It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cascades - Disturbing Activity at St Helens & Rainier!!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarmoniusOne

Originally posted by Valhall
Woa!....There's been a significant event at Mt. Rainier unconnected with MSH!

originally posted on 10/14/04 at 10:39 PM Post Number: 870823 (post id: 891517)
We appear to have had an earthquake just after 9 pm PDT that showed up on 15 of the 18 active stations in the PNS Network. However this one does not seem to have come from MSH as the readings there are smaller than other stations.

PNSN www.geophys.washington.edu...

There was also an earthquake registering M 6.6 in Taiwan at about the same time.

Taiwan earthquake.usgs.gov...

I've seen events similar to this a few times over the past couple of weeks. Obviously Taiwan is too far away for an earthquake to register. So I was wondering if there is any connection. Just how connected is the ring of fire?

With this and rumors about yellowstone and other places in the ring of fire, I think it would be prudent to keep an eye on things. What do you think?

Tonight:
Also does anyone know how the seismographs work really? I am seeing the same patterns recurring repeatedly and am curious about what exactly is causing this.

Here is a link to the USGS Volcano Observatory' Seismograph page. It gives you crash course in "seismograms 101" to help learn how to differentiate between the different kinds of quakes. I hope it helps!!

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

As far as the activity, it seems like the Cascades have been pretty active to me also, but I don't know how out of the norm it is, since I just starting looking at them when St Helens woke up. They say that all the other mountains are at normal background activity, but Mt Constitution, Rockport, and Haystack Pk sure have been active lately, and it looks like more than "background activity" to me. It would be nice if we had a real geologist on this forum so that they could clarify what is normal activity for the Cascades!!

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by magickalworld

Here is a link to the USGS Volcano Observatory' Seismograph page.

Thank you! I'll see if I can figure this out.

They say that all the other mountains are at normal background activity, but Mt Constitution, Rockport, and Haystack Pk sure have been active lately, and it looks like more than "background activity" to me.

I agree. Way too much.

It would be nice if we had a real geologist on this forum so that they could clarify what is normal activity for the Cascades!!

We had a guy who said he was hre to answer questions but he left pretty quickly. I feel so.....unfulfilled!!

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I'm sure Harmoniusone and I can give up to date information on th events. We will search local news and provide pictures when prudent!

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thanks to you both!! Rockport and Haystack Peak are both rocking again right now......

P.S. I apologize for the multiple posts on the last question; I'm new and just figuring out how everything works!!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Mount Constitution is a rockin' and a rollin' again!! Check it out!!

www.geophys.washington.edu...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Has anyone else noticed that almost all of the volcanos in the cascades are starting to "wake up"? Also, since it was on the news that there was an earthquake on the new madrid yesterday, I was checking out the seismographs. The news said it was a 2.5, but the seismographs said it was a 4.2. I noticed also that there were about 80 earthquakes in the past 24 hours just in the US alone (this does not include the cascade range, they said there were too many there to bother posting). I thought that was kind of high so I looked up what the normal was and the USGS said that it was normal to have 35 a day. Does any one else find this odd? I talked to my Dad today and he heard some geologist on the news say that Mt. Rainier was starting to smoke. I could not find any information about that though.

Anyway, here is the site I've been watching though it is probably already posted somewhere.

www.pnsn.org/WEBICORDER/GREEN/welcome.html

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Hi....Yes, HarmoniousOne and I have been discussing this at length....Maybe you could ask your Dad to have the geologist he knows come onto this forum so we could ask him questions.....Many of us have been questioning all the activity in the Cascades lately.....I was wondering what geologists mean by some of the activity could be "storm noise".....Maybe you could ask if you wouldn't mind?
Thanks!!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Nevermind....Your Dad saw him on the news!! Must be the medication I'm taking!! LOL!!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
some geologist on the news say that Mt. Rainier was starting to smoke.

SMOKE?

If Rainier really has started to smoke... Panic!

This also look like increased Rainier activity :
Oct 22. Camp Shurman, Mount Rainier

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
MSH has a new lava dome that extends 330 feet and is hot enough to glow. USGS scientists are stating the exposed rock is some where between 750 and 950 F.

www.cnn.com...

