It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help!! What should I do??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Springtime, it’s a favorite time of year for me! I went out to let my chicken’s out this morning, and I have two hen’s clucking, I call them Mother Clucker’s. These girls are hormonal. I see thoughts of Motherhood shimmering from their eyes. Generally, I let the girls hatch a clutch of eggs when they want babies, but I have some traveling coming up…I don’t know what to do?? I can’t possibly travel and have a good time knowing that there are baby chicks that I need to hold, and cuddle running around? Having baby chicks running around is wonderful in a way I can’t express. It makes me so joyful, I’m torn…what should I do?

As a mother myself…I know what that feeling is like! When you want another baby…. I don’t by the way, but I remember that ‘feeling’ back some 17 years ago when I tricked my husband! He said no…I said yes… and it was a done deal. Boom! Two weeks later…I had a bun in the oven
The bad thing about spring is…all my girls will be getting that loving feeling… longing to fill that empty nest. What should I do?? My son is excited…he said "let they do it mom…I’ll be home"…. I don’t know, so many things to consider…like predators, ….oh my goodness, what would you do?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Is there no one around - such as freinds or family - that could watch over the 'nest while your gone. I guess that's what I would do.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It's not so much watching over the nest, it's a matter of once the chicks hatch...things like cats will catch and kill the babies. I'm the kind of person the doesn't want to see any of my critter's die...especially to a predator.

Once I took one of my chickens away from a hawk! That's pretty gutsy I know....I cleaned her wounds..and she still part of my flock today. I just happened to be outdoors when it happened

Those hawks have really big talons btw

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well I'll admit that the only thing I really know about chickens is that they can be quite tasty.

Having said that is there perhaps a vet or veterinary hospital around who would look after them?

Or...perhaps riskier an elementary or middle school that could adopt them for a while...you could even let the kids name them.

That way the chicks are safe and the kids have a project.

Just a thought.

Spiderj

[edit on 3/16/2007 by Spiderj]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Ok, I'm going to admit I know nothing about raising chickens. So I'm going to ask a stupid question I'm sure. Is there anyway you can take them with you in a cage?

How old is your son? Why do you not want him watching them?

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
Well I'll admit that the only thing I really know about chickens is that they can be quite tasty.

I wonder how baby chickens would taste. You figure their bones are extremely soft, so you probably won't need to eat around them. Deep fried maybe?

Well, there's my answer.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
is your son old enough for the responsibility? If he is I would say give him a shot.

Perhaps your son can be a help in this and learn great responsibility skills at the same time.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
You know what....I think he is, and you're right I should let him have a go at it. The only thing he may have trouble with is candling eggs to see which ones are viable...

I had a hen go missing last night...she may have a secret nest somewhere...... and I may get babies regardless

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
chickens are smart enough to hide a nest? well go figure that... most chickens I have ever seen are barely aware enough to stay out of the front tires of cars let allone hide a nest.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Hey!!! Watch the chicken insults buddy
And yes...chickens are quite good at hiding nest...trust me.

Turns out my missing hen...I think she was lunch for a chicken hawk...I found a bunch of feathers out back

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
aww thats too bad, Sorry for the loss. I havent been arround chickens a lot in my life. Cows, horses, pigs, yea I had my dealings with them but as far as chickens I never had to deal with them too much...

I guess it will be a valuable lesson to the other chickens to hang out in the coup from now on right?

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
No, they are dumb that way!

(this is not a one line post)

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I'm no expert, but it sounds like you need a coupe, not a cage. A chicken coupe is like a cage, but with a top on it. This would keep other animals out and the chickens in. Also, eggs without a rooster do not hatch, so leave the rooster outside of the coupe so that the eggs can not be fertilized. I'm not sure this helps any, but good luck with your chickens.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Your son, let him have a go at it.
I think it would be a good experience for him, as well as a way for you to show your trust in him..

Chicken coupes..they are the ones with 2 doors, instead of 4, like the chicken sedans. yes?

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think I'll stick with the chicken Coop, I don't need 4 doors to close each night

Thanks for the replies...if it happens, it happens...I'm gonna let my son handle it. If I come home and my poultry stock is all dead...I'll start over!

I'm not going to put a net over my chicken runs....Sometimes I lose one, at least a hawk has honest intentions

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Sorry about the spelling error, I left my thesaurus at the office, ha ha

I really do hope you don't loose your chickens. I think your son will probably b able to deal with them while your gone and the experience and your trust in him will be good for him.

[edit on 17-3-2007 by lonewolf37]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Just checking in to see if anything came out of this! Baby chicks, more hawk food? Would anyone be suprised if chicken nuggets were actually made out of chicks?

I hope everything went according to plan!

top topics

join