It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief vs. Unbelief Slugfest!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Just because someone has faith does not mean they're brainwashed. I live a life understanding someone is watching. So I try to do better, and not all the time do what I would want. For those thing are not good for me.

I think some like you, maybe not you, try to live a life without thinking someone is watching cuz they would'nt want God to see what they do.

I believe God is out there. God is watching. There is life after death. Just because you can not prove it does'nt matter. Cuz for as the bible talks about it. You will find none. You must have blind faith and free will. With proof there would be none.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
Just because someone has faith does not mean they're brainwashed. I live a life understanding someone is watching. So I try to do better, and not all the time do what I would want. For those thing are not good for me.

um... you don't need to constantly believe that someone is watching your every move to be a better person and refrain from indulging in dangerous or harmful behavior

I think some like you, maybe not you, try to live a life without thinking someone is watching cuz they would'nt want God to see what they do.

no, i really do wish someone saw a lot of the things i do, especially since doing good work tends to be a thankless job...
but i wouldn't want god watching me poop

I believe God is out there. God is watching. There is life after death. Just because you can not prove it does'nt matter. Cuz for as the bible talks about it. You will find none. You must have blind faith and free will. With proof there would be none.

ahem:
why?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
um... you don't need to constantly believe that someone is watching your every move to be a better person

I don't want to link to it because it contains profanity, but Google George Carlin on Religion. He talks about this and not only does it hit the nail on the head, it's hilarious!

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Moving a conversation in from another thread so that we stop hijacking it.

TheDuckster said:

MMF...I value your opinions with the UTMOST respect.

I want to ask you a few things:

As you know from me, I like to flex my 'spirtual muscles' from time to time, and want to ask YOU, your opinions on the 'lesser life-forms' that we presently co-habitate with.

It is with my present understanding, and from your past endevours - "Scientific basis" - that we both can 'some-what conclude' a basis for "Lesser artificiall life".

Is it scientifically POSSIBLE for 'lesser life' - that whiich we conceive to be of lesser cellular merit, to contrive thinking., and thus exhibit human - like potentiality?

How do we 'address' these beings?

And I said:

Thanks, Ducks, I appreciate the post.

I'd like to clarify, what you mean by lesser life. Do you mean animals, or plants, or bacteria? Or did your use of the word "artificial" mean something other?

I want to make sure we're on the same page before I give an answer. So there won't be misunderstandings.

So, let's carry on, shall we?

[edit to add hyperlink]

[edit on 24-8-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by aarbrock

Brock, while I am a theist, I am not a mainstream Christian. Perhaps if more of them thought somewhat the way you do, I would be. Good post, man.

Anyway, all of this belief and non-belief ebate winds up being for naught usually. Is there anything that an atheist could possibly ever say to change what I believe? I doubt it. However, I also doubt if there is anything that I could ever say or "show" an atheist to make them convert to my beliefs.

I think that people hav ethe right to believe whatever they wish. Look, even though I am a theist, if I lived during the times of the inquisition, I would have been burnt at the stake as a "heretic." So, am I really much better in the eyes of the "church" than an atheist? Nope.

For me to voice my beliefs would be as convicting for me as it would if I were an atheist, which I am not even close to being. Despite all of the differences I have with atheists and agnostics in terms of ideology, there is the link that they and I are viewed essentially the same in the eyes of the "church." We're viewed as people that "need to be converted."

I don't need conversion. My relationship with God is great, and to be honest, I view my beliefs as being accurate and most of the stuff that comes from the "church" seems a bit tainted to me... I don't need a pastor or priest or rabbi or Muslim cleric to tell me what and what not to believe. I'm good. I have my beliefs, they have theirs and THEY should leave well enough alone, in my honest opinion.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
We all strive to the "good" in our own fashion. Through faith in a devine being, faith in our freinds, or a good therapist, or Primal Scream (I'm a staunch advocate, by the bye). Whatever works for you, works for you...it really isn't my place to say my way is better, nor is it yours to say yours is (did that make sense?).

Truely, it doesn't matter how one comes to it, does it? A successful journey, is a successful journey, and we've all reached the same place. I believe in a Supreme Being, does he/she watch my every move and judge me? Doubtful. I'm simply not that important in the whole universal scheme of things...but she/he is there, of that I have no doubt what so ever.

Having said that...your beliefs are your own.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by seagull]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Now, seagull, with this live and let live attitude, how am I going to be able to slug you?

Seriously, though, it's your sort of belief system I feel allows me to live in the world. Unfortunately in the USA at this time, the more extremist attitudes towards unbelief are in the majority, so people like me feel we need to speak out. Make elbow room so to speak.

Humph. I can't butt heads with you. You didn't give me any ammo.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Sorry 'bout that...

I'm sure we'll have other oppourtunities in the future

I don't think there's any more of an extremeist bent to religious belief here in the United States now than there was, say, a hundred years ago. It's just with the birth of instant media we hear about it more and it reaches a wider audience. I'd hazard a guess, and that's all it is...I'd say that most religious belief is less extreme today than it was a hundred or more years ago.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by seagull]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

What if the man can't read or doesn't speak english?

[edit on 21-7-2007 by DarkSide]

God's followers are on a mission every single day. To not only steady themselves in the powerful current of the world through God, but to extend their hand out to others in the pull, be a witness, proclaim the good news and what changes it's made in your own life.

That man will choose to accept the news, Christ, or float on down stream.

edit: I forgot this part, Everyones "mission" is different. We are supposed to use our talents to provide for others in the church, the church being; the mass of christians as a whole, on earth. Especially with todays tech, the number of ways the gospel can be "proclaimed" are inumerable.

Trek the earth, toil to understand how your siblings communicate, lay Christ out for them, easy to see, and there will always be those who accept, and those that will deny.

I think big, but I'm a hypocrite more than I want to be, I still try hard though, I've helped one of my close friends see the light and when you see that happen after thinking they might not ever find Jesus, it's powerful. When you see big things happening, prayers answered precisely, in timing and fulfilled need, you see God. Not Him, but how he works.

Aarbrock, you hit me deep with what you wrote.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by depth om]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join