And it still seems to percolating along at a consistent beat:

Cedar Flats

South Ridge

June Lake

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Did you guys see this on today's Cascades Update:

Mount Rainier earthquake sequence: A sequence of about 18 earthquakes was recorded yesterday between 10:00 and 12:00 PST at Mount Rainier. The largest event, magnitude 3.2, occurred at 11:23, and was located at a depth of 1.6 kilometers in an area of persistent seismicity just south of the summit. Such earthquake sequences constitute typical behavior at Mount Rainier. The last one occurred in February 2002.

Check out the October 3 - Nov 4 Seismicity Map from the PNW Seismograph Network:

www.geophys.washington.edu...

Looks like Rainier is starting to act up!!

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I have'nt seen anything about Rainier smoking. Can anyone else verify? MSH just keeps on growing.... One day she's gonna pop! There has been alot of activity mentioned lately. Something is going on but no one really knows what. The thing that worries me is I was talking to a friend of mine on line who told me that the government isnt going to tell us if anything is happening because they are afraid we will panic. People wont pay there mortgages and the rest of their bills if they are busy running away. And then he said not to worry cuz the prez has saved plenty of troops for our area. (He does deployment) Now....to clarify....this doen't mean that the government knows something they aren't telling us. At least not that I know of. Just that they wont tell us if they do. So we will have to watch out for ourselves. As usual.

Is the activity in the ring of fire above normal?
It seems logical that volcanos are interconnected. Is it reasonable to assume that if MSH goes, others in the PNW will too?
Obviously there is a long history of events at Yellowstone but lately we are hearing more about it. Is this just a natural cycle of activity? Or is our super volcano also acting up?
Are all these events related? And if so.....what does this mean for the northwest and surrounding areas?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
It seems to me that there has been more activity than usual in the ring of fire, and it seems to be most active from California to Japan.....

Even though the USGS is part of the Federal Government, I'll bet that if something were going to happen and the Bush Admin told them to keep a lid on it, that more than a couple of scientists would disregard what the government says, and warn people. I think that is why a lot of them go into the field. And face it, Bush is not exactly popular with the scientists of today. And another thing to think about....It's not only the U.S. that is monitoring these events. Many other countries, particularly the U.K. and Canada are also involved, and they are not obligated to listen to Bush & Co. Most scientists get involved in their fields for the greater good of the planet and all the creatures that live on it. Not even the Bush Admin could prevent them from warning us. The science is more important that the cash....

E_T

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

I was wondering what geologists mean by some of the activity could be "storm noise"...

Well, on weekend I was in meeting of Finnish stormchasers where we watched some documents about tornadoes...
In one document there was about new way to detect tornadoes. (detecting/forecasting them from radar pics is impossible)
They used some devices which were like seismometers, they said that even small tornadoes shows on seismographs like 50 ton truck driving near it.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Even though the USGS is part of the Federal Government, I'll bet that if something were going to happen and the Bush Admin told them to keep a lid on it, that more than a couple of scientists would disregard what the government says, and warn people.

Good point.... I didn't think about other countries warning us. I did think about the scienists though. Just not sure these days ya know?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarmoniusOne
I have'nt seen anything about Rainier smoking. Can anyone else verify?

My Dad said he saw it on the news, But I think he was full of it. Sorry about that. I checked into it when he said that and there was quite a bit of activity that day, but no mention of it smoking.

I saw that Alabama and Colorado both had 4.0 earthquakes on the morning of the 7th. (same night we saw the arora ). I didnt know they had earthquakes.

Cant help but wonder what the earth is doing right now. It is too odd not to pay attention.

I didnt mean for this to go on and on as a quote but I dont know how to make it stop

[edit on 9-11-2004 by mrsdudara]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hey ET, did they happen to tell you if a regular windstorm or thunderstorm can show up on a seismograph? If so, did they say how you can differentiate between normal seismic or harmonic tremors and "storm noise" on the seismograph?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Here is a link to an article in the Seattle Post on Mt Rainier....Sounds like they are keeping a close eye on her.....

www.stevequayle.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
HOLY MoF

What the heck happened earlier today at Rainier!!!!

Fremont Webicorder first half of day

Fremont Webicorder second half of day

And to show that the activity does not correlate with MSH:

Cedar Flats first half of day

Cedar Flats second half of day

Triple-dipple frizzle my snizzle

RUN AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
OH MY GOSH....yesterday was WORSE!!!!!!

Look what happened! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Fremont last half of yesterday

no correlation to MSH!!!!

MSH same time

RUN AWAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join