.

Just my thoughts on it,

wupy

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Hmmm this thread is a bit of a mixed bag IMHO

If my son needed Ritalin etc. i would take him for a second opinion and that would have to come from a specilaist and only after we explored non pharma options etc.

To say it is a made up disease is really off the mark. I have no idea about restless leg syndrome.

Edit to add: Depression is also in the same bag. Many people have been helped by thier meds. But the same thing I said for Ritalin applies here as well

I'm sorry, I just don't see ADHD as a "real" disease. Kids are hyper and non attentive by nature. Not to mention that you can take those ADHD kids and sit them in front of a television with Sponge Bob on and they won't miss a single second or detail of it. I view ADHD and Depression along the same lines I view Alcoholism when it comes to being a "disease".

When I was coming up, there were plenty of kids that would be called ADHD by today's standards. They were never medicated then and they all grew up to be quite normal adults. On the other hand, there were two kids that I knew that were on ritalin for "behavioral problems", they both dead now. They would have been 27 this year.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I think you have an interesting point of view about toughing it through life without any pharmaceutical assistance whatsoever even if it could improve the quality of your life so I gotta say I disagree. What might not be right for you doesn't mean it isn't right for someone else. I suspect this is more about your morale code and passing judegement on others that don't follow your code of ethics, no offense to you sir so please don't kill me with those pistols you are packing.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

MOD EDIT: Chris Rock is funny, but please don't circumvent the censors.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by spacedoubt]

Sorry, wasn't trying to circumvent the censors. I was editing the words with symbols like they do elsewhere when they are placing profanity where it's not welcome. I thought circumventing the censors was more along the lines of using @ss to say ass and not ***.

Jasn

Perhaps this is more appropriate as I feel it perfectly summarizes the point I was making here.

"They wanna get you hooked on some legal stuff! They just keep on naming symptoms until they name you that you freakin' got."

[edit on 8-8-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Every profession is a conspiracy against the laity. To put it in simpler terms, the more med's your doc can prescribe the more money he/she makes.

it depends ont he setting. With private practice docs I would agree, but several major universities Stanford where I work is one of them) has basicaly evicted pharma reps from the campus. At many hospitals you see pends, scratchpads etc with drug names on them. these are all gone now. A committie decides drug purchases etc and MD's who have taken gifts against the policy have found out the hard way what the phrase 'condition of employment" means. Its a step in the right direction and more HMO's and hospital systems are getting on board.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I'm sorry, I just don't see ADHD as a "real" disease. Kids are hyper and non attentive by nature. Not to mention that you can take those ADHD kids and sit them in front of a television with

Too bad the disease is real. Do as many kids that are diagnoses actually have it? We could have a pretty good debate on that. But to say ADHD is not a real disease is wrong in both my personal and medical 9based on 13 years of pediatric experience) wrong.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I gotta agree with the OP on this one. As far as anti-depressants go, whatever you are avoiding by taking them, will be just as strong, if not stronger when you quit taking them. It's avoidance. We suffer depression mostly because we are living a life that is not true to what we want to be doing or we have suffered a great loss. The point is, you have to go through it, change your life or accept your loss, feel the emotion, kick your feet, scream and cry, it's not crazy, it's life.

I am disturbed by the amount of zombie people I see these days medicated and numb, life is about feeling, living and changing...not about taking a pill to avoid the inevitable.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
With ADHD, the problems go further than just the kid who supposedly "has it" The parents are to blame as well, wanting to avoid the inconvenience, and perhaps to some extent, the embarrassment of it. In a world where being judged is so prevalent, drugs almost look "too good" for these parents.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Actually, the restless leg thing is real, i know from personal experience. I never took any medication for it though. It was brought on by anemia, and when that improved, so did my legs.

I do think it's stupid that they're advertising a drug for treating it...I'm sure the number of people with RLS caused by an unknown source is minuscule.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDeiFor example, I have an Aunt and Uncle that can't see a "do you have trouble sleeping?" type commercial without saying "Hey! I need to ask my doctor about that. I've been having that problem for years."

People's bodies react differently as they age... and, in fact it has ALWAYS been true that as you get older, you can have trouble falling asleep even if you're otherwise perfectly healthy. With your bio clock going out of synch, it can make for a difficult morning -- or make you sleepy during normal waking hours, which can lead to problems (like getting unusually sleepy while you're driving somewhere.)

