It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you help settle a new planet?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'd go in a heartbeat. So what if there's unknown risks involved? None of us get out of this life alive anyways. Just one question, do I still have to file an income tax return if I'm not physically on Earth?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the IRS would have a special exemption until such time that the earth federation was capable of getting the taxes back to earth.

Thanks for the good laugh .

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
The question is “Would you choose to go?”

Yup Sure Would LOL but I think I will take the Stargate... its a lot faster and I can return for R&R

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by hlesterjerome
I would absolutly go, if I could talk my wife into it, which I doubt.

Of course, She's recently said She's move to New Mexico. (I LOVE the desert).

Well that would be conveinient then as Albuquerque is building that new 200 billion dollar space port and Space Ship one will call it home...

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
Are you taking names? Put my wife and I on the list, we need some seeds of the two cane plant but other then that we are ready to Go,

"The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us shall escape to the stars....."

No not taking names but if you want here is a listing of Space Command opportunities (two pages) They are bigger than you think...

landoflegends.us...
landoflegends.us...

And one department has a really cool patch...

The regular new emblem looks like the Star Trek pin....

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Ok like seriously i couldn't survive. No way in hell would i go. Who's going to manufacture the CPU's for the new computers? Who's going to build new computers? Where are the parts coming from? Who's going to create the new movies to watch? Who's going to create the new high tech computer games? Who's going to supply the cement to build the new structures? Where's the metal going to come from?

Seriously...

No chance in hell will i leave the comfort of my home, to sit in front of the computer, playing video games, chatting on the net. imagine NOnet. Etc.

Life would be hell. Hell i say!.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Ok like seriously i couldn't survive. No way in hell would i go. Who's going to manufacture the CPU's for the new computers? Who's going to build new computers? Where are the parts coming from? Who's going to create the new movies to watch? Who's going to create the new high tech computer games? Who's going to supply the cement to build the new structures? Where's the metal going to come from?

Seriously...

No chance in hell will i leave the comfort of my home, to sit in front of the computer, playing video games, chatting on the net. imagine NOnet. Etc.

Life would be hell. Hell i say!.

So as a slave to technology and greed of corporate that's the reason ?

Personally id go if i didn't have children or a wife unless it was just me and wife and we didn't have children and she wanted to go as well, the only thing that would worry me is if the project failed like a shortage of food and water or disease then it would be everyone for themselves and all hell would brake lose and at the end of the day all this would be run by big corporate business not NASA and what do business do when a investment goes belly up the right it off, which would mean if the project did fail and mass riots started they'd just give it up as a bad idea and leave everyone to there own devices

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Great post

Seems to me that most people would go if they were single.

I would go tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Actually rethinking it through who ever ran this type of venture would need families to go more children to carry on the next generation so id expect a plan of.

1. send in teams to get the basically facilities in i.e Water purification, police/army, support groups(information centres, Training centres), Hospitals, get in stockpiles of food and all the things they would need to start growing there own ready for single people then the family's. also at the time this is happening there going to have tech to suspend life so bring in livestock.

2. get single people in with designated land for them. get them started on there jobs.

3. Then send families in with there designated land. then they start what they were assigned to do.

4. then get everyone working on what they were designated for like Food, crafts, engineering, doctors, nurses basically everything a new colony would need to sustain themselves.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Too right I'd go!

Though I've read enough books and watched enough movies to know that the first settlers of a new planet almost always die horribly.

Meh, worth the risk I guess.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Too right I'd go!

Though I've read enough books and watched enough movies to know that the first settlers of a new planet almost always die horribly.

Meh, worth the risk I guess.

Ive read Peter F Hamilton's nights dawn trilogy, that's based around colonization of a planet, but they use convicts to do the dirty work, one of the convicts is sort of a religious nutter that forms a group and they escape
kill a guy during a ritual, but at the time there's a entity from a ancient race in energy form that's watching and gets tangled up in it all, which results in it opening a rent in time/space were all the souls of dead people are, some come through and take over the bodies of the convicts and all hell breaks lose.. its a Scifi/horror book, but its more scifi than horror so you have space ships, worm holes etc

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Yes, I'd go and then I would hijack whatever craft would take us there and fly it into the sun. Humans should not be contaminating other planets.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Typical of the sort of person we should leave behind!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by u4ria

Youre damn right.

