It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Sorry to be off topic but this was just reported on the radio and the info is incomplete.

Kudo's to our News Network folk.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
17 other people in the hospital with gun shot wounds, 4 in surgery.

[edit on 16/4/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rai76

Originally posted by vor78

Originally posted by Valombre
An other shooting. I know that in the Us constitution there is something about the right to have firearm. It's good to go hunting, not to protect your family.... Police is there for that. See what looses guns are doing. 32 persons dead 21 wounded in a school. Really need a good firearm control legislation.

The police don't have the resources to protect most people living in the United States. The country is simply too large for it to realistically be possible. In many rural areas, if you have to call the police, you may be lucky if they show up 30 minutes later. That doesn't help a whole lot.

If there weren't so many guns, there would be so much to protect, so they have more time for you.

I disagree strongly with that. I live in a semi-rural area, in fact, an area where there are probably more guns than people. The crime rate, excluding petty thievery and drug abuse, is very, very low. This trend tends to hold true in ALL similar areas across the US. A big reason for that is that the criminals know that if they break into a house, they're probably going to be staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I feel soo bad for all the families and friends of those who died. This is shocking.

I am outraged too though.

1 shooter with 2 9mm. Low powered handguns with relatively low magazines.

1 death at 9ish then we waited 2 hr. and proceeded with classes.

Why where they in class if there is a shooter on the loose!!!!!

Who is this shooter?

I can say for my university which is prob around the same size as VT I think it would be hard to do this. Dorm rooms can be locked, and classrooms can be locked also. Is this the same with VT???

It is surprising that one guy with 2 9mm can shoot 53 people without any hinderance? I swear where are the cops or any type of emergency crews??

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Another tidbit it seems that helicopter emergency rescue efforts were not permitted due to the norEaster storm which is packing some serious winds, so no lifeflights (or whatever they call them there) were able to be used.

Also FYI 2 9MM handguns were recovered by police.

[edit on 2007/4/16 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
It is surprising that one guy with 2 9mm can shoot 53 people without any hinderance? I swear where are the cops or any type of emergency crews??

My thoughts exactly. I'm surprised a couple Hokie football players didn't try to level the guy and smash his head in.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Here we go again.

Too bad the sheeple of the UK apparently do not yet understand - that taking guns away from law-abiding citizens does not also take them away from criminals.

It just leaves the law abiding citizens defenseless, because - as every thinking person understands - the police investigate crimes that have already happened, they do not prevent crimes from happening.

If a couple of legally armed and trained citizens had been allowed to be there, this may well have been a much smaller tragedy. But no, the gun laws we already have in the U.S. just created a "target rich environment" for this nutcase.

[edit on 4/16/2007 by centurion1211]

that is why there hasn't been any school shootings since 1996 (the last one) and gun crime is on the decrease in the uk?

anyway what use is a gun for defence of ones home when we are liable for any injuries occurred to people who break in? we're allowed to use "reasonable" force and depending on the judge that could be beating the guy senseless or asking politely for them to put that tv back or you'll phone the police

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Here we go again.

Too bad the sheeple of the UK apparently do not yet understand - that taking guns away from law-abiding citizens does not also take them away from criminals.

It just leaves the law abiding citizens defenseless, because - as every thinking person understands - the police investigate crimes that have already happened, they do not prevent crimes from happening.

If a couple of legally armed and trained citizens had been allowed to be there, this may well have been a much smaller tragedy. But no, the gun laws we already have in the U.S. just created a "target rich environment" for this nutcase.

[edit on 4/16/2007 by centurion1211]

Im not a sheeple by choice, im FORCED to be in most ways beyond my control.

I completely agree with you 100% on your comments.

Banning guns only takes them from the law obiders, just the criminals have a problem with laws (oddly enough) and just like in the UK they will have guns if they can get hold of one.
If an armed man was to burst through my door now I have no chance to save myself, my pregnant wife and my daughter, If someone followed him in and shot him in the back of the head then I would be thankful that he had a gun to save the day, just a shame he would be locked up for murder and owning illegal firearms and if the intruder survived he would be compensated and given his own TV show.

I had a friend killed by a hit and run driver, shall we ban all cars too?

[edit on 16/4/07 by eagle32]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Ermm... did i say you couldn't express an opinion?

Not directly but by claiming you can express your opinion and I shouldn't dare to give my own opinion on your thoughts you are implying that I shouldn't express my opinion on your comments.

No i didn't either. like you, i feel this event is a tragedy and we've both expressed an opinon how it should be prevented in the future. Correct?

