It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starchild Forensic Reconstruction.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I just did the forensic reconstruction on The Starchild for Lloyd Pye. I am an artist, and now a forensic sculptor.

I thought I would share pictures, to see what kind of impressions you all might have of the face, and accuracy.

Thanks

Tommy Allison
Mad Robot Studios
www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
TommyChaos, is STARCHILD an alien from a movie?
That's a very good sculpture. The eyes look human.
Is that intentional?

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hi Tommy,

Good job, but what happens if you give the sculpture an earthly flesh tone, and human features, such as eye brows? Malformed Human? Or am I batting at a pinata? LOL!

I, honestly, haven't kept up with Mr. Pye and the Star Child. Did he ever get a DNA reading on it? I know he was trying to get that done at some point in the past.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Info on the Starchild can be viewed on this website.

www.starchildproject.com...

Lloyd Pye has this skull that has been tested and retested, and genetically it appears that the father might not have been local.

To answer some of the other questions,

The sculpture is not for a movie. The eyes are intentionally human looking, as it is proposed that the Starchild is a human / alien hybrid.

The color you see is the color of the material, and not painted. If I were to give it flesh tones, it wouldn't look altogether different. The ears are low on the head because that is where the auditory canals are on the skull, which again makes this specimen unique.

Thanks for the compliments. I had a lot of fun doing this sculpt.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   

In the picture I've changed the skintone.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
That is very interesting. I have always wondered what that skull would look like with flesh covering the bone. The eyes don't quite look like the skull, though...but maybe it is the cranial size that makes it seem that way without flesh. The skull, the eyes look almost malformed, like they should slant inwards to some degree?

What information can you provide about the ability of the body to support this head? I believe there was no other skeleton...but the joint in the occipital region...is it robust enough to allow for practical use of such a cranium? That would be important in determining if this were a deformity or hybrid, for sure.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It's a good question to ask.

I have no ideas on whether or not this could have held its head upright, as apparently there is no other bones that belong to the skull to be found. Apparently the skulls in question were found in a cave in Chihuahua Mexico, and as the story goes, were washed away after the girl who found them took them out of a cave.

I don't know all of the particulars, but what I do know about the skull is that it most likely would have had an arched neck in order to have supported the weight of the skull. As far as the bone structure goes, the skull is pretty solid, so I would imagine that any of the other corresponding bones would have been equally stout.

I'm on the fence right now as to what my opinion is, because I'd like to see how the next round of Genetic Tests pan out.

The partial maxilla that I was sent had a portion of the orbit still attached, and I was able to ascertain the dimension of the of the eye socket. The eyeballs I used were 26MM, which is pretty close to adult human eyeball size. As far as the slanting goes, no. Why would they? They fit in the skull as per the partial palate.

As far as the joints being robust enough, I would imagine that it would have been fine, however, I'm not entirely convinced that this deformity would have been detrimental. If you look at Progerians, you see a lot of similarities, which is what I based my finished sculpt on, as they have very similar features, and delicate bone structures.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Great forensic reconstruction, but what I don't like is the following features that make it look more alien than possible human:

• Shiny skin
  • Green or olive colored skin color
  • No eyebrows
  • No Eyelashes
  • Veins showing thru translucent skin

I just wish the it was more impartial in the reconstruction, or perhaps made 2 versions. There is no way to know the above items from the skull itself I believe, so it is creative license happening?

In any case amazing work, I kow that many hours went into this. Are you the creator, if so can you explain your techniques, I'd be interested in this art that you made!

[edit on 25-4-2007 by greatlakes]

• posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:16 AM
    link   
    I just have a question, didn't the skull have no nasal passage? Please excuse me if I'm wrong. And thanks for the pics, awesome job!

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:17 AM
    link   
    Interesting that you should bring up progeria, as that was another thought of mine. however, with progeria, the deformity is due to uneven bone growth along the cranial plates, correct? Would this leave any pitting or scarring on this region? Primarily if the culture the child lived in was one of sparse means, creating issues with nutrition (which would have already been evident in the rapidly aged body of the child). It would not appear to be progerian from my distant inspection...but who knows. I am a call center manager, forgive my lack of anatomy understanding. I did get my wife through nursing school...but that was 8 years ago.

When I look at this picture:

I can see many things. The missing maxillae is likely what makes me think the middle of the face could be deformed.

I do see that there is a greatly reduced sinus cavity, and the setting for the mandible appears to be fairly robust, as of the chin may be much stronger than one would expect, much as you have portrayed.

The auditory canal does seem to be set very low on the skull. This in intriguing, as it would render the acoustics very, very different than we are used to. The auditory canal would almost have to cross with the upper spinal cord on its way back up into the brain. That is very interesting.

I would bet this individual suffered from pretty severe ear infections, as the contents of the upper throat would be either level with or slightly above the inner ear entry in the throat (assuming that this biology remained similar to ours).

The only othe knock that I can find is that the temple and zygomatic structure on the rendering you have may not be quite to scale on the skull...but this once again may be soft, fleshy tissue. It seems that the temples and cheeks are more pronounced on the outside of the orbital socket. You see how much bone is protruding? There is even an edge where the center of the maxillae was broken out. I wonder of the eyes didn't protrude more on the outside?

It is good work...i can barely roll a booger, and applaud your artistic ability.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:18 AM
    link   
    For starters, let me explain why it looks the way it does.

1. The glossy skin isn't really glossy, it's the light reflected off of it from the lamps I used to illuminate it when I took the pictures.

2. The olive skin color isn't supposed to be olive, it's supposed to be neutral, because the Apoxie Sculpt I use generally cures up either a light grey, or even flesh tone depending on the batch.

