It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owner of land where flight 93 crashed wants $10 million to sell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Owner of land where flight 93 crashed wants $10 million to sell

www.foxnews.com

PITTSBURGH — A man who owns property at the site where Flight 93 crashed has demanded millions for his portion of land where a memorial is planned, and has installed a donation box to help pay for security. The actions by Mike Svonavec have angered victims' families, who believe he is overcharging and disagree with the need for a donation box.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I can understand the need to pay for security & be paid fairly for his land ... but to try to take advantage of people's sympathies & want for a memorial & try to get rich from what happened on 9/11? That's just sick. This guy would make a perfect member of the Bush Regime ... the other people getting rich from the tragedy.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Since he owned the land, he is probably asking for 10 million to keep his mouth shut for good. Im sure he knows some secrets, so i think its a pretty fair price.

Give me 10 million and i wont blow the cover on the garbage your planes dumped all over my back yard!

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
That guy has every right to charge whatever price he wants. It is a SELLERS market in his case. He had no intent to sell his land before a plane plopped onto it. They are asking him to do this.

He is lucky that they didn't just use the old eminent domain trick on him. For those of you who don't know, that's where the government seizes your property just because they can.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spoodily
He is lucky that they didn't just use the old eminent domain trick on him. For those of you who don't know, that's where the government seizes your property just because they can.

That is the best way to describe that. Well put.

I think this guy should be able to sell the land for whatever he wants. Thats how an open market works, theres a place someone wants build something, somebody else has the rights to that land, they can do whatever he wants... but after a little while Goverment will just take it, for reason you mentioned before

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
"Well, it ain't got much dollar value, but it's sentimental value is through the roof!"

Take advantage of people's sentimentalism. MILK THEM DRY! It's the American way. Yay for Capitalism. The best way to get rich is to take advantage of people's emotions. Just look at how rich all the defense contractors got because of the war on terror. Or even the music artists that wrote tribute songs about 9/11. This isn't any different. If people are stupid enough to want to crowd around in the middle of an obscure farm field, let them do it, but make them pay.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I wished that I owned that land...

10 million wouldn't get it... more like 50 million.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I don't see the problem with a donation box, considering the National Parks Service has them at all sites now. As the other poster said, it's a sellers market if they want it, they'll pay what he wants for it.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I read something that made me think about this story...

In 212 BC the Carthigian General Hanibal camped outside the walls of Rome, this created such a scare in rome that is changed the terminolgy of fear, after then fear was described as Hannibal at teh gates. anyways, after Hannabail left the romans took the land that he camped on and sold it off at full normal price, the reasoning being that they sould not make it a big deal...

If only we would learn from our ancestors...

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spoodily

That is not how it works, the government can not just decide to take your land for no
reason and that's that.

Imminent domain is where a local or higher government deems it necessary for the
public good to forcefully buy the land, that is they compensate you for the normal value of the land,
but don't give you the choice of not selling it.

Of course there are cases where the system is abused, but all in all the government does'nt
just randomly take your land and that's it.

A for the story, I think that this individual is quite deplorable and indeed Imminent Domain
should be used, as the public good and want outweighs his greed.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
A for the story, I think that this individual is quite deplorable and indeed Imminent Domain
should be used, as the public good and want outweighs his greed.

Although I don't agree with him either, there is no good reason for the government to take his land, whether they pay him for it or not.

new topics

top topics

join