It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Dark Matter" Revisited... Revised... Rethunk...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Yep, i agree that an optional look would satisfy everyone.

I am used in dark matter and i wouldn't change it with anything...(at least anything
).

Since some members are not satisfied with that look then let them have it their way.

Plasma for them, dark for us

Heaven for them,
Hell for us... (jesting:lol

We can leave in harmony

Dragon

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
While there are lots of studies that rightfully show light text on dark on computer monitors reduces eye-strain...

Surprises me. My teacher in ergonomics a long time back was very clear about that: Black on white is better for the eyes. I never heard it the other way.

Also a sharp font with pixel is better forthe eyes than one with anti aliasing.
(I can only recomment to set the fonts of your browsers according)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Much better, yes.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I like the look of ATS now, it seems to fit this site. but the mock up is much easier to read. At least for these 50 year old eyes of mine

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   

While there are lots of studies that rightfully show light text on dark on computer monitors reduces eye-strain... a similar number of studies are showing that we've trained our brains to better recognize dark text on light (after all, that's 99.9% of all that we read).

What does everyone think?

Less eye strain is better IMO

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Dark backgound is easier for me to see. The lighter colors blend in with the light colored background making it more difficult to see clearly. The dark background makes the site look more mysterious and Above Top Secret. Rik Riley

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
IMHO

More white-------------------->more radiation towards the eyes
Less white and more dark--->less radiation towards the eyes

Dragon

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I like the dark matter. The lighter version does seem to strain my eyes more. Good suggestion about letting the "plasma" be an option. Besides, Dark Matter has a better verbal appeal than Plasma.

JCM

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I am new to ATS but enjoy the place!

I have de-programmed myself and enjoy the black background, but having the style change option would be nice as we are all so different. I would enjoy changing the look now and then from my preferences. If I had to pick between the two I would stay with the black background.

It took me a while to locate the link to find all my posts, so I might go back and view any replies in threads started by others. You might consider making that link a little easier to locate for new members to ATS like myself.

All in all good job!

Thanks

JCM

JCM

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Not for nothing eh, but it would be nice if you all would work the kinks out of the ATS chat cause it is really really bad sometimes. I mean i personally really like the black its much easier for me to read and it doesnt hurt my eyes as much after hours of reading.

either way yall rock and the site rocks thanks again

Da pom pom strikes back

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I've been here for 3 years plus and I gotta say, I like this Dark Matter theme the best. If possible, make the "Plasma" theme an optional theme.

I think the light on dark is very pleasing to the eyes plus the dark theme fits the nature of ATS very well. Even on BTS, it works well.

I'd be disappointed if this dark theme was to go. At the very most, Plasma should be an optional secondary theme for those who want it.

Plus, it doesn't draw attention when I'm up late at night browsing
keeps my room nice and lowly lit

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Totally cool - I really dig that lighter colors other than the dark textures. I think the black is cool for first timers and is very attractive - but when your viewing the site for an extended period of time, perhaps more then 30 to 45 minutes then it does kind of become straining to the eyes...atleast for me.

I like the plasma idea and I think you should implement it !

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher777
I like the dark matter. The lighter version does seem to strain my eyes more. Good suggestion about letting the "plasma" be an option. Besides, Dark Matter has a better verbal appeal than Plasma.

Agreed 100% dark matter works better for me, especially if I'm reading on the forums for a great length of time. Plasma looks like a good option for those who want to use it, but I'm quite partial to the darker skin.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

But in the informal testing I did, most people took longer to find foums on the home page in Dark Matter than they did in a ligher version.

Also, some people have never noticed the picture phone headline at the top of every page, but light background, it was the first thing people noticed.

I very much like how "Dark Matter" looks overall... but am concerned with cognitive issues.

I definately have noticed an issue with the forum theme, being white (and other colors) on black.

While I do find it pleasing to read posts with the grey/black background, I do find it difficult to scan through the 'recent posts' and 'my ats faves'.

In the past, I'd quickly scan through all of the 'recent posts' to see if anything grabbed my attention. Now; I can't even get through the top ten, before exiting the site.

When I sit down to the 'puter, I usually only have 10-15 mins of time to pass. If it takes me longer than a minute to scan the most popular topics, I move on. And, like most folks out there, I have a few favorite sites I frequent.

I love this site, but scanning the 'recent topics' takes too much time for my eyes to adjust, especially when I'm coming from another site.

However; when I do find a topic of interest, I enjoy the grey background and it is less stress on the eyes.

So, a suggestion?

How about grey/black on white for the 'recent posts' and white on grey/black for the threads?

While I understand the need for an internet website to stand out; it's not the colors that attract people, it's the content. The ease of content read-a-bility will keep the people.

-Sour

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
i'm really happy with the centering of the whole forum. Before it was left hand justified and my widescreen would be effected. Now its centered and its perfect

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think the Plasma layout looks great and is much easier on the eyes (personally). Got to agree with the early post by apex, though: the "who's on" section at the bottom could use a bit more contrast.

MBF

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Good God that lighter one is so much easier for me to read. The younger people here may love the dark better, but us older people can read the lighter better.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I love your "plasma" design. I can scan the page and really see what's there so much more quickly than the "dark" layout. (I didn't have a problem with the dark layout until I saw this better option).

The plasma design is great looking too. Love the rounded corners and the transparent hover boxes.

It looks polished and professional. And logical! All things we want ATS to convey to the world.

Hope you offer this version soon because it's definitely the one I'd choose.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think it's great, I have no problem reading whats written.
It's alot nicer than when it was grey but that was fine too.
If it's going to be changed at all I think it should be optional, kinda like the light/dark tab...

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I can deal with the idea, but I kinda like it the way it is now. When it changed not too long ago, I found that I immediately liked it. I was so happy that I pointed it out to a few people. As others have stated, if you institute this new design, please keep this one as a backup option for those of us that like it.

The new design isn't bad, mind you. It's just too..... bland I think is the word. It's all light colors, and leaves no room for the flare that I've come to enjoy here. Now I'll never leave here of course, no matter what happens, but I just like it the way it is. It looks great, and it feels great. Can make the organizational things happen easily enough, without having to redesign the whole website's tileset.

I hope a good compromise can be reached. Good Luck.

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
My personal preference, since that was asked for, is a lighter background. I currently use the lightest available background now, but lighter still would be welcome.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join