It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a new species of bird?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deemarie
I believe this is a Saw-Whet or Boreal owl. Most likely very young. I could be wrong on the species of owl, but that is as close as I can get without more detail in coloring around the face and chest. That is a really cool pic! How's come you didn't show it to me sooner?

Sorry sis, I didn't think about it till lately. I saved the pic on my desktop and from time to time I would search the net looking for something simular. But I could not find anything.. so I decided finially to post it on a few boards and see what others thought.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
Source: www.ohiohistorycentral.org...

So yeah, the European Starling is pretty common in Ohio.

Here's another picture. It looks pretty similar

The bird in my image had a mask. This one does not have a mask. I have not seen any Starlings with a mask. I don't think this is it.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hi everyone, I promised to keep you updated on this possible new species of bird, and I always keep my promises.

I have been posting to this bird forum and a lady nick named Ward9 sent images of a baby grackle. I can now safely rule out this bird in my image is a baby grackle.

Has anyone found any new info on this?

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Really, I would think it has to be in the owl family.

Here is a link that shows baby owls. None are exact, but the Great Horned Owl baby is similar.

www.pbase.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

oth look very similar

ish.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
interestedalways, thank you for the great link to all of the owl images. The Great Horned Owl does look simular to the bird I took a pic of. Maybe the bird in my image is a new species of owl? I am still looking for a bird with a leathery looking mask on the face and I have yet to see this.

Plus look at the eyes of the Great Horned Owl and the image of the owl that spyrolot provided for us, they are bright yellow. I don't remember this birds eyes being yellow. I would have remembered that because it really stands out.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Stari, (stupid question time?) have you tried the WhatBird.com identification yet? It's one of the best tools to help identify a bird, although your bird may be excluded from a search because it's a chic...

[edit on 5-3-2007 by Gemwolf]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
stari,

im skeptical to it being an owl, although it very much does look like the great horned thing.

owls, in my eyes, are always rather broad, and heavy looking, and even as chicks,

that bird, it looks streamlines, aerodynamic, like an average bird.
[
the leathery looking mask really is intruguing.

its a beautiful, yet sly looking bird, no?

could be an owl, but seems too aerodynamic.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Thanks Gemwolf for that link. I did not know about that site. I tried to find my bird there and I came up with nothing. I did bookmark the site though
Thanks again.

spyrolot, I am totally stumped as well. The tufts look a bit like owl ears but nothing else matches for an owl except for possibly the beak.

I will keep searching for an answer and keep everyone posted. Meanwhile if anyone comes across a image of a bird like mine please put me out of my misery and post it here. Thanks

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The eyes seem to be purple redish, I havent seen no birds posted here with similar colour eyes yet? Anyone know any birds with similar dark looking eyes. Might be a clue.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
The eyes seem to be purple redish,

Good point Phoenix. This birds eyes where dark in color. I thought like a brown.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well definetly not an Owl of any kind(at least a known one),the side view ensures that.And i think its too large and fat to be a baby grackle!(although i admit its possible)
If i were you i would contact the nearest univercity with a zoology-ornithology department,i am sure they are the most reliable source to ensure you if this is a registered species or not.
Oh and when i am saying the nearest univercity its because they would probably have a record of the species reside near your region.
Good luck and dont give up until you have a liable evidence what this is!
''Probably its a grackle'' is not good enough

[edit on 9-3-2007 by Antoine]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
identify.whatbird.com...

maybe it is one of these or in this family. the tail looks right as well as the beak.
and the slight color diff could be due to this being a young bird.
closest match i could find hope you get an answer and share with us

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Antoine
Good luck and dont give up until you have a liable evidence what this is!
''Probably its a grackle'' is not good enough

Thank you Antoine, I will not give up until I have an answer. When I get some free time I will start sending my pic off to some local places that may have an answer for me. I will definately keep everyone updated as I find out new things.

Originally posted by Dracmoor
maybe it is one of these or in this family. the tail looks right as well as the beak.
and the slight color diff could be due to this being a young bird.
closest match i could find hope you get an answer and share with us

That bird is missing the leathery looking mask. But thanks for looking. I really appreciate everyones help here in trying to find out what species this bird is.

I will keep everyone updated.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
any more news on what it could be?

the leathery mask still baffles me.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Looks kinda like a screech owl.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyrolot
any more news on what it could be?

the leathery mask still baffles me.

Hi Spyrolot, I have sent emails out to a Zoo in this area and a metropark. I am hoping I will recieve an email soon.

I will let you know what they say.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
just bumping it a bit, because im sitll very interested in the outcome of what this bird is.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I still haven't heard back from anyone that I emailed. I emailed the local Zoo and the State Parks.

Who else can I try?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
tried www.ornithology.com?

you can e-mail some guy or guyess with questions. here's the e-mail;

[email protected]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join