I tell you what i love. Constantly evolving technology. Hearing about science discoveries, learning things new, driving my car at full pace on the freeway listening to some music, going into the city or surf coast, catch some waves or walk down queen street mall and just seeing poeple enjoying themselves, then walking down to adelaide street and heading intot he cyber cafe for a game of counter-strike or c&C 3, and fragging poeple online, I'm a fan of going to the movies, i love my action flicks..

And while i dont like the greed of the corporate life, there is one thing i do like and that is city life, being able to walk down the street and just flow into the crowd.

Moving to a new planet and there being no metro? no civilisation? no thanks. What would we be doing for the first at least 10 years or more? building roads, building fences, building houses, doing hugely labourious work. I'm no road builder. I have soft office worker hands ;-P

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Too right I'd go!

LOL thats easy to fix... sign up on the second wave
after the first wave has subdued the natives and left an infra structure. The first wave will be to busy surviving to have time for any fun exploration anyway...

And as to those techno junkies that can't unplug their Ipods... You have become nice complacent Lemmings and the Government loves you for it
Just keep paying your taxes so we can build spaceships

As to prisoners, that is actually not a bad idea... Britain did that with Australia and it worked out quite well... We could be nice though and make it voluntary... Rot in Jail or Get a job off world...

Sorry, no seats available for Reptilians...

[edit on 12-4-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

Youre damn right.

I tell you what i love. Constantly evolving technology. Hearing about science discoveries, learning things new, driving my car at full pace on the freeway listening to some music, going into the city or surf coast, catch some waves or walk down queen street mall and just seeing people enjoying themselves, then walking down to adelaide street and heading intot he cyber cafe for a game of counter-strike or c&C 3, and fragging poeple online, I'm a fan of going to the movies, i love my action flicks..

And while i dont like the greed of the corporate life, there is one thing i do like and that is city life, being able to walk down the street and just flow into the crowd.

Moving to a new planet and there being no metro? no civilisation? no thanks. What would we be doing for the first at least 10 years or more? building roads, building fences, building houses, doing hugely labourious work. I'm no road builder. I have soft office worker hands ;-P

But by the time this was achievable, we would all have the option for wet wired tech, so have a piece of wet wire installed in to the brain, which would be connected to all the senses so games, movies browsing the web could be done sat in a chair with no equipment in front of you because it would be part of you!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I assume that the ships computers would continue to download things from earth so by the time you got to the planet, you'd have a 400 year backlog of cool movies.

The challenge to me would be to make it past the first few years without regressing to a primitive level.

You'd want to have enough supplies on the ship to start a civilization and you'd want a mix of people that would be capable of working together to build the things that would be necessary.

You'd need power, food, shelter, some manufactureing capability all pretty quit or you might not make it.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

But by the time this was achievable, we would all have the option for wet wired tech, so have a piece of wet wire installed in to the brain, which would be connected to all the senses so games, movies browsing the web could be done sat in a chair with no equipment in front of you because it would be part of you!

Well in that case hell yeah i'd go.

Set myself up with a big chunk of fertile land, clear away most of the trees of course, start a plantation of different sorts of vegies and fruits, Get some cattle growing, sheep, cows, horses, kangaroos. I'll also create a pub in town.

Oh yeah and the house that the housing commision is going to build me will be as big as i can possibly get. you know.... Like those big ass mansions that the settlers in australia made with the convicts as slave labour ;-P

Then a big ass pub (for future generations of course and with some roos up top like a hotel for travelers passing through

;-P

But most likelyl no chance in hell i will be a farmer. I'd just have some land to myself, some cattle, sheep, chickens, (not large amounts). do some own backyard vegie growing. I'll be the sherrif in town.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by DaRAGE]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I think I would, but it would depend if I were to be the FIRST of the people to arrive and do initial installation, set up etc... or if it were me moving into a new settled community. I don't really have any skills that I could bring with me to help out though, so I guess I'd be stuck farming.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
You may not have any skills but as long as you were healthy, quick to learn they probably have training courses for every thing you could think of that would be useful to help colonize the planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join