It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana legal in the USA in 2010???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
RANT, I see Decrimializing and Legalizing as the same thing personally. There is some who choose to think different but that is like saying everything that is LEGAL is also Commercialized, Recomended or Required. Just cause something isn't Illegal doens't mean it's all go for shoving it down everyones throat or that everyone is going to choose to be any part of it. It's completely legal for me to Drink myself to Death, or Eat those little red berries growning in front of half the houses in everyones neighborhood, or consume 10 tubes of toothpaste or draino, etc. Doesn't mean I'm going to do it though. I don't need some government to make Cold Medicine Illegal to know better than to drink it until I'm Drunk, Sick or Dead. Ya know what I'm saying. IMO the whole decrimializing vs. legalizing is just a technicallity lawyers and polititians use to keep the confusion and fighting going so they can go on living above the law while everyone is distracted over clever twists within languages.

But it's not... I mean definition and implication-wise.

Decriminaliztion keeps it black market, un advertised, un corporate, etc.... just not 'illegal' to posess. You still can't make a 'legal' living selling it.

Legalization, which is what Tobacco companies seek (quietly, though I know this for a fact) would mean high concentrate pot sold in cigarette form in liquor stores. HUGE marketing effort and taxes out the yin/yang.

The government makes no money off decriminalizing POt...in fact, they lose money on fines, siezed boats, cars and homes. You only make money off LEGAL industries like Cigs and Alcohol.

IMO, we may decriminalize, but we're more likely to outlaw cigs than legalize pot. If they did legalize pot, I'd be mad. Not because of that, but the arbitrary decision. I'd want coc aine and opium bars too. I'm dead serious.

Pot just sucks. Smack me up anytime.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Killuminati
Its just logical to legalize marijuana. It is safer than cigarettes & alcohal, cures illnesses, and can produce huge amounts of revenue to the government, while taking money away from criminals. If you haven't smoked marijuana, I recommend you try it before passing judgement. It makes you think really deep, and you gain a different perspective on life. God put it on this planet for a reason.

I'm all for legalization, but I have to say, marijuana doesn't cure anything. It's used as relief for a few things, but it's no cure. As far as pot making people think deeper, I think that's a load of BS. However, it very well may give some a slightly different perspective on life. I'll argue that it doesn't effect the clarity of thought. There's nothing I can't do while I'm stoned that I can do while I'm not. Actually, I tend to play guitar better when I'm stoned. Contrary to popular belief, pot does not make you a "burnout". I've smoked it since I was a teen, and I'm still as sharp as can be. I smoke less than I used to, merely because I know that after 2 tokes I'm as high as I'm going to get anyway. Either that, or it's ditch weed, which isn't worth smoking. But, I've never been a "burnout", and you probably wouldn't guess I smoke pot unless you saw me doing it. People who are against drugs are either ignorant, or they have personal problems with self discipline. Either way, they should keep their frailties to themselves and leave everyone else the hell alone.
Drug testing pisses me off to no end!
It's none of your #ing business if I got stoned 2 weeks ago, on a weekend, while I wasn't working.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
Is there something for pot similar to the breathalyzer for alcohol? When or IF there is they will or should legalize it. You still have to be able to throw your own people in jail for something you know.

Marijuana stays in your system for 6 mths and is detectable through blood testing.

[Edited on 24-12-2003 by Sapphire]

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 09:11 PM
link   
wrong wrong wrong.

marijuana stays in your system for UP TO ~2 months, depending on your metabolism. but thats only in horrific lardmen that those kind of figures show up. its normally more like 3-4 weeks with a normal active person, probably less. also, it is NOT any chemical you first introduce into your body that stays with you, it is the metabolites. IE the leftover bits and pieces after the 'drug' has been broken down by your body. this is what they test for.

second a blood test is only effective WHILE YOU ARE UNDER THE INFULENCE. DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT, EVER, let them threaten you with a blood test unless you are A high or B smoked earlier that day. i add the second option B simply because its not worth the risk of them catching a high enough concentration to test positive but not high enough that you can still feel effects.

piss tests are also inherently unreliable, many factors producing false negatives as well as false positives. high doses of asprin being one of these variables. i completely and totally agree with a worktime blood test, IE they test to see if you are using AT or DURING your time of employment. piss tests are a COMPLETE invasion of privacy due to the fact i could smoke a joint in the comfort and privacy of my own home, behind closed doors well after i am off work, only for them to test me two weeks later and find metabolites in my urine and fire me for substance abuse. the first question i ask an employer would be: "do you perform any kind of drug testing on your employees, and if so, what are the procedures of these tests?"

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well it sounds like there would be a lot of positive advantages for legalizing small amounts. Personally i dont see too much harm that would come out of legalizing it except for perhaps an increase of the use of it example: more people could get it and use it and the number of people who do use it would greatly increase. Not that it is necessarialy a bad thing...

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   
forget it, its not gonna e legal unless you can get a doctor to write it off for you and get a medi card.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
wrong wrong wrong.

marijuana stays in your system for UP TO ~2 months, depending on your metabolism. but thats only in horrific lardmen that those kind of figures show up. its normally more like 3-4 weeks with a normal active person, probably less.

