It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican activist attempts to burn American Flag-key word "attempts"

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
ok.

Going at it from another angle.

Man attempts to burn flag, to make a statement.

Different Man, sprays said flag with squirt gun to put it out..to make a statement.

Neither of the above men are from any government agency.

Have anyone's rights been violated?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is not about illegals . but... libs as you say are your fellow americans too. their points to be made are valid as well. Cons as we can say just hold the opposite oppinion on the spectrum ..proving that a divided people will never be united enough to protect them selves from a corrupt government....because we are too busy playing a name game.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
T ..proving that a divided people will never be united enough to protect them selves from a corrupt government....because we are too busy playing a name game.

Unfortunately, that is too correct.. I have often said that the terms get tossed around entirely too much. However, when you lack a better term, there is really nothing else to say..

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
you do not have to be part of an instituion to debunk its enemies. Some ones rights can and may be violated by someone else who shares the same right. The reasons why are beyond me.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Where do you get the idea its not cool to be patriotic....its not safe not to be so.....just read back man people are willing to kick ass over a flag on fire.....imagine ....

Patriotism is defined as love or devotion to ones country. If you don't like it here simply go back where you came from.

Why would that man want to come here to live the American dream, Yet burn the flag of the very country giving him the opportunity to go onto great things. This is going on the premise that hes a legal immigrant.

You seem like the average liberal, living in fear from your government. Its the very reason you support people just like this.

I do not like Bush. Ive made very clear statements that I wouldn't care if he were shot dead. Is the goverment coming after me? NO, because that itself is defined as freedom of speech.

Flag burning isn't speech. Its defacing property. Simple as that.

But really stop and think before you speak.

[edit on 7/30/2007 by AndrewTB]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I can understand both sides of this argument but here is my opinion:

I am English and fiercely proud of being so, I would be proud to defend my country and yes even my Queen. Its not that Im a die hard monarchist, She just represents England for me, as much as the flag does and the land itself does.

Even though I would die for my country, I honestly don't mind if someone decided to burn an St George's flag, I wouldn't even feel resentment...I wouldn't feel anything, even though that flags represents England.

To the person burning the flag it means something totally different, so they are burning it for their own reasons and I'm sure they are not doing because I'm proud to be English, they are doing because there is something they disagree with and there is a chance I disagree on the same issue.

So overall, despite my patriotism I wouldn't care if someone burnt my flag, because they are burning it for a different reason to why I fly it in my garden.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by Orcaporka]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I am not a liberal.....I do not fear my government.....I do not trust it absolutely....case in point the illegal war spoon fed to us by our great leader....as far as the immigrants not appreciating the opportunity given to them....give it to them....legalize them....they already work...some pay taxes...illegally...most would love to be considered american. We just give them a catch 22...yet they are uncooperative...they like crossing the dessert risking rape death and torture...because those airplanes make their ears pop...everyone hates that.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
give imigrants half a chance and they would jump on the chance to be equal to everone else. Maybe you think they dont deserve a green card because they havent proved themselves as real americans....let them prove themselves then....help them to make it....if they fail your right, they dont belong...if they do as everyone else and actually benefit our country..then cut the isht and leave them alone.....

I dont burn flags but I'd like to think I can if I so wanted to....I like to think I'm free to do with my property as I wish

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Flag burning isn't speech. Its defacing property. Simple as that.

Defacing property is a crime when it is someone else's flag you are burning. If flag was obtained legally this is a non-issue.

The question posed above, about someone using a squirt gun to estinguish the burning flag. If I owned a car of some great historic value, and decided to destroy it, I do not think anyone has the right to stop me. It is my property, even if it does have value/significance to others.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I wonder do the illuminated ones really care about flag burning. I think they would be more interested in false flags.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
No one really cares about flag burning.....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   

give imigrants half a chance and they would jump on the chance to be equal to everone else. Maybe you think they dont deserve a green card because they havent proved themselves as real americans....let them prove themselves then....help them to make it....if they fail your right, they dont belong...if they do as everyone else and actually benefit our country..then cut the isht and leave them alone.....

I dont burn flags but I'd like to think I can if I so wanted to....I like to think I'm free to do with my property as I wish

They have proven themselves. They serve in the armed service to earn citizenship too. Thats besides the point. Without going way to far off topic I will say this.

When you legalize illegal immigrants they will have to be paid the same as every else. THEREFORE, when such a thing happens companies will be forced to pay that price and not the low price they are accustomed to. Therefore the job market will be flooded as if it werent already somewhat bad as it is.

What I do support is a legal means of becoming a citizen (while you await in your country). Theres ways to streamline and make it greatly possible. Our government is just more disorganized then usual.

Since this isnt DIRECTLY an immigration debate I will stop here. But ill gladly continue this debate with you on a separate thread.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I feel illegal aliens are enemies of the American people. As far as I am concern, they have only one right in this country and that is to go back from which they came.
I did not service my country in the US navy for what is happing now with the illegal alien problem.
Making them citizens is not right, for what legal immigrants have to go thought to become citizens of this country. Al you are doing is going against the will of most of America Citizens. I have legal immigrants living in my neighborhood, and they sure do not like making illegal aliens
citizens by any means.

I am for ligal immigration, but not illegal immigration.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by CLT1985]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well, I can see this thread is degenerating and so, realizing that a consensus will never be reached on such an emotional and divisive topic, am moving along. But it has been fun, many thanks Boondocks 78, yuefo and Rasputin13, as well of the rest of you for making this an interesting and enlightening debate!!

