It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halliburton Moves HQ from Houston to Dubai

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

www.dnaindia.com

NEW YORK: Defence contractor Halliburton, which is accused by its detractors of overcharging the United States tax payers for its services in Iraq, is moving its corporate headquarters from Houston to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, angering many Americans.

Some analysts said it was moving to take advantage of favourable tax laws which would add to its bottom line. Last year, it earned $2.3 billion in profits.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.courant.com
english.aljazeera.net

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Well, it could be for profit reasons they're moving. More want more, always like that with greed. Anyway that's the official reason.

I was thinking there could be a reason of security involved as well. I've seen a thread here on ATS sometime ago about Houston might be laid bare by some WMD. I think the OP was founded in a dream, but a lot of other clues came up in the thread.

I'll search for it when I've posted this ...which took some time to dig up. I saw it in some news alert yesterday, but today when I googled it, all the links from US news outlet would simply display a 404 error, or say the story had been removed. They don't want it to be public, nothing on Blomberg, CNN or Faux

Therefore forgive the rather obscure links I've found. I think the story originates from Al Jazera.

Could it be they move because they have knowledge of something about to happen on US soil?

www.dnaindia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
www.iht.com...

HOUSTON: Halliburton, the big energy services company, said on Sunday that it would open a corporate headquarters in the United Arab Emirates city of Dubai and move its chairman and chief executive, David J. Lesar, there.

The company will maintain its existing corporate office here as well as its legal incorporation in the United States, meaning that it will still be subject to domestic laws and regulations.

They're not actually "moving" anything from Houston to Dubai. They're simply building a new World Headquarters in Dubai and moving the CEO and Vice CEO there. As the above article mentions, they will continue to maintain their corporate office in Houston and their legal incorporation in the US.

Given that the majority of their interests and business has shifted to areas of the middle east, it's just good business sense to set up shop in the neighborhood where you're most active.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It's about time! And what place do we have to criticize them for their business? They are a private company struggling to survive, we didn't elect them or anything like that. Same for Exxon-Mobil too! Did you know their sales dropped by 4% last year? Poor companies. How are they ever going to survive under this opressive atmosphere we have imposed upon them here in the States? They HAVE to move to survive!

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This news is just more of the same from a company that continuously defies sanctions on countries that the US is trying to pressure by using offshore subsidiaries.

Even with the Iran-Libya Sanctions Act in place, Halliburton continues to operate in Iran. It pays the Department of Commerce $15,000 to settle allegations that the company has broken anti-boycott provisions of the U.S. Export Administration Act for an Iran-related transaction, without admitting wrongdoing.13 Halliburton also continues to do business in Libya throughout Cheney's tenure.

July/August: It is revealed that while Vice President Cheney was Halliburton's CEO, the number of its subsidiary companies in offshore tax havens increased from 9 (in 1995) to 44 (in 1999). One of these subsidiaries (Halliburton Products and Services Ltd.), incorporated in the Caiman Islands, is used since 2000 to get around sanctions on doing business in Iran.41 At the same time, Halliburton's federal taxes dropped dramatically from $302 million in 1998 to an $85 million rebate in 1999. 42

www.halliburtonwatch.org...

My guess is that this move is to evade taxes and working under US law. Mark my words.

[edit on 3/12/2007 by Hal9000]

apc

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What kind of extradition agreements do we have with the UAE? If the criminal hammer drops Enron sty-lee, warrants may not mean much if those being charged are unobtainable.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It's about time! And what place do we have to criticize them for their business? They are a private company struggling to survive, we didn't elect them or anything like that.

No, we didn't elect them, but they are getting billions in taxpayer dollars for government contracts, and as such have a certain civic responsibility (that doesn't include tax dodging and sanction dodging) in order to keep receiving said funds...especially when the Vice President used to be CEO!!!

No surprise some are calling "foul" here.... I think another poster called it. The GOP lost Congress and they know the gig is up, so they're gettin' while the gettin's good....

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Why does everyone assume that Haliburton is greedy because it wants to make more money? I have a management degree, and we were taught that the purpose of an officer of a company is to increase shareholder wealth. This means that the company's main purpose is to make money for investors and stockholders. This is not greed, this is capitalism at work. In todays Global Enconomy, if moving out of the country works for them, then so be it. I will step off my soap box now.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It is about time they moved closer to their "Work".

Best to have your office close to your HQ.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by turnblom79
Why does everyone assume that Haliburton is greedy because it wants to make more money?

Well let's see. They already get no bid contracts. The contractors working overseas don't pay taxes, yet our soldiers do, so the taxes that our solders pay goes toward paying the contractors that supply their food and water. The former CEO is the vise president whom started a war in Iraq and created all kinds of new business for them.

And now the HQ will no longer be within the US where they not only will have to pay taxes, but I am sure they will be exempt from US law, regardless of what the article says.

