It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The earth is spinning faster, why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I saw on CNN where they reported that the earth is spinning faster and scientists don't know why, one of the reasons they gave might be the heating up of the earths core, well doesn't that stand to reason if the earth is spinning faster the core will get hotter so what they are saying might be a cause could also be the result of the faster spin. Anyway anybody got any ideas our scientists don't and thats scary, I like thinking someone knows what is going on.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Website?
I wanna read up on this

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
heres a link to an article

dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
could it have something to do with how the rest of our planets are lined up? Maybe they are having some crazy unprobable gravitational pull on our planet that could cause this.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Could it be that Terence McKenna was right and that time is speeding up?

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheButcher
could it have something to do with how the rest of our planets are lined up? Maybe they are having some crazy unprobable gravitational pull on our planet that could cause this.

I don't think this was one of the three reasons that scientist are looking at but it does remind me of when all of the planets lined up once a few years back, hubby had me worried, he told me that the possibility of the gravitational pull from the other planets could throw us completely out of orbit and into a spin, he thought this lie was funny but then he forgot to tell me it was a lie and I was telling people about it (fortunately not on a website). I was so mad at him when he heard me telling someone about it and he started laughing at me. At any rate it still makes perfect sense to me that it could happen.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Website?
I wanna read up on this

I am looking in the CNN website but can't find anything. I know I saw this story the other day on tv and I think it was CNN anyway I know for sure it was on a major news show. I will continue looking for a link, does anyone else recall hearing this bit of news?

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
goose, i heard that thing about the planets being aligned as well. I think on some show on cable. It seems to me its always the bad things we dont think of that actually happen

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Maybe because it's trying to shake us turds off it!

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Maybe it's something to do with the moon...
I think I read somewhere that when the dinosaurs were around each day only consisted of 10 hours - but then the moon was sucked into our gravitational pull and the Earth got slower and made 24 hour days

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRenegade
Maybe it's something to do with the moon...
I think I read somewhere that when the dinosaurs were around each day only consisted of 10 hours - but then the moon was sucked into our gravitational pull and the Earth got slower and made 24 hour days

This made me think of my own little theory... Maybe it has been the moon that has slowed us down for millions of years... And maybe the Earth has outgrown the moons own gravitational pull and is speeding up again. I know that the Earth gains land by particles from space, so maybe the earth has grown too large for the moon to have that much of a gravitational effect on us. If this is true, perhaps we're headed for a 10 hour day sometime in the future. This is just my theory. What do you guys think? Could it be a possobility?

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
Could it be that Terence McKenna was right and that time is speeding up?

Contrary to accepted popular science "Anything's Possible". It could be along the lines of the theory regarding pole shifts a coming. Seems like speeding up might be something we do every 10,000 years or so, right before a shift. The equator could end up near NY this time.

Anything's possible. But I do like the Time/Novelty theory of McKenna. Wish he weren't dead. I would love to read his daily blog! Oh man, that would be awesome.

If we're spinning faster it's those machine elves doing it. I've seen 'em.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
This made me think of my own little theory... Maybe it has been the moon that has slowed us down for millions of years... And maybe the Earth has outgrown the moons own gravitational pull and is speeding up again. I know that the Earth gains land by particles from space, so maybe the earth has grown too large for the moon to have that much of a gravitational effect on us. If this is true, perhaps we're headed for a 10 hour day sometime in the future. This is just my theory. What do you guys think? Could it be a possobility?

I think it's a possibilty. I read on one of the other threads on ATS that life as we know it on this planet would not be possible without the moon's stabilizing effects...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I had never thought anything about the moon causing the Earth to rotate faster/slower. I just always thought of the Earth's distance from the sun, and it's (Earth) size.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Well, since the Earth is spinning faster, earthquakes are becoming more frequent..something has to be getting the Earth "nervous" so to speak. Hate to bring in religious fiasco into this, but, could this have anything to do with Planet X/and/or the transition into the "next plane" ???

-wD

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I don't think so simply because I'm not all that religious. Maybe the Earth was just resting up after a long run Millions of years ago... it slowed the pace to catch it's breath, and now it's off to the marathon!? Who knows... anything could be happening right now.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Planet X? I'm kinda getting tired of all this crap about Planet X. I reckon if Planet X was really a planet we would have found it and scientists would have gotten all happy and started writting all sorts of "interesting" facts about it. Planet X is something that people blame all strange goings on in our solar system.

What do you mean by the "next plane"? (Sorry - i'm not really religious...)

My theory is that the Earth is finally getting affected by all the sparse particles in space - since it's not a perfect vaccuum. So maybe friction is finally affecting it slightly...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRenegade

My theory is that the Earth is finally getting affected by all the sparse particles in space - since it's not a perfect vaccuum. So maybe friction is finally affecting it slightly...

You mean the particles left over from when Planet X exploded?

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
lol

Well, now I'm creating a new blame planet. I'm calling it Planet Y67A and it's the reason for everything strange in our solar system , since Planet X exploded

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Faster?... I thought the Earth was slowing down...

carnicom.com...

Peace,

+Jammer

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join