It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demystifying the Catch Phrases In Race-Related Talks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
5. Semantic Disconnect

I wish I had something insightful to say about this one, but I don't. I don't understand what is meant by this phrase when used specifically in race-related discussions. Ceci, you have used this phrase many times. Do you suppose you could explain what it means?

In other discussions or debates, I think it means that two views simply cannot be discussed using the same words (until definitions are agreed upon) because the two sides aren't using the same definitions for the words they're using. So, even though the words go back and forth, the meanings don't. Therefore, even though words are flying back and forth, there is no real communication. Words are being exchanged but there is a dosconnect in the conversation.

In race-related discussions, it means the same thing to me. But it has been used many times when the above wasn't happening in my perception, so I'm a bit confused about this one.

6. Finger wagging

This one is fairly self-explanatory and seems to pop up when the discussions are getting particularly heated. And I'd have to say that most of us who have been involved in these discussions have given the old finger a good workout from time to time.

Basically, I think it means telling another person something negative about their behavior instead of what's being said, but it's been pulled out far too often and therefore comes to have no meaning or impact.

Again, none of these phrases are limited to racial discussions, but they have come up a lot in racial discussions on the board. And I actually think it's a great idea to discuss them and what they mean to us, if it does nothing more than to address the "semantic disconnect" that so often seems to happen. But if we discuss the phrases in the OP, I think it's only fair to discuss the phrases all of us have been using. Not just one side or the other.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I'll get back with you later BH...

Got a little bit going on here with a case....

Semper

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Discuss what I said in race-related talks if you must. Thank you for giving me the points for doing so.

While you both are doing that, I am going to post other things that pertain to the topic.

[edit on 24-3-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Funny how you haven't been able to demonstrate that the phrases used in the OP are reserved for discussions on race, nor whether or not they take on additional meaning when ussed in such discussions.

Whatever the case, they obviously mean something different to you, so again, continue as you must.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
Funny how you haven't been able to demonstrate that the phrases used in the OP are reserved for discussions on race, nor whether or not they take on additional meaning when ussed in such discussions.

Whatever the case, they obviously mean something different to you, so again, continue as you must.

She didn't say anything about these terms being EXCLUSIVE to race, from what I can see. As for different meaning, maybe you can help me out on this one.

1)"They are 'whining' and 'crying' about race."

Do tell how this meaning is the same as a complaint about a contest of speed.

2)"They are embracing victimhood".

I'll need a lot of help on this one, can't think of a corollary right now.

3)"I don't see a color. I don't see skin color."

Do tell how this meaning is the same as someone who cannot distinguish certain colors of the spectrum, for the first sentence. Do tell how the second sentence could POSSIBLY relate to something besides race.

4)"You have too much of an emphasis on color. I do not."

Do tell how this meaning is the same as, say, artists discussing the use of color in their portraits.

5)"Everyone is a member of the human race."

Do tell how this meaning is the same as the scientific meaning.

6)"You're playing the race card."

Do tell how this could have any other meaning. Or, tell me about the card game that has a "race card" that you play.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
BH,

It is the same ol' story all over again...

"Discuss it my way, agree with me, or I will twist your words and declare you of no value."

Her entire aspect towards your personal revelation is indicative of that particular obsessive compulsive nature/disorder..

Also the newly adopted word she is using, originated by another poster, and now most prevalent in her posts....

Gymnastic Linguistics
or
Linguistic Gymnastics

I wonder if they are going to hold a Linguistic Olympics and if so, will it be televised...

Semper

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I wonder if they are going to hold a Linguistic Olympics and if so, will it be televised...

Semper

Let's just hope this event isn't swarmed by jackboots stomping around, intimidating the serfs. You know, doing stuff like tasing and arresting people for booing or other "egregious" offenses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join