It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody else get headaches from toothpaste?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This happens nearly everytime I brush. So everyday I get headaches basically. I try to find ways for this not to happen, but every time it seems I beat it it creeps back up.

For example mint toothpaste especially does this. I don't like mint anyways. So for a time I was using cinnamon 'flavors' and it was of little consequence. But last year that cusion started wearing down. This year I found the new lemon flavours. First I got the CitrusBlast, but that didn't work because it's like a minty citrus. So then I got the straightforward lemon type. This worked for a couple weeks, but now again over the past few days the headache effect started showing up again. I have a headache as I type this.

I cant drink a or eat anyting for hours after I brush, or the effects kick n for sure. I dont even feel the desire to eat or drink.

It seems mailny like a frontal cortex issue:

I used to get migraines real bad as a kid. It seemed those went away when I got older and stopped eating sweet things. High blood sugar tests were negative. Mountain Dew, Sprite, Squirt, Zima, Hooch's / Docs Hard Lemonaide, etc "cloudy drinks" give me instant headaches at half a glass.
These toothpaste headaches don't reach migraine levels.

I dont know what's in those drinks that does it, not do I know what the deal with toothpaste is. I dont care for thos edrinks anyways, but daily agony from toothpaste must be delt with.

I know flouride has some side effects, but I didn't notice anything about headaches on the list.

Perhaps there's something in these products that does something to our brains, that my brain happens to sense better than others?

Also of possible relevence is that I've been drinking nothing but Reverse Osmosis water basically the entire millenium. When I drink virtually any other form of water it makes me nauseous, I cant even drink it (it's rough on hangover mornings when I'm out of RO water!!). Other people don't even comprehend the difference.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There was a recent recall on toothpaste. China found some bad tooth paste.

Link

Also recently Colgate had fake products sold. A recall was done by the FDA where it found antifreeze in its product.

Link

Check your products closely...don't use them if they make you sick or taste different.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Toothpaste is toxic. You should try a natural brand like Toms Brand. You should look up your toothpastes ingredients, you might be surprised what you find. There are so many different chemicals that can be giving you headaches. There are some other choices at your local natural store that should make quite a difference. I don't know if you stated what toothpaste you were currently using.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Maybe you have a bad tooth? That would make sense. Although fluoride is linked to a lot of conspiracies.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Apparently most toothpaste contains aspertame. Tom's doesn't and I imagine that's the major reason it tastes crummy. But tasting crummy beats a headache any day. Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I get headaches from mouthwash...i use that new mouthwash that doesnt have alchohol in it. I think its made by colgate. I stopped using it because of the headaches. Went back to the old stuff.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Most Toms brand taste great, what brand are you using? It tastes better than any other brand, although auromere is a pretty good tasting brand also.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Actually I had not problem with toothpaste, as long as you just use enough for the brushing and spit the rest is fine.

But the tap water gave me terrible headaches, so perhaps the problem here is the fluoride.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Does anybody else get headaches from toothpaste

I don't get headaches from toothpaste, however, something that has been happening recently for me is after a prolonged exposure to mint (chewing gum) i begin to get headaches. These normally go after i spit it out (after a while).

Other gum is fine, it tends to only be the mint type.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
There are many different "healthy" toothpaste brands out there, try some of them maybe.
If you look up "fluoride conspiracy" in google you will find a lot of controversial material about this chemical.
Xilitol might be bad for the brain to but in never got to realy look that up.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It's the Aspertame and Fluoride, the dumbing down of the population.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I rarely have a headache but I used to have lots of stomach aches and I read of one doctor who believes over 90 percent of migraines are caused by one substance or chemically similar additives in our food. I believe aspartame is chemically similiar to MSG but I'm not 100 percent certain. It is something I avoid.

link to a topic on MSG here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

link to what other names MSG may go under
www.truthinlabeling.org...

I've tried to eliminate any food with MSG and that's a lot of processed food and any soft drinks with aspartame. I rarely have any stomach aches or head aches now.

