It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halliburton Moves HQ from Houston to Dubai

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Can't say I blame Haliburton, they are a constant target of the left.

It's funny to see the Democrat reaction to this. They bash Haliburton while they are here, and now are bashing them because they are leaving.

There will come a day when the U.S. will have to change the tax code. Companies that provide employment opportunities to thousands of Americans don't need to be paying such high taxes.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Who's next? Wal-Mart? Exxon? "Big" Tobacco?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Well, it could be for profit reasons they're moving. More want more, always like that with greed. Anyway that's the official reason.

Corporations that don’t make profits also don’t make payroll---perhaps the employees should work for free---or are they greedy and want a paycheck?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Can't say I blame Haliburton, they are a constant target of the left.

It's funny to see the Democrat reaction to this. They bash Haliburton while they are here, and now are bashing them because they are leaving.

There will come a day when the U.S. will have to change the tax code. Companies that provide employment opportunities to thousands of Americans don't need to be paying such high taxes.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Who's next? Wal-Mart? Exxon? "Big" Tobacco?

So.... I am assuming the RR is willing to pay more taxes so that multi-billion dollar corporations can pay less. How generous of you RR I didn't know you had it in you.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Well, it could be for profit reasons they're moving. More want more, always like that with greed. Anyway that's the official reason.

I was thinking there could be a reason of security involved as well. I've seen a thread here on ATS sometime ago about Houston might be laid bare by some WMD. I think the OP was founded in a dream, but a lot of other clues came up in the thread.

I'll search for it when I've posted this ...which took some time to dig up. I saw it in some news alert yesterday, but today when I googled it, all the links from US news outlet would simply display a 404 error, or say the story had been removed. They don't want it to be public, nothing on Blomberg, CNN or Faux

Therefore forgive the rather obscure links I've found. I think the story originates from Al Jazera.

Could it be they move because they have knowledge of something about to happen on US soil?

www.dnaindia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well the Democrats lately have been talking lately about war profitering and making it illegal and spending time in jail and paying fines. So I think that probably has more to do with it than anything else personally.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
the Halliburton move further solidifies the USA(the west's) long term presence on the Arabian Holy Lands.

Halliburton has managed to become a major arm or branch of the USAs
strategic forces...(along with 'KBR' subsidary, & Blackwater..)

Halliburton in Dubai, will be at a prime operations center & should
influence all of the Gulf States, Saudi Arabia under threat from a coup or fundamentalist/radical takeover should become more western friendly as the 'businessmen' get even more intertwined in Saudi internal affairs.

Halliburton in their new 'staging area' will exert greater control & leverage
with all the needed importation of Indian, Pakistani & central Asian work forces needed as the expansion of the Gulf States accellerates.

Halliburton is a 'Gatekeeper' [in my view of NWO structure]
and is indispensible in the WOT,
re-making of the middle-east,
achieving US hegemony...
and whatever organizational entity eventually evolves,
Halliburton (or its spawn) will be the Regional Facilitator for NWO

Well except for in Saudi Arabia which Bush took troops out of the first time in history. This is the reason why BinLadin supposivley gives for starting the war with the US and of course add on the Saudi's having the US help with the Afghainstan ordeal. I agree with Halliburton playing a role with the NWO and getting money for them.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Here is a little info on Dubai and the reason for Halliburton to move to there. It's a free trade port with literally no inspections.

If you open the link, you'll learn how American companies --via Dubai-- circumvent the restrictions on goods and trade barriers on certain countries, thus helping the proliferation of WMD.

Yes, that's a true NWO agenda.

The source cannot be rejected or taken lightly as it is non other than
Forbes: Trading With the Enemy

The open secret is that Dubai buys far more than it keeps. More than a quarter of its $23 billion in annual nonoil imports are reexported, and Iran gets the biggest share. Interviews with private businesspeople and U.S. officials, along with court documents, reveal a simple scheme. Companies located around the world sell goods--from cigarettes to medical devices and PCs--to buyers in the U.A.E. Dubai traders repackage the items and send them along by air or ship to agents in, say, Tehran, Pyongyang, Damascus or Islamabad.

Smuggling isn't exactly new to the Persian Gulf. But the system really took off around 1987, when the U.S. imposed its first trade embargo on Iranian goods and services in response to Tehran's sponsoring of terrorism in the Middle East. By the time the 1995 oil sanctions took effect, it was a well-greased mechanism.

Virtually all trade and investment with Iran was prohibited in 1997, though the ban on caviar, nuts, dried fruits and carpets was lifted in 2000. The penalties--fines of up to $250,000 for individuals and ten years in the slammer--should have deterred violators.

Yet it didn't take long for U.S. products to seep through the cracks. As long as a decade ago, more than a quarter of the roughly $1 billion in American goods exported to Dubai ended up in Iran, estimates the Wisconsin Project on Nuclear Arms Control, a nonproliferation advocacy group in Washington, D.C. Last year U.S. companies sold $3.4 billion worth of goods to the U.A.E.; export licenses have jumped 47% over the last five years. "When you blow off the dust, the Dubai region sometimes means Iran and Libya," says Paul DeBenedictis, chairman of the American Business Council of the Gulf Countries.