Not to burst your bubble, but if Olive Oil smoked every day for a year, her half lifes would be at LEAST six months. It's the build up that gets you. I think you're right about a one time use. Plenty of fluids can even clean you out in a week or so.... but for the chronic??? No way.

I've known executives to fail hair tests though when they thought they were clean as a whistle. It's sad, but you know the easiest drug to clean up from is coke (24-48 hours) followed by heroin (48-72 hours).

Like it never happened. The long term residuals of pot are also being studied for long term effects. It does SOMETHING to memory centers in your brain. That can't be denied. And I'm sorry, but manditory testing of work related accidents indicate that smokers (not even high at the time) are more prone to hurting themselves or others. Same with car accidents.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
now this doesn't apply to everybody but i would just like to say....dont tell us what it does or doesn't do if you havn't tried it...shutup...

Also, i didnt really read every post, i skipped through some so i dont know if anyone touched on this but 1.Marijauna is not a cure for sickness its only a relief from stress, which personally I would consider a cure for the mentally ill (like myself).
2.It doesn't make everybody lazy and stupid and forget that the kid you're watching is playing by the pool, (for some idiots yes, but they're idiots! theyd probly forget anyways!) i myself smoke weed daily, and have all A's in school, have a career in hip-hop at the age of 17, and i go about my buisness like any other person...if you can control yourself, you can control your weed

I dont really care if they legalize it or not, we can still get it just as easy

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   
17 years ago The Opposite, I would have agreed with every word you said. Actually, I think I said them (except I had a punk band and was fond of hash).

But I'm older now and forgot what it was like to know everything.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
wrong wrong wrong.

marijuana stays in your system for UP TO ~2 months, depending on your metabolism. but thats only in horrific lardmen that those kind of figures show up. its normally more like 3-4 weeks with a normal active person, probably less.

Not to burst your bubble, but if Olive Oil smoked every day for a year, her half lifes would be at LEAST six months. It's the build up that gets you. I think you're right about a one time use. Plenty of fluids can even clean you out in a week or so.... but for the chronic??? No way.

I've known executives to fail hair tests though when they thought they were clean as a whistle. It's sad, but you know the easiest drug to clean up from is coke (24-48 hours) followed by heroin (48-72 hours).

Like it never happened. The long term residuals of pot are also being studied for long term effects. It does SOMETHING to memory centers in your brain. That can't be denied. And I'm sorry, but manditory testing of work related accidents indicate that smokers (not even high at the time) are more prone to hurting themselves or others. Same with car accidents.

uhh... wrong.
pot does not 'build up' in your system, please do not go around touting misinformation as fact. please, atleast google something before you try to 'burst my bubble' kid.

THC Metabolism: THC in marijuana is broken down into at least 5 different compounds (metabolites) that are excreted in the urine. The metabolite commonly in the greatest abundance (accounting for ~30% of all the metabolites) is carboxy-THC (THCC). The parent drug (THC) does not pass into the urine. The presence of marijuana metabolites in urine is accepted evidence of marijuana use.

Urine Detection Time: The time it takes to clear marijuana metabolite is from 2 days (for the one time user) to 6 weeks (for the chronic user) following the last dose.

www.norchemlab.com...

6 weeks is a far cry from 6 months...
assuming 4 weeks per month, times 6 months we get 24 weeks... your math was off a bit there, eh kiddo?

second, its proven that the horrible 'long term effects' are basically non existant a short time after you cease active use of marijuana, and no lasting impairment in chronic users was noticeable. again, if you want to try and burst my bubble i can dig up studies and facts for you, as much as i doubt that matters.

And I'm sorry, but manditory testing of work related accidents indicate that smokers (not even high at the time) are more prone to hurting themselves or others. Same with car accidents.

www.norml.org.nz...

funny, huh.

www.drugwarfacts.org...

youll note the nice big 0 (zero) next to marijuana, thats strange?

youll also notice the rather small, insignificant 110,640 deaths caused by alcohol od. but alcohol is ok! drink your fill! just dont get caught smoking that devil's grass!

edit;
gah i forgot to mention, HAIR TESTS CANNOT BE CLEANED OR PREPARED FOR. you cannot clean the drug metabolites out of your hair, cant be done without removing the hair, and they can take hair from ANYWHERE on your body. the drug metabolites are locked in the hair until it falls out or is cut off. hair test = big danger.

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by forsakenwayfarer]

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Why so hostile Forsaken? I said I wasn't trying to burst your bubble. I'm not even going to bother posting US Govt. or Rehabilition sites about chronic abuse and testing, because they're just as partisan opine as your anti war-on-drugs sites. I'm sure you've seen them already, but found sites you liked better.

I mean have a little objectivity about your past time.

We pointed out different things. Hair tests will always get you...even months later. You agree. Some individuals with chronic patterns also fail blood and urine.

I've used, also worked with people in rehab. I know how testing levels go down over time, so that's why you take an initial level for comparison. A 'positive' doesn't mean you just used, but some people stay 'positive' for loooong periods of time though their levels don't increase. And it's not just weight. It has to do with frequency and amount of use. Bottom line though: an initial test may look positive for quite some time.

