It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Dark Matter" Revisited... Revised... Rethunk...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
When I first joined the ats a couple of years ago, I tryed to change the colors to what i wanted and of course it wouldn't allow that. Is their a chance it could be done like that to where if we wanted to we can choose our own. Like I have yahoo as my homepage and I choose my colors. I dont know if this is the same thing though.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
If I'm not too late with the input, I like the dark matter home page as it is. My problem was with reading the threads.

Maybe you could have the best of both worlds. I think it would look great and be less stressful on some eyes if you used the lighter version presented for the text background of the threads only.

When you read the threads, you would still have the dark background sourrounding the middle text area. The text area would be the lighter grey color with black text.

IMHO, I think it would be an awsome color contrast also.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Completely love it, it is definitely much easier to read.

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I like the greys and navy blue of that new hompage design...really 'smart' looking.

But I REALLY like Dark Matter...choices choices choices.

How many poeple are complaining about the light on dark...As a web designer myself..it's what I usually go for, the light text on dark draws your eye to it more than dark text would on a light background...

But if the complaining few only reach 5-10% of the ATS family...what's the problem? That's actually pretty good for web!

I like Dark Matter.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Wow! It certainly is a leap away from Dark Matter. It's almost overpowering.

If I had to choose, I'd take the new proposal. But my first choice would be "the old ATS look"".

However, I understand the problems that SO was addressing when he decided to redesign. I just wonder if there were any other solutions to the problem, other than re-design

But give that guy a beer, folks. You're not gonna find another dedicated tekkie dude like him as long as you live.

Bill Gates + Skeptic Overlord? This would have been a very different screen we are looking at, guaranteed.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a lime green theme would rawk for me

bring back themes woo!

also a darkest matter would be bubhosh too.

Ex

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I personally think Dark Matter sets the mood for the issues
and discussions !
I personally love it, but also see that there are many who would
prefer the Plasma look.
I think you could get rid of the light choice all together
and install Dark & Plasma as the two theme choices!

I must say I see alot of folks that browse the pages,
yet never post
and wonder if there could be some sort of initial welcome
that encouraged first time cruisers to jump right in and get
their feet wet in that first post..after that ,if they are anything like me
will become totally obsessed with this magnificent site!

SO............words escape my feeble mind here as I try to express
my ongoing admiration of this spectacular site .
Whatever you decide to do will be great , I am sure!

[edit on 2/4/2007 by Ex]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Nope.

Dark Matter Owns.

If I could have it my way, I'd leave it.

Maybe you could have it so that each individual can pick their colour scheme. That may be going too far though.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Just to add an additional comment.

I now visit the home page from time to time, due to the cool look of dark matter.
Before I just stayed bookmarked to my recent post, but now i will venture out, and even go to BTS which I stayed away from completely.

You actually got someone to go to BTS.

(Who, by the way only came to this thread for the ATS topics)

Change it to Plasma, or whatever, it will be less 'desirable' (at least) for some to go take a look at and hang out in.

Again, there is a light version for those who need light, not sure how many versions are needed to please all, It seems there would only be tweaking to light or to dark, now we need inbetween?

But it is as it is...

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I like the current scheme, but for those who don't, would it be possible for them to have an option in their Control Panel to change to a different scheme?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
"All things in moderation", so says the board. It sounds to me like we have a reasonable concensus on this. My only wish is that everyone gets what they'd like out of it. I'd even be willing to compromise a solution out somehow.

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I'm adding another comment purely in the interest of being helpful.

The only problem I really had with the Dark css was the lack of contrast when you bold a tag. The grey text doesn't "pop" all that much to demonstrate emphasis. I do like the "immersiveness" of the design - the dark sooty-ness is like space/time/fireside chats with friends. All those good things.

The Light css has too much dark/light contrast for my eyes, with the black borders and the light center for the post area. I have a sweeeet laptop with an extremely wide screen so I see lots of negative space. So that version is hard on my eyes.

To me the Plasma is the best of both worlds. It's got a certain smokiness AND excellent readability. And just the right amount of contrast: all the background colors stay in the back, so the text can be really prominent.

