It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you help settle a new planet?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yes when single.
Yes with Family ( if they agreed ).

I'd like to think if we could entertain travel to 400 LY away, our tech would be greatly advanced and current paranoid suppressive states of government would no longer exist.

To be part of something that may help humanity branch out - it will be my pleasure and honor.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I am a parent and I would definitely go. It would give me a chance to instill a good sense into my son without him being subjegated to being a zombie like the masses of today. I would definitely jump at the chance.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think that the social engineers would have a field day trying to select a population that would work together once they got to the planet.

You would need people with different skill sets but I think that there view of what life should be would have to be somewhat similar.

You couldn't form a government if the social ideals of the community were too different from one another.

In the best of all possibilities, you could create a wonderful place to live.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I would go... even if I was married and my wife and children said no.

It may sound cruel to leave your wife and children behind, but if it is a "once in a life-time oppertunity"... then I would leave them (if they decided to stay).

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
No. I am a bit paranoid of cyro suspension after watching "aliens 4" where a group of pirates sneaked up and hijacked a colony ship (I think..) full of cyro suspensioned colonist and sold them to a research station. On the plus side, you may die without feeling anything....

At the rate our technology is going, imagine going into cyro suspension for 400 years only to find out when you reach the planet that it has already been colonzied by your own people using a technological breakthrough that beats you to it. A wasted 400 year old trip.

On the plus side, you get to witness new technology that you could never have imagined, and possibly never understand even after trying to learn about it. You may also get honoured for being a brave pioneer and taking one for the human race. A hero for taking that risk.

The risk of not coming back is a risk I am willing to take but using cyro just gives me the creeps.

In my opinion, cyro should only be used when all else fails and you have nothing to lose. I don't like using cyro if I had a choice. I guess I am just too much of a paranoid control freak to like that idea useing it for space travel over long distances as a first choice option.

I would only risk it if planet Earth was going to be destroyed, or the sun going super nova and anything along those lines.

I am betting on better technology then using cyro.

[edit on 28-3-2007 by ixiy]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm not married, I don't have kids. I'm 16 years old . So, I would definetly take this oppurtunity, unless of course there is some kind of age limit like 21 or older, I've always dreamed of visiting another planet.

[edit on 28-3-2007 by Striker122]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Are you taking names? Put my wife and I on the list, we need some seeds of the two cane plant but other then that we are ready to Go,

"The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us shall escape to the stars....."

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yes only if it's Earthlike. I would not go to some rock and live underground. This shows the value of our planet

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Imagine for a moment that you’ve been selected to immigrate to a new earth like planet that has been discovered. The probe that returned states that the planet has abundant natural resources and should be perfect for colonization. If you’re married, your spouse and children are included. It’s quite an honor to be among the first group of settlers selected.

The question is “Would you choose to go?”

I would probably go, but I would like to make sure that we wouldn't just trash another planet, and do the things we are doing on earth, on another world.

Right now, one planet with humans on it is bad enough.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
"The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us shall escape to the stars....."

Interesting take on an old saying and I think one of the results of the alien metaphysics cropping up everywhere. To hell with the meek, ubermensch to the stars. Funny, but it's one of those things that make you go hum.

Would I colonize another planet? How do you think I got here?
This rock is a space ship, let's roll.

What a good point about arriving to discover your descendants already there. Maybe the travel isn't strictly linear.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
400 years is a long time - so i do agree with the `getting there to find it colonized allready` part

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   
So we're talking about a planet that was discovered by a probe launched from Earth roughly a thousand years earlier?

And the information sent back to earth by the probe is 400 years out of date?

Hmm.

Well, at least you eager colonists will be able to console yourselves that if, after a millennium of interstellar exploration, mankind still hasn't found a means of superluminal transportation, there probably isn't one.

So you probably won't find your descendants waiting for you at the spaceport.

You might, however, find some alien colonists from the system next door. They'll have had anything up to four hundred years to settle down and they may not be too keen to share their real estate with you and your family. On the other hand, they may make good eating.

But would I go?

It would depend, above all, on my social status and position in the new colony.

If I had to pitch in with the sturdy yeoman types, digging ditches and installing space elevator cables, then the answer would be an emphatic 'no'. I'm too old for that kind of thing and never had the build for it anyway.

If, on the other hand, my professional abilities and such talents as I possess were deemed useful enough on the new world to afford me the same status, respect and sexual opportunities I enjoy on this one, you may ship me out on the next interstellar wagon-lit and I'll take my leave singing. Just make sure that my books, music and the contents of my cellar accompany me, together with sufficient numbers of nubile female colonists half my age and a plentiful supply of the appropriate recreational substances.

I'll expect a demesne of suitable size, naturally, and quarters in the style to which one has grown accustomed. Perhaps some of those sturdy young colonists can be put to work building it.

Yes... under those circumstances I would certainly consider emigrating.

After all, what's a little hardship?

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
well i'm sick of planet earth so yeah!

unfortunately though we live in a boring era and can't leave therefore we are all stuck here and going to rot in this planets stinking soil

[edit on 29-3-2007 by st3ve_o]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well, at the very least, in less than 5 years everyone will have the opportunity to travel into space via Virgin. Provided you can pay for the ticket that is.

I would venture to guess that if we were going to colonize a new planet there would be more than one ship. Probably an armada of several ranging from giant cargo ships to people transports. I also believe there would be allot of private enterprise involved and quite possibly all private.

I would go because someone needs to be President of the new planet...

Of course we would probably get there and find the planet already loaded with Lawyers.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
A couple of problems with this..

Do you really think the same space agencies are going to being around in 400 years? What if something on Earth goes horribly wrong, ie comet, plague, world war and you're left drifting through space only to reach the new planet and there's no support from Earth?

Is the idea behind the colonization to go there and enver hear from Earth again? Or what?

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
My concept is that the ship would have to be large enough to take the people and supplies necessary to start a new civilization. The group would essentially be on it's own once it got to the planet.

For sake of this discussion, the planet would have to be earth like and capable of supporting life.

Ultimately the success or failure of the group would be determined by the group. This also assumes that there are no obstacles so large that it kills the entire group.

If you're 400 light years away from earth and you have slower than light speed transoportation, help isn't going to reach the planet for a long long time.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
thats hard.if i wasnt married hell yea
but if im maried with children i doubt i will leave them
if i take them with me i dont know about risking theyr lifes,but that is theyr decision i guess

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hey, the Robinson family traveled around the universe all the time and the only problems they usually had were getting fuel and Dr. Smith's scheming.

Obviously once you start you will get no support from earth unless they send out a group of settlers every couple of days. It makes sense to have back ups.

Like I said though, it will probably be a corporate venture.

Another issue that I saw someone else touch on is advancing technology. Imagine you're going along for 200 light years or so and then someone from the future earth zooms by you with a faster craft. That would blow!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I would definetly go. If I had a wife I would do my very best to convince her to do it. If I had children it would not be their choice. Ofcourse if I thought the venture was doomed I wouldn't partake. However there will always be some risk in space travel. Aside from the potential of a future family of my own there really isn't anything on Earth that I'm too attatched to-to leave. (at least there won't be in a few years, I should say)

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'am packed and ready to go.

Should I wait outside my front door to be picked up, or can you give me an address to proceed too?

I wear a size 58 hat, and would favour a light blue flight suit.

Will there be smokes and beer available when I wake up from Cryo ?

See you there.

Seeker PI

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join