It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Made up Illnesses to take your $$$$.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astrithr
Actually, the restless leg thing is real, i know from personal experience. I never took any medication for it though. It was brought on by anemia, and when that improved, so did my legs.

I do think it's stupid that they're advertising a drug for treating it...I'm sure the number of people with RLS caused by an unknown source is minuscule.

See, I agree with what you are saying here. I myself have had problems like this my whole life with my legs and especially my toes. My whole life (especially when I was younger) I have times when I will be on the verge of tears because of my toes "hurting". It's not really a pain, but more like a weird sensation in them that causes me to constantly need to move them. It's so bad that if you were to hold my toes still and not let go I PROMISE you would never do it again.

But this whole thing with NAMING everything just to put another pill out there is ridiculous.

Something along the lines of ADHD I could accept a lot easier than freakin Restless Legs Syndrome, I mean seriously, you can TELL they just threw that name out there to get another drug on the shelf.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by carnival_of_souls2047
I think it's quite funny how many people make professional medical diagnoses without a medical degree. I think you can't make a blanket statement like "everyone around me is numb and must be on dope" as if you are the end-all/know-all of medical diagonistics. Every single disorder mentioned in this thread is a recognized disease that sometimes requires medical treatment. What you are really saying is is that you don't have any respect for people you think are on prescriptions. In my opinion, life is way too short (less than a 100 years and that's if you are lucky) to "tough it out in agony when you could have had some of your disorders improved apon or eliminated by medical science.

1. I never said "everyone around me is numb and must be on dope".

2. Just because something is a recognized disease doesn't mean much this day in age. Alcoholism is a recognized disease also, so is the need to rape women if you ask some doctors. That doesn't mean that you should throw a drunk or rapist on drugs to "cure" them.

3. You shouldn't try to tell me what I am saying. I have plenty of respect for plenty of people who are on scrips. I even have respect for plenty of people who are on anti-depressants. However, life is about LIVING and about COPING with the GOOD and the BAD. To quote Vanilla Sky - "The sweet is never as sweet without the sour". My problem with anti-depressants is that they cure NOTHING. They simply make everyday hardships easier to deal with by making you not give a damn.

4. LIFE IS LONG!!! It's only short in retrospect. If you think I'm wrong, you must not live paycheck to paycheck. I understand perfectly what you are saying about not wanting to suffer through life, hell WHO DOES WANT TO? However, eating xanax and prozac like candy is no better than going home and downing a bottle of Bacardi 151. However, we (as a society) look down on a heroin addict or a drunk just before we scarf down our Lexapro. Dope is dope, even if your doctor gives it to you.

jasn

EDIT: By the way, I'm not attacking people that TAKE anti-depressants. I am bitching abut the pharmaceutical companies that mass produce this crap and then make sure you can't live an hour of your day (an exaggeration) without seeing one of their commercials for them. I have live a hard ass life and I personally sympathize with people who are also living a hard life. However, I feel that the ONLY way you are ever going to overcome the hardship in your life is to FACE IT and handle it with a clean mind and body. As I said, I was a drunk for a good 3 years of my life for the same reason a lot of people are on anti-depressants and I wll NEVER feel sorry for any drunk that I see. Why? Because I was stupid when I was doing it, I beat it by use of nothing but willpower and it's SUCH a waste of life.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I understand your point of view and you make salient arguments about the over-distibution of anti-deppressants and I want you to know that no disrespect was intended. In fact, I am glad you brought this subject up it's a fascinating topic to say the least. You speak passionately about your beliefs and I believe in your sincerity.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

I understand your point of view and you make salient arguments about the over-distibution of anti-deppressants and I want you to know that no disrespect was intended. In fact, I am glad you brought this subject up it's a fascinating topic to say the least. You speak passionately about your beliefs and I believe in your sincerity.

Thank you very much for the compliments.
I also understand your point of view and also meant no disrespect. I think more than anything, I am just sad to see some people in the state where they feel the "need" an anti-depressant to help them be "normal".