It's so great that this is the type of community that asks for user feedback. I appreciate you guys!

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Well, at first the "Dark Side" took me a bit getting use to, especially for this 58 year old brain.... but that said.... it has grown on me. I think the Dark gives a more brilliant contrast to the items displayed.

Of all the sites that I have "Googled" over the past years, I have found nothing that compares to the class and the quality that the ATS pages display.

Just one opinion among many.

Dave

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
For me, personally, I do not care what the page I am reading looks like. I will even go as far as saying that even with my fading eyesight, I am able to read everything - clearly!

The only issue I have, is the continued 'logging-on' for all sites within the ATS Network. I would also like to remain logged-on until I choose to logg-out and kill cookies.

Apart from that, I love the ATS Network. Please keep up the good work.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I prefer the dark background with light text. It took only a very short time for my eyes to adjust to it and now that they have i get far less headaches. I say keep the dark background, or would it be possible to have a choice of the two skins?

Keep ATS headache free, please.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Bah. I like the Dark Matter layout.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Okay then... even though I already said I don't want to... it seems clear that the best overall path for ATS members and visitors is to further refine the board code to fully support a CSS-driven look-and-feel, then provide a choice between "Dark Matter" and "Plasma" (with no "light" option within Dark Matter). Since this approach increases the need for multiple versions of over 220 distinct images (icons, buttons, titles, etc.), we'll likely only support two options.

Then, once finished, new visitors will be assigned one of the versions at random, and we'll be able to compare page-view performance (in aggregate, no IP-to-page comparisons
)

Thanks for your feedback. Given some other things "on the plate" of ATS, this may take some time to complete.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well, what about using GIF's with a transparent background??

If that could be done, there would be no need for duplicate icons.

admittedly this one was slapped together very fast, it could be done, imo.

for comparison on light background, switch to "Light"

edit to add...

Then again, no. Bad idea. Looks too choppy.

[edit on 2/4/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

ATS Dark Matter Revisited

While there are lots of studies that rightfully show light text on dark on computer monitors reduces eye-strain...

That pretty much sums it up. While people have had their brain "trained" into reading on the reverse, it is better to unwash your brain to use the Dark Matter format. For those who cannot free their mind there is the option to go "light," so if you wish add the option to go Plasma instead.

For me Dark Matter is how it should be. It is more physiologically functional.

Physiologically, light text on a dark background is easier to read. The ocular receptors are then triggered by the characters rather than the negative space around them which is what occurs with dark text on a light background. -Dr J M Gill. Ms S A Perera

Making a sudden change back to dark on light after such a short time seems like a mistake. ATS is, and should be innovative in it's design, and keeping a more functional format is a good idea. Reverting to a scientifically flawed design, simply to appease the brainwashed, seems contrary to the ATS motto of Deny Ignorance. Offer the Plasma option perhaps, but keep Dark Matter alive!!

Besides, who wants their eyes to be triggered by negative space??

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

I've been working on "ATS Plasma", a new look at refining the redesigned layout with lighter colors for improved text cognition.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a home-page-only mock-up, and it also lacks some key elements such as header-links and footer elements.

What does everyone think?

It's not to my taste, I prefer the Dark Matter. It to me, conjures up a physical representation of some of the debate that is held on these boards, as in political conspiracies (fact or fiction) being quite dark, and geopolitics, ufology and cryptozoology also being quite dark and spooky at times.

What I mean by the physical representation of the topics at hand is that it reminds one of dark back rooms or underground car parks where political conspiracies are shared, where people sit round a table in a dimly lit back room discussing these subjects, knowing the subjects they discuss are on subjects that enter the dark itself, the uknown, the mysterious, the interesting.

I am rambling, and I can't really convey what I mean about the background, but it adds a suitable atmosphere. the example you posted seemed a bit....cartoony? (Sorry...sorry...sorry...)

At the end of the day though, what it looks like does not matter....it's the subject matter and quality of the discussion board that does....and if the look is changed...I'm not going to be up in arms, I would accept it.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Regensturm

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join