It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm sick of whiney actors.....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I am absolutely fed up with whiney spoiled actors who insist on imposing upon the public what their worthless and mundane opinions are on world events. Actors, such as Sean Penn; Susan Sarandon; Tim Robins; Alec Baldwin; Harry Belafonte; Jane Fonda (just to name a few) who use their fame and notoriety to foist their unsolicited opinions upon the general public. Don’t get me wrong: They are completely entitled to their opinions! But they use their fame, a status they’ve achieved in part because of me and others who spent our money to go see their films, to influence otherwise meek sheeple that theirs’ (opinion) is something to espouse. That’s the problem: There are people who don’t understand that an opinion is just that regardless of whose ass it comes from and because someone famous spews it that it somehow has more meaning or is more legitimate.

I suggest if they want to make their opinions public that they put their name on a ticket somewhere and run for public office. Otherwise; they should keep their little opinions in their own little circles and keep their mouths shut in the public forum; stay on the silver screen; and utter not one sound other than what they read from a script.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum
Don’t get me wrong: They are completely entitled to their opinions! But they use their fame,

And isn't that what anyone does? Aren't you using your membership here where you have a fairly wide audience to voice your opinion? Why don't you just sit in your room and voice your opinion instead of coming on here and telling as many people who will listen?

That’s the problem: There are people who don’t understand that an opinion is just that...

Well, then they're stupid. It's not the fault of the actors that people are stupid and they shouldn't feel any obligation to keep their opinions to themselves because people are stupid enough to think it matters.

they should keep their little opinions in their own little circles and keep their mouths shut in the public forum;

You're asking them to do what you are not willing to do! You're on a public forum and I have no doubt that you would tell the world your opinion if you had the opportunity.

I notice you didn't mention vocal conservatives Bruce Willis or Ted Nugent and their "worthless and mundane" opinions.

Nobody is IMPOSING their opinions. We all have a right to voice our opinions to as many people as we can get to listen.
Nobody is foisting opinions or forcing anyone to listen.

Oh, if only you could control people...

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And isn't that what anyone does? Aren't you using your membership here where you have a fairly wide audience to voice your opinion? Why don't you just sit in your room and voice your opinion instead of coming on here and telling as many people who will listen?

Thanks for replying.

It's not the same thing. For one thing; I am a "nobody" and you and others have no idea what reputation, if any, I have. And what ever legitimacy or reputation I do have, I got on my own. Not from people paying to see anything I created (ie: movies).

Well, then they're stupid. It's not the fault of the actors that people are stupid and they shouldn't feel any obligation to keep their opinions to themselves because people are stupid enough to think it matters.

It's the fault of the actors who are using their notoriety for the purpose foisting their views. I think there are lot of people who are duly influenced by notoriety and give a lot of legitimacy to actors for their notoriety.

they should keep their little opinions in their own little circles and keep their mouths shut in the public forum;

You're asking them to do what you are not willing to do! You're on a public forum and I have no doubt that you would tell the world your opinion if you had the opportunity.

You're correct: I am on a "public forum" where opinions are not only expected, but rewarded as well (ATS points). Unless an actor is invited on a particular show and specifically asked for his/her opinion, spewing opinions at an arranged media event goes way beyond the example of ATS.

I notice you didn't mention vocal conservatives Bruce Willis or Ted Nugent and their "worthless and mundane" opinions.

I am not aware of any unsolicited opinions being expressed by them. Maybe you can provide an example of such here. In any case; if they did foist unsolicited opinions in the public eye the same applies for them: Get back on your reality show/stage and shut the hell up!!

Nobody is IMPOSING their opinions. We all have a right to voice our opinions to as many people as we can get to listen.

If it's unsolicited; it is imposing. If I stood in front of your home carrying a sign with political statements I would be imposing my views on you. Because opinions are expected here on ATS, it is not impositional. An actor using his/her notoriety to reach a large audience (something I am unable to do and wouldn't do it if I could) is not only impositional; it's also cheesy

Nobody is foisting opinions or forcing anyone to listen.

They are imposing their opinions but a I do agree that no one is being forced to listen. I do change the channel when one of these nimrods start spouting off. And I've made a choice to not see movies made by these actors; which is unfortunate because some of these movies are pretty good.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Freedom ... I can't believe you forgot the biggest pain in the backend hollywierdo of all - Rosie O'Donnel! She is, hands down, the worst of the bunch.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

If it's unsolicited; it is imposing. If I stood in front of your home carrying a sign with political statements I would be imposing my views on you.

No you wouldn't! Have you read the first amendment? There's nothing about unsolicited opinions.

I'm sorry, I have a hard time believing you really would have people (regardless who they are) keep their opinions to themselves. I guess your user name is a little more literal than I thought.

FF, you have email, right?

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Freedom ... I can't believe you forgot the biggest pain in the backend hollywierdo of all - Rosie O'Donnel! She is, hands down, the worst of the bunch.