So all my information comes from addictionologists 'selling something', granted. Yours comes from pro-drug sites selling something too (and fellow users, I'm guessing).

I was just saying I've seen people burned thinking they knew everything and had the tests beat. Both in rehab and hiring. Cocky kills.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 01:31 AM
link   
i get defensive when i hear something i know by personal experience being tossed at me as false. no hostility was directed at you personally.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Reason # 209999 to Legalize Marijuana

Takes revenue sources away from organized crime, that could be used to purchase guns. End result......lowers crime

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Marijuana legal in the USA in 2010???

I've been hearing this lately but i have yet to confirm this. Does anyone know is this is true or what??

where have you been hearing this? i'd like to do some research!

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:22 AM
link   
If it was fully legalized, the effects would be on big business- as hemp paper is several times higher grade than pine pulp paper, and is ten times more effiecient to grow and process and does not require the harvesting of our forests as is done now. There would be chaos in this big industry-
Feed, clothing, textiles- much comes from the hemp plant. And here in Alaska, even thogh the laws are different, I do not see any effect in the public. I am neutral on our states' position- I think each person has the capability to decide for themselves whether it is for them or not, and should not be persecuted for deciding same by their local government.
I remember 0 tolerance in Alabama in the early 90's- a friends new truck was confiscated because a "seed" was found in it during a road-block check- he did'nt even smoke.Rediculous.
If it was legalized? Many big businesses would be gone-

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOpposite
1.Marijauna is not a cure for sickness its only a relief from stress, which personally I would consider a cure for the mentally ill (like myself).

I dont really care if they legalize it or not, we can still get it just as easy

It has some good medical treatments, but it isny a cure for anything. It is an appetite stimulant and those with cancer, AIDS, ...., need something to stimulate their appetite; you dont eat your gonna die. Some say it is a pain reliver and could be prescribed for that, and it could help out one's mental health and i believe it is way better than some of the antidepressants that are commonly prescribed.
Smoking is bad for your health, they should come out with some super potent hash oil for medicinal use if they really want to help out the sick.

Im sure that if we have another fierce war and the draft is reinstated weed would be legalized.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
If it was fully legalized, the effects would be on big business- as hemp paper is several times higher grade than pine pulp paper, and is ten times more effiecient to grow and process and does not require the harvesting of our forests as is done now. There would be chaos in this big industry-
Feed, clothing, textiles- much comes from the hemp plant. And here in Alaska, even thogh the laws are different, I do not see any effect in the public. I am neutral on our states' position- I think each person has the capability to decide for themselves whether it is for them or not, and should not be persecuted for deciding same by their local government.
I remember 0 tolerance in Alabama in the early 90's- a friends new truck was confiscated because a "seed" was found in it during a road-block check- he did'nt even smoke.Rediculous.
If it was legalized? Many big businesses would be gone-

But Big Tobacco is ready for it. Had the marketing plans in place 30 years. As for hemp paper, it's a winner for taste in blind studies for a replacement roll on cigs, but a loser if you tell current smokers it's "hemp". Re-education required, and not something Big Tobacco is willing to do (yet). No money in it, unless they get to sell the real stuff.

(I used to smoke Hemp Camels, when I could get them in Winston Salem... best cig you ever had)

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
i'll be sad cuz they'll prolly breed it evily and make it addictive or sumtin cuz they're jackasses as such, and the cannabis plant mutates sooo quickly it would be easy to breed some wierd bad genes into it

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by banjoechef
i'll be sad cuz they'll prolly breed it evily and make it addictive or sumtin cuz they're jackasses as such, and the cannabis plant mutates sooo quickly it would be easy to breed some wierd bad genes into it

Of course, hyper addictive nicotine and THC hybrids sold by cartoon characters. Mmmmmm-mmmmmmm.

Get 'em while they're young. Now imagine the inner city market targeting? MENTHOL MARIJUANA! Nummi.

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Rant, I am talking about all the paper we use, not just rolling papers- The pine tree takes about 15 yrs. to mature where it is profitable to be cut and processed for pulp, which is the beginning process for manufacture of paper. There are paper mills all over the Southern US-Kimberly Clark (formerly Scott Paper) St. Regis, International Paper, just to name a few. All their production is based on planned growing and harvesting of pine and some other trees. Practically all available timberland in the the Southern US is owned by these big companies.
Hemp grows at a rate of 15 times that of the pine- requires 1/10 less timerland, and quality of pulp from hemp vs. pine is many times more- end result would be the finest paper available, no foresting and raping of lands, and production increased many times over.
It makes an impression on one when you see 800 foot long ships being loaded with pine chips and sent to Japan for their manufacture of paper- as Kimberly-Clark does at the Port of Mobile, AL. on a weekly basis.
Hemp could make a lot of situations better, if it was legalized. It would definetly stop the rape of our forests, that's a fact IMO-
I never did run across Camel Hemp- Like you said- because of the quality of hemp paper.
I had a good laugh recently, there was an article in our local paper where this guy reported his marijuana stolen to local state troopers- to their amazement. Somebody broke into his house and stole his plants, I will see if I can find this and post later.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join