It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The earth is spinning faster, why?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Maybe because it's trying to shake us turds off it!

Lol, I agree.

Could it have anything to do with " Next Density " state of Consciousness ariving. It seems this next decade will be one to remember.

Deep

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Maybe because it's trying to shake us turds off it!

Let that be a self-description. As far as my family and me, it is not applicable.

Regardless, this is good news. I now have a scientific reason for not getting my tasks accomplished, both at work as well as the honey-do list at home!

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!

Were going to be flipped right off the face and into the BOB!

I'm calling my mom.

DeltaChaos

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Because Earth's rotation has a tendency to slow, timekeepers decided to implement leap seconds in 1972 to make UTC agree with astronomical time to within .9 second. Since 1972, 22 leap seconds have been added. Adjustments, when needed, always are made midyear and at year's end.

IMO back in 1972 we screwed the calculation up somewhere. So since 1972 we added 22 leap seconds, with adjustments as needed and now since 1999 we have not added any leap seconds. IMO they calculated the rotation adjustment wrong and we are just correcting it back to where it should be.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Here's a little expiriment to try.. take a ball with a rubberband attached to it and swing it in a circular motion... when you start it, you will notice that it goes further in and out. The moon does the same thing, only on a vastly larger scale. Wish I could find the site where some scientists explained this, but I can't

Basically they said that when the moon was formed, it would vary by even more than it does now... basically it's still unstable and does not have a perfect orbit. The scientists also explained something to the effect that because the moon has a nearly perfect rotation (it revolves once for every orbit around the earth... dark side of the moon and stuff) that it acts this way. It doesn't have nearly the gyroscopic stabilizing effect that it should.

I'll try to find the article... if anyone else knows where to find it, please post link.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What kind of crackhead book do you read that in ?

The moon does not "spin" it orbits the Earth in a stationary position.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This may surprise some of you but did you know we are losing the moon? Back in the days of Apollo, astronauts left behind on the lunar surface reflecting mirrors which have laser beams directed upon them from the Earth. These are accurate to within a hairs width. They show that the moon is leaving the Earth at a rate of an inch and a half per year. How did this come about, how are we losing the moon?

I am not a scientist but here goes - millions of years ago the Earth had already formed, was almost completely an oceanic planet, with bits of islands showing above the waters. Life did live in these waters but at what level is not known. Then an object now called "Orpheus" came into the gravitational pull of the Earth and hit it so hard that it destroyed everything. The entire planet shattered, pieces of both hurtled into space. As the Earth reformed into a molten, volcanic, desolate globe, so did the Moon form out of the millions of bits of rock then forming a circle around the Earth.

Originally he moon was 15 times nearer the Earth and obviously 15 times as big! Can you just imagine that coming up over the horizon? Earth's rotation was faster then also, completing one rotation every 4 hours. As the Moon gathered both mass and gravity, it slowed the earth down gradually till it settled into the 24 hour day we know today. However, the equilibrium between the Earth and the Moon has never settled and the moon has been pulling away ever since. One day in thousands of years time, it will finally lose all grip of Earth's gravity and drift off into space.

Then the world as we know it will cease to exist. The tidal flows each year are even now getting weaker and weaker as the Moon pulls away, not fast enough that we notice but it is happening! The Earth rotates at a 23 degree angle currently. With the loss of the moon, it will begin to wobble and will even reach angles of 90 degrees! Ice ages will come and go with regularity.

Without the Moon, we would not be here, it is as simple as that. The formation of the Moon is directly responsible for our being here, the original Earth, as stated earlier, was completely oceanic. We would not have developed if it had not been for the Moon. Also, with the departure of the moon, we will no longer be able to inhabit the Earth, conditions will become so bad. Scientists have come up with a theory, that will take possibly thousands of years to gain the necessary technology, that we take Europa from the orbit of Jupiter, placing it in Earth's orbit. Now that is a bit of cosmic engineering on such a scale as to be unimaginable - but so was space flight 60 years ago!!

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
WTF are you talking about ? Some huge space object did not slam into the Earth and break it into the moon and Earth. Geez

The moon's composition is nothing like that on Earth. So throw that theory right in the trash.

Speculation has it that the moon moved into Earths orbit at some point in ancient history. Although no-one can account for the exact time frame that the Moon become visable to humans. But there is a gap in recorded mythology about the absence of the moon in the nights sky. That at one time Earth had no moon.

And the numerical possibility of Earth being a solid ocean and then being torn apart to form to seperate bodies of mass and only one of which reformed and somehow reformed oceans is absurd. If Earth was truely broke open, it would be a dead lifeless rock. Atmosphere gone, rapid venting of captured gases in the Earths core venting to space, Earth would never have been able to rebuild itself to form oceans again.

Nice story though.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Opions are like ass holes, everyone has one.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
What kind of crackhead book do you read that in ?

The moon does not "spin" it orbits the Earth in a stationary position.

Wow... you must only read boards and chat in AOL rooms... I dunno.

IF the moon didn't spin, one half of the world would see one side, and the other half would see the other side. As it is, the moon makes one revolution per orbit. It always has the same side facing us. That is, to the best of my knowledge, perfect proof of a spin. if you mke a model and make the moon the center with everything moving as it should, it will spin.

