It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Untraceable Whistelblower Site To Go Online To Expose The Truth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Chinese dissidents, with the help of powerful encryption software,
say they will launch a site designed to let whistleblowers in author-
itariancountries post sensitive documents on the Internet without
being traced.

"Our primary interests are oppressive regimes in Asia, the former
Soviet bloc, sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East, but we also
expect to be of assistance to those in the West who wish to reveal
unethical behaviour in their own governments and corporations,"
says the site WikiLeaks.
An official for WikiLeaks in Washington, identifying himself as Julian
Assange, told AFP on Wednesday that the group hoped to go online
from March but had been "discovered" before its launch and was
not fully prepared for the publicity it was now receiving.

WikiLeaks is "an international collaboration, primarily of mathema-
ticians... of various backgrounds, some Chinese," said Assange,
who said he was a cryptographer and member of the advisory board.
The Chinese were not people living in China but expatriates, he added.

The site says it has already received "over 1.1 million documents
so far from dissident communities and anonymous sources."

PhysOrg.com

This has got to be one of the best uses for the internet that
has been devleloped since the beginning of this millenium.

I am very interested in this, as it will greatly hinder author-
itarian states from lieing to the rest of the world.

It is to bad that they were 'discovered' before they were
ready to be publicly known.

And here's a link to the site.
WikiLeaks.org

Comments, Opinions?

[edit on 1/10/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Very interesting. Obviously hopefully nothing but good comes from this. Good find.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm sure that internal steps will be taken to stem such treachery as they would call it. Leaks are put out all the time, testing covertly, make an example of someone who leaks not a lot, ensure that the remaining team members don't make the same error of judgment in leaking anything further.

I would like to think it will be beneficial, but a website doesn't change the corruptive and power hungry nature of our immature species. It's mere existence being yet another of a long line of indicators that we, as a species, don't know what we're doing.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
this is a step in the right direction.

I half expect the government to somehow prevent access to this site as soon as something shows up on it that makes them look bad. Of course it will be "hackers" that do it, not the noble and just government. right. uh-huh.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Good to hear.

Hopefully this site, WikiLeaks, will have some effect against corrupt regimes.

Good work

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
How can it possibly be untraceable?

If you are in one of these countries, you have to use 'their' system to connect and post on that site, no?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Must Read

Hmmm, could this new site be the playground for the free exchange of ideas and information from oppressed societies such as china or secretive documents from the U.S, or is it possible that the intent of this site is to employ millions of people as dummys to front for the C.I.A for information gathering, disinformation campaigns and money laundering.

John Young of Cryptome.org to who the site is registered seems to think so. Through a series of emails with the head person in charge of the main computer servers he believes that in actuality what he gave his name to, is in fact a front to the C.I.A.

In his collection of emails here,
cryptome.org...
he summarizes that

My objections had been building, shown in later messages, after initial support. The finally fed-up turnaround occurred with the publication today of the $5 million dollar by July fund-raising goal -- see messages at the tail-end. I called that -- along with a delay in offering a public discussion and critique forum and failure to provide a credible batch of leaked documents for public scrutiny -- a surefire indication of a scam. This is the exact technique used by snake oilers, pols and spies. Requests to Cryptome to keep stuff quiet are regular fare and they always get published. Next up, the names and affiliations of the perps if they don't reveal themselves in an open forum.

and this is by the person to who the site is registered to?!? I think that should throw up a big warning flag to people.

Just when I was getting excited about a site like this that would only supplement the free spread of information for all people around the world, it's like a slap in the face. I would like to see the developments of what happens before or even if the site still goes live.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Just because something is posted through onion routing doesn't mean that it's any more credible does it?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Everything is traceable, i wouldn't be surprised if the NSA was behind this website. It will give people a false sense of security and serious leaks can be censored and sealed up with a copper cork or two.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing
Everything is traceable, i wouldn't be surprised if the NSA was behind this website. It will give people a false sense of security and serious leaks can be censored and sealed up with a copper cork or two.

Well, more like everything can become traceable.

This group is coming up with a way that does'nt allow tracing the
way that it's been done up until now, from what I understand.

I have to say though, to many people are'nt optimistic enough about
this, I mean there's no reason a group of concerned people who want
to make the better would'nt do something like this.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
hahahahahah this is AWESOME!

Do you have any idea, if this goes- and if people actually believe the encryption will work, WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION THIS WILL BRING?

If I was the government, i'd put a little more money into Internet 2's launch.

This is absolutely awesome- i'm siked!

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
When are these documents scheduled to come out?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaguarmike
hahahahahah this is AWESOME!

Do you have any idea, if this goes- and if people actually believe the encryption will work, WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION THIS WILL BRING?

If I was the government, i'd put a little more money into Internet 2's launch.

This is absolutely awesome- i'm siked!

They are using PGP which is very secure... Combine that with hushmail, and some of the other cloaking programs then have linked to, end yes you will be anonymous! Here is what Wikipedia has to say about PGP, my bolding:

To the best of publicly available information, there is no known method for any entity to break PGP encryption by cryptographic, computational means regardless of the version being employed. In 1996, cryptographer Bruce Schneier characterized an early version as being "the closest you're likely to get to military-grade encryption" (Applied Cryptography, 2nd ed., p587). In contrast to security systems/protocols like SSL which only protect data in transit over a network, PGP encryption can also be used to protect data in long-term data storage such as disk files.

Pretty Good Privacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[edit on 12-1-2007 by DrLeary]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
When are these documents scheduled to come out?

It's scheduled to fully go online as early as sometime during
February, though it was originally scheduled to start during
March, atleast those were the plans before they became known.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
How about governments like in the US where is also corruption of politicians, I would love to read some gossip coming from our own white house.

Any hope that it we may have something dity here in the US to talk about?

Edn

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Some how I doubt this will work, first off if your behind the great firewall of China(asuming for this post that were Chinese :p ) you don't have much of a chance of accessing this site in the first place. Second they have no control over how you reach there site, there site is the end result and as such the only thing they can protect is who posts what on there site. It does not stop governments or ISP's tracing and logging who visits the site and because of that if they expect you posted something there they will arrest you and lock you up anyway.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by Edn]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
How about governments like in the US where is also corruption of politicians, I would love to read some gossip coming from our own white house.

Any hope that it we may have something dity here in the US to talk about?

Well, it was designed for authoritarian states, but they have said that
they expect some info from Western governments as well, and that
they won't censor it.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
this is awesome!
The people who created it..looks like this could be the next " myspace" in a way haha

i'd be checking on that site all the time

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Great initiative - lets hope it works.

Everything is NOT traceable - thats what the hype wants you to believe.

I'm watching this space.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It's now being reported in VG, the biggest norwegian newspaper as well. Link for those who speak norwegian: www1.vg.no...

It basically repeats everything posted so far, so I don't see the need to translate it, just pointing out that this is obviously a big deal since this kind of newspaper is reporting it. One thing worth mentioning is that they write that Wikileaks.org supposedly can't be blocked by firewalls/filters and similar. I'd be interested to know just how they do this though... Probably some kind of dynamic DNS system continuosly changing it's name.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join