I agree; but I'm not aware of her saying much other than what she says on The view. But if she has foisted her muddle-minded thoughts upon the public in the same manner as the others then the same goes for her.

BTW: I know I've missed others. If you can think of more names, certainly add them here!

[edit on 24-3-2007 by Freedom_for_sum]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

If it's unsolicited; it is imposing. If I stood in front of your home carrying a sign with political statements I would be imposing my views on you.

No you wouldn't! Have you read the first amendment? There's nothing about unsolicited opinions.

BH;

We're not discussing whether they have the right to express themselves. The issue for me (and what we're discussing) is that they are using their fame, a status that I, in part, helped them achieve, to widely diseminate opinions that I personally have no interest in knowing. I don't give a crap what they think and when I'm watching the evening news I consider it an incredible waste of time when these actors opinions are aired.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I get a little tired of them too.
But, they have the right to say it..Even if they have a bigger soapbox than the rest of us.

Having said that, they should also be prepared for repercussions.
They may get fired, they might lose money at the box office, or on the concert tour.

Thats one thing "WE" have on them. We can vote on their opinions, with our wallets.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Is this about what they speak out about? Or the fact they can do it at all. I also find it a bit annoying sometimes. But, this is a basic American right protected by the First Amendment. Even thought heir agendas may seem trivial to most. It is their right. Damn... I am turning into a Constitutionalist.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Is this about what they speak out about? Or the fact they can do it at all.

Frequently it's both!! It's bad enough that they foist their opinions; it's even worse that their opinions are extreme liberal.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Frequently it's both!! It's bad enough that they foist their opinions; it's even worse that their opinions are extreme liberal.

Now the truth comes out. If these same actors and notables were espousing your Conservative view point this thread would never have been started.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If these same actors and notables were espousing your Conservative view point this thread would never have been started.

I bet you're right.

Get back on your reality show/stage and shut the hell up!!

It's like you don't think celebrities are real people. They are under no obligation to stay pigeonholed as actors and never speak unless there's a script in their hands.

And if you don't want them speaking their opinions on things after you have partially helped make them famous, then you're going to have to quit watching TV and movies and withdraw your support of these people. You can't blame them for YOUR going to see their movies.

And if a news show sees fit to air their views and you don't like it, blame the news program! They're the ones giving the celebrities the forum to "foist" their opinions on you.

And if you STILL don't want to hear what they have to say, turn off your TV!

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

And strange as it may seem; I can sympathize with you; I get so tired of hearing all the conservative entertainers like Rush, ORilley, Hannity, that strange looking woman, Savage etc. all crybaby, and whiney about the democrats and liberals and I'm a Goldwater republican.

It works both ways!!

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Now the truth comes out. If these same actors and notables were espousing your Conservative view point this thread would never have been started.

If you had bothered to read this thread in its entirety you would have read my comment regarding Bruce Willis Ted Nugent where I stated that this grievance applies to them as well (BH said they've publically made conservative comments; though he has yet to produce evidence of this as I requested).

Orielly, Hannity etal are completely justified in making their (and their guests) opinions known on THEIR respective shows. If Alec Baldwin wants to blather on with inane arguments he should start "The Alec Baldwin Show".

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

If these same actors and notables were espousing your Conservative view point this thread would never have been started.

I bet you're right.

I bet you're wrong!! I defer to my comment regarding Bruce Willis and Ted Nugent that you introduced. BTW: Are you going produce the reference regarding their public conservative comments.

It's like you don't think celebrities are real people.

Where did I say I think they're not real people
People who run out of meaningful things to say often obfuscate the issue with meaningless comments such as yours.

They are under no obligation to stay pigeonholed as actors and never speak unless there's a script in their hands.

They chose their career. I'd rather not hear from them except for when they're doing their job. Their opinions are no more important than mine.

And if you don't want them speaking their opinions on things after you have partially helped make them famous, then you're going to have to quit watching TV and movies and withdraw your support of these people.

Thank you. I've done that!! I don't patronize movies with those actors.

And if a news show sees fit to air their views and you don't like it, blame the news program! They're the ones giving the celebrities the forum to "foist" their opinions on you.

That's because the only thing the news media cares about are the ratings. This is indirect proof of the nature in which actors can influence the general public. The general public by and large are stupid sheeple who hold in high esteem the opinions of famous people.

And if you STILL don't want to hear what they have to say, turn off your TV!

Thank you --I do that as well. I don't watch nearly as much TV as I used to.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

BTW: Are you going produce the reference regarding their public conservative comments.

Well... no. I have heard them both talk about their politics but I'm not trying to prove anything here. I haven't heard ANY of the ones you mentioned giving their political opinions except for Jane Fonda. But then, I don't watch TV news. I call it "entertainews" for the very reason of this thread.

Where did I say I think they're not real people

You didn't. I said it's like you think they're not real people ... The reason I said that is because you want them to do a certain thing (what you consider their job) and then shut up. And I'm just saying they're under no obligation to shut up after their job is done. They're people. Not machines. And if they have an audience and want to voice their opinion, there's not a thing wrong with it. Why should they shut up after work? None of us do...

