It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana legal in the USA in 2010???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I agree with Journey, legalization would have a major impact on the paper industry, along with other major reprecussions both good and bad.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   
legalization would overrun the paper industry, the textile industry, and many more that i cant even begin to think of at this point in time. did you know research was/is being done to prove hemp as a viable fuel resource.?

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xinfallibility
I've been hearing this lately but i have yet to confirm this. Does anyone know is this is true or what??

it wouldn't suprise me. The CIA already trafiks drugs. Its just a matter of time.

[Edited on 12-25-2003 by theshadowknows]

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Exactly. Non-supporters need to realize that aspect of this issue. Just a matter of time....

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Has anyone here seen the movie "Grass"? That's probably the best documentary on marijuana prohibition. If you haven't seen it, definitely downl.....errr buy it. It shows exactly how this war on marijuana (and other drugs) has been built on pure 100% bull# fear tactics. They scared the crap out of the sheeple with propaganda, then made them beg the gov't to abuse their power. I like the "Official Truths". The first one was;

"If you smoke it, you will KILL people!"

Of course, the "Official Truth" changed many times, and included ridiculous claims such as these...

"If you smoke it, you will go INSANE!"
"If you smoke it, you will become a HEROIN ADDICT!"

Now, everyone knows different, but the scare tactics are the same.

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
wrong wrong wrong.

marijuana stays in your system for UP TO ~2 months, depending on your metabolism. but that's only in horrific lardmen that those kind of figures show up. its normally more like 3-4 weeks with a normal active person, probably less.

Not to burst your bubble, but if Olive Oil smoked every day for a year, her half lifes would be at LEAST six months. It's the build up that gets you. I think you're right about a one time use. Plenty of fluids can even clean you out in a week or so.... but for the chronic??? No way.

I smoked it daily for years. A few years ago, I was set up at a concert. An undercover asshole handed me a roach, then two more arrested me as soon as I took a toke.
I had to take 6 mos. worth of drug tests, starting last Jan. I stopped smoking for 30 days, and never failed a single test in the next 6 mos. I even smoked occasionally in between tests, toward the end. In most cases, 30 days is plenty of time to pass any urine test. If you have a fast metabolism, like me, you could smoke pot a few times on a weekend, and it'll be out of your system in 2 weeks.

[Edited on 12-27-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
Rant, I am talking about all the paper we use, not just rolling papers- The pine tree takes about 15 yrs. to mature where it is profitable to be cut and processed for pulp, which is the beginning process for manufacture of paper. There are paper mills all over the Southern US-Kimberly Clark (formerly Scott Paper) St. Regis, International Paper, just to name a few. All their production is based on planned growing and harvesting of pine and some other trees. Practically all available timberland in the the Southern US is owned by these big companies.
Hemp grows at a rate of 15 times that of the pine- requires 1/10 less timerland, and quality of pulp from hemp vs. pine is many times more- end result would be the finest paper available, no foresting and raping of lands, and production increased many times over.
It makes an impression on one when you see 800 foot long ships being loaded with pine chips and sent to Japan for their manufacture of paper- as Kimberly-Clark does at the Port of Mobile, AL. on a weekly basis.
Hemp could make a lot of situations better, if it was legalized. It would definetly stop the rape of our forests, that's a fact IMO-
I never did run across Camel Hemp- Like you said- because of the quality of hemp paper.
I had a good laugh recently, there was an article in our local paper where this guy reported his marijuana stolen to local state troopers- to their amazement. Somebody broke into his house and stole his plants, I will see if I can find this and post later.

I sincerely don't understand what you're saying. I mean I do assuming hemp was illegal, but I don't see how it is? A major tobacco client of mine used hemp paper frequently in test products. You never saw Camel Hemp, because it was never marketed...even the test subjects didn't know they were smoking it. But the company had no problems getting it, or making it (I really don't know how they got it), but they did say despite better reported quality smoking, the cost was extrememly prohibitive.

But aside from that, just as a paper replacement. I've heard for years that THC can be bred out of hemp, and you could grow it for paper, rope, etc all you want, but the pro-hemp crowd isn't satisfied with THC free hemp. It's a red herring issue if you ask me.

Come to think of it, there used to be an all-hemp store in Atlanta in my old neighborhood. I don't know if it was made there or imported, but it was legal. They advertised the propaganda that THC is not necessary, better paper, etc. etc. They sold paper, jounals, clothes, hiking gear...anything you can imagine out of hemp. They went out of business. The prices weren't the only thing too high as I recall.

[Edited on 27-12-2003 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Satyr,

I've known high metabolism people too. Lucky bastards.

I'm not one.
Also, I'm one of those statistics you mentioned that DID graduate to heroin.

It depends on your perspective. At one point in my life I knew dozens and dozens of pot users that never used hard drugs. At another point I knew dozens and dozens of junkies that all started with pot.