Halliburton is far from the only brand that shows up in Tehran. Hewlett-Packard, Dell and Microsoft, among many other U.S. companies, keep Dubai offices and are favorites these days among Iranian traders in Dubai. Reason? Strong demand for "anything high-tech for military or oil services," says Bolurfrushan of the Iranian Business Council. "In compliance with U.S. trade laws, it is Microsoft's policy to not sell products to Iran from any of its offices," says a spokeswoman for the software colossus. (Dell says it follows export controls, too.) To curtail the proliferations, the Department of Commerce is strengthening its regulation that punishes U.S. companies that send goods and know--or have reason to know--those goods could contribute to weapons of mass destruction.

This should make it clear why Halliburton moves, it's not just tax evasion, it is to circumvent trade barriers.

Corporations have no need of loyalty to any government, and certainly no national obligations, and there is the legal aspect of avoiding prosecution as well.

Patriotism!? HA!!

They only have obligation to their shareholders.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I know this is off topic so I will be brief.

Originally posted by turnblom79
How can you say that the spread of Democracy is a right-wing conspiracy?

It is when several Republicans planned the Iraq war before Bush even took office. I agree it wasn’t just for money. They believe it is for American interests, but what makes it wrong is that is being done by force and under false pretences, and when you have ties with businesses like Halliburton there are obvious conflicts of interests.

I don't care how greedy you think someone is, I don't think Bush and Cheney value money over lives.

No, but they think that advancing American interests are worth lives. The Iraq war is proof of that.

Let me guess, you are gonna link the Loose Change video that Popular Mechanics debunked too?

Now that was funny. Seriously, take a look at that video and you might learn something.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Just like to add, yesterday when I research the OP I had a hard time to find reliable links (as stated in the OP), but I noticed quite a few linking the Dubai Ports deal with Halliburton. Searching it today it's all drowned in this news of moving.

I found one blogger BigBadJohnny wrote on associatedcontent.com>conflicts of interest it might be slightly off topic, but the conclusion of his post is interesting.

"Envision a pseudo-political group whose sole interest is in the manipulation of the economy for it's own interests. Not influenced whatever by legal or moral issues, beyond the need to present an acceptable facade; no concern for social programs, the citizenry, world interests, only, by it's very charter, economic gain.
How much damage could these profiteers do?" BBJ

This manipulization of the American Armed Forces, non-compliances with American laws, by The Bushs, and Cheneys, to further private economic interests, goes far beyond the scope of "impeachable offenses."

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If you're looking for a real world conspiracy, this would be it. Haliburton's subsidiary KBR has overcharged the U.S. government for military support services to the tune of ten billion dollars...which they've already been paid under the terms of more than one no-bid contract.

I suspect that what we have here is a case of government collusion. I don't think Haliburton intended to make its move until Bush43 left office. They could be accelerating their plans due to the rise of a hostile Congress.

Assumng that the doubters are right, this move still places Haliburton staff and records in a position to evade government prosecution.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Halliburton makes huge money off this war, Cheney orders the US military to bomb em, Cheney racks in huge bucks when his company reconstructs.

He may not own the company, Cheney, but he is on the payroll, and is an "adviser" and we all know policy is formed by the advisers, thats their job.

Why do you think Cheney today, went in front of the mike talking about if we pull out, the enemy wins...of course he doesnt want to pull out, why would he?

He tells you "if we pull out, they will attack us more" that defies all logic and is just another excuse to justify the escalation of this war, against the wishes of the entire world.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
lol I guess Halliburton is now telling everyone in the good ole United States of America the same thing Cheney said to Senator Leahy of Vermont in the halls of Congress.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I don't think we have to "imagine" that a pseudo-political group is influencing the U.S. economy. They're doing it right in front of us, just like I and others have said they would.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
But how can they do this "right in front of us" -- why is there no nation wide protest, marches like there was in the 60's? It's hard for a Euro to understand.

Is it the fetter of mortgage and credits that keeps the populous at bay.

I can understand the post-war Germans fall victim to deception, but a well-educated and enlightened people (maybe I'm wrong there) like Americans !?

I don't get it!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Three guesses on who still gets a check from Halliburton.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon...I can understand the post-war Germans fall victim to deception, but a well-educated and enlightened people (maybe I'm wrong there) like Americans !?

Americans have been dumbed down.

Some of the response to my post here proves it. Like FG said, "stupid is, stupid does"!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Well, I hope the CEO's wife and daughters like the Islamic was of life.....

---------------------------------------

www.kuwaittimes.net...