If it ain't hard, you did something wrong.

Thank you for putting your time, effort and opinion into this thread. It is much appreciated.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Thank you very much for the compliments.
I also understand your point of view and also meant no disrespect. I think more than anything, I am just sad to see some people in the state where they feel the "need" an anti-depressant to help them be "normal".

If it ain't hard, you did something wrong.

Thank you for putting your time, effort and opinion into this thread. It is much appreciated.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I agree that we are an over medicated bunch. I've had doctors during a checkup, try to talk me into pain killers. Yes, there are many things that can be treated with drugs, but treating everything that you don't enjoy with a drug is just plain dumb.

Because as a whole, we are taking antibiotics at record levels, we're now starting to see more and more drug resistant strains of bacteria. I also think that over prescribing has led to a decline in the immune system for many people.

Also, there is lifestyle issues. Over the years I have known loving parents that keep their children antiseptically clean. Little Johnny gets on the ground for two minutes and Mommy is running him to the house for a bath. Little Johnny gets within a block of some kid with chicken pox and Mommy is in a tizzy. Little Johnny grows up and he can't fight off a cold, he's allergic to everything from grass to pine needles to cat hair, and he's miserable most of his life.

All things, prescription drugs included, should be used in moderation.

And Erectile Dysfunction is God's way of saying enough with the procreating.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei

Antidepressants are truly a scourge upon the planet. We, as humans, go through good times and bad. Unfortunately, those bad times have a tendency to bring us down. However, we should learn to cope with those bad times and not dope to get through them. Taking a pill to make those bad times go away ultimately only prolongs those bad times. You know, kind of like a rebound relationship, it's good when it starts but in the end you just have TWO bad relationships to get over.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by SimiusDei]

I don't think it's as simple as that. I know someone who's been depressed since age 14 and they tried everything, thinking it's just all in their head and they will never take a pill to fix the way they feel. Well, this person was pretty much about to commit suicide, and they were always tense, always angry and sad inside, there was never any reason, despite looking everywhere. Well, around age 27, I was finally talked into trying some anti-depressants after years of saying 'you don't need a pill to fix your brain'.

Guess what? I love life now. I'm not running around happy, but my mind is quiet inside... I can't explain it, but now no matter what the situation, I'm just relaxed. No millions of angry anxious depressing thoughts playing in the background. It's such a liberating feeling.

Point is, that in my case, it's actually a physical condition, and without these pills, I'd probably be somewhere else now.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Many kids here are active.
Some are more quiet and play silently (or play videogames).
Some are less quiet and play with lego and keep calling for their mom.
Some play soccer with friends and are even less quiet and calm.

But there's a difference between an active kid, and someone with ADHD.

I know this friend with ADHD in my school, he's 16 now.

Guess what, he's in perfect good health when it comes to physical exercise, you'd almost think he's too good.

When you see him going hyperactive, it's like he's on speed. (the drug) But he's not =D

I can see the huge difference here between the ADHD's and the ''normal'' kids.

[edit on 9/8/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm posting a response that I posted on another thread because I think it is relevant to this topic but adding some information as well.

Everyone's body makeup is different and everyone has a different mix of chemicals that they've ingested over the years. The mix of chemicals that you are exposed to is not the same mix of chemicals that I am exposed to.

It could be that my depression was caused by a mixture of certain food chemicals (depending on the mix of processed foods that I eat), certain water chemicals (I live in Florida), and other environmental chemicals that I'm exposed to in my apartment, the office where I work, the hair coloring I use, the makeup I use, etc.

Not everyone uses exactly the same products. Not everyone eats exactly the same foods. Not everyone lives in the exact same environment. That's why it becomes very difficult to pinpoint an "exact" cause for these illnesses (that's how the govt gets away with it and are able to fool people). But the good news is that if you try to eliminate as many chemicals as possible from your environment (starting with organic food, fresh filtered water and organic personal care products), you're probably tackling the majority of the problem right there.

