It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Dark Matter" Revisited... Revised... Rethunk...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I did a quick test in my last post with a GIF icon that had a transparent background. It looked too choppy.

But what if you took out the reflection in front of the icon.

I realise that that is part of the visual appeal of the dark matter theme, but just what if...

If that could be done, you could probably use transparent GIFs for both Dark and Plasma?

Anybody else have thoughts about this?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Like Invision Board, you should display both designs for the users to choose which one they want.
In my opinion, plasma (or Light matter) is way better, looks like the older ATS design and it's really welcome. But who knows, maybe it would increase the bandwith demand or have other collateral effects @ programming issues, so choose what's the best for you, really.
Most people here are happy with the actual design (I think it's fantastic too) so don't worry much about it.

My best wishes for you.
[]s!

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think the dark look is very good to read.

Much better than the light set up.

So for me it can stay dark.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I love the ominous look of dark matter.
The colour choices for plasma are great but, it puts a strain on the eyes very bright.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I got used to DM but no matter the forum & people itself are much more important to me than DM & not that i don't worry about DM or the look/quality of the forum,logic the nicer the more appealing to people,i hope it stays but you need to do what will work best,but i hope it stays this way,but will not leave ATS if anything should change again.

Hoping DM stays as i had no problem in any way.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I prefer the 'dark matter'. However, I have no strong feelings either way. I will definitely not complain or gripe about either decision.

Good show of skills in working all of this up for presentation. Thank you for putting this out for comment.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'm also in favor of Dark Matter. Dark is associated with mystery, so considering the topics on the table at ATS, it fits well into the theme.

My only issue was the light text on dark background while reading posts. I just had a hard time reading at length, and at night, it made me sleepy. But then I found that little "Customize: Light" button, and all problems solved.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Okay then... then (we will) provide a choice between "Dark Matter" and "Plasma"... we'll likely only support two options.

Thanks for your feedback. Given some other things "on the plate" of ATS, this may take some time to complete.

SWEET!! Giving us a choice is very cool of you! Even though you'll have to dupe 220+ icons, it seems to be the best compromise!

Thanks

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I think it gives the site a professional look and it fits the whole idea of the website. It gives a better feel to the paranormal and the conspiracy type things.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I quite like it how it is, however the redesign is easier to read. I do notice my eyes going funny after a few hours on the site with all the black.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, if we've learnt nothing else from the introduction of Dark Matter it is that it is dangerous to jump to conclusions about the look of a site after only a short period of use so I'm a little reluctant to be too dogmatic about plasma on the strength of one page only.

To be somewhat perverse I have found myself using the "light" setting for ATS and the "dark" version for PTS, not for any vitally important reason, just that I thought I'd try them both over a period of time and found no particular reason to reset either one.

I guess the "light" version is a little more satisfying overall - "dark" has lots of artistic merit but in practical terms I find it doesn't work so well if I'm honest. Plasma looks very nice, but perhaps just a little washed out, or maybe that's an inevitable reaction after dark matter.

What it does do is to throw the icons in to much sharper relief which is nice but I think I'd be looking for some slightly stronger grey tones somewhere just to enhance the contrast a bit.

One of the most impressive things about this site overall, however, is that you asked what we, the humble members, thought. I can't recall any other forum which has had that courtesy.

Thanks for that.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I like the white background but the black stands out about ten times more. The white just looks to plane jane, like a regular window that weve seen all our computer lives. Will it be an option to choose or would that be asking too much? If you could try both out ffor a while it might be easier to decide.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
i like the new plasma one, dark matter has never agreed with me fsr

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Much prefer the plasma design. As an old person with poor eyesight, I need all the contrast I can get between the background and the foreground or else I just can't read very well.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
its pretty but it makews me feel like i should be buying something there

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Although a very well designed theme that looks very effective people still have different preferences so I think scrapping it would be a waste rather add another theme as needed and allow the customizations to grow

Also as I said before a default theme option in ATS member centre under account customizations would be great

edit: why isn't this a poll?

[edit on 4-2-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I would prefer the dark matter, I find it easier on the eyes, though the light background does look great. Plus i think it goes well with the whole theme of the website, a lot of dark deep conspiracies.

Well, thats my personal opionion. Great job by the way!

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I prefer dark matter...dealing with dark things !!!!!

Easier for me to view

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
While the "plasma" version looks good, I prefer the "Dark Matter" version. Perhaps it's just me (although there are probably others out there), but I prefer a greater contrast between the text and the background, whether it is light text on a dark background, or vice versa. I think there is a greater amount of contrast with "Dark Matter".

EDIT: Spelling

[edit on 2/4/2007 by DCFusion]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Black is beautiful baby. After the way we are currently set up, it kind of feels drab and ordianary.

Leave it like it is please. I love the look the way it is. I will admit you can read it a little better, but if feels all wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join