Yes it is a tragedy, but this has no consequence whatsoever on the right of Americans to bear arms, which is a right that noone should try to take away.

I fail to see how i have said that you cannot express a view. really i didn't.

You did say that "having a gun is for not any good cause"...

As a civilian i have owned firearms since 1998, and i have never thought about "killing people". The normal, law abiding citizens that own weapons don't have in mind any "evil cause to use them" but rather to defend themselves and it is an insult that anyone would claim "guns are not for any good intentions" when there are millions of law abiding citizens that are not criminals and would never think of doing something like what happened in that school.

if i did, i am sorry, but just cause i don't agree with you doesn't mean i have a "self righteousness" agenda.

When you claim anyone that has a gun "doesn't have any good intentions' you are saying the oposite to what you said above.

There are millions of women and men in the states who have a right to keep and bear arms and noone, much so someone who is not from that country should try to impose his/her view that hose people shouldn't have that right, or that "they don't have any good intentions by having firearms".

This is a right given by the Bill of Rights of the United States and should always stay that way.

I also do apologize if i was rash, but in most issues such as this one I am very resolute.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I know. I am not saying i would be a hero but I swear I would go down fighting. I can almost see peopel just sitting there in a highschool shooting. College students though i woudl think would be a bit bigger and more capible of tackign and subdueing this person.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Reported on FNC that cellphone service is on-off due to the massive amount of calls in and out of the area for obvious reasons. Just posting this just in case a member here is having difficulty in reaching their loved ones in the area.

Mother of student at VT said she talked to her daughter at 0900hrs and that they were informed of a killing but the campus was not locked down, even though the shooter was at large. The mother, a former FBI agent is wondering what most of us are, WHY? didn't they lock down the campus after the first shooting, especially with this new information that the suspect was STILL AT LARGE.... from FNC

Also FYI some of the people transported to the hospital were injuries sustained when trying to escape the killer by leaping from 2nd and 3rd story windows of the building.

[edit on 2007/4/16 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Matter has been solved via U2U

--Delete--

[edit on 16-4-2007 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I know. I am not saying i would be a hero but I swear I would go down fighting. I can almost see peopel just sitting there in a highschool shooting. College students though i woudl think would be a bit bigger and more capible of tackign and subdueing this person.

I've been through some related training, and I don't think you understand or are taking into consideration the shock value of something like this happeneing. The average person will simply panic and freeze, and then it will be too late to do any "tackling".

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
ATTN EVERYONE

Leave this thread open for news coming in, discussion and analyses,and questions.

If you would liek to debate the issue of gun control please refer it to this thread.

www.abovepolitics.com...

Please try to keep this thread on track.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yes, it's easy to say all the things you'd do right now, sitting on the computer, but if it really happened to you all the stuff you think you'd do would go out the window.

[edit on 16/4/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
And back to the main news story...

Does anyone know the official amount of people injured/killed?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
last time i heard, it was 32 dead.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I hope you and I are wrong about this, but with the media machine they tend to create news instead of reporting it these days.

Melbourne Australia August 9, 1987. Julian Knight goes on shooting spree with a Mossberg repeating shotgun and an M-14 semi-automatic. He kills 6 people and injures 46 before being arrested after a failed suicide attempt. British newspapers report the event on August 10th and 11th under the glorified title 'Rambo Sniper on the Loose Kills 6'. August 12th - Michael Ryan attempt to purchase a M-14 but settles for an M-1 rifle. August 19 Ryan embarked on the Hungerford massacre in which 16 people were shot dead.

March 13 1996 Thomas Hamilton shoots dead 16 primary school children and their teacher. The terrible event makes international news. April 29 1996, Martin Bryant shoots dead 20 customers in the Broad Arrow Cafe and kills a further 12 people in streets of Port Arthur, Tasmania.

April 20, 1999 - the Columbine Massacre -- April 28 1999, Taber, Canada 14-year-old school boy shoots dead pupil and injures another. The killer wore a trenchcoat as described in the media reports of the Columbine massacre...

There are many more examples of the media coverage of serious crimes inspiring copycat events and they generally occur within a few days of the main event..

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Injured victim describes what he went through
describes shooter as 20s asian man in maroon hat
www.liveleak.com...

[edit on 16/4/07 by eagle32]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
True, but like I said before, if you're cornered and pretty much know you're going to die, basic human instinct is to do everything in your power to keep that from happening, just like cornering a wild animal. I mean this guy was able to reload many times. It takes a little time to reload even if you have loaded magazines strapped to your vest. That's just one gun, this maniac had two, so he was two fisting it, even more difficult to reload. It just doesn't add up.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join