No not every pot user smokes crack, etc. But ALMOST every crack addict and junkie started with pot. (Especially since it's so much easier for kids to get than beer).

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Maybe this will cause many to realize the truth behind criminalisation of marijuana. Millions of acres of forests could be spared, fuels and textiles created, the list goes on and on...the benefits of using hemp for paper-making processes are to each of our advantage, as the manufacturing process requires no sulphuric acid- ever wonder where all those railroad tanker cars with "Sulphuric Acid" on the DOT tag is going? to your local paper mill, and then into your river-
Union Carbide is big in your area, Rant-

Dupont(the original reason for marijuana prohibition):
In 1937, Andrew Mellon was the Head of the Department of Treasury for the United States. He was also the owner of Gulf Oil Company. Andrew Mellon was the main investor in Dupont�s growing petrochemical company. Dupont purchased all of his oil needed for his business from Gulf Oil. Dupont lobbied Mellon to prohibit the use of hemp, and marijuana, so that he could develop, market, and sell his wood pulp paper process. Mellon had his nephew, Harry Anslinger Jr. appointed as the head of the newly created Federal Bureau of Narcotics for the sole purpose of making marijuana illegal. Anslinger began immediately attacking marijuana using the Hearst, yellow journalism, newspaper chain as his pulpit. Anslinger was quoted as saying that marijuana caused �insanity, criminality, and death. As well as being used mostly by lawless Mexicans and Negroes� Anslinger instigated hearings in congress to ban marijuana. The AMA was subsequently barred from those hearings. And after a total debate on the floor of congress of 1 minute and 32 seconds, the marijuana tax stamp act was adopted by congress leading to the criminalization of marijuana. Congressional record, 1937

Industrial Hemp:
"Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down,if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the fields?" -- Henry Ford 1 Acre of Industrial hemp can produce as much paper as 4.1 acres of forest land, in four months as opposed to 20 years. �Hemp Hurds as Paper Making Material� USDA Bulletin 404 1916

Hemp can be used to make over 5,000 different textile products and the left over hairy fibers contain over 77% cellulose and can be used to make over 25,000 different products. Hemp Paper does not yellow with age and 1,500 year old fragments of hemp paper have been found. It requires no sulfuric acid compounds to produce. Popular Mechanics Feb 1938, �New Billion Dollar Crop�

Industrial Hemp contains no THC yet the US Government has failed to grant any hemp growing permits to farmers who can not currently support themselves.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
Has anyone here seen the movie "Grass"? That's probably the best documentary on marijuana prohibition. If you haven't seen it, definitely downl.....errr buy it. It shows exactly how this war on marijuana (and other drugs) has been built on pure 100% bull# fear tactics. They scared the crap out of the sheeple with propaganda, then made them beg the gov't to abuse their power. I like the "Official Truths". The first one was;

"If you smoke it, you will KILL people!"

Of course, the "Official Truth" changed many times, and included ridiculous claims such as these...

"If you smoke it, you will go INSANE!"
"If you smoke it, you will become a HEROIN ADDICT!"

Now, everyone knows different, but the scare tactics are the same.

BEST DOCUMENTARY EVER!! Grass really showed the truth behind the Propaganda and Totally Pointless Drug War that was started by the US Gov. Anyone who hasn't seen "Reefer Madness" for themselves really needs to check it out just to see first hand how "bad" the lies and brainwashing can get.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
BEST DOCUMENTARY EVER!! Grass really showed the truth behind the Propaganda and Totally Pointless Drug War that was started by the US Gov. Anyone who hasn't seen "Reefer Madness" for themselves really needs to check it out just to see first hand how "bad" the lies and brainwashing can get.

They did do a great job showing exactly how manipulative and corrupt they were in the process of building this hate war.

Originally posted by RANT
Satyr,

I've known high metabolism people too. Lucky bastards.

I'm not one.
Also, I'm one of those statistics you mentioned that DID graduate to heroin.

It depends on your perspective. At one point in my life I knew dozens and dozens of pot users that never used hard drugs. At another point I knew dozens and dozens of junkies that all started with pot.

No not every pot user smokes crack, etc. But ALMOST every crack addict and junkie started with pot. (Especially since it's so much easier for kids to get than beer).

It takes a certain type of person to try Heroin or crack. Smoking pot has absolutely nothing to do with how far you'll go in your experimentation. IMO, it's something that was already set in your mind. Your "# it" switch was in the # it position, obviously. I've had alot of curiosity about Heroin, but never had the nerve to try it, since I know it would most likely be the death of me. Of course, if I had the misfortune of having friends that did Heroin, I probably would've ended up trying it too. I knew a few people, but they didn't run in the same circles I was in.
My cousin, who lives in CA, has been lost in Heroin addiction for many years now. She met a few celebrities, who don't have the financial woes most people carry. I'm sure, if it weren't for those people, she wouldn't be in the mess of a life she's created for herself.
I've experimented quite a bit with harder drugs. I even smoked crack for awhile, which was the least satisfying drug I ever tried. I never liked it, and therefore couldn't possibly become addicted to it. To me, staring at the carpet looking for crumbs, was just too pathetic. I couldn't allow myself to become another pathetic junkie. I'm one of the lucky ones who has enough pride and faith in myself not to let that happen. Meanwhile, I saw many people lose themselves in crack and coc aine addiction. I saw them as weak individuals, since I always had the strength to walk away from anything. Since Heroin is probably the best high, I was never sure I wanted to test that one.
I'm a control freak. The thought of losing control, to a drug of any kind, terrifies me. I just couldn't let that happen.

[Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
"Since Heroin is probably the best high, I was never sure I wanted to test that one."

It is, and you don't. And your right, people with wads of cash or the false prestige of power can suffer addiction the worst.

But there's one pseudo bonus to smack, you'll never want to smoke dope or drink again. No f'ing point. Even snorting coke is a joke. Once you go IV, your lungs, nose, and pills are a poor substitue.

But back to pot, it's the 'rush' of inhaling people want. The medical alternative of concentrate THC doesn't cut it for doping. I mean I'm all for civil liberties, but that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to do. Obviously not because I'm a prude, but damn.

Theoretically, I kind of agree about the either you will or you won't graduate, except there are circumstances for everyone. Availability matters. If you're a "screw it" person in the middle of nowhere, you might get a DWI. In NYC you'll do smack at an orgy.

If pot were legal everywhere (not just decriminalized) and available like alchohol... I promise use of "illegal" drugs would rise. I don't know what it is , but people are never content with what they can have.

For one thing, drug cartels won't be setting up Pot shops, they'll just import more coke and heroin. I don't know, I'm jaded. I just don't see a point to legalizing pot, and not everything. Why just shift the front lines of a fake war, if the war is indeed fake? Call off the war.

For me, it's either leave well enough alone, or outlaw alchohol and cigarettes, or legalize EVERYTHING. I don't see a point in any special circumstances for pot.

It's not about cheap paper, or medical treatment...it's about getting high. It really is whether anyone admits it or not.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It's not just about getting high. It's about personal freedom, and our right to do what we want with our own bodies. You're right on one thing. It shouldn't have to be legalized, because it never should've been illegal in the first place. There should be no laws concerning drugs, period. This isn't an issue any gov't should have the power to regulate. It's hate and discrimination disguised as safety regulations. They overstepped their boundaries, just as they always do now days. They couldn't do it using rational logic, so they just lied to everyone.

[Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It's not just about getting high. It's about personal freedom, and our right to do what we want with our own bodies.

So people should rally for the decriminalization of all drugs, not single out pot with BS arguments. I mean Bill O'Reilly that HATES western european style secular government even says he doesn't care what drugs people do in their own homes. As a civil liberties issue, it can work. I think the paper and medical treatment issues muddy the waters and make people skeptical. It sounds like BS, so they think it is.

I'm for legal everything. Why not? But it should be noted it's my civil liberty...to get high. Alcohol is the perfect citation for proof. Yet, pro pot people attack alcohol as worse. It muddys the argument.

To be pro legalization for pot, you should be pro civil liberties including cigs, booze, and probably all drugs. If you're not willing to allow coke, acid, heroin, etc. then there's a problem with your pot defense (IMO).

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I agree 110%. It should be all or nothing. We know that's not going to happen, though.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   

It's not just about getting high. It's about personal freedom, and our right to do what we want with our own bodies. [Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]

alright i have to completely disagree with you. that whole personal freedom is takin it a little too far. there should never be legalized EVER. because it is not just effecting the one person, but several people in many occasions.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sftprez

It's not just about getting high. It's about personal freedom, and our right to do what we want with our own bodies. [Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]

alright i have to completely disagree with you. that whole personal freedom is takin it a little too far. there should never be legalized EVER. because it is not just effecting the one person, but several people in many occasions.

Only because they can't accept it, or it scares them. Most drug problems are of a legal nature. All that anti-drug campaign bull# they try to sell, like the babysitters letting kids jump in the pool because he/she smoked a joint, is just blatant disinfo. That kind of # rarely ever happens....especially not from smoking pot. It's no better than the anti-drug crap they used to use. You're either pro-choice, or you're anti-pro-choice. It's obvious which one you are.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Buzz, you give smokers a bad name, I would ask YOU to stop talking about pot. You are going to be ban soon if you dont stop. So please talk about something new, stop talking about drugs. ok? Great

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I use marijuana to help with my disability. I also feel that public awareness needs to be raised. Do the words "DENY IGNORANCE" on the top of this site mean anything?

Buzz (In Canada we believe in choice not control)

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Have posts of Buzzz' been removed? Judging by the only two posts above, I don't see what all of the fuss is about. ::shrugs::

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
Is there something for pot similar to the breathalyzer for alcohol?

You stole my idea...lol...no there isnt one used yet...but i also agree...once there it...weed will be legal...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join