If you think that you live in an area that's polluted with industrial chemicals, consider moving out of that area. If you think that you're being exposed to chemicals at work, report it to them and see if they can resolve the issue, or change jobs if you can.

Some people will not display symptoms but still develop illnesses many years down the road such as high blood pressure, heart problems, cancer, diabetes, alzheimers, parkinsons disease, etc. But considering the fact that the disease rates have skyrocketed, that should tell you that most people are being affected whether they feel it or not.

I consider myself lucky to have been affected by depression because that gave me the red flag signal that something is wrong and I was prompted to do my research and learn what I know now. That allowed me to get my own health on track and to help educate others on this very important issue.

For those who do not feel the symptoms, those are the really unfortunate ones because they will suddenly get sick years down the road and by then, it may be too late.

Most intelligient people realize that you can't mix household chemicals because it can be lethal. What do you think happens when you mix all of these dangerous chemicals in your body over the course of your lifetime? Some tests are starting to be conducted to determine this. It's already been shown that mixing diet pepsi and doritos can cause neuorological damage. Here is an excerpt from the article:

Fitzgerald: We looked at some of the studies done in the later part of 2005, examining the synergistic reactions between aspartame -- the synthetic sweetener that is found in thousands of products now -- and MSG, along with two common food colorings. This was a study done in England at a university in the later part of 2005. The result was found that when MSG, aspartame and these two food colorings were mixed together, they create a synergy that kills nerve cells. It causes neurological damage. We are only now at the threshold of medical science beginning to do any systematic examination of synergies.

Mike: Just to put in a real-world example of that, I would like to add that you can get that combination by drinking a Diet Pepsi and eating a bag of Doritos.

Fitzgerald: Absolutely. It is a children's meal. In fact, these researchers, at the University of Liverpool, wanted to examine what children commonly consume every day. That is why they picked aspartame, MSG and these two food colors, because they are so commonly found in all of the junk drinks and foods that children consume. The results should alarm us all.

Source: Interview with Randall Fitzgerald, author of The Hundred-Year Lie, on the prevalence of toxic chemicals

Here is a link to the Cosmetics Database run by the Environmental Working Group. You can look up the products that you use to determine their level of toxicity:
www.cosmeticsdatabase.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
this Debate about whether or not ADD/ADHD is quite easily solved, go to a thir world country and grab an ADHD child, if you can find one then it's not food addatives, ( the diet is not the same) I have ADHD and either my diet as a child was ruined me, or it something other then diet, I've been a strict vegetarian since I was in the Marines 26 years ago and still suffer when not medicated, I spent the last year OFF medication and could not learn anything, went back on meds and learned more in two weeks then I had in the last year.

the "active" kid thing is an external symptom imagine how fast the mind is if the body is moving like that..

without meds my mind feels like it is doing 120 MPH ALL the time, my body can only do 90 and the rest of the world is doing 55 MPH. When on meds my mind and body slow down to 60 which can interact with a 55 mph world.....

100 years ago civilization was riding horses, 60 years ago we had radio, 40 years ago we had black and white TV. the population, as well as science as expanded in the last 100 years, good thing we don't think the planet has an edge anymore

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

3. You shouldn't try to tell me what I am saying. I have plenty of respect for plenty of people who are on scrips. I even have respect for plenty of people who are on anti-depressants. However, life is about LIVING and about COPING with the GOOD and the BAD. To quote Vanilla Sky - "The sweet is never as sweet without the sour". My problem with anti-depressants is that they cure NOTHING. They simply make everyday hardships easier to deal with by making you not give a damn.