Just because it doesn't happen to YOU doesn't mean "it's not true." Just because you don't get malaria doesn't mean malaria is simply an imaginary disease. You may never have had schizophrenia, but schizophrenia is a real condition and people have suffered from it for thousands of years.

Do a little talking to someone you know who has been diagnosed with depression... or a parent who has a kid with ADHD and you may come away with a new understanding of why drugs are such lifesavers.

And yes, these conditions existed for thousands of years or longer. Because there were no ways of treating them, victims were often put into what we would call torture today. Children could be chained and bound in strait jackets and left pretty much unattended for awhile (they could also be gagged.) Depressives often simply committed suicide. Anyone who acted "odd" was shut up in a household and kept away from others (tales of the dotty old aunt or uncle who wasn't let out to talk to much of anyone) -- or they were sent to an asylum where they were neglected or treated rather horribly by overworked staff and under-knowledgeable medical people.

We talk more openly about these problems now, but only 50 years ago it was a real mark of shame to have a "wild child" or an "insane person" in your family. So nobody mentioned it -- and a diagnosis of depression or "mental instability" usually meant the only treatment was to lock you up in an insane asylum.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I think it's quite funny how many people make professional medical diagnoses without a medical degree. I think you can't make a blanket statement like "everyone around me is numb and must be on dope" as if you are the end-all/know-all of medical diagonistics. Every single disorder mentioned in this thread is a recognized disease that sometimes requires medical treatment. What you are really saying is is that you don't have any respect for people you think are on prescriptions. In my opinion, life is way too short (less than a 100 years and that's if you are lucky) to "tough it out in agony when you could have had some of your disorders improved apon or eliminated by medical science.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   

to say ADHD is not a real disease is wrong in both my personal and medical (based on 13 years of pediatric experience) wrong.

The problem with that thinking is the assumption that the kids you have seen in the last 13 years can be categorized in some way to determine the baseline for normal behavior vs. abnormal behavior. What you fail to consider is the possibility that nearly all the children in over 30 years have experienced some degree of abnormal mental and emotional development because they have all been poisoned by food additives from eating roughly the same processed crap.

The problem with attempting to use empirical models as evidence for the existence of a disease (the very definition of psychology) is the very prevalent danger of both selection and confirmation biases. They simply continue on with the presumption that since only a percentage of the children exhibit a set of empirical symptoms the cause must be an underlying disease. They can never question the validity of that assumption because it would directly question the validity of their chosen careers.

Especially in the case of ADhD, the modern mental health statistician has no regard for the differences between an affliction or a disease. They are little attempt to differentiate between an environmental cause, an innate deficiency, and socially created malady. Without concern, they simply proceed to "cure" the symptoms of a disease that may or may not exist by overselling a treatment and buying a 'Benz.

Jon

EDIT: I kant speel.

[edit on 8.8.2007 by Voxel]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by carnival_of_souls2047
I think you have an interesting point of view about toughing it through life without any pharmaceutical assistance whatsoever even if it could improve the quality of your life so I gotta say I disagree. What might not be right for you doesn't mean it isn't right for someone else. I suspect this is more about your morale code and passing judegement on others that don't follow your code of ethics, no offense to you sir so please don't kill me with those pistols you are packing.

not really passing judgement. I just don't see the need and find it a bit sad that people resort to pills other than just coping with life. I would feel the same about drowning your problems with alcohol (which I did do and I still don't consider myself a "victim" or "sick" I was just too weak and let the easy way out get the best of me)

I, as well as anyone, know how hard life is and I DO understand the appeal of anti depressants, I just feel that they do more harm than good.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I just don't see ADHD as a "real" disease. Kids are hyper and non attentive by nature. Not to mention that you can take those ADHD kids and sit them in front of a television with

Too bad the disease is real. Do as many kids that are diagnoses actually have it? We could have a pretty good debate on that. But to say ADHD is not a real disease is wrong in both my personal and medical 9based on 13 years of pediatric experience) wrong.

Can we just agree to disagee?

It may be "real" in the sense of the symptoms that identify it being real, however, I feel it's a perfectly normal thing and at the very most a behaivoral disorder that does NOT need to be treated with drugs.

Jasn

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join