It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Dark Matter" Revisited... Revised... Rethunk...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I think darkmatter is much easier to read. your eyes dont have to be exposed to the super bright lights as much.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I love Dark Matter. But what I like about it is the 'feel' more than anything. I have mine set on dark. And I do great. It's sort of haunting and mysterious.
But I rarely visit the page in your sample (the main ATS page).

I'm sorry if this has been asked, but if you change away from dark matter and go to Plasma, would the actual text pages change, too? Or would it just be the main ATS page that would change from the way it is now?

Ultimately, I don't care what you do. I'll be here and I'll be happy. I just wanted to weigh in.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
From my personal view, i wouldn't change dark matter. It's easy for me to use without having my eyes tired.

Make it optional to those who feel better with a plasma background and to those who remain stick to the ''dark'', like me.

Dragon

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
My eyes are sensitive and I prefer the dark screens better. White or light colored screens always make my eyes hurt after reading them for awhile.

I prefer the Dark Matter theme definitely.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Let me preface my observations with a disclaimer: I have been emperically demonstrated to be really wierd. I screwed up all of the correlations in my cousin's science fair project last year when extremely loud heavy metal lowered my blood pressure and pulse appreciably.

You may have to consider my observations in that light.

• Soft, soothing colors, including the khaki or cream or whatever it is in the plasma sample, make me angry because they give me the impression that somebody is trying to calm me down; you get a lot of that in some Mc Donald's restaurants.

• The old grey was better than the light background option of Dark Matter because it contrasted less with the often black mini-profiles, thus causing your attention not to be called away from the text field.

• I remember things better when they depart from expectations. On the rare occasions that my near-photographic memory isn't getting things done in school, I alternate red and green pen in my notes and turn the paper landscape style.

I think all of those things make Dark Matter a really good scheme for my particular temperment. The slow down is probably a product of increased awareness; did you ever catch yourself reading REALLY fast and suddenly realize that you couldn't remember anything but the very last sentence you'd read?

If Darkmatter does need to go, I'd try a more moderate tweak of the old "infinite shades of grey as far as the eye can see" scheme. It was slightly and very pleasantly different from most other sites even then.

Grey is nice. When I finally get my first house, I'll probably do the same thing with my living room that I did with my bedroom as a kid- paint the walls battleship grey and furnish everything in black.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hang the dissenters. ATS isn't about appeasing the minority of jelly-spined whiners out there. The black background looks best, is best, conveys more of a sense of mystery, demands MORE ATTENTION BE PAID by the feeble-minded weaklings. Oh, oh, the white text is hurting my eyes! Let's change the whole Constitution! Yeah? Well, not on my watch, sissy-boys! You just let me know who these goggle-eyed nerds are, and I'll take care of 'em, damn, you bet.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm with the others on the dark screen. I like it very much. Everyone that I show it to are impressed.

I find it personally much easier to read. So, my vote is with Dark Matter still.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
SkepticOverlord,

Let me congratulate you on this Dark Matter interface first.A truly fine achievement.
With that being said,you know that you will never please everybody

To the subject : Personally, i like the black background and white writing
It's true our brain is used with books ( the other way around ),but as long as there is a definite contrast between background and letters, i can read it just fine.
Either than that,i don't know how can you solve this one,but please,whatever you do,don't change too much the "personality" you've built already into this interface.

Two more things :

1-I find the centered version on your mockup a good idea.
2-My eyes are sensitive as well ( as someone else mentioned here before me).A white background kills me.I preffer dark(er).

Cheers.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Bursuc]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
IMHO I would keep this existing theme and just add on a certain customization when the time permits and place it perhaps in a drop down box? Maybe in the member center add a 'default customization' setting? That's what I would but only if its possible

I guess though playing with the default theme is fun to see if stats arise but as I said I would keep previous versions that have no technical problems.

Please holla back and tell me what you think.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I LOVE Dark Matter. It's beautiful. I'm not fond of the lighter look personally. I haven't read the whole thread, just letting you know my preference.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'm one of the people who definitely has a problem reading light text on a dark background. For me, the light version has really solved my problems since I rarely go to the home page and almost the only text I read is the posts that the light option fixes.

But, seeing as the goal is to help retain people viewing the site for the first time, I would have to say the new "plasma" design is probably much better. Even most people here who say they like the dark page still admit it took some getting used to, something that new users won't have had. Plus, people having problems reading the light text on dark will probably abandon the site before they even discover the light option.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Is this a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease? The pissed off customer who rushes to tell ten people about their dissatisfaction, while the happy customer will tell one person the odd time.

Maybe a formal poll can be erected to get a true indication of what the members feel. Offer two choices, Dark Matter or Plasma.

Other than members still in the transitional phase or problems on their end of things, I do not see what they really have to complain about. The text is not that difficult to read, and we have a choice in the matter to our color scheme.

I've read plenty of members expressing their displeasure, but I honestly do not see where it is coming from.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm one of the people who definitely has a problem reading light text on a dark background. For me, the light version has really solved my problems since I rarely go to the home page and almost the only text I read is the posts that the light option fixes.

But, seeing as the goal is to help retain people viewing the site for the first time, I would have to say the new "plasma" design is probably much better. Even most people here who say they like the dark page still admit it took some getting used to, something that new users won't have had. Plus, people having problems reading the light text on dark will probably abandon the site before they even discover the light option.

So maybe the solution is having the option between the two? With the Plasma background as the default?

[edit on 3-2-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think that if we are talking about ease of read, then we should have these 'chocholate' (aka dark matter) colored pages like we do now, and just make the fonts bigger all around.

Also, while the light is nice on its own, the chocholate look works better with those intense greens and oranges that we have, they look more light lights in the dark.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Nygdan]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Maybe a formal poll can be erected to get a true indication of what the members feel. Offer two choices, Dark Matter or Plasma.

Didn't we already have a poll on dark matter? Were the results ever published? I don't remember seeing them.

Another suggestion (if things are going to change)...the small icons on the recent posts page are just to small to see with the folder taking up so much space, is there a way to redesign the small icons just to show the image in front of the folder? In the old design, I was able to glance at the small icons and instantly know what forum the listed threads were in, and now I really can't...I know I need glasses!

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by djohnsto77

So maybe the solution is having the option between the two? With the Plasma background as the default?

[edit on 3-2-2007 by intrepid]

Now I like this idea, I say we have an option to decide which background suits us better.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Dark Matter good.

The only problem with it is going outside of the site and having to re-adjust to the blinding glare of other sites.

Stay the course SO, Dark Matter is so much better.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I like the current style of "dark matter" much better. Light backgrounds with dark text are much harder on my eyes.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Personally I prefer the dark & I don't know how I will deal with another change..... change makes me mad.

As long as its not magenta on yellow - we're cool.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
At first I didn't like the dark background much but I've gotten used to it and looking at the sample page I actually prefer the current setup.

Keep up the great work.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join