It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity is based on Egyptian Myths - Jesus Christ is Horus

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I had seen a documentary about this subject on the discovery channel a few months back.They concluded that Jesus and Horus were seperate and also gave a halfway decent explanation for these common traits.They concluded that the Christians of that time were so taken by the story of Jesus that they would often rereferrence other myths and incorporate the stories into events which took place with jesus as a means of elaborating on their telling of the Christian doctrine. Because books werent so readily available as they are now,the christians used other means to express themselves so that the common people of that age could grasp the jesus concept.Though the eventual outcome was that the jesus story became cross referenced with myths and legends and thus brings us to discuss it at this time. Dig?

I hope this makes sense because Im extremely baked right now.

peace

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
NJE777,
I would think it would be most crucial for you to also list each corresponding 'source' to each Horus -> Jesus similarity that's cited by the author Tom Harpur in his book and which you have presented for us in your first post here.

And I'm not just talking about a list of books cited in a bibliography in that book. I would think that Harpur must be including the names of the actual ancient texts he was using to draw up those similarities between Horus and Jesus.

So, could you give us another run down of ALL of the information in your first post and after each sentence, tell us the name of the source and text Harpur got his information from?
thanks...

and btw, I'm a religious agnostic... but do think that jesus existed

[edit on 8-7-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Palasheea
I would think that Harpur must be including the names of the actual ancient texts he was using to draw up those similarities between Horus and Jesus.

yes he did mention ancient texts, of which I can't remember the name (I read the book this weekend while at my Parents - it belongs to my Mum) so I do not have the book in front of me but will get one tommorrow to provide the name of the texts he refers to.

So, could you give us another run done of ALL of the information in your first post and after each sentence, tell us the name of the source and text Harpur got his information from?
thanks...

The list I provided was not directly from the book, but he lists all of those issues and as I couldnt find the excerpt online, I sourced info that paralleled his claims. I am more than happy to provide more info. You will have to wait a day though, sorry.

I am very disappointed with the developments...
I can understand the similarities as members have noted and the reasons why but Byrd's info really just nails it down to 'fabrication' and then I feel really annoyed. lol

Anyway, thanks for everyone's imput here.

I do feel it is so unintegral to knowlingly distort truth and then make ooodles of money publishing half truths.

edit = He refers to the Alexandria Library... here is a review of the book.

Harpur, a former Anglican priest and professor of Greek and New Testament at the University of Toronto, delves into the foundations of the Christian faith, questioning the historicity of the Bible, reinterpreting the familiar stories and restoring what he considers the inner meaning of scriptural texts. "Taken literally, they present a world of abnormal events totally unrelated to people's authentic living today." He documents the many traditions that predate Christianity and parallel the familiar Bible story. He sees Christianity, and the Bible itself, as a rehash of these traditions, merely imitative rather than a record of actual, historical events. He goes so far as to question the existence of the historical Jesus. Harpur believes that the early church establishment, through deliberate acts of suppression and the destruction of books that might challenge the orthodox view (most famously in the Alexandrian Library) shaped a rigid institution unable to cope with an evolving world. He insists that a major change must take place in order for Christianity to survive. His solution is termed "Cosmic Christianity"—a radical reinterpretation not just of the Bible but of the nature of the Christian faith and its links to the world's great spiritual traditions. Harpur's arguments, themselves a rehash of earlier scholarship, are unlikely to convince readers who are not already inclined to his views.
www.amazon.com...

cheers

[edit on 8-7-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Horus and even Ra, of the Egyptian Pantheon of gods, had to take a back seat to the 1st known Monotheistic God which was a revolutionary concept
introduced by ?Amenhotep?...the 1st One God was 'ATEN'

duly appropriated by the children of Israel/Hebrews
(i guess some claim that ancient Hebrews back engineered their monotheistic Yawh and the Law [Torah] from the Egyptian concept One God)

about all i can add is that i too understand that the 'Christian' Jesus figure is part real, (possibly Essene or Nazarene cultist) partly myth,
partly a composite of different individuals over a generation of zealot Jewish or Israelite 'holy men' which were not of either Rabbitical sects; Pharisee or Sadducee.

thanks for the 20 minute sunday AM religious focus

... ...
OH, Forgot;
www.godchecker.com...

RELATED; www.opednews.com...
~transforming civilization; Gods, God, Emergence, and Transcendance~

[edit on 8-7-2007 by St Udio]

[edit on 8-7-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Right... we really do have to have those sources this author is using to be able to do our own look-ups to see if what he's saying is true or not -- or if he's just making it up.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Heh...after reading the first post, a visit to wikipedia directly told me that Horus's father was Osiris, and then I began questioning it all. The problem is that the myth/legend of Horus kept changing with time. Near the end, it was believed that Horus was a reincarnation of Osiris, rather than his son. Perhaps that is what the author of the book took to mean that he was "born of a virgin" (although I'd be hard pressed to understand how he came up with all the rest). As Byrd mentions, he was talking about the older texts, or the original legend. It's quite plausible that the idea of Horus changed after that.