4. LIFE IS LONG!!! It's only short in retrospect. If you think I'm wrong, you must not live paycheck to paycheck. I understand perfectly what you are saying about not wanting to suffer through life, hell WHO DOES WANT TO? However, eating xanax and prozac like candy is no better than going home and downing a bottle of Bacardi 151. However, we (as a society) look down on a heroin addict or a drunk just before we scarf down our Lexapro. Dope is dope, even if your doctor gives it to you.
[edit on 9-8-2007 by SimiusDei]

Have you ever done any research on depression? I ask because I don't think you know even basic information about depression. I'm not trying to insult you, but I think you've got a very wrong idea of what depression is. I appreciate that you seem to have overcome your rough life. However, depression is a PHYSICAL problem, it is a mental illness and has nothing to do with a normal depressed mood because of death of a loved one, or other such loss. Depression is NOT a normal condition. It means the brains's activity is depressed and the depressive person simply cannot produce any feelings of happiness. Change of diet might work for mild depression, but for serious depression the only that works are meds. Anti-depressants do not make you escape from reality by making you feel cheery. In fact, they probably won't do much for you unless you have the medical condition known as clinical depression. It's not dope, it is a med that restores your brain's NORMAL chemical balance. Kind of like if you have low thyroid, then you ahve to take a thyroid pill to make your thyroid work normally.
I have done tons of research on depression, as I was a psychologist for 15 years (no, psychologists are NOT licensed to prescribe meds) and have suffered for many years from major depression. It is a trip through hell that I wouldn't wish on anyone. If you haven't had major depression, you cannot know how awful and hellilsh it is; can you imagine losing the ability to experience even one good feeling, ever?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Several years ago I had a series of neurological events that eventually led to me being referred to a Multiple Sclerosis doctor. However, the doctor said that what I had was likely something else, as it was unlike any case of MS he had ever seen before and lacked most of the distinguishing diagnosis criteria (MS is a disease that is diagnosed by eliminating everything else, usually).

Anyways, long story short, the doctor kept trying to push MS drugs on me despite me not being diagnosed yet. The drugs are a pretty big deal...You have to inject yourself multiple times a week and they make you very sick, to the point where you basically need flu medication all the time...Not to mention the fact that they leave you suceptible to brain infections as they basically block any antibodies from getting into your spinal column and brain.

Needless to say, seeing as I hadn't actually been diagnosed, I refused to take the EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE drugs (several $1000's a month) even though they would have been covered since I'm in Canada. Lucky I did, because it's been over 2 years without a single re-occurence of what had happened to me before. Had I been taking the drugs, I probably would have been praising them for keeping me healthy all this time. And to make matters worse, the particular drug my doc was pushing on me was taken off the market because some people died from it.

Just imagine...Me taking a really expensive drug who's side effects require me to take more drugs...And in the end I had no need for them.

Worst part is they still haven't figured out what happened to me yet, but they say that in most cases if it doesn't come back for 2 years, it's a good sign.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Okay, if all of you are done being hyper, it is the attitude.

There is claims that there should be more money (and again it is about the amount of money) for medical research. (the medical research of the usual bad diseases that come on in life - whatever - diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.)

To make more money, other drugs will be made to have people provide more money by taking more pills.

It ends up with the way that things are done because of the politics in this Country.

It is the attitude that if you eat healthy, you will be healthy, while none of them actually are really doctors. It is the street-talk of the ethics on what those type of diseases really are plus the money needed for reseach. It ends up squarely on the political parties of this Country. One political party stating that more money should be given for health, while they claim then to go see a doctor that is only going to prescribe you or anyone a pill to deal with it, because for the most part, it is like stupidity. The other political party stating that there is not the money for it, and for privatization of the medical industry with you give the money through donations because we need the money for weapons to defend this Country, since if nobody is alive, you do not have to worry about those medical diseases in the first place.

But: (and it is but to me)

There are Unethical practices going all around, and only stated is that either "we don't have the time to find the individual ones doing that" or that the other party states "we will make life Hell for them for thinking that in the first place."