"Giving the woman the divorce right is against the bedoon traditions and rules. "It's not possible to make the women give orders and have the final word. Our traditions are against this, as the man and woman aren't equal. We do respect the woman, as she is our mother, wife, sister, and daughter, thus we don't accept the idea of her being the leader," said Fahad.
There was wisdom behind giving the right to divorce to men. "The woman is moody and changes her mind very quickly. She may divorce her husband easily, and this is against the idea of marriage. The man should have strong position in the society, and should have the final word," highlighted Bader."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I say let the corporations move to Russia, the Middle East, wherever they want....they can also live with the idea that their assetts can be siezed, their right lost, their family's lives threatened, and all the other headaches that come with it...
But, I also hope they also have to live with the loss of all those multi million gov't contracts that have kept them alive this long!

ahh...yes those poor, poor overtaxed corporations!! My guess is that they've drawn the last drop of blood from the american economy and are jumping ship before their host dies!!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
The industrial zones in Dubai are not taxed as you and I think of it. As a practical matter, the UAE is fast becoming a haven for the rich that does not force Islamic law. What we are seeing is the creation of a special place for the world's most elite.

Most of the people I know do not pay attention to financial news that doesn't affect their investments. It could very well be that in addition to other reasons, today's top U.S. corporations are getting out of America before the collapse.

As economic conditions in the U.S. worsen, we will probably see a hostile Congress enact laws that are hostile to big business. It could very well end up being politically expedient to "stick it" to big business. Any CEO worth their salt will see this coming.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

Originally posted by turnblom79
Why does everyone assume that Haliburton is greedy because it wants to make more money?

Well let's see. They already get no bid contracts. The contractors working overseas don't pay taxes, yet our soldiers do, so the taxes that our solders pay goes toward paying the contractors that supply their food and water. The former CEO is the vise president whom started a war in Iraq and created all kinds of new business for them.

And now the HQ will no longer be within the US where they not only will have to pay taxes, but I am sure they will be exempt from US law, regardless of what the article says.

This is not greed, this is capitalism at work.

That is not capitalism, that is a monopoly.

There are two edges to the sword. And I'm not referring to a scimitar.

Big oil is as much a utility as nuclear power or coal conversion. Whether or not it's politically correct, clean, or right...unfortunately the U.S. (meaning Americans) have found ourselves here.

That being said, oil companies are attached to politics like a piece of duct tape on a water main leak. I'm not going to be the one to rip it off quick like and see how fast the basement fills.

On the other hand, somebody better call the plumber. And in almost seven years, I haven't seen anyone step up from the Congress, House of Reps. or White House with the right tools to fix it.

Electric cars will not even do it alone. It's going to take a plan. An entire restructuring of the infrastructure and if you think looking at post-Cold War Russia is pathetic, give the U.S. ten years. We'll be fortunate if we can get everyone to work by bus and train.

No, Haliburton is a result of years of neglect and the inability for the entire nation to act in concert against something we knew was going to happen. The fuel shortage in the 70's was the canary in cage hitting the newspaper, kids.

What we need now is something like (and don't anyone take my suggestions and tell me I'm giving the "wrong" answer...I'm brainstorming) a chicken in every pot or the New Deal or something...ANYTHING. All systems go, full steam ahead is the only thing anyone has been given as long as the latest Administration has been in power and frankly, on the surface, it seems to the American people (the possesors of the greatest potential to affect change in this country - NOT the politicians) to be profit taking.

Do not show people how to build a nation by simply making more money. Show them how to care for themselves comprehensively. Show them hope through responsible leadership. Show them that being world leaders is not a burden, but a privilege and a challenge and an inheritance to be spent wisely.

Bitter citizens may rail gainst their own self-interests by relocating to other countries, but Haliburton is probably doing the only thing they can right now. Holding up their end, watching their back and saving their hide.

Remember - the stock market (which a great number of people rely on for their financial health) is probably keyed off activity of such a large company. Haliburton ain't no canary, but you better feed that bird anyway.

Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas

Originally posted by khunmoon...I can understand the post-war Germans fall victim to deception, but a well-educated and enlightened people (maybe I'm wrong there) like Americans !?

Americans have been dumbed down.

Some of the response to my post here proves it. Like FG said, "stupid is, stupid does"!

....for being narcissistic, self-centered, uncaring and generally speaking short sighted especially when it comes to tricking out their used Honda conversions or buying the latest in Apple iPod gear or any of the finer trappings of young, materialistic consumerism. This, by the by, is a trait common among nearly all young people, but especially young people who are not Americans because the United States has started the whole money-is-better thing. You know, being a world power and all.

May I suggest that rather than replying in the immediate fashion of caring for your comfort by flaming Americans (in which case...you are wrong. Americans are not stupid. They simply are too busy either trying to solve problems or run up debt, go figure.) that you being the uber-intelligent national that you are - start working on your own back yard.

I see a lawn gnome that needs a few weeds pulled from around its feet.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
C'mon, folks. Play nice. This is a discussion. The government policies and social situations that we find ourselves saddled with now do have their root causes, and we should be talking about them. The real quesiton should be, what's coming and what should we do about it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join