BTW, the destruction of the Alexandria Library cannot really be pinned down to any specific source. I've seen many authors point the blame at many sources (always to their advantage, as in this case
).

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Right... we really do have to have those sources this author is using to be able to do our own look-ups to see if what he's saying is true or not -- or if he's just making it up.

Look it up yourself! The information and sources are out there... I hate it when skeptics are too skeptical to do any research themselves and just take this stand-offish attitude. Besides, he gave his source, and if you want the sources of that source, they're listed in the book. Healthy skepticism involves looking seriously into the subject, not just throwing stones from the sidelines.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Did anyone notice that Tom Harpur doesn't mention that hes been working as a journalist for the last 20 years
the same as Graham Hancock and David Hatcher Childress
he probably researched this in back issues of the Toronto times as most of the claims he makes in the book are completely false
Journalists pffft
they think they know what people will believe
whats that well known quote from old Abe Lincoln

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I already debunked his crapola, horus is NOT Jesus and 90% of the so called similarities are FALSE. They list jesus as being born on Dec 25th which anyone with a brain knows is NOT TRUE, it is the day Constantine said to celebrate it, Would you like me to cite Constantines SUNDAY WORSHIP EDICT?

Jesus had over 70 Disciples yet the OP lists 12, in accordance wth all morons thinking, that havent read the Bible and or the other texts.

This whole thread is BUNK and only serves to try to spread doubt in those with little knowledge. There may be one or two of those items that can realistically be called similar to Jesus, but they are still wrong. For instance born of a virgin, now with Jesus's birth we know what Jewish Law was and this tends to prove the fact that they believed that he was born of a virgin whereas the Horus is mythical crap with no laws and or witnesses.

This is just as the Bible says it will be in the End Days, they will try to lead many away from GOD and will try to have the Love of Many for GOD wax cold.

If you all want to have a real disussion on Yeshua HaMeshiach I would love too, I will not take part in tripe that is based on crap. Fairytales and myths are not anything you can argue with any real success whereas discussing the actual Truth in the person is possible.

You also have the possibilit that the Egyptians got their Horus/Osirus from the JEWS as the great Pyramid was probably Noah or his sons building. We also know that at least two of the JEWS were CO PHAROAHS in that Yosef and Moshe were both leaders of Egypt. So instead of seeing the horus in Jesus you should be looking for the Jesus in Horus.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
theinedependentjournalist:

so when is the birthday of jesus so that we know where you are coming from?

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by freight tomsen
Look it up yourself! The information and sources are out there... I hate it when skeptics are too skeptical to do any research themselves and just take this stand-offish attitude. Besides, he gave his source, and if you want the sources of that source, they're listed in the book. Healthy skepticism involves looking seriously into the subject, not just throwing stones from the sidelines.

Your missile here is TOTALLY uncalled for and VERY RUDE!
The OP quoted from a book and all I am asking for is the author's (Tom Harpur) sources that he used to draw up his conclusions. There are too many books out there as it is to start looking through all of them to see where this author got his infomation from.

And I would suggest that you look in the mirror to see who's really being stand-offish here!

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
From David Icke's The Biggest Secret:

OK, a little quiz. Who am I talking about?
He was born to a virgin by immaculate conception through the intervention of a holy
spirit. This fulfilled an ancient prophecy. When he was born the ruling tyrant wanted to kill
him. His parents had to flee to safety. All male children under the age of two were slain by
the ruler as he sought to kill the child. Angels and shepherds were at his birth and he was
given gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. He was worshipped as the saviour of men and
led a moral and humble life. He performed miracles which included healing the sick, giving
sight to the blind, casting out devils and raising the dead. He was put to death on the cross
between two thieves. He descended to hell and rose from the dead to ascend back to
heaven.21
Sounds exactly like Jesus doesn’t it? But it’s not. That is how they described the Eastern
saviour god known as Virishna 1,200 years before Jesus is claimed to have been born. If you
want a saviour god who died so our sins could be forgiven, take your pick from the ancient
world because there are a stream of them, all originating with the Aryan and reptile-Aryan
race that came out of the Near East and the Caucasus Mountains. Here are just some of the
‘Son of God’ heroes who play the lead role in stories which mirror those attributed to Jesus
and almost all were worshipped long before Jesus was even heard of:
Khrishna of Hindostan; Buddha Sakia of India; Salivahana of Bermuda; Osiris and Horus
of Egypt; Odin of Scandinavia; Crite of Chaldea; Zoroaster of Persia; Baal and Taut of
Phoenicia; Indra of Tibet; Bali of Afghanistan; Jao of Nepal; Wittoba of Bilingonese;
Tammuz of Syria and Babylon; Attis of Phrygia; Xamolxis of Thrace; Zoar of the
Bonzes; Adad of Assyria; Deva Tat and Sammonocadam of Siam; Alcides of Thebes;
Mikado of the Sintoos; Beddru of Japan; Hesus or Eros, and Bremrillahm, of the Druids;
Thor, son of Odin, of the Gauls; Cadmus of Greece; Hil and Feta of Mandaites; Gentaut
and Quetzalcoatl of Mexico; Universal Monarch of the Sibyls; Ischy of Formosa; Divine
Teacher of Plato; Holy One of Xaca; Fohi and Tien of China; Adonis, son of virgin lo, of
Greece; Ixion and Quirinus of Rome; Prometheus of the Caucasus; and Mohammed or
Mahomet, of Arabia.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
so let me understand this

