It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa baffled by soil properties on mars in latest photo.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Wow, some of you guys are seriously trying to see things.

Have you guys EVER looked at earth rocks? Obviously if you look hard enough you will see just about anything. I have some pictues of rocks in the distance when I was living in Arizona. I'm sure if I wanted to I could see Tim Allen's foot in one of them.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this "Do you see a face?" "Is that an alien hole?" "Could that be my mother?" sort of stuff is just downright laughable.
Take it easy guys, see with your eyes and not with your imaginations.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
First off I have to agree with Seven. You look for something hard enough, and you will eventually see it. Even if it's not there......my uncle has a rock on his farm that looks exactly like a human face..........is it really a human face carved out of stone, or is it there because we are looking for it.
On a seperate note, I was perusing the many photos and what I noticed on the first few panoramics is the size of the sun. It looks REALLY, REALLY big. I would have thought, being farther from the sun that ourselves, it would appear smaller...........

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
On the way down, the parachute collected some sort of vapor which condensed to a liquid. The liquid was trapped under the parachute and interacted with the Martian dirt and formed a mud like substance. As the parachute was pulled in, the damp mud-like substance was seen mimiking the pattern of the weighted parachute.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
.. and thanks to you both.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dravenn

Take a good look at this... Doesn't that look like a face on the side of that rock, i know it probably isn't but then again, who knows... Just a lot showing up in these pics... Could possibly be some sort of statue?
[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Dravenn]

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Dravenn]

like this????

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
lol you never know you might of just found an ancient easter island type statue on Mars........

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
but what I wonder is why the whole picture is complete only the bottom left partion is missing why is that. have the whole officiel picture from marsrover.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
but what I wonder is why the whole picture is complete only the bottom left partion is missing why is that. have the whole officiel picture from marsrover.nasa.gov...

I wondered the same thing as you when I looked at that picture yesterday. Must be something of great importance.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
A) Ancient martian monuments exposed to the surface would be long eroded... c'mon. The only thing they'll find on this mission is more detailed soil analysis. The rover won't travel far, and sure as heck won't be digging very deep.

B) These are rocks. My daughter has been in love with a tiny 3/4" rock that she found in the yard and swears it has a mouth and dimples for eyes. You see what you want. I can't wait til the rocks are seen from a different angle and/or at a different time of day. Maybe then the "heads" will turn from reptillian to George Bush's... whatever would we do then?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I looked at the stars the other night and I swear I saw Pam Anderson's chest in the southern hemisphere.

As for the Mars rock. Wow! I have seen so many faces there...I think we have discovered the lost Face People!

All seriousness aside though...people do see what they want. It has been happening since the beginning of man.
Cloud shapes...do we believe that the Air People made them?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
It's really looking like a glass. But a glass on the martian soil ?

Yep. Mars has lots of volcanos. Volcanos produce (tadaaa!) volcanic glass, and lots of it. You can find good examples of this at any modern active volcano or at old inactive volcanos (just ask around for sites where the rock "obsidian" is found. That's old volcanic glass.)

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Well people can see what they want but that rock looks sharply cut to me, look at those edges!

You don't see that all the time in nature and not in a place like that away from other rock.

furthermore, how much erosion would occur on the surface of Mars anyways? this is still an issue of contention here isn't it

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO Well people can see what they want but that rock looks sharply cut to me, look at those edges!
There has been a lot of rocks talked about.... which one again?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else but I was talking about the rock in the images at the top of this page.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEOthe rock in the images at the top of this page.
The "fallen statue" images?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Earth Venus Mars
N2 0.79 2 3 x 10-4
O2 0.20 < 0.001 10-7
Ar 0.01 0.005 2 x 10-4
CO2 0.0003 64 0.009
H2O ~ 0.02 ~ 0.01 ~10-6

Total 1.00 90 0.01

--------------------------
H2O 3 km 0.5 mm small
liquid
+ vapor

(A technical note: This is based on a pressure ratio of .0056/1, a surface gravity ratio of 0.38/1.0, and a mass per molecule ratio of 1.5/1.0 for Mars/Earth.)

As you can see Mars has a very thin atmosphere and those holes and strange erosion patterns that we are seeing could be caused by very small impacts from space debris or meteorites that burn up in our atmosphere.

I am not ruling out the possibiltie of water erosion just pointing out another possibility

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I will never understand why some members are so critical of another member's observations.

As for the imaginative minds that saw a face in that stone, I saw the face as soon as the picture was posted.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"-Albert Einstein (I believe an ATS member has this in their signature)

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenZeroOne

Have you guys EVER looked at earth rocks? Obviously if you look hard enough you will see just about anything. I have some pictues of rocks in the distance when I was living in Arizona. I'm sure if I wanted to I could see Tim Allen's foot in one of them.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"-Albert Einstein (I believe an ATS member has this in their signature)

Yup......me!

I agree with what you're sayin' bangin.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
ultra_phoenix, I think I found 10 but I'm questioning one of them! Thanks for posting!

UniversalFiction, I knew it was someone! Great signature!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join