What crackhead taught you physics?!?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
doesnt seem like too big an issue really... but interesting none the less... but would this mean that in 4 to 5 million years we could have 20 hour days again... its the loop repeating it self... everything is cyclical

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
i believe the main reason for the increased speed is, in fact, the hotter core. it also, i believe, relates to a natural 'cycle' within the earth. 'cycle' should be perceived as just a pattern, much in the same was as the changing of the poles is a 'cycle'

as to the moon deal, there is a rather strongly supported theory that the moon was in fact formed when a big ol rock hit earth, and that with part ofearth flung out to become the moon. this would have had to have happened early in the earth's history to allow the rock to still be molten enough to fly out off of the earth, AND to allow for completely different rocks to form on both bodies. and it also helps with that fact that if the moon was a free floating body (why didnt it get caught by somethin else, like jupiter) a lot of those have metal cores, which the moon, i believe, does not.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Moon's Rotation period about its axis:
27 days, 7 hours, 43 minutes

Revolution period around the Earth:
27 days, 7 hours, 43 minutes

Microsoft Encarta 98 Encyclopedia

This is why a full moon always shows the same featured side. The timing is perfect.

Here is an interesting fact about the moon's distance from the Earth. It fluctuates closer and farther away over time. Encarta Encyclopedia shows in a specs. table this:

Shortest distance from earth: 221,456 miles
Greatest distance from earth: 252,711 miles

I read at one web site three years ago that the moon was at its greatest distance cycle in 1763. The site also stated that the moon will be closest in 2013.

Oops!! There's that magic year again! (2012-2013)

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Too bad we cant capture Mars.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
we will prob move to mars then i suppose.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
talk about cycles, the cesium atom is the benchmark vibration for atomic clocks...i donno? 9 trillion a sec.?

~~&&~~

the whole solar system is speedin up, going faster...its
not just earth getting out of sync (variables & wobbles are expected)

each ~240 million years, this area of the galaxy where our local solar system resides...rotates 1 complete revolution round the Galactic Core[Sagittarius A & black-hole]

at each ~240 MY cycle, earth encounters a mass extinction event of some type...there are up to 5 identified and 2-3 possible candidates more if archeological 'forensics' can evidence these events.

cobbeling together a few different existing theories
and reading of a very similar hypothesis, somewhere...
...we are now accellerating toward a Gamma Ray, X-Ray and exotic Quantum Particle Beam, that radiates from a polar axis of our local (Galactic Centre) Black-Hole
--->>>it will take approx. 5 'months' for earth & solar
system to pass thru this deadly beam of energies

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jammerman
Faster?... I thought the Earth was slowing down...

carnicom.com...

Peace,

+Jammer

Cliff is always good for a laugh.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

WTF are you talking about ? Some huge space object did not slam into the Earth and break it into the moon and Earth. Geez

The moon's composition is nothing like that on Earth. So throw that theory right in the trash.

Speculation has it that the moon moved into Earths orbit at some point in ancient history. Although no-one can account for the exact time frame that the Moon become visable to humans. But there is a gap in recorded mythology about the absence of the moon in the nights sky. That at one time Earth had no moon.

And the numerical possibility of Earth being a solid ocean and then being torn apart to form to seperate bodies of mass and only one of which reformed and somehow reformed oceans is absurd. If Earth was truely broke open, it would be a dead lifeless rock. Atmosphere gone, rapid venting of captured gases in the Earths core venting to space, Earth would never have been able to rebuild itself to form oceans again.

Nice story though.

As Amorymeltzer pointed out, this the "Big Whack" or the "Big Splat" theory is now the leading theory in how the moon was formed. I am just finishing up a book called The Big Splat - Or How our Moon Came to Be, by Dana Mackenzie, 2003. You can probably find it at your local library, that is where I found it.

Anyway,

Actually the Moon's composition is very similar to Earths, especially in the oxygen isotope ratio. Meteorites do not have the same ratios. Furthermore, the differences in the moon's composition from the Earth's are consistant with the theory based on the planetoid impact throwing a huge chunk of the Earth's crust into orbit.

And the numerical possibility of Earth being a solid ocean and then being torn apart to form to seperate bodies of mass and only one of which reformed and somehow reformed oceans is absurd.

And your analysis of this problem is based on what branch of planetary/ astrophysics?

Furthermore, based on the ages of moon rocks brought back by the astronauts, the moon was formed 4.4 billion years ago. fairly early in the Earth's history. At this point, the Earth would have been still too hot for water oceans to form.

Originally posted by robertfenixIf Earth was truely broke open, it would be a dead lifeless rock. Atmosphere gone, rapid venting of captured gases in the Earths core venting to space, Earth would never have been able to rebuild itself to form oceans again.

You apparently don't understand the process of accretion.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
SpittinCobra : i watched a program on the discovery channel saying exactly the same thing as you have stated here.It pointed out that one day we might need to take action to move the moon back closer to Earth somehow.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Supernova
SpittinCobra : i watched a program on the discovery channel saying exactly the same thing as you have stated here.It pointed out that one day we might need to take action to move the moon back closer to Earth somehow.

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.

1.5 inches/ year, over 100 million years = 2,224 miles, about 0.9% of the average distance of the Earth to the moon now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join