jesus is different physically speaking from horus but they both fill the same ROLE in religious mythology and the story's of the bible (the majority at leat) is simply a newer slightly different repacked bunch of story's and fable's for a different millenium?which can be found in different cultures thoughtout the last 4000 or so years of recorded history

[edit on 8-7-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
so let me understand this

jesus is different physically speaking from horus but they both fill the same ROLE in religious mythogoly and is simply a newer slightly different repacked bunch of story's and fable's for a different millenium?

You got it. What all modern religions do is place a figure like Jesus as a middle-man between you and God. Buddha, Mohammed, Horus, these figures separate you from your subjective spiritual self. The innate sense of connectivity to source (God, all things) becomes blocked by "objective" dogma.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
liquidself has the right idea. All one needs to do is study the works of Jung and Joe Campbell, and a lot of things start falling into place. These are universal themes, and archetypal characters. You find a Jesus character in EVERY major religion/mythology. Jesus just happens to be a particularly popular one. In a nutshell, all of it is the product of various psychological flotsam and jetsam floating around in our collective unconscious. I'm not sure anyone has figured out precisely what it all means or from where it comes, but these stories and characters primarily exist to teach us various universal
"truths."

How unfortunate it is that people confuse the metaphorical for the literal.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
So does Sheldrakes 'morphic resonance' come into play here somewhere?

sorry for the one sentence...

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think the title of this thread is all wrong.

Jesus Christ is not Horus - Jesus Christ is the SUN GOD.

Horus for Egyptians was the SUN and the similarities between J.C. and Horus are all connected with simple rules of Astronomy. On the 25th of December something special happens - it is called the WINTER SOLSTICE and at that time, the sun is at its lowest point for 3 days from 22-25 of December it is born again and starts to arise again and the days get slowly longer. That is all to it. What's up with those 3 kings? The 3 kings are simply 3 stars in Orion's belt, which point exactly to the place, where the sun shall rise on the morning of 25th of December. And the same goes for all SUN-GOD deities, for almost all cultures from Persia, India, Greece, Rome, Scandinavia etc. Everybody worshiped the sun once upon a time - but they also knew a lot about stars. So it is nothing new - just with a different storyline, but the basis for it is a copy/paste version of several Sun-God-Myths of our civilization. Yes Jesus Christ is Horus. And Mithra. And Krishna. And Dionysus. And Adonis. And Attis. And Hercules...

On the round surface of the yearly calendar, you can draw a straight line directly across the middle, cutting the circle in half - one end being the point of the winter solstice; the other end being the point of the summer solstice. Then you can draw another straight line (crossing the first one); one end of the new line being the spring equinox; the other end being the autumn equinox. You now have the starting points for each of the 4 seasons. This is referred to by all major encyclopedias and reference works, both ancient and modern, as "The Cross of the Zodiac". Thus, the life of God's 'Sun' is on "the Cross". This is why we see the round circle of the Sun on the crosses of Christian churches. The next time you pass a Christian church, look for the circle (God's Sun) on the cross.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Wow!
Souljah!
That's AMAZING! I never knew that before... do you have some links that talk more about this?

PS.... oh, ok... reading over the wiki winter solstice link you gave us... a lot of information there on this... FASCINATING! I'm very interested in searching for the roots from which many of our religions came from.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Wow!
Souljah!
That's AMAZING! I never knew that before... do you have some links that talk more about this?

Well you can start with mister Jordan Maxwell:

Astro-Theology

Then again - there are a lot of links and videos posted in this thread already, and I think if you check them all out, you shall be amazed and surprised about the information you shall receive if your mind is open.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yes! I'm very AMAZED at this information. Thanks for that other link and am reading it all over now!
Fascinating material and already it's giving me a new perspective in things!
Thanks again!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join