None of it solves the real issue, the appropriation of money that is handled by the Federal Money, along with the States, and the result of stating that "We the People to ensure domestic tranquility and justice do............"
actually provide for the common defense against such attitudes given off by either political party. I am not a radical, and it is the appropriation of money along with the revenge seeking and spite that only seems to control this Nation of "We need the money more than you do type of attitude because we know more than you do type of education" puts upon the rest of us people here in the USA.

This type of attitude is utter nonsense out of these political parties and it is utter nonsense to think that those political parties are anyone's Saviour in this World.

Sucked into a gravitational pull because we are in a gravitational well does not mean that utter nonsense comes to any real thoughts about all that is going on with creating better food or better medical advise.

Afterall, when I was young, we had to grow our own food, and there is nothing in the processing of food that retains anything as well as probably nothing in the pill that will not have side effects and affect you more maybe than what those pills for every ill on this Planet are worth.

First it takes a couple of years sometimes to really get rid of some disease, plus a change in diet and an attitude that it has been you and them with the attitude in the struggle attempting to goad other people and that all of it -- may end up being no good.

Now, the world is bad, and all of that, but to me there is no need to keep reminding one's self that it is not what you may want in this world, except for some that will do this unethical behavior all of their life.

It may not be against the law, but then I wonder about any of that because it has been the advertising and the marketing that claims that it is better to keep the drug company in business or in the food industry make food for everyone, even if in the end -- none of it was worth anything about in the first place except to say that it was safe for human consumption.

First a person has to define -- what the heck does 'safe' really mean?
That if it is all bad, and that it is safe, that any of it will do any good?
B.S.

Thank you for your time, but in this world, humans are seemingly racing to nowhere, noplace, and perhaps even non-existence.

And then some of it is all phychological in the first place because some people want to make his/her self ill and in the second place, others want to continue to bring about flus and bad colds because "we have to go to work syndrome" in the Country.

First of all, no human is perfect, so why do humans think that others ought to be perfect? When the self-policed people like doctors, lawyers or police can not actually be correct in what they do, along with some others in what they do - either expressing it as a law suit or other activity (I mean if you are going to drop hot coffee from McDonalds on your lap - you should not be driving in the first place then") then why is the attitude seemingly given that everyone should go to Heck?

B.S.

[edit on 8/9/2007 by AmoebaSized]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You actually make a good point in that last paragraph. Maybe that is what's causing us to fall into this rut that we seem to be sinking deeper into. Nothing more than a desire to be "perfect".

Hm, who knows? Interesting thought however and thanks for posting.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

Have you ever done any research on depression? I ask because I don't think you know even basic information about depression. I'm not trying to insult you, but I think you've got a very wrong idea of what depression is.

Yes, I've done a bit of research on depression and I do know what it is. However, I happen to disagree that it is a "physical illness". I am very willing to admit and accept that there are people in this world who HONESTLY have psychological problems that they need a bit of assistance with. HOWEVER, I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO BELIEVE that it is such a wide scale problem.

I would say that roughly 80% of my friends are either on anti-depressants or have been on them at some point. They were also told they had a chemical imbalance that caused there problems. HOWEVER, I was (and am) around these people all the time, and I can HONESTLY say that there was NOTHING wrong with ANY of them other than the normal day to day stress all of us face. (Money problems being a main one and with one of my friends in particular his only problem is not having a girlfriend....he fully believes that he can't be happy without one.) Funny thing is, when those that were "depressed" because of money actually HAD extra money, they couldn't be happier and my one friend with the girl troubles is a COMPLETELY different person when he has some companionship. My point? These people were ALL told they were physically and chemically depressed and loaded up with all the fanciest dope their money could buy and guess what? THEY DID NOT NEED IT!!!!!!! THEY TOOK IT JUST BECAUSE IT WAS AN EASY WAY TO NOT HAVE TO COPE WITH LIFE'S PROBLEMS.

As far as what depression is or is not, most of the information that is given to us is given to us by the ones who are pushing the drugs. What do you expect those results to say? If they were to say anything BUT depression was a "real" problem that needed "real" treatment, it'd be kind of like a heroin dealer standing on the corner pushing HIS dope by sayin "Hey man, i can hook you up. Just so you know, it'll **** up your life and likely kill you."

