It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican activist attempts to burn American Flag-key word "attempts"

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

For the same reason if they tried to pass a law expecting the American people to give up their guns. UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!! As I said political suicide. Hell, the people would revolt en masse.

Whoa... You are comparing apples to kiwi here... The only thing they have in common is that they are both fruit... I seriously doubt that "people would revolt en masse," if there were a ban on flag burning. I seriously doubt it. Guns, yes, but a ban on flag burning is not the same, or even close to being the same, as taking away a person's right to bear arms.

Where in the constitution does it directly state that a person has the right to burn a national emblem? I can tell you that the second amendment states that I have a right to bear arms... Where is the amendment in the constitution that a person has the right to burn a national emblem? It doesn't exist.

By the way, don't say that it is latent within the first amendment because that doesn't wash with me. Burning a flag is not speech;it's an act... We can play the interpretation game all you want, but speech and action are not the same things.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Care to give some evidence to this?

I was being facetious, but you did give the reason that I have implanted in my mind.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
an "act" of protest is legally protected in this country

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I seriously doubt that "people would revolt en masse," if there were a ban on flag burning. I seriously doubt it. Guns, yes, but a ban on flag burning is not the same, or even close to being the same, as taking away a person's right to bear arms.

Not anymore, people are far too gone to realize what's going on. :shk:

Where in the constitution does it directly state that a person has the right to burn a national emblem...Where is the amendment in the constitution that a person has the right to burn a national emblem... It doesn't exist.

Where in the Constitution does it say you can buy bread, milk, or Oreo cookies?

Why is it that people would have tried for Constitutional amendments that failed every time if there was no need for the Constitution to be clear on this?

By the way, don't say that it is latent within the first amendment because that doesn't wash with me. Burning a flag is not speech;it's an act... We can play the interpretation game all you want, but speech and action are not the same things.

Bull. You know it, too. No protests, no marches? All because those are actions. Please.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
an "act" of protest is legally protected in this country

Show me where it is worded that way...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Nope

By the way, the part that I have in bold is what the flag burner should have been doing rather than burning an emblem that is representative of an idea that hundreds of millions support in this country.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
not worded that way but you posted it for me.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Bull. You know it, too. No protests, no marches? All because those are actions. Please.

Ahem,ahem, now,now... Calm down there, sport. Protests and marches usually involve something called WORDS.. Do they not?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

not worded that way but you posted it for me.

It's not there.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Show me where it is worded that way...

Time to apologize to the British for that little tea party we threw. Time to make the blacks sit at the back of the bus, and no longer let integration be allowed. Time to keep women underpaid, and overworked, because they sure as hell aren't equal to men. /sarcasm

All those "acts" of protest. Precedent alone speaks to allow these actions, and cover them in the Constitution under the right of free speech. You want it to be illegal, spend more time writing to Congress.

I'm sure there are many people in Congress that at this moment will be more than happy to hear anything that includes an end to some part of free speech.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Ahem,ahem, now,now... Calm down there, sport. Protests and marches usually involve something called WORDS.. Do they not?

The only difference between picking up a lighter, and picking up your feet, is the distinction you attempt to make. Great acts have occurred in our history that make this nation great, and they did not rely on those that said "oh we can only speak, we cannot act."

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I'm sure there are many people in Congress that at this moment will be more than happy to hear anything that includes an end to some part of free speech.

Well, that is just your political persuasion talking there..

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Why is it that.... ahhhh, to hell with it.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Burning the flag does not represent hate. Initially it represents anger at a coutry's (ie their government's) actions, and if listened to can be an excellent channel for communication. Its supposed to hurt, but not harm.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm burning flags as we speak....Look at me as I revel in my hate.....I'm secretly a terrorist in my training camp....we have american flags here by the truck loads...just for burning .....buahahahaha

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
One must be well informed as to, where our country came from to understand.

People have literally died to protect not only America but the flag itself. In one point in time it was illegal to treat a flag in a such as way. The flag IS america.

I do not know how I would have reacted in the situation. I personally hope I would have the balls to do just as the man did and probably more.

Ive gotten into fights to protect the name of our troops and ill surely do it for my flag.

You are blind if you don't believe our country is being overrun and taken over by these immigrants. Whether he was legal or not its causing greater issues in the community.

Do keep in mind I am half Spaniard. My mother migrated here LEGALLY almost 26 years ago. Despite that, I highly favor capping off the amount of immigrants we let in.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Its a mexican funded alqueda-pro-imigration camp where we sit and try devise ways to "milk" the system while sytematically eliminating every sybol of american pride. Our leader isnt osama its Felipe De Jesus CALDERON Hinojosa. He hates america too. Soon every flag will be in flames defeating the imperialistic americans by not letting them pledge their allegance to it, hence never begin a single day of class......ever. buahahaha

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Yes yes the issue of race returns.....let me get the fighting irish to put this to a vote....anyone infavor of reinforcing stereo types swing a pitcher of beer to "oh danny boy-la cucaracha"

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB

You are blind if you don't believe our country is being overrun and taken over by these immigrants. Whether he was legal or not its causing greater issues in the community.

Do keep in mind I am half Spaniard. My mother migrated here LEGALLY almost 26 years ago. Despite that, I highly favor capping off the amount of immigrants we let in.

Well, I mean, God knows I have said enough about the illegal immigrant issue... However,it's not just Hispanics that commit these flag burning escapades.. I have seen whites do it as well. Also, it is important, as I already have, that the man who took the flag was Hispanic.

There are some good Hispanic people here. I think we have enough, but that is really beyond the scope of this thread. To me, this is more about certain mindsets, very corrosive ones, that have infiltrated this country over the last forty something years.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Yes yes the issue of race returns.....let me get the fighting irish to put this to a vote....anyone infavor of reinforcing stereo types swing a pitcher of beer to "oh danny boy-la cucaracha"

Say, fella, I happen to be Irish... So lay the hell off..

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This is his continent. you get out. your ancestors are from europe.....go there. people there acctually have enough of a mind not to judge a fellow human being for speaking out in defense of what he holds dear. expecially over something so trive as a burning "sybol" of something.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join