It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa baffled by soil properties on mars in latest photo.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Damn...I only see 10 faces, but I've got a dark monitor here at work...will have to try at home...

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin I will never understand why some members are so critical of another member's observations.
Logic is also important in an analysis. Given the size and angle of these pictures, it's obvious that we're seeing some rocks pretty close to the lander/rover... so the dimensions of the rock would be inches, not feet... and possibility of the rock being a fallen Easter Island styled statue is exceptionally remote... and the probablity that it's a random shape very high.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Damn...I only see 10 faces, but I've got a dark monitor here at work...will have to try at home...

What is it with work monitors?! Mine sucks too

I can only see 9 faces....... 12 if you count the rider and two horses

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin
I will never understand why some members are so critical of another member's observations.

As for the imaginative minds that saw a face in that stone, I saw the face as soon as the picture was posted.

I'm not trying to slam peoples observations - but rocks have irregular shapes, many flew around the solar system for billions of years, colliding with others, and certainly some erosion occurred over time (dust storms - the product of WIND, are reportedly spotted on mars (csep10.phys.utk.edu.... Plus, exactly how large ARE these rocks we're seeing?

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by BelowtheRadar]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
If you don't think this face is of any importance then say so, but continuously ridiculing other members is absurd.

I see a face in the rock. I do not think it's significant. Ah, I feel much better.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
fi fee fo fum
I see a face and it looks kinda dumb
fi fum fo fee
it's all in my head, the stuff that I see
fi fee fum fo
What you see is fake, there's so much more.
fi fo fum fee
But I just remembered.. I gotta pee.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
they said that there would come more pictures today but were are they haven;t seen a single one.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

As I found the 11 faces myself, I guess I'm pretty good.
Also, I found a skull and a 12th face. So there are 13 faces.

Try to find these extras.

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well, I see 12!

(Above the head of the white horse)

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Well, I see 12!

(Above the head of the white horse)

Woaw. That's right. Well done.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
plant life? or a steaming pile of alien shi_t?

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
He he, that's an interesting face picture. I did get all 11 within a few seconds, I have to say I thought I was doing it wrong!

I don't think these pictures will reveal any strange rock patterns or artifacts, it looks like a lifeless place to be honest, one step worse for life than the south pole.

For those with good connections, there's a 67 meg tiff of the area including 'Sleepy Hollow'.
I'm downloading it at the moment, I can't wait to see what's in this one.

[edit]
I guess putting the link in would have helped.
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...
[/edit]

[Edited on 8-1-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What's the best program to view these images in? Windows picture viewer isn't doing it for me, it's a bit annoying.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I see one right above number 8, too.
Try IrfanView. It's the best free picture viewer/converter/light editor ever, I think. I once opened a 480M picture of the WTC. It took forever, but it did it.

[Edited on 1-8-2004 by Satyr]

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
they said that there would come more pictures today but were are they haven;t seen a single one.

im curious where more pictures are as well

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Richard Hoagland's going to have a field day with this!

By the way, he's on Coast to Coast AM tonight. First hour.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
The rumours abound such as does Mars really have an atmosphere? Some are claiming that NASA is delibertly making the photos red because in fact the sky is bluish due to slight oxygen atmosphere there and they wish to hide it from us?

Then this weird picture, did not some lifeform check out our little probe or is that idea too far out?

Let us see a picture that zooms out in that direction.

I thought The sjy was blue here on Earth not because we have an oxygen rich atmosphere but because due to our planet being 70% coverec in water the atmospehere reflected the predominant covering of the planet, this would make sense in teh case or Mars as well, for if it is predominately a red soiled planet even with pockets of water the sky would be red, as this is the dominant planetary covering.
...just a thought...

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
science.howstuffworks.com...

humbabe.arc.nasa.gov...

If the Martian atmosphere were to be completely cleansed of dust, the daytime sky would appear blue, just as our own sky because of Rayleigh scattering by the molecules (primarily carbon dioxide molecules) which make up the atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
There is also a face right above the # 8 face that was not circled.

MTZ

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
What if the smeared object(s) is nothing more than a wet t-shirt? That would explain just about everythimg....

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join