3. Have you ever looked at someone with progeria? They do not have body hair as a rule.

4. Those aren't veins. When you apply the Apoxie Sculpt in layers as I did, where it overlaps, it makes what appear to be veins.

5. I did the entire process, as a skeptic. I am unbiased. If you were thinking that I was manipulating it to look like an alien deliberately, I would have given it BLACK EYES, instead of human eyes. I mean, if I was going to make it look like an Alien, I would have simply gone the whole way with it.

If this were flesh toned, which I offered up a picture with the skintone altered, it would look no different. Bear in mind that my perceptions of this thing are NOT that of a true believer.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:26 AM
    link   
    I just had a thought.

I ask everyone to go to this link.

www.comicspace.com...

If you click on the link called Starchild Reconstruction, you'll see the skull from start to finish. That might answer a lot of questions.

I used forensic templates based on both progerians, and 5 to 6 year olds. I conferred and was involved with 4 different scientists who were not involed directly with this process. I was not paid to do this project, so therefore I remained completely objective in the outcome. It looks far more human than alien, and considering that it would be considered a meso-american, the structures are as accurate as they can get for the information at hand.

The art of forensic reconstruction is mostly speculation, and mathematical probabilty when it comes to bone thicknesses.

A lot of people have hypothesized on how this skull would have gone together with the limited pieces that are available. Unlike a lot of the other people who have done "reconstructions", I actually had something to work with, and start from.

If Lloyd wanted an alien sculpted, I wouldn't have spent my own money making molds and castings of the skull, and partial maxilla. I would have just made him an alien. Because that's what I can do, I can literally make anything.

I'm not touting this thing as genuine, as I've got my own opinions about the idea of alien human hybrids. I hope that I have clarified things for everyone.

Thanks

Tommy

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:31 AM
    link   
    I appreciate you sharing it with us. I have always wanted to see such a workup.

I would also be interesting in seeing workups of other unique fossils, as well as the much touted "Crystal skull" (not the crappy ones, either...the real one, the perfect one with the hinged jaw).

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:40 AM
    link   
    No worries. Sometimes it's easier to explain with pictures than words.

This skull reconstruction has been an interesting ride. I spent a lot of time doing research, and came up with the right look for this thing, even though I haven't yet painted the original sculpt, nor do I intend to at this point. I keep my originals in an unpainted state until after molds are made.

I agree that this specimen would have had a hell of a time with ear infections, not to mention balance, and hearing problems. The auditory canal is so low on this skull it's not even funny. I hope that it is evident from the pictures on the site I directed everyone to.

If there's a word that defines me, it is skeptical. I was interested in this project for a number of reasons, but the first and foremost was to create a likeness that was accurate, and not the same contrived Alien stuff everyone else has come up with. If you look at Lloyd's site, and check out the other artist's interpretations, they all seem to have the same look. Alien.

I myself am waiting to see what comes from the next round of tests, as they might shed some light on the true nature of this find. Imagine putting a face on something that is proved to be not of this earth. That's the other reason why I was interested in this project.

All things being what they are, everyone has opinions, and I went about my reconstruction with a grounding in reality more so than giving people the obvious alien grey.

It's good to know that other people have an interest in this, as I'd like to think this is one of the best pieces I've created to date.

Again, thanks for looking.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:47 AM
    link   
    From the time I had the casting made, to the time I finished the piece, is roughly 5 hours.

Apoxie Sculpt cures in roughly 3 hours depending on temperature.

It sounds funny, but I work fast. I video taped everything I did, and for long periods you see the sculpt waiting to be worked on while I talk to my cats.

I will be making a video of the entire process eventually. I have a short 4 minute video on Youtube right now.

Do a search for Starchild project, and you'll see it.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:16 AM
    link   
    A reconstruction such as this skull would be somehting that discovery channel or similar would be interested in, you should contact them

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:32 AM
    link   

Originally posted by tommychaos
    I just did the forensic reconstruction on The Starchild for Lloyd Pye. I am an artist, and now a forensic sculptor.

I thought I would share pictures, to see what kind of impressions you all might have of the face, and accuracy.

Thanks

Tommy Allison
    Mad Robot Studios
    www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy

I think it is looking pretty good Tommy. I appreciate your time and effort you have put into this.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:44 AM
    link   

Originally posted by tommychaosThe partial maxilla that I was sent had a portion of the orbit still attached

I'm intrigued -- I thought that they didn't let any of the material out of their possession? Has the skull been cut up? I believed that what they had (what they are showing) is a complete skull and not a partial skull. Can you clarify?

As far as the joints being robust enough, I would imagine that it would have been fine, however, I'm not entirely convinced that this deformity would have been detrimental. If you look at Progerians, you see a lot of similarities, which is what I based my finished sculpt on, as they have very similar features, and delicate bone structures.

An interesting and informed choice of models!

Like you, I'm skeptical, but I appreciate the amount of research and work you did. What would the model look like if you assumed it WAS a birth defect and the child was actually AmerInd?

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:49 AM
    link   

Originally posted by tommychaos

In the picture I've changed the skintone.

I'm just curious; how would have looked this 'alien' with slanted eyes and slit pupils (reptile like). Just a thought...

p.s. Well done Tom. Great Job !

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Telos]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:09 AM
    link   
    Great job Tommy and a most fasinating feild you are in.
    I watch many forensic shows about reconstruction and it's amazing what people like yourself can create.

Something is going on with that skull as the bone structure itself it very sharp and angular and the eye orbits are very small. Either this child was severly deformed in the face or.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join