With that, I'm done talking about depression. I have stated my point and you all have stated yours. This topic is NOT about depression but about the meds that the biggest dope pushers in the world are selling to an all to eager to get ****** up population.

Also, just to state my point again. I am NOT against all medical treatment and/or drugs. I have no problem with a diabetic taking his meds. I have no problem with a cancer patient taking their meds. I have no problem with an old man taking his viagra. However, it is getting a bit ridiculous these days. I mean come on!! Is there ANY symptom that doesn't have a syndrome yet?

As I said before, it's about MONEY and NOTHING BUT MONEY!

Jasn

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
RLS has plagued me for nearly 15 years. My solution? Take a potassium supplement before bed time or eat a banana.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by serpentine7
RLS has plagued me for nearly 15 years. My solution? Take a potassium supplement before bed time or eat a banana.

I found some information online (I forget the website) but there are a lot of people who claim that placing a bar of soap under the bedsheets in the lower leg area completely relieves RLS symptoms. I know it sounds crazy but it's cheap and worth a shot. You should try it.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I think the Bannana is a better option than the bar of soap, unless the Bannana causes you not to be able to sleep from an over active brain, they can do that if eaten before bed, can wake you right up.

I had a friend go into a coma from lack of potassium.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I would say that roughly 80% of my friends are either on anti-depressants or have been on them at some point. They were also told they had a chemical imbalance that caused there problems. HOWEVER, I was (and am) around these people all the time, and I can HONESTLY say that there was NOTHING wrong with ANY of them other than the normal day to day stress all of us face. (Money problems being a main one and with one of my friends in particular his only problem is not having a girlfriend....he fully believes that he can't be happy without one.) Funny thing is, when those that were "depressed" because of money actually HAD extra money, they couldn't be happier and my one friend with the girl troubles is a COMPLETELY different person when he has some companionship. My point? These people were ALL told they were physically and chemically depressed and loaded up with all the fanciest dope their money could buy and guess what? THEY DID NOT NEED IT!!!!!!! THEY TOOK IT JUST BECAUSE IT WAS AN EASY WAY TO NOT HAVE TO COPE WITH LIFE'S PROBLEMS.

As far as what depression is or is not, most of the information that is given to us is given to us by the ones who are pushing the drugs. What do you expect those results to say? If they were to say anything BUT depression was a "real" problem that needed "real" treatment, it'd be kind of like a heroin dealer standing on the corner pushing HIS dope by sayin "Hey man, i can hook you up. Just so you know, it'll **** up your life and likely kill you."

The topic is made-up illnessess and from what you've said, I gather you consider depression to be a made up illness. You've never sufferered from it and yet you know more than the doctors and scientists who study it, simply because your friends don't seem "depressed". How would you even know what to look for? Depressives do have moments of happiness, but don't have a feeling of being happy overall. I can certainly tell you that even if I knew nothing about depression, it IS a physical thing, the brain doesn't work right. I tried everything, but nothing worked until I went on meds.
For some reason, you seem to have a need to dismiss depression - I sure hope no one here who has depression reads your posts, they would end up feeling worse about themselves than ever, since they very likely wouldn't be able to just "buck up" and "face life's challenges." Your feelings are getting in the way of you being able to learn anything about depression. You have preconceived ideas and you seem to think you know more than the scientists and doctors who study such things.
So from what you've written, it sounds like you think people like me are afraid to deal with life's problems? Nice. You have no idea who I am, but you're still making a diagnosis on me. Does this make sense to you?

[edit on 10/8/07 by forestlady]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by serpentine7

My mom has the same problem, she has done the banana thing for a while now. What potassium supplement do you take? Unfortunately, the "Natural Foods" stores around here are quite pathetic and they have none (amazing huh?).

Jasn

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join