See you on the threads

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
if he doesnt like america then why doesnt he get out

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by unitedstatesofearth
if he doesnt like america then why doesnt he get out

who said he does not love/like america...

andrew, it has already been established that burning the flag is freedom of speech and sources were given.....as far as defacing property, well, you can do what you want with you property.
i can't burn your flag but i can burn mine.....

i don't want to burn a flag but some day i might want to....don't know....i do know that it's nice to know that i can if i wished without facing jail....apparently, all i have to worry abour are some random tough guy patriots that would try to take my flag or even go so far as to put their hands on me.....
thats a different issue all together though.

i am not talking to anyone personally here cause i don't know any of you...not even talking about people on this board but i wonder if the people that have these hard core attachments to this flag feel the same way about say, their marriage....
you know, real issues....lets put some stock in something solid....something real....not some mass produced item...

en.wikipedia.org...
The United States flag is among the nation's widely recognized and used symbols. Within the U.S. it is frequently displayed, not only on public buildings, but on private residences, as well as iconically in forms such as decals for car windows, and clothing ornaments such as badges and lapel pins

^^^^^^^^^^^^

here comes the best part

Many understand the flag to represent the freedoms and rights guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution and its Bill of Rights and perhaps most of all to be a symbol of individual and personal liberty as set forth in the Declaration of Independence.....

now, as far as it's 'patriotic meaning'

Through the Pledge of Allegiance and other political uses the flag has also come to be associated with U.S. nationalism, patriotism, and even militarism

^^^^^^that was not the intention....of course that got tainted too and now everyone thinks that you have to be the uber american patriot when you are round the flag.....

it's insane

when you buy it, is it folded like this?

or is it folded in a square, stuffed in plastic? when does it become important? as soon as you buy it or as soon as you hang it or what?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I would like to vent my frustration about this masked hombre. And being im a proud US citizen who has stood a post for his country and has defended the very principles behind the flag say, Thank you to the guy who stopped the flag burning; he should get a medal.

Some here say it was the masked mans right to burn the flag. I say it’s the other mans right to defend it and stop it from happening. I am so tired of these people no matter where they come from complaining about the USA. They come here and they instantly feel the USA should change to their beliefs and cultures. They refuse to learn our language they drain our health care system and work our welfare system like a professional criminal.

To stand on a street and try and burn the very thing this country stands for is an act of war IMO. This was a slap in the face to every soldier who lost his life defending the flag and what it stands for and if you don’t see that then maybe you need to move to say IRAN or the West Bank or better yet move to Venezuela. Im sure burning the US flag in one of those countries will get you a happy meal at the local Mac Ds.

And to all those who hate the USA, go home if you don’t like this country, please go home before you turn the US into the places you came from. Go back to Mexico and burn the US flag all you want. But if you try and burn it on US soil then I hope that there is someone like the man who took the flag, who will stand up and fight you over it.

So my statement is to all of you who feel its ok to burn the US flag. I understand you prob have never stood a post in the defense of your country and try very hard to eliminate any patriotism shown by those of us who love this country and our flag. So I can tolerate your unpatriotic stance on this issue because the US is a free society for the most part. I just don’t have to listen to you or believe anything you say. You are pond scum to your country IMHO and your ancestors are prob rolling over in their graves with disappointment.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by geemony

So my statement is to all of you who feel its ok to burn the US flag. I understand you prob have never stood a post in the defense of your country and try very hard to eliminate any patriotism shown by those of us who love this country and our flag. So I can tolerate your unpatriotic stance on this issue because the US is a free society for the most part. I just don’t have to listen to you or believe anything you say. You are pond scum to your country IMHO and your ancestors are prob rolling over in their graves with disappointment.

another patriot^^^^

i like how people like this dude make it a point to let us know how they stood a post in the service to protect what the flag 'stands for' yet when people excercise their rights, they are pond scum..

hahahahahahaha

does the guy hate this country? how do you know

in your opinion it is an act of war and in your opinion blah blah.....according to the opinion of the bill of rights though, you are allowed to do that.

thanks for defending my right to burn the flag though...big ups to you

i love how the patriots and the 'real amaricuns' can make with the name calling and stuff. they can call people scum and wish pain on them..they can know from a thread that the person is illegal AND that he hates this country.....
these are some smart patriots we have here.

i worry far more about people like this than someone who has the balls to stand out there and light a flag, mask or not...
and judging by the way some of the patriots in here act, he probably wore the mask to protet his safety from the likes of people like you.....
just a guess though

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by geemony
I am so tired of these people no matter where they come from complaining about the USA. They come here and they instantly feel the USA should change to their beliefs and cultures. They refuse to learn our language they drain our health care system and work our welfare system like a professional criminal.

And to all those who hate the USA, go home if you don’t like this country, please go home before you turn the US into the places you came from.

so it's an immigration issue again...i didn't know this was about a healthcare drain or people refusing to learn the language......

then of course the 'if you don't like it you can leave argument'...

you know, you guys are so robotic with your responses, you all sound the same.

leave the country
he was illegal
scum or this or that
hooraah for the guy that tried to take it
i woulda done the same(or more)
i was in the army...weeeeeeeeeeee

it's all the same response

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Hum, I have not read the entire post but I am familiar with the news article.

It seems to me that illegals in America enjoy all the benefits of our freedoms given to the constitution for American citizens only.

And they very well make use of it.

But while they enjoy the display of that freedom where are the American patriots that are out rage with illegals taking advantage of our freedoms.

I don't see out rage American citizens in the streets protesting immigration or illegal immigrants.

That is why our nation is in the state it is.

While we debate and raise outrage in the comforts of our home and computers, illegals are on the streets fighting their battlers.

What a shame America.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join