You could always see a doctor or dentist if you continue to have a problem or it gets worse. I'm not familiar with headaches caused by brushing teeth.

I tried to find the book I have that refers to this. I did find another book I have that stated a number of reasons for migraines. One of those was food allergies and it did say that aspartame has been known to cause migraines. Food allergies are only one possibility out of many. I just know it was the cause of problems for me. I believe my teeth hurt at one time as well, I think I was drinking too much soda and not taking any vitamin supplements.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Wow thanks for your comments so far.
That antifreeze case is unthinkable!

I went to the store (gas station) and took pictures of the ingredient labels on the "cloudy drinks" that i know cause the issue. Tomarrow I'll try to squeeze in doing the same in the toothpaste isle, and then hopefully I can give you guys some analysis to put it all together.

One thing I noticed in the drinks was aspertame.

I have 5 different kinds of toothpaste here but none list their ingredients.

One thing that has always annoyed me is that they always have these fancy different labels that say things like "advanced tarter protection", or "whitening formula". Ok, so you check the label and they all same the same exact thing: "Active Ingredient: Sodium Flouride whatever". Generally it'salways the same amount by percentage too.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I add another link about a recall in new Zealand following discoveries in Australia.

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Maybe you guys are accidentally swallowing the toothpaste?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I can't stand the stuff personally, even when I was a kid I refused to use it. I just use toothpicks, my tongue, and various acidic beverages (gargling with Mountain Dew is not entirely unpleasant).

Not that I'm recommending such a regimen for anyone, it's just what works for me.

It's probably just a statistical anomaly that I'm in my late twenties and have never had a cavity.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Perhaps there's something in these products that does something to our brains,

Just like all the corporate products that have no good intentions and no other purpose then to make money on the expense of the naive.

I cant even drink it (it's rough on hangover mornings when I'm out of RO water!!). Other people don't even comprehend the difference.

A safe bet would be the alcohol giving you the headaches...

If you fear the toothpaste so much for unhealthy effects, how on earth can you even drink alcohol... What a monumental mistake that is.

However, toothpaste like most of the other products that the industries would want you to believe you need, is a rotten product.

Just like soap or shampoo, do you honestly think that you need to use a soap to clean your self? No.... that's a lie. Water will do just fine and you won't catch diseases like they would want you to believe.

Trust your nature, it's the best guide to a healthy life.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I heard that you can brush your teeth with baking soda and peroxide mixed with water.

Anyone knows more details on this method?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
My first question would be, how old are you? and do you have your wisdom teeth yet?

I had a lot of headaches from brushing my teeth while my wisdom teeth were trying to poke through, before they broke the skin.

I also am in my late 20's and have never had a cavity, and i love to eat sweets. I think the reason for this anomoly is because when i was younger i wouldn't brush my teeth, i would go weeks without brushing it was a very rare occurance. My method of cleaning my teeth was chewing gum. I never got a cavity and my breath was always great, and i could drink orange juice any time i wanted without it tasting disgusting.

I think brushing you teeth weekens your tooth enamel, and thats why 4 out of 5 dentists approve of it...because it means that they get to have a prosperous career in dentistry.

Didn't you guys ever ask yourselfs why theres always that 1 out of 5 dentist who doesn't approve of anything. That 1 dentist could be the right one, and the other 4 could have a self serving agenda.

I think theres a conspiracy!

[edit on 25-6-2007 by Where2Hide2006]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   
My personal advice would be to avoid anything and everything with aspartame in it. Its a low level carcinagen. I'm constantly astounded by the amount of products with it in and I can forsee a huge increase in stomach/bowel/bladder cancers in the next 10/15 years.

Having said that, it may mot be the products that cause this, it may actually be your teeth - one tooth out of place, or one with a trapped nerve under it (that you wouldn't necessarily feel as an instant irritation and your whole jaw may be out of balance and as soon as you agitate it you will get problems - do you ever experience this after eating?

My mother had similar problems until she had two back teeth removed. The dentist had it down as too much pressure on the jaw structure.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join