This is not greed, this is capitalism at work.

That is not capitalism, that is a monopoly.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

This means that the company's main purpose is to make money for investors and stockholders. This is not greed, this is capitalism at work. In todays Global Enconomy, if moving out of the country works for them, then so be it. I will step off my soap box now.

That's all well and good for a company whose main revenue is from consumers, but when a good chunk is from the US government, do you want YOUR tax-payer dollars going to support a foreign government, especially one in an area of the world where most folks see us as the enemy? This tax-payer doesn't.... Fine, they can go to Dubai, but that contract should become null and void, and go to someone where we (the taxpayers, as shareholders in America) where see OUR best return....

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
The former CEO is the vise president whom started a war in Iraq and created all kinds of new business for them.

LMAO, it always comes back to a right-wing conspiracy. I love you lefties.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

LMAO, it always comes back to a right-wing conspiracy. I love you lefties.

I'm glad you can laugh at it while our solders are dieing.

It is a right-wing conspiracy. Open your eyes.

Edit: Check out this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/12/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
How can you say that the spread of Democracy is a right-wing conspiracy? As a conservative, I feel that Bill Clinton is a moron, but at the same time I don't think that he would ever kill Americans like everyone says that Bush did in 9/11. I don't care how greedy you think someone is, I don't think Bush and Cheney value money over lives. Everyone says he is a crazy Fundamentalist Christian, than he would definitely hold the lives of Americans in higher esteem than to sacrifice them for money. Lets talk about Dems taking money away from troops so that they are more likely to be killed.

Let me guess, you are gonna link the Loose Change video that Popular Mechanics debunked too?

[edit on 3/12/2007 by turnblom79]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Please keep the responses topically focused.

There are plenty of threads in US Politics, for those so inclined.

Thank you.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
They are a private company struggling to survive

Private yes, but I wish I was struggling like they were.

Gimme a break.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
the Halliburton move further solidifies the USA(the west's) long term presence on the Arabian Holy Lands.

Halliburton has managed to become a major arm or branch of the USAs
strategic forces...(along with 'KBR' subsidary, & Blackwater..)

Halliburton in Dubai, will be at a prime operations center & should
influence all of the Gulf States, Saudi Arabia under threat from a coup or fundamentalist/radical takeover should become more western friendly as the 'businessmen' get even more intertwined in Saudi internal affairs.

Halliburton in their new 'staging area' will exert greater control & leverage
with all the needed importation of Indian, Pakistani & central Asian work forces needed as the expansion of the Gulf States accellerates.

Halliburton is a 'Gatekeeper' [in my view of NWO structure]
and is indispensible in the WOT,
re-making of the middle-east,
achieving US hegemony...
and whatever organizational entity eventually evolves,
Halliburton (or its spawn) will be the Regional Facilitator for NWO

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

How can you say that the spread of Democracy is a right-wing conspiracy? As a conservative, I feel that Bill Clinton is a moron, but at the same time I don't think that he would ever kill Americans like everyone says that Bush did in 9/11. I don't care how greedy you think someone is, I don't think Bush and Cheney value money over lives. Everyone says he is a crazy Fundamentalist Christian, than he would definitely hold the lives of Americans in higher esteem than to sacrifice them for money. Lets talk about Dems taking money away from troops so that they are more likely to be killed.

Let me guess, you are gonna link the Loose Change video that Popular Mechanics debunked too?

[edit on 3/12/2007 by turnblom79]

You can judge how much bush minor values our troops by the fact that he has consistantly tried to cut VA funding every year he has been in office. Yet he is quick to make more disabled vets.

As for Halliburton... there should be a full blown special prosutor just for their over charging.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Dubai wanted to control our ports.

Now the war and oil and army.

They got control of the president with Cheney.

We don't have anything just like the mayor and governor of New York
had control over the World Trade Towers and now they do.

Oil suppliers rules.

Look to the UFO in the skies, do you think they use oil based power.

That is their only fear. That you will find out what that power is.

Its not from Quantum and its not from ETs.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Defence contractor Halliburton ... is moving its corporate headquarters from Houston to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates

The rats are starting to abandon the sinking ship.

Does this really come as a surprise to anyone?

At least we know who the terrorists are now.

... the United Arab Emirates (UAE), a country with troubling ties to international terrorism.

Some facts about the UAE:

– The UAE was one of three countries in the world to recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

– The UAE has been a key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear components to Iran, North Korea and Lybia.

– According to the FBI, money was transferred to the 9/11 hijackers through the UAE banking system.

– After 9/11, the Treasury Department reported that the UAE was not cooperating in efforts to track down Osama Bin Laden’s bank accounts.

thinkprogress.org...

Care to watch this again?

Who killed John O'neill?
video.google.com...

[edit on 12-3-2007 by In nothing we trust]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join