They are under no moral obligation to make sure sheeple know their opinion is as meaningful (or meaningless) as the rest of ours.

People who run out of meaningful things to say often obfuscate the issue with meaningless comments such as yours.

If what I'm saying is so meaningless, why do you continue to respond? I'm not obfuscating. I'm discussing this issue of celebrities sharing their opinions. Just because we disagree doesn't mean I'm obfuscating.

They chose their career. I'd rather not hear from them except for when they're doing their job.

Then don't.

Their opinions are no more important than mine.

Agreed.

That's because the only thing the news media cares about are the ratings.

Agreed. So, like I said, I think your frustration is misdirected. The news media is at fault, not the actors.

I don't watch nearly as much TV as I used to.

I guess you watch a lot more than me as I have never heard the political opinions of the people you listed and in fact, I barely know who they all are.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Therer are those who consider Ronald Reagan the greatest U.S. president that ever lived. He was an actor first. He had political opinions, in fact, he always did. So since he was an actor, are you saying that he never should have been in politics, he should have kept his mouth shut?
Your position makes no sense - why are you allowed to spout off, but actors aren't? What makes you so special? Doesn't this strike you as a hypocritical stance? The Constitution guarantees ALL of us the right to express our opinion, no matter how bizarre. To take any position other than that is simply anti-American.
Another point: Actors and actresses almost always go through very hard times financially, some for many years, before becoming a notable Hollywood actor. They sacrificed, they studied their craft, became good at acting and then became actors. You speak as if they did nothing to deserve their career as actors and that they would be nobodies except for your dollars spent at the movies.
You are not a victim: if you don't like what they're saying, switch to another TV station, you don't HAVE to watch them.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Therer are those who consider Ronald Reagan the greatest U.S. president that ever lived. He was an actor first. He had political opinions, in fact, he always did. So since he was an actor, are you saying that he never should have been in politics, he should have kept his mouth shut?

Here's another example of someone posting without first reading the thread. Read the starting post: "I suggest if they want to make their opinions public that they put their name on a ticket somewhere and run for public office."

Your position makes no sense - why are you allowed to spout off, but actors aren't?

Really?!? I suppose you believe I (or you) could arrange a news/media conference for the purpose of voicing our opinions. This is precisely my point: They are using their fame to influence public opinion while others without fame cannot. It's an unfair advantage and an abuse of privilege.

I suspect that the reason many here are defending these actors is because they happen to agree with their opinions; which is also irresponsible. I have stated that it doesn't matter whether the actor is liberal or conservative; they still shouldn't use their fame to foist their opinions upon others.

The Constitution guarantees ALL of us the right to express our opinion, no matter how bizarre. To take any position other than that is simply anti-American.

The issue being discussed in this thread is not whether they have a right to voice their opinions (as I previously stated) it's abuse an abuse of their privilege an taking an unfair advantage over those who also have legitimate opinions but not the same influence. Please read the author's posts before commenting so you can speak more intelligently on the subject.

Another point: Actors and actresses almost always go through very hard times financially, some for many years, before becoming a notable Hollywood actor.

Boo Hoo Hoo. The poor little victims chose their career!!

They sacrificed, they studied their craft, became good at acting and then became actors. You speak as if they did nothing to deserve their career as actors and that they would be nobodies except for your dollars spent at the movies.

They, in fact, would be nobodies if no one spent money to see their movies. The fact that they have achieved success because, in part, of money I spent makes hearing them spew forth their worthless opinions particularily distatesful.

It's people like you who worship these whiney cry babies that lend credibility to what they say.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

It's people like you who worship these whiney cry babies that lend credibility to what they say.

And it's people like you that are the real whiny cry babies that give the thinking conservatives with guts, like me, a bad reputation. Review your thread to see the real whiny crybaby.

If you think that just because a person has fame and notoriety that their opinion means more to me than your opinion; you're nuts.

The reason that your opinion has litte worth to me, is because you are a whiny, crybaby!!!

[edit on 26-3-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 26-3-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

If you think that just because a person has fame and notoriety that their opinion means more to me than your opinion; you're nuts.

Exactly. I agree, you are the whiny cry baby, complaining about oh poor you having to listen to these actors

Freedom, you are assuming alot about me without knowing me. And I DID read your post, I always read everything on a thread before commenting. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm stupid. Nor do I worship any actor. Where the hell did you get that idea? Quit twisting my words and putting things in my mouth that I would never think, much less say.
Obviously, you chose a fitting name for yourself, Freedom for Sum. If that's what you believe, then you are anti-American.

P.S. - If Reagan had not been allowed to express his political opinions, how the hell do you think he would have gotten elected?

What do you have against actors anyway? You really seem to hate actors, period. As well as liberals. You have several axes to grind, don't you?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join