It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: "JeanLucPicard" member banned.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
As a test to avoid "board drama", we'll try announcing when members are banned. The user "JeanLucPicard" has been banned. Previously, this user was the much maligned "DavidBieniek" who was banned for repeatedly posting overtly false information and engaging in an elaborate (but poorly planned) effort to deceive our members. He was allowed to return as "JeanLucPicard" under permanent probation as a condition (Simon and myself were involved). Recently, he has been observed impersonating ATS staff on at least two other XMB discussion boards. He has refused to stop, and unfortunately has been banned. We should have followed our gut, and simply not allowed him back after his episode as DavidBieniek.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I thought that something like this would happen sooner or later.

All his computer help line threads were getting annoying anyways.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wish I could say I was surprised.... With such a flagrant violation of the rules during his first incarnation, I kept being surprised by continuously seeing his name....
See what happens when you go soft?

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
this may sound strange but although I never came across DavidBieniek there was something about posts from JeanLucPicard that just irritated me. I can't put my finger on it. Any threads seemed to be one line questions that seemed to be just fired off without any thought behind them and although he seemed to know about computers I didn't really detect much intellegence there ( not that I've got much room to talk) Like the time he moaned about a post about valhalls mystic fish in BTS
I've never had a problem with any other members but he just didn't seem right.
I don't usually like getting personal and if I'm out of line then please deleat my post.
just getting it off my chest.

(sorry valhall , spelt your name wrong)

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by pantha]

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yeah, that one instance where Jean jumped Nan's butt because she asked about Fred in BTS was a bit disturbing.

But I wouldn't guess him to be the big fat fake DB!

LOL

turdhead.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Nope. me neither...definitely a different posting style....got to give him props for that...

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
As a test to avoid "board drama", we'll try announcing when members are banned.

I don't think banning this particular member will cause much drama
Nor do I think he will be missed.

But thanks anyway, nice initiative, it's cool that people get to know when and why other peoples are banned.

he has been observed impersonating ATS staff on at least two other XMB discussion boards

Geez, so you really got the "All seeing Eye" working for you, huh? (not talking about the Moderator - no pun intented)

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   

As a test to avoid "board drama", we'll try announcing when members are banned.

Ah, I am very happy about this.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 05:27 PM
link   
All I can say is GOOD. I really don't know what you let that guy back in the first place, he really pissed everyone off. I suppose everyone deserves a second chance

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   
JeanLucPicard is banned,
(He was totally different since name change..)

But Laxpla is still here..

WTG.. not!

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:05 PM
link   
How could you find out it was the same guy if it was on a different board? IP checks with the admins of the other boards? Looking at where images were hosted from?

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
How could you find out it was the same guy if it was on a different board? IP checks with the admins of the other boards? Looking at where images were hosted from?

Are you doing research so you can come back as someone else?

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Can he at least visit the board? Just observe without posting anything?

I liked the name.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Losonczy
Are you doing research so you can come back as someone else?
Nope. I'm quite curious as to how anybody could pinpoint who the imposter was without being an admin/mod at another board. If I wanted to do the same, I would use an anonymous proxy and nobody would know who I was.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The same email address... kano was the sleuth on that

Originally posted by heelstone

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Can he at least visit the board? Just observe without posting anything?

I think all banned members can do that. (correct me if I'm wrong) Unless they ban IP or MAC address, they should be able to. If they do what I said above, then the ex-member would have to use some stealthing technic before visiting, but he would only have visitors rights.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
The same email address... kano was the sleuth on that

Heh. True that most sites hide your email address these days. So I'm sure he thought he was in the clear.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I thought DavidBeitnek was gone for sure. I didn't know he came back as jeanlucbicard either. Good thing he got banned though because the dude couldn't take a hint. We don't need people like that in our ATS family. Good job Head Honcho/mods.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I recently received this disturbing e-mail:

Hello,

I am a SuperModerator at the forums at ZENHEX.com

and one of our members recently posted a thread asking for help to hack into the account on your site called "SkepticOverlord", and claims his name on your site is "JeanLucPicard"

I just wanted to warn you, incase this dude really does take action, he may just be joking around or what not, but an admin on our site was recently hacked, and I personally don't want to see it happen to anyone elses!

you can also view his thread here

www.zenhex.com...

Thanks,

feel free to e-mail me back if you have any questions or concerns!

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 02:30 AM
link   
That cheap ass mofo. I wasnt here when DavidBieniek was here....but it cant be any worse than this. Whats wrong with this dude? Does he seriously have some sort of disability or problem?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join